• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2011 Preseason Thread |OT2| - Everyone's Undefeated! (except Rex Ryan's wife)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
iapetus said:
No shit. Hey, it's not like this always happens or anything, though, right?

You had starters? The Jags were missing all their top players on offence (Jones-Drew, Lewis, even Garrard - while he's not the best QB, he's the starter, and the only one we've got with real starting experience) against a Bradyless Patriots team. By the time most of the points were scored, it was against defences made up mostly from guys who won't be in the NFL in week one. Is there interesting information to be had from the games? Well duh. Does that interesting information include the final score? Hell, no.
I don't know if I've ever seen someone agree in such a confrontational way. :jnc

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Wellington said:
I don't know if I've ever seen someone agree in such a confrontational way. :jnc

It's an overflow from reading message boards and letters pages elsewhere full of people prophesying doom and calling for actual executions among the coaching staff for the abject failure that is losing a preseason game.

Miguel

Going to be interesting facing the Saints saturday, want to see how we handle the blitz. Hopefully a ton better than the Niners do.

mre said:
Here's the last play of the Jets-Texans if anyone missed it. I'd mute my sound if I were you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bYjiBZDo3U

Cant believe I missed this. I have never seen a QB try to throw a pass that far across the line of scrimmage before. I thought McElroy was supposed to be smart? If I were the Jets I would cut him right now. I know he had a decent night numbers wise, but there is nothing that is ever going to develop from a guy dumb enough to throw that pass.

I H8 Memes said:
Cant believe I missed this. I have never seen a QB try to throw a pass that far across the line of scrimmage before. I thought McElroy was supposed to be smart? If I were the Jets I would cut him right now. I know he had a decent night numbers wise, but there is nothing that is ever going to develop from a guy dumb enough to throw that pass.
Lol, he actually got the first down and STILL threw.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Antrel Rolle continued to struggle in coverage, as he was late coming over on the completion to Brandon Lafell. Rookie Tyler Sash, who is expected to take over the role of the departed Deon Grant, was also responsible for the Olsen touchdown. Rolle himself was fortunate that Clausen didn’t look to his left on the first play of the third Panthers drive, as he was beaten cleanly off the line by Olsen

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/15/first-impressions-–-giants-panthers/

Been saying he stinks for quite some time now.
2EEgq.gif

Eric Walton said:
Okay. He's a rookie, a seventh round pick (sixth?). In his first pre-season game. The kid gets flustered.

Please.

Dude this is so much worse then what Dan Orlovsky did. Orlovsky only stepped out of the back of the end zone by maybe 2 yards. And that was with his back to the end line of the endzone. McElroy was 30 feet beyond the line of scrimmage. Counting his dropback he ran 58 feet forward and still tried to throw the pass. In all my years I have never seen a QB, no matter how bad, run so far and still try to throw a pass. I dont think I ever will again. Nobody on this forum would have tried to throw that pass. Where are the instincts?

Miguel

I H8 Memes said:
Dude this is so much worse then what Dan Orlovsky did. Orlovsky only stepped out of the back of the end zone by maybe 2 yards. And that was with his back to the end line of the endzone. McElroy was 30 feet beyond the line of scrimmage. Counting his dropback he ran 58 feet forward and still tried to throw the pass. In all my years I have never seen a QB, no matter how bad, run so far and still try to throw a pass. I dont think I ever will again. Nobody on this forum would have tried to throw that pass. Where are the instincts?
He was just hoping the 3rd string referees were in the game too.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
bluemax said:
I'm sure that will help him in his future career selling cars.
Eh, I don't think McElroy ends up selling cars given his familial connections and his own off-field talents. Despite his fuck-up last night, the kid knows football inside and out and can talk about it intelligently. If he doesn't go into coaching, he'll either end up in front of the camera (unless the camera just hates gingers) or in the front office of some NFL team.

Crazymoogle said:
Not that I should defend the Jets for any reason, but he pretty much had to, game clock was at :00, it was either pass or game over.
That's a poor defense.

He clearly committed to running. To run for that many yards then throw reeks of poor decision making. H8 Memes is right to roast him for that.

eznark

Banned
I H8 Memes said:

I think he was trying to get out of bounds with time left, realized he was too slow about it, and just chucked the ball for the fuck of it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Eric Walton said:
Okay. He's a rookie, a seventh round pick (sixth?). In his first pre-season game. The kid gets flustered.

Please.

Madden: I'm pretty sure those rules are the same on every level...

bionic77

Wellington said:
I feel like some guys (fans and media) are putting too much stock in what was the first week of pre-season games after the lockout. This was the first time in a very long time most players got to see game time at an NFL speed. Remember that the new CBA removed parts of off-season training that make the transition to on the field conditioning and reactive play easier.

It wasn't long ago that we were saying that it would take a few weeks of the regular season to see more normalized NFL play, yet now we have guys flipping out on what was often times less than a full quarter of play from starters.

Please also remember that the coaches have had much less time to look at UDFAs and rookies this season than year's past.

Edit:

Don't get me wrong I am pretty disappointed with what the Giants did in the game against the Panthers, but all of the stuff that went wrong were issues related to rust. The starting OL being out of sync, 3+ missed tackles on a number of plays, timing patterns/throws being way off (I saw a number of by Eli and Sage that were there late and almost pick-sixed whereas Eli was a beast regarding outs last year), not maintaining lanes on routine ST plays, flat out not knowing blocking assignments, etc.
If you are of a team that has no hope of winning the Superbowl (i.e. Browns, Pats, Packers, etc), then it makes perfect sense to overrate the significance of preseason success, because let's be honest, that is probably the only success those teams are going to have this season outside of maybe a top 10 in some random sites power rankings.

Let the Brown fans have their preseason. If you take that from them then what else are they left with other then a lake that burns and Drew Carey? This is the happiest they are going to be until they get their free tshirts from the loser of the Superbowl.

Wellington said:
I feel like some guys (fans and media) are putting too much stock in what was the first week of pre-season games after the lockout. This was the first time in a very long time most players got to see game time at an NFL speed. Remember that the new CBA removed parts of off-season training that make the transition to on the field conditioning and reactive play easier.

It wasn't long ago that we were saying that it would take a few weeks of the regular season to see more normalized NFL play, yet now we have guys flipping out on what was often times less than a full quarter of play from starters.

Please also remember that the coaches have had much less time to look at UDFAs and rookies this season than year's past.

Piggybacking off of this.....I saw people complain about the big dropoff after the Falcons starters went out and you have to remember that the majority of those guys didn't even get their playbooks until the lockout was lifted. Talk about trial by fire this preseason.

LevelNth

Banned
Finally finished updating my Madden 10 rosters (refuse to buy the newest version) for the new season (tweaked some ratings too), and started my new franchise with the Niners. I've found I always have to tweak the difficulties and CPU ratings (make the CPU run more effective so they actually do it, etc) so it'll be a learning curve... but my season opener was hilarious.

Final score: 61-7 for the Niners over the Cardinals. Oh it get's better.

A.Smith - 121.7 passer rating, 3TD, 0INT, 296YDS, 20/33 60.6%
F.Gore - 25CAR, 96YDS, 2TD

K.Kolb - 2.7 passer rating, 0TD, 7INT, 114YDS, 10/39 25.6%

Culliver and Willis each has a pick six, and Willis had two picks and led in tackles.

Best stat though? Goldson set a new NFL record for most INT in a game... with 5!! Guy is only an 81 overall with subpar zone coverage skills.

Difficulty is already pretty high, but I'll be tweaking a lot more. Seriously though, the INT's were just hilarious. I wasn't even doing anything special, just had a great blitz package and Kolb kept making idiotic throws.

Oh and just to ice it, Willis rammed Kolb on an Engage Eight blitz late in the third, and broke his rib. Kolb's out til Week 5.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I still want to see the play before GMAC's adventure. No one talks about the WR dropping a game winner.

But my guess was, he thought he could get out of bounds with time left, realized he couldn't, and chose the absolutely wrong thing to do. His choices should have been, attempt to run into the end zone, or look to start a Lateral Party.

mre

Lonestar said:
I still want to see the play before GMAC's adventure. No one talks about the WR dropping a game winner.

But my guess was, he thought he could get out of bounds with time left, realized he couldn't, and chose the absolutely wrong thing to do. His choices should have been, attempt to run into the end zone, or look to start a Lateral Party.
I agree, but the bolded would have been beyond stupid in a pre-season game. Of course the option he chose was also beyond stupid, but at least he didn't have a LB or Safety separate his head from his body.

And that pass that was dropped by the WR was beautiful.

Lonestar

mre said:
I agree, but the bolded would have been beyond stupid in a pre-season game. Of course the option he chose was also beyond stupid, but at least he didn't have a LB or Safety separate his head from his body.

And that pass that was dropped by the WR was beautiful.

Ah, but the Vets on his team would have respected his Decapitated Head a bit more than his current Capitated Head.

mre

Lonestar said:
Ah, but the Vets on his team would have respected his Decapitated Head a bit more than his current Capitated Head.
Fuck 'em. They were out of pads sipping mojitos on the sidelines.

Bowser

The Washington Redskins’ supposed quarterback competition between Rex Grossman and John Beck isn’t a fair fight. The winner is predetermined. The fix is in.

All along, the job has been Beck’s to lose.

That’s what Redskins people have been saying privately for months, insisting Coach Mike Shanahan and his son, Kyle, the team’s offensive coordinator, have already selected their guy. That for better or worse, the Shanahans are rolling with Beck.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-quarterback/2011/08/15/gIQA6Wn5GJ_story.html

:jnc

LevelNth

Banned
Wrayfield said:
Dude, that's nothing. Henne threw for 8000 yards in 2010 :)
Hahaha, that's awesome. My offensive stats were actually kind of normal, 5 total TD's is completely cool. And frankly, Smith is capable of a game like that.

It was the insane turnovers that got me the amazing field position every time, not to mention two defensive TD's and 4 FG's by Akers.

The Ravens rushed for 397YDS week one too. Both Rice and Williams had huge games.

TheFatOne

In the last two years have the Jets lost anyone significant to injury? It seems like they have been incredibly lucky on the injury front the last two seasons.

Lonestar

TheFatOne said:
In the last two years have the Jets lost anyone significant to injury? It seems like they have been incredibly lucky on the injury front the last two seasons.

Kris Jenkins?

MechDX

600xPopupGallery.jpg
600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

I know its preseason but its sooooooo good. I mean holy shit 7 sacks. When is the last time the Texans had 7 sacks in any game. We had 8 in all of preseason last year.

Tedesco!

TheFatOne said:

Michelle Ryan had athlete's foot.....

AYe everybody is putting too much stock in pre-season, but it's because we're football starved and we need this shit. This pre-season is the first in a while where like I've tuned into NFL Network to see what happened.

TheDrizzler said:
I can't wait til post-Ben and the Steelers go 10-20 years without a QB.

I'd say that but as a Pats fan, I'm preparing for when the Patriots have absolutely no QB, Belichik retires, and we go back to being total dogs of the AFC.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
chuckddd said:
As promised, I have created a fantasy football league. It's on Yahoo and it's 12 teams. That means 11 open spots, get 'em while they're hot!

Draft is tentatively set for 8/27 at 5:30 EDT. Settings may be reviewed here: NeoGAF cat.gif league ID# 548680

PM me for the password. Sign in page is here.

For the morning folks and people who missed it due to the rolling spam of a certain junior and his alt.

Crazymoogle said:
Not that I should defend the Jets for any reason, but he pretty much had to, game clock was at :00, it was either pass or game over.

Might have helped if he did before running 10 yards down the field, he looked awful, even for preseason.

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
I can't wait til post-Ben and the Steelers go 10-20 years without a QB.

Like where the Dolphins are now? Yeah, it will come, but the Steelers will still win some games, unlike the Dolphins. They made the playoffs with the following quarterbacks guiding their teams: Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomzcak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox. I bet the dolphins would kill for any of those right about now.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
bionic77 said:
If you are of a team that has no hope of winning the Superbowl (i.e. Browns, Pats, Packers, etc), then it makes perfect sense to overrate the significance of preseason success, because let's be honest, that is probably the only success those teams are going to have this season outside of maybe a top 10 in some random sites power rankings.

Let the Brown fans have their preseason. If you take that from them then what else are they left with other then a lake that burns and Drew Carey? This is the happiest they are going to be until they get their free tshirts from the loser of the Superbowl.
That's another thing, I felt as if the younger teams were the ones that really played balls out. It's understandable, to be honest. Think if you're the Bucs, Lions, or Browns, big wins over (mostly) playoff teams can push your young guys to have that mentality that they can beat anyone, no matter how skewed it may be. If I'm a coach damned right I try to make statements with those games for my young team.

Futurevoid said:
Giants brothers, good news...

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/08/giants_re-sign_safety_deon_gra.html

Glad to hear it. He played well for us last year and he was someone I'd hoped we'd resign. It gives Sash some time to develop as well.

We need depth anyway. Maybe he had no bites on the whole starting thing.

MechDX

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/16/ty-warren-may-have-a-serious-triceps-injury/

The Broncos entered the post-lockout world with a massive hole at defensive tackle.

They mostly filled it with veterans other teams didn’t want, with former Patriot Ty Warren being the centerpiece. And now they may have a big hole again.

Warren suffered a triceps injury on Monday that is believed to be serious, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post. Fellow starter Marcus Thomas also left practice with a strained pectoral muscle and had to undergo an MRI Monday night.

The 1-2 punch could be devastating for a shaky Broncos defense. Warren, 30, was available in large part because he missed all of last season with a hip injury. Denver owes Warren $4 million for 2011, which made him the team’s biggest free agent signing.

The team’s next in line at defensive tackle: former Eagle Brodrick Bunkley and former Redskin Jeremy Jarmon.

Broncos fans must be having flashbacks. Last year, the team spent good money on former Patriots defensive lineman Jarvis Green. He didn’t make the team and is now out of the league.

Karmas a bitch. Said he would go to Houston for vet minimum because it was close to home.

TheFatOne

Wellington said:
Here you go: http://backseatfan.com/2010/06/2010-2011-nfl-players-on-injured-reserve/

There's a link at the bottom for the 2009 list. The Jets had five guys on IR last season (Why is Jim Leonhard of the list?), for the year before that.

Thank you sir.

Edit: Now I need to figure out if any other players missed games. For instance, last season Mike Wright missed the last 6 games for the Pats. The only major injury for the Jets the last two seasons has been Kris Jenkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom