• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2011 Preseason Thread |OT2| - Everyone's Undefeated! (except Rex Ryan's wife)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
TheFatOne said:
Thank you sir.

Edit: Now I need to figure out if any other players missed games. For instance, last season Mike Wright missed the last 6 games for the Pats. The only major injury for the Jets the last two seasons has been Kris Jenkins.
What do you mean by major? I just said that the Jets have had 9 guys on IR the last two seasons combined.

Bread

Banned
The Albatross said:
I'd say that but as a Pats fan, I'm preparing for when the Patriots have absolutely no QB, Belichik retires, and we go back to being total dogs of the AFC.
No need to prepare for something so far away.

The Jets lost Jenkins all year last year, and Revis/Leonhard for part of it to injury.
The year before, it was Jenkins and Washington who were lost.

They've had a number of people out for various portions of each season though, either through injury or suspension...I wouldn't say the Jets were lucky with their personnel at all.

captmcblack said:
The Jets lost Jenkins all year last year, and Revis/Leonhard for part of it to injury.
The year before, it was Jenkins and Washington who were lost.

They've had a number of people out for various portions of each season though, either through injury or suspension...I wouldn't say the Jets were lucky with their personnel at all.

no, obviously the Jets have been very lucky with injuries because they have NO depth at all. hyuk.

you're not a real team unless youre the Pats who can dig all the way to Practice Squad-ers and not miss a beat!

Smokey

Miguel said:
awesome.

1560's been a mess for over 2 years now, caught off guard by the announcement that he left, but not entirely surprised. Him, Matt and Adam are the 3 best hosts, and I'm sure Lance will eventually take over the entire Gwinn spot (10-12) whenever Gwinn's contract is up. 790 went from nowhere 18 months ago, to leading the pack. Be interesting to see if they are able to snag either of the 2 major sports from 610, they already (sort of) have baseball (740) and soccer.

I only listen to 790 and have been for years. Gwinn is probably on his way out and he knows it. Never listend to 1560 and 610 is a shill for the Texans. They are hard to listen to.

790 has always been the best in my mind if for no other reason than they have Charlie Palilo. I'm suprised that guy doesn't do syndicate radio.

jakncoke

Banned
Cap is so funny in how it can be manipulated. Just by playing around with bonuses. Give Woodley 8 more million this which must be damn well nearly all signing bonus cause it saved us like 12 million lol

Spectral Glider said:
Might have helped if he did before running 10 yards down the field, he looked awful, even for preseason.

Like where the Dolphins are now? Yeah, it will come, but the Steelers will still win some games, unlike the Dolphins. They made the playoffs with the following quarterbacks guiding their teams: Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomzcak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox. I bet the dolphins would kill for any of those right about now.

Exactly like where the fins are now, btw Griese missed like 10 games with a broken ankle the year we went undefeated. We invented winning with no names under center!

And we won the division in '08!

We need depth anyway. Maybe he had no bites on the whole starting thing.
Yep, it's official:

espn_nfceast ESPN Blogs NFC East
RT @TheBlueScreen: And it's official. Tom Coughlin confirms S Deon Grant has re- signed. #NYG

Also a quote from Ralph V:

TheBlueScreen Ralph Vacchiano
Deon Grant says he turned down other opportunies before returning to the #NYG. Hints that one of those opportunities was with Philly.

Hahaha, wtf, that's the most overblown quote.

"I used to hate the Eagles, now I dislike the giants."

GIANT HEADACHE!!!!!
Seriously. Guy talks smack about division rival, then goes to that division rival and talks smack about former team. NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED.

Miguel

Smokey said:
I only listen to 790 and have been for years. Gwinn is probably on his way out and he knows it. Never listend to 1560 and 610 is a shill for the Texans. They are hard to listen to.

790 has always been the best in my mind if for no other reason than they have Charlie Palilo. I'm suprised that guy doesn't do syndicate radio.

I've been a mix of 1560/790 in the morning after Matt/Adam moved to 790. The radio stayed mostly on 1560 because originally they were mostly local and I didn't care for Gwinn/Rome, but nowadays it's mostly iPod time.

I like Charlie, but only in small doses.

I suppose I should give Matt Thomas a chance. Local radio always trumps National, unless you're Todd Wright.

Eagles tried to sign Grant... this was his response...

The Philadelphia Eagles contacted Deon Grant, but he turned them down. "They took two games from us so I didn't want to join forces," he said. "I want to beat Philly and all those guys they got - that's why I'm here."

Floor = 108 mil
Cap = 120 mil

Teams still under

Arizona Cardinals $105,870,949.00
Buffalo Bills $96,114,524.00
Chicago Bears $101,032,032.00
Cincinnati Bengals $93,268,320.00
Cleveland Browns $96,659,589.00
Denver Broncos $102,627,531.00
Jacksonville Jaguars $92,768,120.00
Kansas City Chiefs $93,446,708.00
San Francisco 49ers $104,604,488.00
Seattle Seahawks $104,887,632.00
Tampa Buccaneers $92,988,777.00

Teams still over

Atlanta Falcons $122,188,308.00
Baltimore Ravens $121,145,293.00
Carolina Panthers $120,884,226.00
Houston Texans $121,904,836.00
Minnesota Vikings $123,553,646.00
New Orleans Saints $121,042,487.00
Philadelphia Eagles $123,382,065.00
St. Louis Rams $121,835,786.00

The best part about that link though?
Detroit Lions $119,379,952.66

Somebody on the Lions negotiated 66 cents into his contract.

JaskoX1 said:
Broncos cut LenDale White

A second-round pick of the Titans in 2006, White’s best season came in 2007, when he carried 303 times for 1,110 yards and seven touchdowns.
HynesWardTerribleTowel.jpg

Milchjon said:
What do you mean by that? There's several teams with lower numbers?

Right but none of those other teams are playoff caliber teams. The Chiefs really seemed like a team on the rise last year. I am shocked that they would go so cheap this year. They also have a great fan base unlike the other low spending teams.

Crowder on Rex Ryan's 2009 prediction to win the Super Bowl

Rex Ryan said:
I don't know this Channing Crowder. All I know is that he's all tatted up, so I guess I ought to be nervous about him. The other thing is I think he's wrong because I do think you win in June. I think you win with your preparation and all that kind of stuff. If I was younger, I'd probably handle him myself.

Channing Crowder said:
Oh, Lord have mercy. What's wrong with him? Now he's talking about preparation? We play them twice this year. If he wants to be prepared, shouldn't he know the starting middle linebackers of his division rival?

He says he'd take care of me if he was younger? I'd have beat the hell out of that big old joker. Or if he really wants to get retro, my daddy or my uncle could have handled him.

Let's see if he can top this one. I've walked over tougher guys going to a fight. He can send himself and his father after me.

Crowder on 2010 Helmet to Helmet fining.

Channing Crowder said:
If they're going to keep making us go more and more and more like a feminine sport, we're going to wear pink every game, not just on the breast cancer months. If I get a chance to knock somebody out, I'm going to knock them out and take what they give me. They give me a helmet, I'm going to use it.

Crowder on the Fins playbook

Channing Crowder said:
The defensive playbook is the size of a phone book, and we didn't even get through the As.

Crowder on London

Channing Crowder said:
I couldn't find London on a map if they didn't have the names of the countries. I know Italy looks like a boot; I learned that. I know London Fletcher.

Crowder on McClain and officiating after the 2010 loss to the Ravens
Channing Crowder said:
Y'all can write it down -- the (expletive) punk Le'Ron McClain spit in my face. Keep writing. He spit in my face, and that's why I got mad.

Channing Crowder said:
Stevie Wonder and Anne Frank. Who's the blind girl? Helen Keller, then. I don't know who Anne Frank is. I'm mad right now. I'm not as swift as I usually am.

Crowder on hypothetically selling some jerseys to some hypothetical business men

Channing Crowder said:
I'll say hypothetically I don't have any more of my Florida jerseys. There were some Jacksonville businessmen that really hypothetically liked my play.

Crowder on Mark Sanchez

Channing Crowder said:
Sanchez is probably the only person I haven't cussed out, because he's a rookie. He'll get cussed out this week.

Crowder on Leon Washington

Channing Crowder said:
We do not like each other. With Florida State, I hated him. I hate him now. If I see him out, I'm not going to talk to him. I'm not going to slap him, but I'm not going to be pleasant. Every time he sees me, he starts cussing. I see him and I start cussing. It's going to be like that the whole game.

Crowder on UF's 2010 loss to Miss St.
Channing Crowder said:
They don't have an identity. They don't know what - John Brantley don't know what he wants to do. He can't outrun anybody. I saw him get run down by a white linebacker last week, which was a disgrace to all Florida football history.

I'll miss him, but

jakncoke said:
lol apparently Channing Crowder talking about a likely return in 2012. wtf is that shit lol

the guy is nuts.

effzee

Striker said:
Eagles have Nate Allen and a bunch of rooks. Of course they wanted somebody like Grant. Glad he took the high road.

Yeah Eagles are really relying on rookies and inexperienced players at LB and Safety. They are banking on youth/speed at those positions to hold up because they did solidify the DLINE and CBs.

bionic77

Wellington said:
That's another thing, I felt as if the younger teams were the ones that really played balls out. It's understandable, to be honest. Think if you're the Bucs, Lions, or Browns, big wins over (mostly) playoff teams can push your young guys to have that mentality that they can beat anyone, no matter how skewed it may be. If I'm a coach damned right I try to make statements with those games for my young team.
Except I don't think that preseason games can build the confidence of anyone except for the truly stupid (see ESPN analysts and Packer players who seemed to use their preseason romp as motivation to win the SB last year). Most players are intelligent enough to see the other teams are barely trying and know that ultimately it doesn't matter. They may not be intelligent enough to know the rules of the game or to know that you should not punch another player's helmet, but they are smart enough to know which games count.

To me the one consistent thing you see with successful franchises is a GM and coach who have a plan and then the personnel around them who are talented enough to carry it out. It is amazing how many teams spend so much money and yet they don't seem to have any purpose and the guys on top seem not to know what they are doing. Are there so few people who actually understand how to build a successful pro football team or is it just that the owners are hiring the wrong guys?

jmdajr

MechDX said:
I know its preseason but its sooooooo good. I mean holy shit 7 sacks. When is the last time the Texans had 7 sacks in any game. We had 8 in all of preseason last year.

I'll take good Texans mojo where I can get it! Happy to be at last nights game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom