• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2012 Week 1 |OT| A New Hope

Did FMT post a mega rant? Did it include something about how bad that d is or was he just blowing mr smith the whole time?

Actually he posted a very balanced, technical breakdown of the game. He was humble in victory and gracious to the opponents. He then made some complimentary remarks regarding the 49er's next opponent and head coach and how he was excited about the upcoming challenge.

Then he paid a homeless guy $20 to shit on his chest.

eznark

Banned
Lol now the packers are a playoff team? I guess maybe if they get scab refs the rest of the year and get those ridiculous calls they might be able to crawl to a wildcard spot

0-16!

Matt-Barkley-Reddit.jpg

gutshot

Apropos of nothing, but for other cord cutters out there, NFL Mobile Premium is a nice deal. For $5 a month you get access to the NFL Network, RedZone channel, plus all the primetime games. Yesterday I had the RedZone channel going on my phone while I was watching the Eagles do their best to lose to the Browns. It was a nice diversion.

K-19

Banned
Okay, Torrey Smith must be the badass receiver tonight. He must compensate the lack that Jennings put in my FF teams last night. Goooo Ravens!!!!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Barnwell on Grantland already backpedaling on the SF regression article he wrote earlier:

Regression schmegression. If the 2012 Niners were supposed to end up looking like a poor man's version of last year's squad, a natural place for their drop-off to begin would have been on Sunday, when they had to leave the friendly confines of the NFC West and head to the relative fortress of Green Bay, where an opening-day defeat likely waited. Instead, San Francisco showed up, outplayed the Packers from start to finish, and left with the most impressive win of the young Jim Harbaugh era under their belts. In doing so, they raised serious questions about the Packers and challenged my perception that the Niners wouldn't be able to sustain their level of play in 2012. Make no mistake: This was every bit a 2011 49ers victory, just one with a higher level of play against superior opposition.

For the Packers, questions now arise as to how good their defense really is. For the Niners, though, the big question coming out of their win is whether or not the rushing offense will really be this impressive during the remainder of 2012. If it truly is, it's going to be close to impossible for anyone to take away a lead from San Francisco this season. And if that's the case, well, all the regression statistics we've referenced might end up being worthless after all. If this Niners team shows up every week for the remainder of the year, they might even top 13 wins. That's how impressive this performance was.

eznark

Banned
lol @ "now questions arise as to how good the Packers defense really is"

No one who paid any attention thought the Packers defense was going to be good, I've been telling everyone that all off-season.

Does anyone have the MS Paint image of my daughter as a Bengals fan?

Okay, Torrey Smith must be the badass receiver tonight. He must compensate the lack that Jennings put in my FF teams last night. Goooo Ravens!!!!

Jennings was one of the many that underperformed for me last night. And Beanie Wells. Should teach me never to pick a Cardinal asside from Fitzgerald

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Peter King fully aboard the bandwagon:
San Francisco and New England, Super Bowl bound. I kid. Or do I? Alex Smith outplayed Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau Field; tell me -- did you ever think you'd read that sentence? And the Patriots look rejuvenated by a young defense. The Niners, looking like the best team in the league after one week, are now 7-2 on the road under Jim Harbaugh.

...we're doomed, aren't we? :(

Alos, his bit on the refs:

Midway through the late-afternoon games, NFL VP Ray Anderson told me: "Overall, we're satisfied with the performance of the officials, considering the unbelievable scrutiny they have been under. As we have said, we're not going to be as concerned with time of games as making sure we take the time to get the plays right.''

Anderson said the Week 2 assignments for all crews have been made, and by Wednesday, the replacement officials would know their assignments for Week 3.

wat

In a normal case, I'd say there were promising signs in parts of the D's performance and that it should get better as the year goes on and they just got punched in the nose by one of the most physical teams in the league.

Can't do that this year though, no way...not until they have at least one complete game. Mental errors, miscommunication, poor tackles still plagued them. They did get better pass rush against a good oline. And you might be inclined to say they played better as the game went on but that's only because Harbaugh went super conservative. Definitely some scheme issues too. I can see the corner blitzes coming in my sleep at this point.

eznark

Banned
In a normal case, I'd say there were promising signs in parts of the D's performance and that it should get better as the year goes on and they just got punched in the nose by one of the most physical teams in the league.

Can't do that this year though, no way...not until they have at least one complete game. Mental errors, miscommunication, poor tackles still plagued them. They did get better pass rush against a good oline. And you might be inclined to say they played better as the game went on but that's only because Harbaugh went super conservative. Definitely some scheme issues too. I can see the corner blitzes coming in my sleep at this point.

Nick Perry covering Mario Manningham is probably totally going to work. I can see how one would talk themselves into that.

Hanging out with PWill on the sidelines somewhere.

Ha! That's my dig! That's all I have left. The Packers are so shitty that the 49ers clowned them and PWill barely even played.

I wish I were dead.
Well if you just hold to your, "the QB is literally the only position that matters in NFL football" philosophy you can just chalk this up to an unusually poor performance from Rodgers. No big deal.

We didnt double team Matthews once and joe staley is an overrated LT. Packers line got mauled all game and their lbs seemed like idiots. #53 would just stand there at times, failing to react. Maybe madden is right!

I missed all the games yesterday, but it is nice to see the Steelers lose. Good to know that tonight we're going to alone in first place in the AFC North. Time for Flacco to exert his ELITEness all over the world on television. Joe Flacco always plays his best football when he's on the national stage.
OH GOD! THAT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!

bionic77

lol @ "now questions arise as to how good the Packers defense really is"

No one who paid any attention thought the Packers defense was going to be good, I've been telling everyone that all off-season.

Does anyone have the MS Paint image of my daughter as a Bengals fan?
I don't remember you saying it but I recall lots of Pats fans telling us how the defense would be good again.

I missed all the games yesterday, but it is nice to see the Steelers lose. Good to know that tonight we're going to alone in first place in the AFC North. Time for Flacco to exert his ELITEness all over the world on television. Joe Flacco always plays his best football when he's on the national stage.
OH GOD! THAT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!

Give us our props you scumbag!

eznark

Banned
We didnt double team Matthews once and joe staley is an overrated LT. Packers line got mauled all game and their lbs seemed like idiots. #53 would just stand there at times, failing to react. Maybe madden is right!

To be fair, Perry is a defensive end pretending to play linebacker. And this was his first game. And other excuses.

I don't remember you saying it but I recall lots of Packs fans telling us how the defense would be good again.
Just last week I was asking people to explain it to me. No one could.

Milchjon

Fuckin hell

Packers' Jarrett Bush says 49ers 'really didn't beat us'

We beat ourselves. They really didn't beat us," cornerback Jarrett Bush said after the game, via the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "We just have to hunker down and make sure we're gap sound and get on the same page. Obviously, small things being miscommunicated on the field become big things, so they exploited us and that's what happened

How is "they exploited us" =/= "they beat us"?!

Mrbob

Eznark in full Eeyore mode. Pathetic. Also, Packers players need to shut up about "not being beat." First the Giants game, and now this one. Accept your loss and move on!

Finally, I hope Cutler's plea to fans work. I don't know why fans at the stadium are so dumb to cheer when the Bears are in the red zone on offense. They've done this for years. Jay to fans: STFU

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/gri...ould-Like-You-to-Please-Zip-It-169158766.html

"Please, please, please let’s tone it down a little bit when we’re down in the 20,” Cutler said after the game as he delivered a message to the fans. “You’re more than welcome to yell and scream and do whatever you want to do after we score, but please, let’s go ahead and quiet the stadium down and save it for after we score. Thank you. That’s my PSA.”

nateeasy

Banned
Citing improving ticket sales since the opening of the NFL season Wednesday night, the Bengals said Friday they are within "striking distance" of selling out next week's Paul Brown Stadium opener against Cleveland.

#WHODEY

eznark

Banned
Eznark in full Eeyore mode. Pathetic. Also, Packers players need to shut up about "not being beat." First the Giants game, and now this one. Accept your loss and move on!

Finally, I hope Cutler's plea to fans work. I don't know why fans at the stadium are so dumb to cheer when the Bears are in the red zone on offense. They've done this for years. Jay to fans: STFU

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/gri...ould-Like-You-to-Please-Zip-It-169158766.html

lol, one win and the Bears bandwagon is filling up. Wonder if you will last longer than you did with the Cubs this season?

Levyne

Banned
Angry Pack and AGod means the Bears will be blown out Thursday.

Edit: Hell, they'd probably be blown out by a docile and content Pack squad.

Milchjon said:
Fuckin hell

Packers' Jarrett Bush says 49ers 'really didn't beat us'
Probably the most annoying shit to come out of players mouth when they lose. It's not contained to only the Packers either.

When the one number is bigger than the other and your team isn't the one with the bigger number - you lost. Look in the mirror and realize you shit the bed and move on. It would be better if most teams did that than fixated on the shit you supposedly did to let the other team win.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So not in shock at the Browns losing last night but seems a lot of the people I know were shocked they were even close. I was getting a ridiculous amount of chirping all this week:

"Browns gonna lose by 28"
"Vick gonna go for 1000 yards"

By halftime everyone stopped sending me messages and by the end of the game only one guy was brave enough to tell me how shitty my team was.

Either way bring on Cincy, looking forward to them mucking it up again and blowing it in the fourth.

Kave_Man said:
So not in shock at the Browns losing last night but seems a lot of the people I know were shocked they were even close.
If the Browns had an even remotely competent QB, they would have won that game and not even by a little bit either.

Mrbob

Angry Pack and AGod means the Bears will be blown out Thursday.

Edit: Hell, they'd probably be blown out by a docile and content Pack squad.

The Packers defense couldn't slow down the mediocre Niners offense. Tillman might be out which would really hurt and Urlacher still isn't fully recovered, so GB will put up points. However I don't expect the Packers defense to slow down the Bears offense.

45-38 Bears

Top Bottom