• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2016 |OT| Where One Gasmask Can Change a Career

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've long been on the "LT/RT distinctions aren't that meaningful anymore" train but that's more based on how a team's most important pass protector is its QB (pre-snap: set protection, identify defense; post-snap: quick decisions, pocket awareness, quick release) and second on how defenses aren't simply putting their best rusher blindside but moving people around to probe for weaknesses. On a simplistic minus, neutral, positive scale... a team with a franchise QB just needs two 0 players at tackle. The better the player, the better the team, of course, but you can survive just fine with a very good QB conducting the offense so long as there's no true liabilities upfront.

All that is to say I'm on board drafting Stanley because I don't have much confidence in Flowers.

Flowers has bad hips and is raw as hell in his footwork (especially his slide step) so Stanley would be the pick I'd make.

Might go LB though, Jack (if his knees are okay) would be the safe pick. That said it's probably Floyd.

Cagey

Banned
Flowers has bad hips and is raw as hell in his footwork (especially his slide step) so Stanley would be the pick I'd make.

Might go LB though, Jack (if his knees are okay) would be the safe pick. That said it's probably Floyd.

Of the three, I'd go Jack, Stanley, most other players, Floyd.

I had to dig into emails I sent last year where I transcribed Greg Cosell's notes from Flowers pre-draft last year.

- No functional kickstep to get into position
- Rotten technique but has done so damn much in college with said rotten technique
- Danger in assuming you can fix said technique to turn him into a stud
- Attributes of a guard, profiles as a guard...
- Orlando Franklin comp

He certainly played up to that report last season. I get that he's enormous and he showed toughness in playing through injury, but he was bad before during and after said injury.

Of the three, I'd go Jack, Stanley, most other players, Floyd.

I had to dig into emails I sent last year where I transcribed Greg Cosell's notes from Flowers pre-draft last year.

- No functional kickstep to get into position
- Rotten technique but has done so damn much in college with said rotten technique
- Danger in assuming you can fix said technique to turn him into a stud
- Attributes of a guard, profiles as a guard...
- Orlando Franklin comp

He certainly played up to that report last season. I get that he's enormous and he showed toughness in playing through injury, but he was bad before during and after said injury.

Reading that gave me so many Greg Robinson flashbacks. Never understood his hype. These raw athletic OT's with horrible technique veeeeeeeeeeery rarely work out, and when they do it's usually because they got moved inside where they don't need to worry as much about their feet.

Reports are that Reese loooooooves him some Floyd. I'd be shocked at this point if he wasn't the pick.

squicken

Reading that gave me so many Greg Robinson flashbacks. Never understood his hype. These raw athletic OT's with horrible technique veeeeeeeeeeery rarely work out, and when they do it's usually because they got moved inside where they don't need to worry as much about their feet.

Reports are that Reese loooooooves him some Floyd. I'd be shocked at this point if he wasn't the pick.

Arians mentioned in that story, and I think it's a good point, that exposing players to failure when they have no good shot at success is part of the problem. The Rams had planned to play Robinson at guard his rookie year, but had to move to tackle b/c of injuries. It's also important to note that the last two Rams offensive draft picks to pan out were Stephen Jackson and Todd Gurley

Arians mentioned in that story, and I think it's a good point, that exposing players to failure when they have no good shot at success is part of the problem. The Rams had planned to play Robinson at guard his rookie year, but had to move to tackle b/c of injuries. It's also important to note that the last two Rams offensive draft picks to pan out were Stephen Jackson and Todd Gurley

It speaks to what makes Arians a good coach and others... not.

Arians doesn't let his hubris blind him to the smart play, if a guy can't do it, he won't force him because there's nobody else. Fisher banked on Robinson being redshirted at tackle with sparing play at guard (where I think he's a better fit anyway), and when it didn't play out the way they planned, he panicked and burned his RS before he was ready.

It's why soooooo many QB's fail (hell I just watched this happen with EJ Manuel).

Browns might trade back again tbh. I'd do it.

My god a first round pick on two immobile QB's with awful pocket presence.

The fukkery that would ensue.

I honestly think they will if there's a taker, and especially if Elliot is there at 8 (and perhaps Lynch)

What could they realistically get moving down from 8-15. Just a second rounder?

I honestly think they will if there's a taker, and especially if Elliot is there at 8 (and perhaps Lynch)

What could they realistically get moving down from 8-15. Just a second rounder?

Probably a second and another 4th or two.

Still valuable. If it's for a QB you might be able to sucker a team out of some future 2nds or even a 1st, too.

MechDX

Ross Tucker ‏@RossTuckerNFL 28m28 minutes ago
Drinking Game idea: Every time anybody says "best available" tomorrow night.

Dare someone to do this.

I have watched too many drafts to risk it.

Striker

He got himself up near 240, putting on 10+ pounds, for the combine.

Just think about that for a second.
Apparently he's down to 230 recently. it's so weird. I'm with you about him being lanky, but that's not my issue with him. If he was strong at the point of attack, that is okay. But he's so weak and there's absolutely zero hit power or good tackling involved here. Definitely has flaws that to me are not worth the risk at #10 OVR. But like you said, Reese has had this infatuation with the SLB/DE thing for years now. That said, Floyd to me looks like a WLB and in that regard, leaves the true strongside 'backer open to someone like Kennard.

MechDX

Drink every time Goodell gets booed

Thats only 31 drinks. Lightweight!

Now if you chug a bottle of Mad Dod everytime he gets boo'ed....

10659007_10152765717157320_1335045528530293039_o.jpg

Cagey

Banned
Apparently he's down to 230 recently. it's so weird. I'm with you about him being lanky, but that's not my issue with him. If he was strong at the point of attack, that is okay. But he's so weak and there's absolutely zero hit power or good tackling involved here. Definitely has flaws that to me are not worth the risk at #10 OVR. But like you said, Reese has had this infatuation with the SLB/DE thing for years now. That said, Floyd to me looks like a WLB and in that regard, leaves the true strongside 'backer open to someone like Kennard.

I'm with you, actually. If he played football with strength and power, I would just rail on his weight and frame as a fun joke, but not as an actual criticism. But his strength and size seem to go hand-in-hand here. As reference, Kiwanuka was in the 260s, and he never struck me as a strong player at the point of attack, particularly in the run game. Floyd needs significant time in the weight room.

Whether he puts on 5 or 30 pounds, he needs to be stronger to play in our defense, or otherwise we're spending a #10 pick on a weaker, smaller (but taller!) Mark Anderson with less collegiate experience at DE.

I see your profile lists BBI. I wonder what the collective mentality is there about Floyd.

Striker

They are universally hoping, like many here, that Jack falls into their laps. Many do see the problems that exist for Floyd, and there's the age factor that some strongly dislike (24 this year).

Speaking of Floyd,

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 33s34 seconds ago

Player who is rising & appears headed inside the top 10: #UGA LB Leonard Floyd. Teams caught a small glimpse of his skill set in college
Peter Schrager & #8207;@PSchrags 42s42 seconds ago

Big name getting buzz today is Leonard Floyd. Could be a possibility for JAX at 5, Tampa Bay at 9, Giants at 10, Bears at 11. @NFLonFOX

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
All four of SI.com NFL writers mock drafts had the Lions picking someone different at 16.

Don Banks had Jarrun Reed (DT, Alabama), Chris Burke had Jake Conklin (OT, Michigan State), Doug Farrar had LaQuan Treadwell (WR, Ole Miss) and Greg Bedard had Kevin Dodd (DE, Clemson).

Wouldn't mind any of those picks to be honest. Wife Reciever is stacked for Detroit even after Megatron's retirement but injuries always happen and if he's the BPA on the board take him.

Shaq Lawson's shoulder injury worries me a bit but I wouldn't mind either him or Kevin Dodd opposite of Ezekial Ansah rotating with Devin Taylor.

I'm do think the Lions will trade down to a QB hungry team and add more picks to the 10 picks we already have.

They are universally hoping, like many here, that Jack falls into their laps. Many do see the problems that exist for Floyd, and there's the age factor that some strongly dislike (24 this year).

Speaking of Floyd,

Reese falls in love with athletic high upside player with technique and weight issues.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED.

Browns might trade back again tbh. I'd do it.

My god a first round pick on two immobile QB's with awful pocket presence.

The fukkery that would ensue.
Come on Miami.. Zeke may be there. You know you want to. It's a Miami pick.. The sexy offensive toy that will break down without reliable maintance and upkeep.

Like Ryan Tannehill

im sorry Chris.. That last one made feel bad.

Dare someone to do this.

I have watched too many drafts to risk it.

That's like asking to drink every time Mayock says "This kid".

Dead by the 3rd pick.

Drink every time Gruden says someone is a player.

Drink every time Goodell gets booed

Y'all need Jesus. Not even Jak could handle that. Murderers.. All of you.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
HACKENBERG TO THE BROWNS! MAKE IT HAPPEN!

If the Browns do end up trading down five spots and getting what I assume would probably be an extra 2nd rounder + 4th rounder why not take Hackenberg or another QB they want at #13? Like all QBs in the draft you never know so why not gamble on one?

They have two first round picks next year plus whatever else Philly gave up plus the 32nd pick, 65th pick and 77th pick.

Plenty of picks to add to their depleted roster to help rebuild.

If the Browns do end up trading down five spots and getting what I assume would probably be an extra 2nd rounder + 4th rounder why not take Hackenberg or another QB they want at #13? Like all QBs in the draft you never know so why not gamble on one?

They have two first round picks next year plus whatever else Philly gave up plus the 32nd pick, 65th pick and 77th pick.

Plenty of picks to add to their depleted roster to help rebuild.

At that point you take BPA, hope RGIII can be fixed, and if not you suck and go into next year with hopefully a high pick to get the QB you want.

The Browns don't need to take a QB, they're actually in a perfect position for themselves right now, something I never thought I'd ever say.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
At that point you take BPA, hope RGIII can be fixed, and if not you suck and go into next year with hopefully a high pick to get the QB you want.

The Browns don't need to take a QB, they're actually in a perfect position for themselves right now, something I never thought I'd ever say.

For some reason I forgot about the RG3 signing. I think it was a great signing and I still think he still has something left in the tank. But his injury issues are still a liability.

RG3 would/could also perceive a high QB as a slight but after his disastrous time with the Redskins he has to perform right away if he wants to have a future in the league.

The Lions are taking a QB with one of our 10 picks and Bob Quinn pretty much stated as much. He'll follow the Patriots way of drafting a QB at least every two years.

Kevin Hogan (QB) from Stanford is a pick that's been heavily rumored and forecasted in mock drafts.

For some reason I forgot about the RG3 signing. I think it was a great signing and I still think he still has something left in the tank. But his injury issues are still a liability.

RG3 would/could also perceive a high QB as a slight but after his disastrous time with the Redskins he has to perform right away if he wants to have a future in the league.

The Lions are taking a QB with one of our 10 picks and Bob Quinn pretty much stated as much. He'll follow the Patriots way of drafting a QB at least every two years.

Kevin Hogan (QB) from Stanford is a pick that's been heavily rumored and forecasted in mock drafts.
RG3 indicated when he signed with the Browns that he was just looking to compete for a job. The dude has said all the right things (unlike Bradford).

The big thing for the Browns is to stick with the plan, understanding it's a 3 year plan (at a minimum). Even with a healthy RG3 they are full of holes and will be lucky to win 5 games this year. But if they keep firing coaches every 1-2 years then they are forever fucked.

I hope Jaylon Smith ends up getting drafted. My heart broke when he got that injury in his last game. Just sad to think that a consensus top ten pick could end up going undrafted.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Has he? I don't watch the vikes much, seems like he's just been OK.

Floyd is good, the Vikings have a nice, young defense being built.

It's the offense they need to work on in a division where you have Rodgers and Stafford being able to drop 30 points on defenses.

Bradford isn't competing for a job. It's been given to him. They want him to start 2016 and redshirt Wentz for a year

The Eagles gave up way to much for Wentz to redshirt his rookie year.

Which makes the trade even more perplexing because why the hell would the Eagles sign Bradford to begin with if they were going to trade up to #2 just to draft a QB.

LJ11

I'd bet money Cook will be a better NFL QB than all of them.

He may last longer in the league due to his deep ball and willingness to chuck it up, but he makes so many bad throws on the short intermediate level that he'll drive coaches nuts. This guy can make bucket throws with easy but then he'll sail a curl out of bounds.

squicken

Which makes the trade even more perplexing because why the hell would the Eagles sign Bradford to begin with if they were going to trade up to #2 just to draft a QB.

I love the trade up. You have to get a franchise QB, and Bradford is not a franchise QB. It's worth the risk. But signing Bradford was dumb, and they should trade him to bolster their roster and sign Fletcher Cox with the salary savings

Talon

He may last longer in the league due to his deep ball and willingness to chuck it up, but he makes so many bad throws on the short intermediate level that he'll drive coaches nuts. This guy can make bucket throws with easy but then he'll sail a curl out of bounds.
He's so fucking inaccurate on intermediate outs. He won't make it at the next level.

Mortemis

Banned
No one seems to have even close to a clue as to who the Hawks are thinking of grabbing, or if they'll even stay in the first.

Pretty excited, don't know what to expect but with John hyping up this class calling them one of the best in a while, I'm excited to see what we can pull off.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'd bet money Cook will be a better NFL QB than all of them.

Connor Cook is an interesting QB prospect. Heard so many different things about him e.g. strong arm, bad teammate (which I don't believe) but he was a 4 year starter and improved every year statistically.

I think a team like the Cardinals, Chiefs or Broncos all in play for him in the 1st round.

I wonder what Andy Reid thinks of this 2016 QB class and how he ranks them. The Chiefs are deep enough to draft a QB with their 1st round pick. No way Hackenberg or Cook are there for the Chiefs 2nd round pick.

Hindl

The Eagles gave up way to much for Wentz to redshirt his rookie year.

Wentz needs to be redshirted. He's got all the intangibles but he's too raw. He stares down receivers, doesn't have great footwork, and tends to plant and throw using his arm instead of using his whole body. He needs work, but we have 3 QB coaches to hopefully improve his mechanics. But he isn't going to be ready in 2016. And that's good. Many rookie QBs have had their careers derailed because they've been thrown into the fire too early. Let him sit and develop into a true starter, the Eagles aren't in a rush. We're not a QB away from a Lombardi anyway

UberTag

I'm really hoping Ragland lasts till #19. I was all aboard the Jaylon Smith bandwagon but I don't think his knees are going to last.

Also I hope for maximum fukkery in the top-10.
Bills fans should do cartwheels in the streets if Ragland lasts to 19 and we're smart enough to grab him.

I wonder if the league mandated the Rams take near the full 10 minutes to make their pick to create "drama" or whatever.

I'm jealous of people who actually get to look forward to picks between #1 and the 4th round. At least this season will be immensely entertaining even if the Rams are garbage.

Gobias

Banned
I will not be ale to watch tomorrow as for some reason I have a final exam at 8pm. All I can do is hope we draft someone who looks good without a shirt.

Dude has the pocket awareness of a dead cat.

If we draft Hackenburg I am legitimately done with the Bills until they clean house. The guy can't play.

I want to ask why are the Bills not so hot on Tyrod but there are so many lies at this time of year, I can't trust anyone.

Less not hot on him, more "He's asking to be paid and we aren't willing cause we got burned by Fitz"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom