• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2016 |OT| Where One Gasmask Can Change a Career

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vachianno and Graziano are both now backing up the Giants looking hard at offense and specifically at tackle. They report some in the building are very bullish on going offense vs defense.

Smokescreen considering their well know interest in Floyd?

ULZ45Jc.jpg

How is that possible. lol

Tankard

Around Jacksonville media the buzz is that they love Bosa and he might be the pick even if Ramsey is available, also sounds like Myles Jack is not in consideration any longer.

Jack and Smith getting hurt screwed us up badly, they should be no brainers for the Jags.

ReAxion

The Chargers are totally picking Tunsil because they're not smart but they think they are.

Or they trade down.

Fingers crossed for Ramsey.

I personally want Wentz, but the pick is probably going to be Goff. I think both QBs would be capable of molding/fitting into the Rams offense.

I would rather have Wentz for his size and physicality factor. Wentz is a dual threat QB, while Goff is more of a pocket passer. I think both QBs bring options to open up lanes for Gurley.

There is no doubt about it, the Los Angeles Rams are a ground and pound offense. If we do pick Goff, I hope he can burn teams deep when they stack the box on Gurley.

Euron

Giants...

It's Myers though so take it with a grain of salt.

Also on Tunsil, one scout did not have nice things to say.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/28/stay-away-giants-scouts-scathing-take-on-once-no-1-pick/
That's pretty interesting. Explains the drop off from the Chargers and the interest in Stanley. Conklin seems like the best way to go to fix the O-Line hole. Though I don't think he'll be BPA at #10. Obviously I'd prefer Jack but the Giants historically have horrible luck with injuries. My favorite is still Elliot.

LJ11

Getting the best OL in the draft is rarely a bad choice. Rivers could certainly use the coverage in his old age.

Honestly, if we go back and take the best OL from recent drafts I see a bunch of mediocre OL, talking top 10-15. Position is no lock. Squicken talks about it all the time. Passing no judgement on this year's crop, just a general thought.

The bottom line, no position is a lock, value blah blah blah. At the end of the day, you need good players on your team. "Well you shouldn't draft RBs in the first, no value." And yet I see 2 top 10 busts at G taken in recent years, some average as fuck LTs. Value, the most inane talking point in the history of the draft.

Edit: What does value even mean? You didn't bring up value, I'm just ranting.

Honestly, if we go back and take the best OL from recent drafts I see a bunch of mediocre OL, talking top 10-15. Position is no lock. Squicken talks about it all the time. Passing no judgement on this year's crop, just a general thought.

The bottom line, no position is a lock, value blah blah blah. At the end of the day, you need good players on your team. "Well you shouldn't draft RBs in the first, no value." And yet I see 2 top 10 busts at G taken in recent years, some average as fuck LTs. Value, the most inane talking point in the history of the draft.

Do you listen to pft live per chance? Florio had a huge rant today about how dumb the concept of value is and that guys like kiper just use it to praise teams that follow their boards, and hammer teams that don't.

Matticers

That's pretty interesting. Explains the drop off from the Chargers and the interest in Stanley. Conklin seems like the best way to go to fix the O-Line hole. Though I don't think he'll be BPA at #10. Obviously I'd prefer Jack but the Giants historically have horrible luck with injuries. My favorite is still Elliot.

I like Conklin but I'd much rather see them trade for Anthony Davis. Of course, that requires SF being willing to make a trade and actually get something for him but Davis isn't going to play for them again.

Would be nice if they can trade a conditional 2017 pick for him. Frees them up to take Elliott if available or any position on defense. Or trade down a few picks for Treadwell/Doctson, whichever of the two is available.

LJ11

Do you listen to pft live per chance? Florio had a huge rant today about how dumb the concept of value is and that guys like kiper just use it to praise teams that follow their boards, and hammer teams that don't.

Nah, I don't watch that stuff.

Value in my mind is simply, "you took a shitty fucking ball player."

Milchjon

This place is freaking out over the tiniest micro-aggressions, yet there's continued mod-sanctioned harassment, bullying and suppression of Pats fans!

I hope all of you get molested by Billy goats!

Euron

I like Conklin but I'd much rather see them trade for Anthony Davis. Of course, that requires SF being willing to make a trade and actually get something for him but Davis isn't going to play for them again.

Would be nice if they can trade a conditional 2017 pick for him. Frees them up to take Elliott if available or any position on defense. Or trade down a few picks for Treadwell/Doctson, whichever of the two is available.
I'm starting to think there's a legitimate possibility we take Elliot either way if he's available. I don't think anybody expected us to take Odell a few years ago because we already had 3 active receivers (sound familiar?) and people expected him to drop to Pittsburgh, which would have been a nightmare.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part

Posted it over in the other thread but Ranaan has his own disaster rate article detailing how teams pick in the first two rounds.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/04/why_giants_fans_should_have_confidence_in_gm_jerry.html

But in the early rounds (1 and 2), history says the Giants have a strong chance of finding a successful player. Not always a star, but it's rarely a disaster.

After documenting the Giants mid-to-late round struggles earlier this year, it was only fair to look into their perceived success in the early rounds. So I calculated the disaster rate of first-round picks from 2007-14 of all 32 NFL teams and the Giants were tied for sixth-lowest rate. Only running back David Wilson (2012), defensive lineman Marvin Austin (2011) and linebacker Clint Sintim (2009) were, in retrospect, truly regrettable picks.

(this is why I generally don't get too worked about the Giants picks in the first and second rounds more often than not but I did HATE the Landon Collins pick last year and the jury is still very much out on that).

Who are best? Falcons/Texans and Steelers.

Worst? Panthers/Jags/Bucks

I'm starting to think there's a legitimate possibility we take Elliot either way if he's available. t
It absolutely SHOULD be. Fuck the "No running backs in Rd.1!" bullshit argument much less the top 10.

IvanJ

Banned
Can I stream this on my PS4? Because my box for directv is acting up today.
There is a GamePass app on PS4 that should stream it live.
However, it is a subscription service. But you can sign up for a free 7 day trial and tben you can watch it on your console, PC, phone, tablet...

(Credit card required, just remember to delete it afterwards because they will automatically charge you after a week - $200)

MechDX

Posted it over in the other thread but Ranaan has his own disaster rate article detailing how teams pick in the first two rounds.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/04/why_giants_fans_should_have_confidence_in_gm_jerry.html

(this is why I generally don't get too worked about the Giants picks in the first and second rounds more often than not but I did HATE the Landon Collins pick last year and the jury is still very much out on that).

Who are best? Falcons/Texans and Steelers.

Worst? Panthers/Jags/Bucks

It absolutely SHOULD be. Fuck the "No running backs in Rd.1!" bullshit argument much less the top 10.

Shame Rick cant seem to hit in rounds 3-5. Just imagine...

Texans PR ‏@TexansPR 9m9 minutes ago
The @HoustonTexans are the only team in the @NFL with every first round pick since 2008 still on their roster:
ChJdPUaUcAA_XHO.jpg:large

6 of the 8 are defense

Hindl

Zeke is about the only offensive player that makes sense for the Giants to take. Maybe Treadwell but that would be a reach. Otherwise that defense was too shitty last year to ignore

bigosc2k

Banned
There is a GamePass app on PS4 that should stream it live.
However, it is a subscription service. But you can sign up for a free 7 day trial and tben you can watch it on your console, PC, phone, tablet...

(Credit card required, just remember to delete it afterwards because they will automatically charge you after a week - $200)

There's the NFL app which will show the draft as well.

Cagey

Banned

Look, when you can spend assets to move up in the draft and pick Roy Williams in 2016, you have to do it. Bleh.

I am very much on board for Daniel Jeremiah's dream scenario for the Giants of taking Stanley and Vonn Bell, doubling down on last year's Flowers/Collins picks, to correct the mistakes of 2015 of drafting an RT and SS* to fill the roles of LT and FS, respectively.

*Even calling him an SS is polite. He's an in-the-box run stopping safety in 2016. I'm not confident in him holding up in pass coverage unless there's a supremely talented FS roaming the field. We're not the sort of stocked roster that has the luxury to draft a Big Nickel safety with a high second.

Zeke is about the only offensive player that makes sense for the Giants to take. Maybe Treadwell but that would be a reach. Otherwise that defense was too shitty last year to ignore
Hard to say its been ignored with a straight face considering the spending spree we went on during free agency.;) Though yes, we still have plenty of holes.

*Even calling him an SS is polite. He's an in-the-box run stopping safety in 2016. I'm not confident in him holding up in pass coverage unless there's a supremely talented FS roaming the field. We're not the sort of stocked roster that has the luxury to draft a Big Nickel safety with a high second.

Oh I wasn't a fan and was quite vocal on that one. I know we were safety needy but boy that was not the right one to grab and much less move up for. I'd love to grab Bell at 40. Pairing him with Collins would make for a very workable back end. Though frankly, convert Landon to a linebacker (ala Bucannon with the Cards). It makes too much sense.

I'd much rather have Todd Gurley on my team than most 1st round OT's taken the last two years.

Cagey

Banned
Hard to say its been ignored with a straight face considering the spending spree we went on during free agency.;)

Oh I wasn't a fan and was quite vocal on that one. I know we were safety needy but boy that was not the right one to grab and much less move up for. I'd love to grab Bell at 40. Pairing him with Collins would make for a very workable back end. Though frankly, convert Landon to a linebacker. It makes too much sense.

Agreed. I'd roll with Collins as either a full-time undersized LB or deploy him in the aforementioned Deon Grant three safety look as our unofficial base defense. With a health Hankins and Snacks upfront, I can live with being a bit smaller in the back seven in the run game if it helps shore up our perennial weakness defending TEs and the seams.

EDIT: Problem is that means we're still in need of two starting safeties. I've been saying that's our reality since we drafted Collins but it's not easy to fill.

When you hear a player is "like a linebacker at safety!!!", it's usually the positive spin on "he's too slow to be a safety and too small to be a linebacker." Describes Collins, imo.

Can someone explain to me how this draft works to someone who has no experience with it at all?

SO each team gets to make one pick tonight, but how are those picks decided? Are there just a bunch of names in a hat and teams can pick whoever they want? Do these players just have to go wherever in the USA they are picked to go.

squicken

Shame Rick cant seem to hit in rounds 3-5. Just imagine...

6 of the 8 are defense

Yep. Really solid in the first round, but haven't really found those mid and late round gems. I think Vrabel can change that. I'm not sure anyone can reach Clowney, but I think he's going to make a lot of mid round picks into solid LBs

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Can someone explain to me how this draft works to someone who has no experience with it at all?

SO each team gets to make one pick tonight, but how are those picks decided? Are there just a bunch of names in a hat and teams can pick whoever they want? Do these players just have to go wherever in the USA they are picked to go.

The order is decided by how well the team did the season before.

The worse you are the earlier you pick.

Agreed. I'd roll with Collins as either a full-time undersized LB or deploy him in the aforementioned Deon Grant three safety look as our unofficial base defense. With a health Hankins and Snacks upfront, I can live with being a bit smaller in the back seven in the run game if it helps shore up our perennial weakness defending TEs and the seams.

EDIT: Problem is that means we're still in need of two starting safeties. I've been saying that's our reality since we drafted Collins but it's not easy to fill.

When you hear a player is "like a linebacker at safety!!!", it's usually the positive spin on "he's too slow to be a safety and too small to be a linebacker." Describes Collins, imo.
That's been the problem with Reese for years now - the back end of the draft is a fucking mystery to him (include the third round while you're at it). How many resources have we put into the safety position at this point with later round picks? At what point is someone gong to step up and pan out? I'm sure he'd share the same frustration.

Nat Berhe, Mykkel Thompson, Cooper Taylor, Bennett Jackson (a converted CB) etc. I could understand it being difficult finding an unproven player to slot into the FS position with 4th, 5th and 6th round players. Having the necessary instincts and coverage skills to play that position at a high level is hard to find and highly sought after in the league. However, between injuries and just a downright lack of development - how can we not get SOMETHING out of that list of characters at SS?

Depth is just a massive issue for this team..much less starters at those positions. Even if they find a guy, you pretty much need two others behind him because of the ridiculous injury situation and we just don't have those homegrown guys. I hope Aaron Wellman is the guy that fixes the injury situation cause its not just luck at this point.

IvanJ

Banned

There are 7 rounds, so each team gets to pick 7 players (although with different trades and compensations, some teams end up with more and some with less).
The order is determined by standings in the previous year - worst team picks first, champion picks last every round.
Players must go to whichever team drafted them.

Then there are many different scenarios and deals that could happen, but this is the very basic explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom