• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season |OT3| Josh Freeman is fat and eats too much food. Fat. Fatty. Fatfat.

squicken

Sport itself is alright, it's the flopping, acting injured, time wasting and Brady shit that gets on my nerves.

This. I actually find the game itself fun. But the flopping is just absurd. Those damn flopping Italians in that WC final vs France was really, really, awful. I think in all sports, there should be a post game review. And any flopping is sort of doled out like flagrant foul points in basketball, where eventually suspensions occur.

Of course then Brady could only suit up four times a year but thems the breaks

filler

Banned
It's just good to hear he didn't need surgery and is able to practice again. Last thing we hear was that he was limping around and barely able to jog.

Im over it.

Sober me realized it was probably not a good idea.

On a actually football related note, I really think Greg Childs will turn out to be something special if he is able to get over that injury he had with his knee.

Milchjon

I just find Soccer to be boring

It is. (Trust me, some of my best friends are gay black soccer players... uh, I mean I watch about 20 games a year for social reasons)
IMO you can classify sports by whether they're interesting when you have zero attachment. I think my earliest Football memory was Polamalu jumping over a pile, and I just thought it was fuckawesome even though I didn't have the slightest clue about the rules. Soccer, Baseball, Horseriding, Nascar and the like are usually only interesting when you have some kind of attachment from playing it yourself or from being a fan. Aussie Rules Football, Mexican Wrestling, Rally Driving and Football are just way awesome even without any context. Basketball is somewhere in the middle , I kinda like it but get bored after half a game.

It is. IMO you can classify sports by whether they're interesting when you have zero attachment. I think my earliest Football memory was Polamalu jumping over a pile, and I just thought it was fuckawesome even though I didn't have the slightest clue about the rules. Soccer, Baseball, Horseriding, Nascar and the like are usually only interesting when you have some kind of attachment from playing it yourself or from being a fan. Aussie Rules Football, Mexican Wrestling, Rally Driving and Football are just way awesome even without any context. Basketball is somewhere in the middle , I kinda like it but get bored after half a game.

I didnt appreciate basketball until I got a copy of NBA 2k12 and got horribly addicted to the My Player mode.

Soccer is alright, I just have very little attachment to it since I never played it.

Sokantish

I think it's going to be Taiwan Jones, he was a rookie last year so he didn't play much, but when he did he looked alright, he could be good.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I was listening to some crappy sports radio the other day and the host said something I completely agree with. He said soccer is held back because it doesn't adapt to the American audience. Or any audience, for that matter. Most of the areas where soccer reigns supreme, there are no other major sports leagues, so FIFA doesn't have to do anything to retain their audience. In the US, there are four major sports leagues, and they are always in competition with one another. And that doesn't include the major college sports (football and basketball). So the American sports are constantly tweaking things to make their sports more entertaining/engaging. Some of the major changes over just the last decade or so include: shootout overtime in hockey, wildcards and more wildcards in baseball, replay in baseball, replay in football, new overtime rules in football, draft lottery in basketball, overtime play in college football, bcs, more tournament teams in college basketball, etc. The list goes on and on. Heck, from year to year, there are always rules tweaks and an emphasis on different fouls/penalties/infractions. Soccer, meanwhile, does jack shit.

I was listening to some crappy sports radio the other day and the host said something I completely agree with. He said soccer is held back because it doesn't adapt to the American audience. Or any audience, for that matter. Most of the areas where soccer reigns supreme, there are no other major sports leagues, so FIFA doesn't have to do anything to retain their audience. In the US, there are four major sports leagues, and they are always in competition with one another. And that doesn't include the major college sports (football and basketball). So the American sports are constantly tweaking things to make their sports more entertaining/engaging. Some of the major changes over just the last decade or so include: shootout overtime in hockey, wildcards and more wildcards in baseball, replay in baseball, replay in football, new overtime rules in football, draft lottery in basketball, overtime play in college football, bcs, more tournament teams in college basketball, etc. The list goes on and on. Heck, from year to year, there are always rules tweaks and an emphasis on different fouls/penalties/infractions. Soccer, meanwhile, does jack shit.

i can't think of any possible change that could be made to soccer that would make it exciting

Nazis at the Center of the Earth, this thing better ooze with cheese

Naked chicks playing soccer. That certainly would for me.

but even if naked ladies were playing you would still have no sporting interest in it. i can watch girls going ass-to-ass with a double ended dildo all i want but it doesn't make it a sport i'm interested in

If they were shitting on each other you'd be watching every game.

again, while i might enjoy that i still wouldn't be interested in it as a sport, only sexually. but in defense of that, i do get some sexual satisfaction when i watch things like an alex smith naked bootleg on 3rd down in a playoff game to win the game (he won it again later in the quarter since our D let him down)

snesfreak

Banned
again, while i might enjoy that i still wouldn't be interested in it as a sport, only sexually. but in defense of that, i do get some sexual satisfaction when i watch things like an alex smith naked bootleg on 3rd down in a playoff game to win the game (he won it again later in the quarter since our D let him down)
You just get sexual satisfaction from guys with small hands.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

They play basketball all over the world. They play baseball all over the world. They play various other sports all over the world. Soccer is king everywhere but in the USA. America is the only country that plays American football.

There isn't any problem with soccer. It just doesn't appeal to Americans. Changing the game because one unappreciative country doesnt appreciate it? That is so asinine, I guess football should change all its rules so maybe any other country gives a fuck.

Soccer is popular in the US anyway. The MLS is still a mediocre league, but there is much interest in higher competition soccer. It just doesn't happen to be played much here in the USA.

jakncoke

Banned
They play basketball all over the world. They play baseball all over the world. They play various other sports all over the world. Soccer is king everywhere but in the USA. America is the only country that plays American football.

There isn't any problem with soccer. It just doesn't appeal to Americans. Changing the game because one unappreciative country doesnt appreciate it? That is so asinine, I guess football should change all its rules so maybe any other country gives a fuck.

Soccer is popular in the US anyway. The MLS is still a mediocre league, but there is much interest in higher competition soccer. It just doesn't happen to be played much here in the USA.

There is little american football leagues in other countries

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
There is little american football leagues in other countries

It's not even in the same stratosphere on a global level like soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey etc. There aren't even enough countries who play Football to get it played on an Olympic level.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
You're a dirty alligator that wants to do awful things to nice girls like Alison Brie.

AQD9q.jpg

cdyhybrid

Pete declares that Russell Wilson is officially in the competition for the QB spot. Record for shortest QB to win a Super Bowl will be broken this season.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
To be fair, Pete said that TJack is in the competition, and would probably say that Ryan Leaf and Tim Couch are in the competition. It doesn't really mean anything.

I guess it's the whole "didn't you just go out and sign Matt Flynn?" thing that confuses the hell out of me.

(I'm sure it's all talk and that Flynn is the defacto starter no matter what)

cdyhybrid

I guess it's the whole "didn't you just go out and sign Matt Flynn?" thing that confuses the hell out of me.

(I'm sure it's all talk and that Flynn is the defacto starter no matter what)

I'd be surprised if Flynn didn't end up starting. TJack is very popular among the locker room though, so Pete doesn't wanna threaten team chemistry by just yanking him out of his job.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
but even if naked ladies were playing you would still have no sporting interest in it. i can watch girls going ass-to-ass with a double ended dildo all i want but it doesn't make it a sport i'm interested in

Requiem for a dream...god that film disturbed me in highschool.

jakncoke

Banned
New York Jets starting quarterback Mark Sanchez is very durable. He's proved it over three seasons by missing just one start. However, Sanchez's durability has more to do with his toughness than his actual size, and that's something Sanchez aims to improve.

maybe he wont get punked on anymore when he's looking like Brady Quinn

Pete declares that Russell Wilson is officially in the competition for the QB spot. Record for shortest QB to win a Super Bowl will be broken this season.
Came to post this. It be interesting to see if he actually did beat out Flynn. I'm a Wilson fan but doubt it'll happen, before first game

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Playing a sport /= having a major league. If basketball, for example, suddenly became massively popular as the NBA is trying to make it, and began to eat the market share from soccer in Europe, I guaran-fucking-tee that FIFA would shake up the rules.

I'm not saying change the game to make it popular in the US. I'm saying change the game to make it better. Are there fans who are appreciative of flopping? No? Get it the fuck out of the game. Was that a goal? Can we check the replay? Make it so. FIFA doesn't care as long as the bribes keep flowing in. They're under no pressure to make changes, so they don't make any.

Top Bottom