• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread - Who cares who won we got a draft to prepare for!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squicken

That's fascinating. A lot of people (well, Rams fans) have been saying Bradford is the best QB in the division and the only reason the Rams didn't make the playoffs is he got hurt.

This is based mostly on his high passer rating. But most more advanced stats seem to show the complete opposite.

Well this was just completion percentage, which shows he is just about where he should be given the short throws. His passer rating is high because he doesn't throw interceptions, which passer rating is very hard on.

The Rams defense allowed the highest completion percentage and yards per attempt against in the NFL. They also didn't get a functioning running game until Week 5. If I was going list why they missed the playoffs, besides schedule and division, that's where I'd start. Bradford doesn't win games and doesn't lose games. Disappointing for a top pick, and he has a bad contract, but he's not a bad QB

Decide to watch some Greg Robinson clips, that dude is unreal in space and in the run game, just demolishes people. Bad thing though, he's constantly down blocking or getting up to the second level without worrying about the DE. Hard to find him blocking on an island on a normal pass play, even their Playaction game looks like a run with the way they block. That said, with that size and athleticism, who gives a fuck, he'll pound that fuck out of everyone in the run game, and will be good enough with room to improve in pass pro. Probably a lock top 10 pick, going to be an interesting draft.
I really really hope there's a run at QB's at the top of the first round. Push talent like Robinson, Watkins, etc. down. Giants at 12 should get a good player. Considering the holes on the team, I'm down for just about anything outside of QB/RB. Specifically in order of preference: OL, LB, DE, CB, WR, TE would fit the bill nicely.

Crisco

Banned
I approve of the Bustford photos. This is sort of interesting for those who like to look at analytics stuff on QBs

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/27/2013-adot-adjusted-completion-percentage/

Twitter rumor talk he is going to kill it at the Combine. Just wish he was a bit taller. I've been watching Mike Evans cutups and Mathews just never gets beat. He's better than Joeckel or Fisher. Curious about Martin from NDU as well. Buzz is he'd be a better guard. Draft is stacked with tackle prospects, but if Robinson is perennial All Pro good, then he is worth it in the top 5

Also pretty sure I like Pryor of HHCD. Seems like it's a big fall off from those two at the safety spot

This doesn't look like it takes defense into account, so for me it's kind of a trash statistic. I mean, no one is going to argue against Rodgers being the best QB in the NFL but he played 8 games, with 6 against some pretty bad defenses.

squicken

Bruce Feldman is with Mike Evans out in San Diego, and the thought is he may run sub-4.4 and is in play as the top WR drafted. I've been through all his Youtube cutups, and have seen every game he has played, and he's such a frustrating guy.

He almost disappeared at times at the end of the year. LSU's big CBs really frustrated him. But against smaller CBs they were just like gnats to him. He really needs a good WRs coach getting after him, but the potential is there to better than Alshon Jeffrey. Potential being the key word

---

Piece on why Teddy could be the first pick

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/67196174/teddy-bridgewater-nfl-draft-profile

This doesn't look like it takes defense into account, so for me it's kind of a trash statistic. I mean, no one is going to argue against Rodgers being the best QB in the NFL but he played 8 games, with 6 against some pretty bad defenses.

I agree. It's almost impossible to parse out anything other than to say which tier a QB belongs in. There's way too many moving pieces to say Wilson > Kap of vice versa.

Well this was just completion percentage, which shows he is just about where he should be given the short throws. His passer rating is high because he doesn't throw interceptions, which passer rating is very hard on.

The Rams defense allowed the highest completion percentage and yards per attempt against in the NFL. They also didn't get a functioning running game until Week 5. If I was going list why they missed the playoffs, besides schedule and division, that's where I'd start. Bradford doesn't win games and doesn't lose games. Disappointing for a top pick, and he has a bad contract, but he's not a bad QB

This is a fair assessment. Bradford's abiity to protect the ball, and the defense's ability to create turnovers have the potential to be a formidable team. Just gotta get consistency. Everyone on the same page at the same time

MechDX

---

[

You noticed how every time Bridgewater is mentioned to BOB or Rick Smith the subject quickly changes or BOB says he doesn't know much about Bridgewater? He happily and openly talks about JFF, Bortles and Carr though.

I think once the Texans staff sits down with teddy at the combine they will fall in love. From all articles I have read he is truly a student of the game and obsessive about it on Manning-like levels.

This thread is where the Jets will win the offseason.

Jets need to sign a good #1 or #2 WR, and draft another #1/#2 WR so that they can push Nelson and Kerley down, and put Hill on the bench permanently. They need to find a way to get a good TE. They can draft a project shifty WCO-style RB in a later round too. They need to get one more guy to protect Geno (or whoever ends up as QB) and rebalance the O-line. They need to hold steady on the D-line and secondary...it's on the right track.

Fox318

Jets might cut Cromartie and they should cut Holmes, and Sanchez.

They should have well over 45 million to spend on free agents and key re-signings.

squicken

You noticed how every time Bridgewater is mentioned to BOB or Rick Smith the subject quickly changes or BOB says he doesn't know much about Bridgewater? He happily and openly talks about JFF, Bortles and Carr though.

If I had to guess today, I think HOU passes on QB if they can't trade down and trades up to get one later in first round. None of these guys is safe enough to be a number one. None is even a Stafford tier prospect

This is a fair assessment. Bradford's abiity to protect the ball, and the defense's ability to create turnovers have the potential to be a formidable team. Just gotta get consistency. Everyone on the same page at the same time

It bears mentioning that the best Rams WR of the past 5 years can't even beat out Julian Edelman for a job in New England and might get cut. They need 4 new offensive linemen if Jake Long isn't ready and Saffold leaves. The legit concern for Bradford is his health. The injury issues are overstated but aren't a nothing problem, either

Jets might cut Cromartie and they should cut Holmes, and Sanchez.

They should have well over 45 million to spend on free agents and key re-signings.

Jets will cut Cro, but will probably re-sign him (relatively) cheaply. He wants to be back, and even acknowledged being cut for cost. Holmes should be cut. Sanchez should be traded, dammit. There are too many teams with total trash at QB and even worse backups that could actually still use Sanchez (if only to buy them development time for a rookie, or to have someone to compete with that rookie).

...at least, that's what I'd like to believe.

MechDX

At least SBNation prefaces their mock with common sense:

Have you heard the news? New Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien said some kind words about Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles. He also had nice things to say about Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel. Meanwhile, Texans owner Bob McNair was gushing over Jadeveon Clowney. He also said the team is open to trading the No. 1 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. To recap: We have no idea what the Texans are going to do when they're officially on the clock in May.

My opinion though: They take Bridgewater or trade down.

Crisco

Banned
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/25/4639703/carolina-panthers-gm-dave-gettleman.html#.UufcCbvn_RY

Let me tell you something: Not to pat ourselves on the back but we read the market pretty well. We saw where the market was going, and you saw what we did. Back in the old days you had 325 (unrestricted free agents), right now we’re at almost 500. And you’re going to get, I’m guessing, 75 cap-hit guys, guys that are making too much money for their team. So at some point in time as a player you’re going to make a decision:Do I want to keep doing these one-year deals, not knowing where I’m going to be, dragging my family around in the hopes that I’m going to hit the lottery, or am I going to sign a modest three-year deal so I know where I’m going to be and have a chance to win?

I like Gettleman a lot, you can tell he's smart and just loves doing this stuff. He was handed a shit sandwich of bad deals, talent starved positions, and salary cap hell from Hurney. He managed to fill some major holes scrapping the bottom of the barrel in free agency as well as setting us up for long term cap solvency. His first two draft picks were home runs and he managed to find some real talent in the UDFA pool. He understands how to build competitive teams in the NFL for the long haul. That was the thing Hurney never got, he was always about the next season, long term projections be damned.

gutshot

Ugh I will be pissed if the Eagles draft Barr at 22. I would rather they take Benjamin if the draft goes the way sbnation says it will.

Huh? Anthony Barr is a borderline top-10 talent. If he drops to 22, that would be a steal. Kelvin Benjamin isn't anything special.

Huh? Anthony Barr is a borderline top-10 talent. If he drops to 22, that would be a steal. Kelvin Benjamin isn't anything special.

He totally reminds me of the LB version of Lane. He only switched to defense 2 years ago, that worries me big time. I also would rather have a big WR that can go up and get contested passes, Eagles dont have a single guy on the team that can do that and the offense desperately needs it. I think Foles wouldnt hold the ball for ever if he could throw to someone that was covered and trust them to come down with it.

Talon

He totally reminds me of the LB version of Lane. He only switched to defense 2 years ago, that worries me big time. I also would rather have a big WR that can go up and get contested passes, Eagles dont have a single guy on the team that can do that and the offense desperately needs it. I think Foles wouldnt hold the ball for ever if he could throw to someone that was covered and trust them to come down with it.
He reminds you of the LB version of your offensive tackle.

...what?

squicken

Saw this from Josh Norris's Twitter. Gettlemen talking WR development. Pretty sure the simple spread school is Baylor. Norris thinks the full route tree school is Okie State. I know A&M runs pre-school routes, so Evans won't do much of anything advanced year 1. Dunno on Watkins

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...-panthers-gm-dave-gettleman.html#.UufqV7RMGUm

Q. What’s your philosophy on potential No. 1 receivers? They can be found in the draft or free agency, so what do you tend to lean toward?

A. The draft history will tell you that it’s a tough position to make an immediate impact. In general, the 20-hour rule has really affected the player that we get. Back in the day, and I know you young guys are tired of hearing that, but when there basically were no rules, these kids for the most part came fundamentally sound. And that’s not happening now.

There was a wide receiver that got taken in the first round a few years back, he ran three routes in college. And didn’t adjust to coverage. He ran to three spots. So just think about what you have to teach that guy. So that’s kind of the thing that, depending upon where he went, he was in the spread offense. Another receiver who was taken in the first round that year, a different college, spread offense, he ran the whole route tree. It depends upon what program the kid came out of.

I don’t know if wide receiver has had a tougher time, but history will tell you the adjustment isn’t easy. (Houston’s DeAndre) Hopkins and (San Diego’s) Keenan Allen had quality rookie years. You have to go through the full process, and part of that full process is spending time with these kids, finding out what they know, what they don’t know. I thought last year that our coaching and scouting staff did a great job post-combine in that part of the process.

And as you know, you’re allowed to bring 30 kids in. You’re going to have 3-4 slots open. If there’s a late guy … they’ll spend a day with us and they’ll be on the board, they’ll spend time with Ron (Rivera) and coaches.

Because the way the league is, the quicker you get your young kids to play, the better you’re going to be. So we’ve got to figure out how quickly this guy’s going to be able to play

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...ave-gettleman.html#.UufqV7RMGUm#storylink=cpy

While Keim stated he was working on a 3 year cleanup/retool plan, I'm going to just go ahead and say 2015 is the year of the Cardinals as we are destined to be the first team to have home field advantage in the Super Bowl! The Lambardi comes through AZ this time around! Go Cardinals!

That sbnation mock is the worst I've seen yet. Some of the guys they have at the top are laughable and the idea of Dennard falling that far is absurd. I highly doubt Barr falls that far either. That's without mentioning the moronic pick for the Cards. So many mocks just mail it in and assign us a QB every single draft. Last few years it's been: Mallet, Gabbert, Glennon. Just stahp.

gutshot

And Lane Johnson was a great pick. He was a solid starter in his rookie year and with his raw ability, will only get better with experience. Is him reminding you of Lane supposed to be a bad thing?

Anyway, give me the superior athlete in a position of need over the average athlete in a position where we already have other options (hitting the free agent market, re-signing Cooper/Maclin, Benn returning from injury, drafting another WR later in the draft, etc.).

And Lane Johnson was a great pick. He was a solid starter in his rookie year and with his raw ability, will only get better with experience. Is him reminding you of Lane supposed to be a bad thing?

Anyway, give me the superior athlete in a position of need over the average athlete in a position where we already have other options (hitting the free agent market, re-signing Cooper/Maclin, Benn returning from injury, drafting another WR later in the draft, etc.).

I definitely disagree that Lane was a great pick. He was terrible this year in pass blocking and okay as a run blocker. I would rather have the lower upside but more solid guy then the high upside but bigger chance of busting. I also think WR is a bigger need then LB. They have DJax and that is it. Riley sucks, and is a FA, Maclin is coming off a major injury and also a FA, and Avant is probably the worst WR in the NFL. They dont have to address WR inthe 1st but I really hope that they address it in both FA and the draft. My #1 wish is for a S in the 1st round.

Really, man? : / I wouldn't defend him. It's awful that those people got killed, hope he stays in jail so he can't do any further harm. No reason to take playful bickering into that area

Anyway... back to the subject of the thread, main reason I'm rooting for the Hawks this year is Russell Wilson. Love the guy's attitude and confidence, he's pretty inspiring. Also fun to watch him scramble in circles around defenders.

:jnc The lifelongs are so sensitive. Ez is already working on getting himself banned

LJ11

Bruce Feldman is with Mike Evans out in San Diego, and the thought is he may run sub-4.4 and is in play as the top WR drafted. I've been through all his Youtube cutups, and have seen every game he has played, and he's such a frustrating guy.

He almost disappeared at times at the end of the year. LSU's big CBs really frustrated him. But against smaller CBs they were just like gnats to him. He really needs a good WRs coach getting after him, but the potential is there to better than Alshon Jeffrey. Potential being the key word

---

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/67196174/teddy-bridgewater-nfl-draft-profile

I agree. It's almost impossible to parse out anything other than to say which tier a QB belongs in. There's way too many moving pieces to say Wilson > Kap of vice versa.

I think Benjamin is the Alshon clone, watched a ton of both when they were in school and the similarities are there even if comps like that aren't worth a shit. They both jump through the roof to get to the ball, really rare, and they both do very little after the catch.

Wouldn't be shocked at all if Evans runs faster than anyone thinks, he's YAC is insane for a man of his size. He ran away from a lot of DBs after the catch, some of it was just pure physicality some of it was those long strides. He's a good player, wouldn't be afraid of taking him at all.

And yes Futurevoid, I agree, if there's a run of QBs that 7-15 range just got a whole lot more interesting.

MechDX

Johnny-Manziel-Billboard.jpg

Got dammit squicken stop it!

Afrikan

these media folks and some of these x-players sure seem like they don't pay attention when someone says something to you.

Marshawn straight up just said it. He was raised to not talk about what he is "going to do", or how he feels about something...not to talk too much....but to take care of business first and foremost.

yet they don't mention that when trying to analyze why he doesn't want to be in the limelight.

Crisco

Banned
Walterfootball.com updated their mock today.

A guy that switched positions late in his college career.

I'm really liking the Allen Robinson pick for the Panthers in the first round. He doesn't have the freakish measurable's of some of the other guys but he's still plenty big, fast, and athletic. He was also extremely productive on the field with a true freshman QB throwing to him. I think after Watkins and Evans, he has the best chance of being an impact player his rookie year, which the Panthers need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom