• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Draxal

Speaking of line play, is there a stat for how often teams keep a tight end back there to help blocking when the regular unit is failing spectacularly?

It seems to me that more than talent you need great line coaching because it seems like the great coaches can coach up anyone to be serviceable.

Problem the G-Men had last year, was that our tight ends were horrible at blocking (they were not able to seal at all (run), and were really bad at chip blocking (pass)

Ballard was so tall, that he couldn't get the proper leverage to block most defensive ends, and as result the Giants offensive line was so bad last year, because they could not scheme around it. #1 reason they got the black unicorn, was how good of a blocker he was, so I expect a turnaround on the line (but not because of the talent on the line).

The huge difference for 2011 and 2010 for Eli was Cruz. Such a huge upgrades over guys like Michael Clayton.

bionic77

I honestly don't think the Saints Oline is all that great besides Jahri and Carl Nicks (who is now gone to the bucs) but Brees has a great bility to elude the sack and he makes them look good. Also there is a lot of chipping going on in the Saints offense and they do it well.
It is a team wide thing. Sometimes the qb can make the line look better or worse. Sometimes it is the scheme.

Everyone bitches about their offensive line.

And nobody notices when a pass rusher has done nothing all game.
Yeah generally during a live game you are only going to notice when a guy gets beat.

The thing that annoys me most is when a line fails to pick up the same blitz the 2nd and 3rd time it is used. Anyone can get confused or beat once, but when it is consistent failure and then you are forced to have two tight ends kept back to block that is when I usually start to lose my shit. The coaches also have to adjust to what the defense is doing. A really good offensive team might gets its ass beat for 3 quarters and then eventually they figure out what the defense is doing and beat it. Dumb teams (like Arians under the Steelers), can't adjust during the game. I always wondered why the fuck we paid arians anything when the offense always worked 200% better with Ben calling the plays (a big reason for so many of his heroics). I don't know why the Colts got him. Luck deserves a lot better.

eznark

Banned
Everyone bitches about their offensive line.

And nobody notices when a pass rusher has done nothing all game.

Just for you I am going to make a post every single time an offensive linemen does his job.

NFL 2012 Season: The Year of Nice Block

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Nice block. c/p

Bowser

There's a thread about Freeman-Stafford disease in the OT.

taco_bell_logo.gif

?

cajunator

Banned
I seem to remember some youtube asshole Giants fan at the beginning of 2011 season screaming about how the giants receivers were bums and that Philadelphia had done everything needed to win the championship. Does anybody remember who that guy was?

brentech

Just now watching Hard Knocks. Feel so bad for Reggie Bush....might be a first ever. He's seemed to matured a lot, seems real serious about everything during this show and turned a corner in his running the last 2 years.

Then the team starts trading away and cutting assets to a team already lacking talent.....I kind of get that they simply want a strong "team" more than stars or standouts, but it's too early in Philbin's tenure to go that route. Not even giving themselves a very good shot in making that transition.

The guys that are there trying to win games for that team have to be so discouraged.

Bowser

I honestly think Philbin is gonna be a Cameron-level flame out (i.e. start 0-10 or something and finish with a 1-15, 2-14 record). But he's done so much damage to the team by trying to "mold" it into what he wants that I can't see them firing him like they did Cameron after one season even if he does finish 1-15.

cajunator

Banned
I feel bad for Reggie too. He wasnt perfect but he was fun to watch and in some games he kept our team alive and competitive almost on his own. I still respect him highly, although I have to say I respect Darren Sproles abilities more on a talent level.

brentech

I feel bad for Reggie too. He wasnt perfect but he was fun to watch and in some games he kept our team alive and competitive almost on his own. I still respect him highly, although I have to say I respect Darren Sproles abilities more on a talent level.

Well, that's what I'm kind of saying. I don't think he took things as serious when he played for the Saints. His running wasn't very good there....was obviously more of a pass catcher than a quality RB at that point in his career.
He's really made a strong move to a more physical back with the Dolphins.

MechDX

Mike Greenberg on ESPN radio picked the Texans to go 12-4 and said they were the best team in the NFL if they stay healthy......we are so fucked now.

6-10!

cajunator

Banned
Well, that's what I'm kind of saying. I don't think he took things as serious when he played for the Saints. His running wasn't very good there....was obviously more of a pass catcher than a quality RB at that point in his career.
He's really made a strong move to a more physical back with the Dolphins.

Well, he has a SB ring, so he should just conentrate at this point on helping his team get better. I just feel for him that he ended up on a team that is going backwards.
I'm happy he is personally having success though. He deserves it.

brentech

Agree.

Dolphins getting ridiculous. Episode just ended

Even Ireland is pretty awkward making cuts/trades. Talking to Davis he acted like he didn't know the reasons that they got rid of him, but he was the one that really started and made the deal happen. It's like a joke down there.

K-19

Banned
Its WAY too early to suggest firing Philbin. the season hasnt started yet!

Not really about Philbin, I was just curious. Maybe Pḧilbin is alright, maybe he is doing well, maybe he is like Jesus: an none understood prophet, doing the right thing for his team and us spitting on him like dumbass. Maybe ...

cajunator

Banned
Not really about Philbin, I was just curious. Maybe Pḧilbin is alright, maybe he is doing well, maybe he is like Jesus: an none understood prophet, doing the right thing for his team and us spitting on him like dumbass. Maybe ...

He doesnt seem like the right fit for them, but I'm just saying we have to see a body of work from the guy, even if it will inevitably be an awful one, before there are grounds to fire him.

bionic77

You aren't even the best team in the afc, and the NFC >>>>>>>> afc so Greenberg is wrong
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. If the AFC is worse that means that the SB champ is coming from the AFC and right now the Steelers look like dog shit so we are a strong contender for the annual SB champion who pulls it out of their ass at the last second.

We need to get number 7 before Tebow takes over.

bionic77

I haven't bought any new games in a long ass time. No interest in Madden but that 3DS XL and Kid Icarus are calling to me. Only thing stopping me is that I have zero time to play this shit.

Fuck you kids and your videogames and free time to waste on mindless entertainment. Keep that shit off my lawn!

Slo

I haven't bought any new games in a long ass time. No interest in Madden but that 3DS XL and Kid Icarus are calling to me. Only thing stopping me is that I have zero time to play this shit.

Fuck you kids and your videogames and free time to waste on mindless entertainment. Keep that shit off my lawn!

Old man-fist-bump!

cajunator

Banned

Kid Icarus is a pretty awesome game, but controlling it is frustrating sometimes. Its not very intuitive. Probably one of Nintendo's worse efforts. Usually they get game controls right.

bionic77

Kid Icarus is a pretty awesome game, but controlling it is frustrating sometimes. Its not very intuitive. Probably one of Nintendo's worse efforts. Usually they get game controls right.
I actually loved the controls. Felt so fast paced and much more accurate than we are used to with dual analog.

It does get tiring after awhile, but I can handle that.

We will become best friends at that time!
Sweet!

You can fly over to my house for the celebratory BBQ. How do you like your steaks/burgers?

I actually loved the controls. Felt so fast paced and much more accurate than we are used to with dual analog.

It does get tiring after awhile, but I can handle that.

Sweet!

You can fly over to my house for the celebratory BBQ. How do you like your steaks/burgers?

I have to be honest with you: the only thing I love more than steaks are burgers

Giants starters will likely play one series at most tonight against the Pats. Hakeem Nicks will play according to sources but don't expect to see much of him out there.

There's some intriguing stuff for Giants fans to watch for tonight.

- The wide receiver battle. Will Ramses Barden have another big game to separate himself and lock a roster spot down? Jernigan, Barden, Randle and Hixon are all vying for that 3rd WR role. David Douglas is the dark horse here. He flashed last week on special teams and had a good game at WR as well.

- Linebackers. There's going to be an odd man out and right now it's seeming more and more like it will be Greg Jones. The Giants have a ton of talent here and Blackburn, Boley, Kiwi, Rivers, Jacquian Williams, Herzlich are all locks. That leaves Massau, Jones and Paysinger fighting it out for that last spot. Paysinger is looking like the man here. He's the top ST player on the team and was named captain last game for his performances.

- Defensive end. That 4th DE spot is up for grabs and Adewale Ojomo is making a big name for himself right now. Adrian Tracy was almost a lock for the spot but got injured and Ojomo has taken advantage. He leads the team in preseason sacks, tackles for losses and QB pressures. Hard to ignore production right? The Giants have some tough decisions here as Matt Broha has also been playing well. Tracy, Ojomo and Broha...we're going to end up cutting some really good players here.:(

bionic77

As usual Ben was right about artificial turf being more dangerous to knees.

Fucking Buffalo. They can't even get the grass right!

In March 2010, an NFL panel found that certain serious knee and ankle injuries happen more often in games played on FieldTurf. An NFL spokesman said at the time that further study was needed before anyone could draw conclusions, and FieldTurf president Eric Daliere argued that the study was flawed.

So the next time players complain about the green colored mud field at Heinz they should shut the fuck up and realize that the Steelers are doing it for player safety (not because we are cheap or anything).

cajunator

Banned
As usual Ben was right about artificial turf being more dangerous to knees.

Fucking Buffalo. They can't even get the grass right!

So the next time players complain about the green colored mud field at Heinz they should shut the fuck up and realize that the Steelers are doing it for player safety (not because we are cheap or anything).

honestly I would rather the Superdome had a real grass retractable field like Arizona, but that would be prohibitively expensive and there is no room for it. Kind of has to have fieldturf.

Bowser

Raheem Morris wishes Bucs would have spent when he was there

“We were getting fitted for coach of the year rings [in 2010],” Morris told Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. “A year later, we weren’t disciplined enough.”

There’s reason for Morris to feel bitter if he wanted to, as the moment he walked out the door the Bucs started spending serious cash on veteran free agents. On the day they dropped $140 million worth of contracts on Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks and Eric Wright, Morris sent a text to Bucs GM Mark Dominik.

“I gave him some nice choice words,” Morris said. “But he was great about it. He laughed. He said he knew he was going to get this phone message. …

“They gave them to those coaches and let those guys have an opportunity to go out there and do it. I’ve got no ill will toward anybody for not signing a free agent or signing one. It’s a timing thing. I wasn’t my time. We didn’t go out and get the free agents. We wanted to build through the draft.”

The biggest thing I take away from this is that apparently they have CotY rings in the NFL.

bionic77

honestly I would rather the Superdome had a real grass retractable field like Arizona, but that would be prohibitively expensive and there is no room for it. Kind of has to have fieldturf.
You can always grow the grass outside and put it in weekly for each game.

How expensive can it be to resod for 8-10 games a year?

cajunator

Banned
You can always grow the grass outside and put it in weekly for each game.

How expensive can it be to resod for 8-10 games a year?

well the Dome is constantly changing anyway, so it probably could work. It would grow extremely well too, because it rains all the time. I'm sure there are reasons for it. Probably impossible to bind it safely in a way that wont cause it to slide around considering that the Dome floor is concrete.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

you young parents are so cute with your lack of free time!

Top Bottom