• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

Novid

Banned
honestly I would rather the Superdome had a real grass retractable field like Arizona, but that would be prohibitively expensive and there is no room for it. Kind of has to have fieldturf.

isnt field turf that vulcanized parts of rubber painted? no wonder it would fuck a persons knee up.

effzee

I haven't seen Hard Knocks (ever) and don't follow the Phins so maybe I am way off base here.

But I just don't get it. Most teams have a clear plan of what they want to do, even if they fail at it or you can see they will fail. What is the Dolphins plan? Complete rebuild? And did they just decide that now when in camp Tannenhill beat out Moore? Or when Gerrard got hurt? Shouldn't this have been decided way back in March before the draft?

And if you are in complete rebuild mode, got rid of Davis and Marshall, get rid of Bush too. By the time the team is any good, he will be too old for the NFL. Trade him now while you can get some value for him and start a rookie RB. Feel bad for Bush. He was great for me in FF last year and seemed like he was finally getting how to run in the NFL.

effzee

I wouldn't worry. I don't think the Eagles are going to be one of our two wins this season.

Wouldn't count them out. Under Reid they have been terrible in openers. And a team that I fear once again is over confident, might think it doesn't have to really show up for the Browns.

I'll be in Rome for the first Sunday of the season :(

LJ11

I haven't seen Hard Knocks (ever) and don't follow the Phins so maybe I am way off base here.

But I just don't get it. Most teams have a clear plan of what they want to do, even if they fail at it or you can see they will fail. What is the Dolphins plan? Complete rebuild? And did they just decide that now when in camp Tannenhill beat out Moore? Or when Gerrard got hurt? Shouldn't this have been decided way back in March before the draft?

And if you are in complete rebuild mode, got rid of Davis and Marshall, get rid of Bush too. By the time the team is any good, he will be too old for the NFL. Trade him now while you can get some value for him and start a rookie RB. Feel bad for Bush. He was great for me in FF last year and seemed like he was finally getting how to run in the NFL.

I would say most teams don't have a plan, league wide incompetence, if you have one your the exception.

Honestly, it's hard for a coach or observe players in OTAs. Once they get into camp, start practicing, learning, and eventually executing you form a better understanding. Marshall was a no-brainer, Chad wasn't good to begin with, and they got great value for Vontae. Their secondary got lit the fuck up at times, Sean Smith isn't very good but he's still on the roster because he's out there doing what coaches want, doesn't have much value either.

Edit: Getting rid of Bush would send the wrong message, also need to keep some good players around. I honestly believe they got rid of trash. Don't give a fuck what kind of talent you have when you're an absolute psycho, you aren't worth the trouble.

K-19

Banned
Bengals signed FA C Jeff Faine, a former Browns, Saints and Bucs. About 10 seasons, what is the average of seasons for a football player career? The guys made 117 games, seems pretty big as center.

cajunator

Banned
I would say most teams don't have a plan, league wide incompetence, if you have one your the exception.

Honestly, it's hard for a coach or observe players in OTAs. Once they get into camp, start practicing, learning, and eventually executing you form a better understanding. Marshall was a no-brainer, Chad wasn't good to begin with, and they got great value for Vontae. Their secondary got lit the fuck up at times, Sean Smith isn't very good but he's still on the roster because he's out there doing what coaches want.

The Saints definitely had a plan or else they would be in chaos right now. They have the "next man up" mentality and every player is treated the same, as long as they produce. doesnt matter if they have a criminal history or not (most of them don't though). It also doesn't matter how high of a draft pick they were or even if they werent one. Our starting # WR was nearly Mr. Irrelevant and Graham was a late third rounder. Pierre Thomas wasnt even drafted and neither was Lance moore.

cajunator

Banned
But to be fair, the Saints arent much different from the rest of the league either. Every team has certain options they would ideally go with. The Dolphins probably do as well but it just isnt working out for them.
These guys are paid millions of dollars to make tough decisions with personnel. they know what they are doing.

LJ11

saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saintssaints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saintssaints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saintssaints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints saints

cool, everyone should strive to be the saints.

LJ11 said:
cool, everyone should strive to be the saints.
williams1-e1330910703409.jpg%3Fw%3D250

Bengals signed FA C Jeff Faine, a former Browns, Saints and Bucs. About 10 seasons, what is the average of seasons for a football player career? The guys made 117 games, seems pretty big as center.

Dude is always injured and very weak at the point of attack. If he ends up being your starter expect your whole offensive line to routinely collapse from the inside out. Apparently he is very smart at his position and will always be the guy pointing out the blocking assignments. After watching him over several seasons I realized he was actually pointing out which guy on defense he thought was going to be the one that ran him over.

Bowser

Dude is always injured and very weak at the point of attack. If he ends up being your starter expect your whole offensive line to routinely collapse from the inside out. Apparently he is very smart at his position and will always be the guy pointing out the blocking assignments. After watching him over several seasons I realized he was actually pointing out which guy on defense he thought was going to be the one that ran him over.

Bengals signed him because their starting C suffered a foot injury a few days ago that might cost him the season. That's already two of Dalton's projected starting lineman out for the season (LG Wharton and C Cook).

eznark

Banned

Honestly, it's hard for a coach or observe players in OTAs. Once they get into camp, start practicing, learning, and eventually executing you form a better understanding. Marshall was a no-brainer, Chad wasn't good to begin with, and they got great value for Vontae. Their secondary got lit the fuck up at times, Sean Smith isn't very good but he's still on the roster because he's out there doing what coaches want, doesn't have much value either.

Edit: Getting rid of Bush would send the wrong message, also need to keep some good players around. I honestly believe they got rid of trash. Don't give a fuck what kind of talent you have when you're an absolute psycho, you aren't worth the trouble.

That's really the point. If Bush was worthless (he isn't) or worth more and other teams made decent offers for him, he would be off the team.

Also, Saints.

Speaking of, its the 7 year anniversary of Katrina.
Is that Jimmy Graham's mom?

...and it's official:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/29/nfl-will-start-season-with-replacement-officials/

The NFL’s replacement officials aren’t going away any time soon.

The league confirmed today in a memo sent to all 32 teams that the regular season will open with replacement officials, as the lockout of the NFL Referees Association continues.

The NFL says it’s ready to negotiate with the locked-out officials, but they’re not close enough to reaching an agreement that it’s realistic to think the regular officials could be on the field when the season starts, one week from tonight.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

A bad call that costs a team a regular-season game would surely amplify the cries for the league to get a deal done with its officials

Just looking at this quote, I really doubt it will. People bitch about the regular refs as it is, more bitching because they're scabs won't force anyone's hand.

The refs are going to have to bend over for the league in the end.

eznark

Banned
Just looking at this quote, I really doubt it will. People bitch about the regular refs as it is, more bitching because they're scabs won't force anyone's hand.

The refs are going to have to bend over for the league in the end.

I think it will a little bit. If you watched any pre-season games it was apparent that the announcers clearyl felt much, much more comfortable ripping the replacement refs. It was relatively rare to hear TV guys be too harsh on officials in the past but in the pre-season they were fucking brutal. Pretty much for the exact same things that guys like Hochuli have been fucking up for 25 years.

cajunator

Banned
I think it will a little bit. If you watched any pre-season games it was apparent that the announcers clearyl felt much, much more comfortable ripping the replacement refs. It was relatively rare to hear TV guys be too harsh on officials in the past but in the pre-season they were fucking brutal. Pretty much for the exact same things that guys like Hochuli have been fucking up for 25 years.

Yeah but Hochuli lets you know "THIS IS MY CONFIDENCE CALL MOTHERFUCKERS" as opposed to the replacement refs being all Philbin when they decide something.
I wouldnt mind half as much if the replacement refs just made the call and stood by it instead of waffling like they dont want to piss off anybody.

BigAT

But to be fair, the Saints arent much different from the rest of the league either. Every team has certain options they would ideally go with. The Dolphins probably do as well but it just isnt working out for them.
These guys are paid millions of dollars to make tough decisions with personnel. they know what they are doing.

matt-millen1.jpg

squicken

These guys are worse, but I do agree with idea of bringing in some accountability to the refs. They need to be able to fire the bad ones. b/c regular refs have been getting worse every year. I personally think the game is simply too fast and complex for anyone to properly call it at field level, but you do need some people down there for administration

And that's what currently is so infuriating about these guys. Bad spots. Not getting the clock right. And basically anything withing 5 yards of the LoS. One thing the real refs are decent at imo is offsides/false starts. I've seen defensive players a couple feet past the LoS at the snap of the ball with no calls, and QBs getting smashed b/c of it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He is in the game, probably just too dumb to comprehend the instruction manual.

In his defense EA games don't come with instruction manuals anymore. Most games don't now a days (although I wish every system does what the Vita does with them - digital game manuals are way more useful than paper).

Kosmo

Banned

One thing I like about the replacement refs is that they seem less likely to look at the nuance of the rules on some calls and seem to go more with the intent. For instance there was one Troy Polamalu INT that was ruled incomplete against the Colts that I don't think any replacement ref would over turn. Same with the Calvin Johnson "incomplete" pass against the Bears a couple years ago.

Top Bottom