• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread 2012 - A Farewell to snes :(

squicken

Yup. And I mention Webb at the end. I love the guy but he needs a lot of development at QB despite his tools. He has also managed to toss quite a few picks in camp.

Also, as impressive as his running is, its almost always his first instinct.

Didn't see that for some reason. Was mesmerized at the end by that sexy QB in the .GIF

He definitely is still raw, but seemed better suited for the talentless WR sandlot football than Ponder was last year

Preseason Outlook: Green Bay Packers

GnXJ9.jpg

OFFENSE

QB - Aaron Rodgers is the best player in the NFL.

WR - Look for Randall Cobb (18) to have a breakout year. The Packers plan to continue to use Cobb in the slot and on kick returns but they also have plans to use Cobb as a Running Back in reverses, sweeps, and other trick plays. It appears the Packers have looked at how Minnesota has used Percy Harvin and looking to use Cobb in a similar capacity. Also it's Cobb's 2nd year in the offense so he could see more snaps as a pure wideout. The Packers have had a battle in camp over a potential 6th WR spot between Diondre Borel (19) and Tori Gurley (86). Although Gurley is good in goal line situations and on special teams, given his similarities to Randall Cobb and comfortability with QB Aaron Rodgers, look for Borel to be the one who makes a team if the Packers decide on carrying 6 WRs. Jordy Nelson (87), Greg Jennings (85), Donald Driver (80), James Jones (89), and Randall Cobb (18) are locks to make the team, although Jennings is in a contract year so look for him to potentially elevate his play when the regular season rolls around.

TE - Since drops plagued much of his 2011 season, Jermichael Finley (88) is looking to have a much more consistent year now that the Packers have resigned him to a cheap 2-year extension. It seems that the team will give 2nd year TE DJ Williams (84) more reps in the offense this year too, to potentially mirror New England's Gronk/Hernandez TE duo.

RB - James Starks (44) is still, sadly, the featured back in the Packers' offense. Despite getting another offseason to learn blitz pickup, Mr. Falls-Forward still can't seem to *ahem*, pick it up. Behind him are Alex Green (20) and Brandon Saine (33). The coaching staff is high on Saine for his ability to pickup the blitz but also catch the ball. Green is small but quick and shifty. Expect both Green and Saine to share reps as the 3rd down back by committee.

OL - With 2011 draft pick LT Derrek Sherrod (78) still recovering from a broken leg last season and starting LT Marshall Newhouse (74) with a concussion, the Packers are dangerously thin on the offensive line. Because of this, Aaron Rodgers will probably see few minutes in the preseason or at least until Newhouse is in the clear. The only somewhat competent backup seems to be Evan-Dietrich Smith (62) so hopefully he improves and the rest of the line stays healthy. However, the arrival of C Jeff Saturday (63) has improved the O-Line play in general as Saturday is a natural leader on the field and in the locker room.

Position Battles: WR, TE, OL

Players To Watch: Tori Gurley (86), Diondre Borel (19), Evan-Dietrich Smith (62).

Key Departures: Scott Wells (C), Chad Clifton (LT), Ryan Grant (RB).

DEFENSE

DL - Last year was a nightmare for the Packers' defensive line: veteran Cullen Jenkins was let go and sorely missed, Mike Neal (96) got injured in the preseason, and backups CJ Wilson (98) and Jarius Wynn (94) were ineffective. However this year, Neal seems to be returning to form with a powerful first step and ability to bullrush linemen. The Packers also treaded free agency waters by bringing in DT Daniel Muir (77) and DE Anthony Hargrove (95). Muir might not make the team so the preseason is of paramount importance to him. Hargrove has energized the unit but will be suspended for the first 8 games of the season for his role in Sean Payton's Bounty Program, so look for him to take reps against the 3's. The Packers also sought to fortify the D-Line by drafting MSU DE Jerel Worthy (99). Worthy is moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 but he has still shown tremendous anticipation, first step, and burst off of the line. Fourth rounder DT Mike Daniels (76) is playing like a man possessed in camp and looking to make a splash early on. All this to say, the Packers D-Line is much more deep this season which will provide relief to workhorses DT Ryan Pickett (79) and DT BJ Raji (90) who got gassed much of last season.

OLB - To help find a pass rushing threat, the Packers drafted USC DE Nick Perry (53) and converted him into an outside linebacker. Matthews is back on the right as a ROLB with Perry taking the LOLB spot. Perry has struggled making the conversion but flashed at times. Thankfully, undrafted rookie and camp darling Dezman Moses (54) has come out of nowhere as a strong pass rushing threat. Also wifebeater Erik Walden (93) has improved given a full offseason under his belt. Stretches to make the team include Frank Zombo (58) due to injury and Vic So'oto (97) because he's not up to snuff as a pass rusher.

ILB - To the chagrin of many Packer fans across the nation, AJ Hawk (50) is still the starting linebacker due to his playcalling ability and experience in the system. However Hawk's days might be numbered now that DJ Smith (51) is showing great prowess in the system, notably pass coverage. At the very least, Smith will take some reps in certain packages to help cover the field. Jamari Lattimore (57) has bulked up in the offseason and is looking to make a bigger impact this year, although it's doubtful that he'll see much time.

CB - The Packers may have struck gold in this draft because not only did they get strong pass rushers but they also drafted help in the secondary notably first year corner Casey Hayward (29) who is looking like the teams' nickel corner. He reminds coaches and fans alike of CB Sam Shields (37) who made a big contribution right away with his hip-to-hip coverage and ability to fly around the field. Speaking of Shields, his stock has dropped significantly due to his inability to tackle. If Shields is to get many reps beyond special teams this season, look for him to make an impression tackling this pre-season. Second year CB Devon House (31) is also impressing coaches with his coverage skills and physical play and many think that he will be starter opposite CB Tramon Williams (38) when the regular season opens September 9th.

S - Charles Woodson (21) has been moved to safety partly because the Packers cut he who shall not be named and partly because Woodson is a old ass grandpa who can't cover anymore. Still with Woodson's football smarts' coupled with rising star Morgan Burnett (42), the backfield is a much safer place nowadays. When the Packers want to use Woodson near the line of scrimmage look for second year man MD Jennings (43) to make his presence felt. Rookie Jerron McMillain (22) has impressed early too so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him on the field although the Packers would perhaps like for him to learn the defense before hitting the field.

Position Battles: CB, DE

Players To Watch: Nick Perry (53), Jerel Worthy (99), Mike Daniels (73), Devon House (31), Dezman Moses (54), Casey Hayward (29), MD Jennings (43), Sam Shields (37).

Key Departures: Nick Collins (S).

Didn't see that for some reason. Was mesmerized at the end by that sexy QB in the .GIF

He definitely is still raw, but seemed better suited for the talentless WR sandlot football than Ponder was last year

What they need to do is keep cultivating him into a WR. That way him and Ponder can score TD's at the same time.

LJ11

I trust your assessment of him as a player. I just think he has a chance to a better version of Spikes. I'm really excited to hear the reports of the attitude he brings to camp. Spikes and Hightower on run defense is going to be a lot of fun to watch. In Pats camp the report has basically been Hightower has been better than advertised in coverage, but he has a ton of work to do. I think Jones is the pick that has a chance to be special. BTW LJ how is Mark Anderson? I really liked him as a Patriot last season, and he really seemed to improve towards the end of the season. He should get a lot of favorable matchups this season.

I really like Spikes but he seems like a weird dude. Was worried about him last year with those weird tweets and stuff.

Spikes plays with a nasty edge, really runs downhill, I didn't see Hightower play that way after his injury. I agree that Hightower will be the better overall LB, is more versatile, can rush from the outside. He's pretty long, so getting his hands on guys shouldn't be a problem, also cuts down the catching radius with his length.

Honestly, I have no idea how Anderson's been doing, I know the DL has looked great in general. He should have opportunities galore with the guys he's playing next to. I'm looking forwarding to watching Danorris Searcy play this season. He flashed big time last season, and he's looked great. He's got it, just doesn't have the wheels.

Oh, and Byrd has looked absolutely lights out. He's going to have a huge year if the DL actuallys plays well.

Striker

There is an interesting stat from that article which is interesting. Eli has never won a playoff game when the other team scores more than 20 points. Both he and Simms benefited greatly from dominant playoff defenses.
They did lose @PHI in 2006, and would have won/gone to OT if the defense didn't let Jeff Garcia and Brian Westbrook take them in the back ally and score. Defense featured Will Demps so it's no surprise.

I think Hanlon has said there's nothing official about that depth chart, so I tried not to use it. I kind of have a hard time thinking Jerrigan is the man to beat for PR after he had so many issues last year, but who knows. He's certainly in the mix though.
I think in the end Hixon might win the PR job, but Jernigan has apparently shown progress. Optimism.

Excellent analysis, Bucket. I'm watching Cobb hard this season. All his flaws last year were merely rookie mishaps, and I think he'll be blowing up big this season or next.

squicken

still not doing well? i know the bills were high on him, gm even said so after the draft.

Just drops so many passes. People who watch practices go on and on about it. Won't watch it into his hands. Even in practice worried about a hit.

In even more exciting news Barry Fucking Richardson replaced Jason Smith as first string RT. What a bust. He slots in behind Russell and Leaf as biggest busts in recent memory. Arguable he's worse than Leaf since he has taken up so much of cap

squicken

Cossell on Sanchize and Fitz

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/08/08/cosell-talks-mark-sanches-ryan-fitzpatrick/#more-10018

Fitzpatrick has, from time to time, played at a high level over the last two years. But here’s the dose of reality that explains why Fitzpatrick has failed to develop consistency: He seems to struggle with his mechanics, especially his footwork and balance. That has produced accuracy issues; open throws are missed due to poor ball location. There was no better example of this last season – and keep in mind, this is just one of many — than a fourth-quarter interception thrown inside the 5-yard line during a Week 6 loss to the New York Giants. Bills receiver Steve Johnson had easily beaten cornerback Corey Webster off the line of scrimmage on a fade route. Fitzpatrick, however, did not plant his back foot. He never set; he threw the ball off-balance, falling away, and it was badly underthrown. What should have been an easy touchdown became an interception. One could argue that the throw cost the Bills a victory.

Here’s the short version of my analysis of Sanchez: Because of limited arm strength and inconsistent progression reading and decision-making, he’s at his best working with a strong running game that provides a play-action element. Play-action almost always gives a quarterback a defined “either-or” read, with a check-down available if needed. This allows Sanchez to get the ball out quickly, within the structure and timing of the pass game. Through three years, this is what the film shows Sanchez to be. He’s a function of the team around him. He needs a consistent running game and solid offensive line to have a chance to be a quality starter.

It's a good thing Sanchez will have one of the best running games around with Tebow................... Wait to bad he'll be on the bench by then ...

LJ11

Other day Reese was on the radio and said the Bills had the Giants beat, and had no idea why they threw the football. Boomer killed Gailey for throwing the ball late, but bottom line is that if Fitz executes he has Steve open for a TD, missed him twice in that game.

He just rushes throws at times, it's not hot potato. Some of that is on our OTs, the pass game is designed to mitigate the lack of talent at that position. You need to get rid of it quick, but sometimes he's too quick with it.

squicken

He just rushes throws at times, it's not hot potato. Some of that is on our OTs, the pass game is designed to mitigate the lack of talent at that position. You need to get rid of it quick, but sometimes he's too quick with it.

Eli is really the only non-scrambling QB who doesn't seem fazed by pressure. Even Brady and Manning get jittery as they get hit. Rules make goliaths like Ben and Cam even more fearless.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
ESPN says Joe Haden failed a drug test. I'm not sure the Brownies are going to have enough players left to field a team.

squicken

J-GAR SCANDAL

He already knows what it's like catching passes from an NFL quarterback. He was working out in San Diego this past offseason when he met former Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Garcia.

"I guess he liked what he saw," Johnson said. "He said, 'Who's your agent?' I told him. He said, 'You need a local guy.' "

Garcia isn't a registered agent but works with one, California-based David Silva. So Johnson switched agents to Silva. One of the fringe benefits of this arrangement is that Garcia threw to him during workouts. "He zips it," Johnson said. "He's still got it."

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_8ada8fce-6a9a-5f8e-9eef-6cea97521999.html

Why does J-GAR need to prey on innocent, low paid players and get them to switch agents? What is his cut? Why is he out recruiting players? Shouldn't he have enough money saved? Is he probably also running a drug and prostitution ring?

greepoman

Tennessee Titans

WLGB9.jpg

As a long time lurker and occasional poster I'm usually superstitious about posting my team because every time I have we've had an awful season. But since it's late and I'm not thinking right what the hell.

Last year the division was there for the taking and we crumbled. I blame the short off-season for not giving enough time for old man Hasselback and also Mr. Holdout CJ1K.

OFFENSE

QB - Both QBs should benefit from a full off-season. Competition heating up between Matt "The Real Ice" Hasselback and Jake "Silky Smooth" Locker...while Jake started out with an interception his first past in practice and looked raw, he's looked better and more comfortable as of late. Matt has been more consistent in practice...consistently completing both more passes and more interceptions. They continue to split reps and no decision on the starter has been made. Local talk says they're leaning towards Locker but I don't know how much to believe that considering the first half of the schedule. Update: Locker named starter

RB - CJ1K looking quicker and more decisive. Says he's fine with a "pass-first" offense. Look for him to have a productive year. Javon Ringer and Jamie Harper are competing for the backup roll but Harper is running with power and authority so Ringer is definitely not a shoe-in for the backup roll and could possibly be beaten out my Harper.

WR - Ah Kenny Britt..such talent...such stupidity. After his run-in with the law this off-season (8th since the Titans drafted him in 2009), he missed an appointment with a trainer and then posted this gem on the internet:
UPyIs.jpg

He's still not 100% from last years injury and he's having some small setbacks so a suspension might serve him well. Kendall Wright (1st round pick) isn't up to speed and is confused at times but also has made some nice grabs and shows good effort. Nate Washingtion still solid. Lavelle Hawkins bothered by a nagging ankle.

TE - Jared Cook entires the final year of his rookie contract but is still not a reliable receiving option. Craig Stevens is probably the blocking TE option but the titans signed former Jaguar TE Joey Haynos so maybe they're looking for options. TE remains a weak spot. Rookie Taylor Thompson has been earning some praise in camp but considering he was a DE at SMU and TE is new to him he seems more of a long term project.

OL - Fernando Velasco looks like he'll end up being the starting center since Amano was lost for the season. Michael Roos and David Stewart remain one of the top OT duos. Steve Hutchinson's addition will hopefully improve the run-blocking with Leroy Harries shifting over to RG.

DEFENSE

DE - After ranking 31st in sacks Kamerion Wimbley was signed to add some speed pass rush. Derrick Morgan's knee is 100% so that should provide some help too

DT - Last year's midround rookies Jurrell Casey and Karl Klug performed well and continue to look good. With the prospect of losing his starting position and maybe roster spot Shaun Smith lost 30 lbs, but it remains to be seen if that will be enough with Mike Martin looking good and Sen'Derrick Marks still around.

LB - The Titans signed LB Keith Bulluck to a one-day contract so that he may retire a Titan, good way to send him out. Witherspoon still trucking and Zack Brown showing some nice sideline to sideline speed. After stepping after Ruud's injury Colin McCarthy played well so expect him to be the starter at MLB.

CB - With the departure of Cortland "Short Man Complex" Finnegan the Titans look to fellow 5'10" short man Alterraun Verner to step up and be Andre Johnson's punching bag. Jason McCourty has emerged as a leader on defense is fast and athletic.

S - The two starters will be Michael Griffin and Jordan Babineaux. Despite their shortcomings they are a solid duo with Babineaux leading the team in tackles last season. No one else has much experience and to address depth at safety the Titans signed Tracy Wilson(formerly of the Jets). Rookie Markelle Martin looks raw and needs time to develop. He'll probably play special teams.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Bironas is Bironas and Brett Kern is a decent punter. Marc Mariani will probably continue to returns kicks and punts. Update: Mariani out with broken Tibia and Fibula...ouch.

Looking Forward

With the 1st four games consisting of NE, @SD, DET, and @HOUS it's very possible we'll be looking at a 4-0
L-W
start. The schedule gets more manageable from there and once the Houston injuries kick in I expect us to cruise to a 9-7 division title.

And who needs Tebow when you have

ICRyI.jpg

Zeke

wait did he just shop his name on the list? :jnc
In other news being unemployed fucking sucks god damn. Don't get me wrong I love the sitting on my ass sleeping in part but the no money part is a deal breaker.

Chili

Good morning NFL-GAF.

Just checking in and saying hello before the start of the pre-season. UK-based Redskins fan here. Cannot wait to see some football tonight, even if it is preseason.

Tennessee Titans

WLGB9.jpg

As a long time lurker and occasional poster I'm usually superstitious about posting my team because every time I have we've had an awful season. But since it's late and I'm not thinking right what the hell.

Last year the division was there for the taking and we crumbled. I blame the short off-season for not giving enough time for old man Hasselback and also Mr. Holdout CJ1K.

OFFENSE

QB - Both QBs should benefit from a full off-season. Competition heating up between Matt "The Real Ice" Hasselback and Jake "Silky Smooth" Locker...while Jake started out with an interception his first past in practice and looked raw, he's looked better and more comfortable as of late. Matt has been more consistent in practice...consistently completing both more passes and more interceptions. They continue to split reps and no decision on the starter has been made. Local talk says they're leaning towards Locker but I don't know how much to believe that considering the first half of the schedule.

RB - CJ1K looking quicker and more decisive. Says he's fine with a "pass-first" offense. Look for him to have a productive year. Javon Ringer and Jamie Harper are competing for the backup roll but Harper is running with power and authority so Ringer is definitely not a shoe-in for the backup roll and could possibly be beaten out my Harper.

WR - Ah Kenny Britt..such talent...such stupidity. After his run-in with the law this off-season (8th since the Titans drafted him in 2009), he missed an appointment with a trainer and then posted this gem on the internet:
UPyIs.jpg

He's still not 100% from last years injury and he's having some small setbacks so a suspension might serve him well. Kendall Wright (1st round pick) isn't up to speed and is confused at times but also has made some nice grabs and shows good effort. Nate Washingtion still solid. Lavelle Hawkins bothered by a nagging ankle.

TE - Jared Cook entires the final year of his rookie contract but is still not a reliable receiving option. Craig Stevens is probably the blocking TE option but the titans signed former Jaguar TE Joey Haynos so maybe they're looking for options. TE remains a weak spot.

OL - Fernando Velasco looks like he'll end up being the starting center since Amano was lost for the season. Michael Roos and David Stewart remain one of the top OT duos. Steve Hutchinson's addition will hopefully improve the run-blocking with Leroy Harries shifting over to RG.

DEFENSE

DE - After ranking 31st in sacks Kamerion Wimbley was signed to add some speed pass rush. Derrick Morgan's knee is 100% so that should provide some help too

DT - Last year's midround rookies Jurrell Casey and Karl Klug performed well and continue to look good. With the prospect of losing his starting position and maybe roster spot Shaun Smith lost 30 lbs, but it remains to be seen if that will be enough with Mike Martin looking good and Sen'Derrick Marks still around.

LB - The Titans signed LB Keith Bulluck to a one-day contract so that he may retire a Titan, good way to send him out. Witherspoon still trucking and Zack Brown showing some nice sideline to sideline speed. After stepping after Ruud's injury Colin McCarthy played well so expect him to be the starter at MLB.

CB - With the departure of Cortland "Short Man Complex" Finnegan the Titans look to fellow 5'10" short man Alterraun Verner to step up and be Andre Johnson's punching bag. Jason McCourty has emerged as a leader on defense is fast and athletic.

S - The two starters will be Michael Griffin and Jordan Babineaux. Despite their shortcomings they are a solid duo with Babineaux leading the team in tackles last season. No one else has much experience and to address depth at safety the Titans signed Tracy Wilson(formerly of the Jets). Rookie Markelle Martin looks raw and needs time to develop. He'll probably play special teams.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Bironas is Bironas and Brett Kern is a decent punter. Marc Mariani will probably continue to returns kicks and punts.

Looking Forward

With the 1st four games consisting of NE, @SD, DET, and @HOUS it's very possible we'll be looking at a 4-0
L-W
start. The schedule gets more manageable from there and once the Houston injuries kick in I expect us to cruise to a 9-7 division title.

And who needs Tebow when you have

ICRyI.jpg

Only have to worry about Houston again this year. May have a chance for wildcard. Just need not to give away wins to Jax and other losing teams.

On a good note they did help me out on a avatar bet...

I may retire undefeated in av bets 1-0...lol

Milchjon

Good morning NFL-GAF.

Just checking in and saying hello before the start of the pre-season. UK-based Redskins fan here. Cannot wait to see some football tonight, even if it is preseason.

Euro takeover is under full steam. Welcome.

Also, one little request: Get your boy Bobby G to keep those Giants out of the playoffs this time, pls.

Top Bottom