• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 13 - NFC Teams don't need to get in the playoffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Sactown said:
I don't understand why the media is hating on Manning. There's no way we would have won any of these game with Warner as our QB. Our WR's get no space, Tiki is tiring, our O Line is inconsistent, and now our defense is falling apart. The main reasons we were winning early in the season were Tiki's incredible play, and more importantly our defense forcing turnovers. I don't remember us forcing a fumble or getting an INT in the last 3 weeks, we did it 7 times for Warner in 1 game.

Giants are 5-0 when they have a >+1 turnover ratio. 0-7 otherwise.

The defense miraculously held together for the first twelve weeks through an insane amount of injuries. As I had said in IRC, not even Joe Montana in his prime would help the Giants win. It's not a one man show, football is a team game (Unless you are the falcons).

The straw that broke the camel's back was losing Gibril Wilson to a shoulder burner. He was playing like a pro-bowler and making huge plays in both the secondary and at the line of scrimmage.

bionic77

Sactown said:
I don't understand why the media is hating on Manning. There's no way we would have won any of these game with Warner as our QB. Our WR's get no space, Tiki is tiring, our O Line is inconsistent, and now our defense is falling apart. The main reasons we were winning early in the season were Tiki's incredible play, and more importantly our defense forcing turnovers. I don't remember us forcing a fumble or getting an INT in the last 3 weeks, we did it 7 times for Warner in 1 game.

The media will come around as soon as Manning starts to win. I don't know why you are giving the sports media any credit, they are largely all retarded. However, I think it is a legit complaint about putting Manning in when they did. If I was the coach of the Giants I would have made sure to put Manning in against the creampuffs of the schedule and let Warner go up against the tough Ds when the line was playing crappy. I agree that Manning isn't to blame, he has made rookie mistakes, but I think the real mistake was of the coach. Maybe Coughlin is trying to cover his ass and put the blame on Manning?

Still, I can't feel that bad for Manning, he is getting exactly what he asked for. He wanted to start and he wanted to play in NYC.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I haven't seen any national media giving anything but praise to Manning, which is curious. Sure, they question whether he should have been brought in to start on a team in the playoff hunt(he shouldn't have), but they never question whether he will be good. I'd just love to hear somebody say "You know, guys...6 of 20 is pretty damned shitty. There's always a chance he's going to be a bust." but instead we get "Look at this presence! He throws the ball way over his receiver's head, but he knew right where he wanted to put it!" and "Look at the way the ball just flies backwards when he is readying a throw, he looks just like the veteran he replaced!"

bionic77

Archaix said:
I haven't seen any national media giving anything but praise to Manning, which is curious. Sure, they question whether he should have been brought in to start on a team in the playoff hunt(he shouldn't have), but they never question whether he will be good. I'd just love to hear somebody say "You know, guys...6 of 20 is pretty damned shitty. There's always a chance he's going to be a bust." but instead we get "Look at this presence! He throws the ball way over his receiver's head, but he knew right where he wanted to put it!" and "Look at the way the ball just flies backwards when he is readying a throw, he looks just like the veteran he replaced!"

:lol

He ain't no Roethlisberger that is for damned sure.

Then again, no living man on this planet is his equal.

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
Spectral Glider said:
This game is actually turning out good.

2000 was the last really great year for MNF, the year of the Dennis Miller experience.

The results that year:

Sept. 4, 2000 ST. LOUIS 41, Denver 36
Sept. 11, 2000 NEW YORK JETS 20, New England 19
Sept. 18, 2000 Dallas 27, WASHINGTON 21
Sept. 25, 2000 INDIANAPOLIS 43, Jacksonville 14
Oct. 2, 2000 KANSAS CITY 24, Seattle 17
Oct. 9, 2000 MINNESOTA 30, Tampa Bay 23
Oct. 16, 2000 TENNESSEE 27, Jacksonville 13
Oct. 23, 2000 NEW YORK JETS 40, Miami 37 (OT) One of the best finishes ever.
Oct. 30, 2000 Tennessee 27, WASHINGTON 21
Nov. 6, 2000 GREEN BAY 26, Minnesota 20 (OT)
Nov. 13, 2000 DENVER 27, Oakland 24
Nov. 20, 2000 Washington 33, ST. LOUIS 20
Nov. 27, 2000 CAROLINA 31, Green Bay 14
Dec. 4, 2000 NEW ENGLAND 30, Kansas City 24
Dec. 11, 2000 INDIANAPOLIS 44, Buffalo 20
Dec. 18, 2000* TAMPA BAY 38, St. Louis 35 Great, great game.
Dec. 25, 2000 TENNESSEE 31, Dallas 0 And they end on a sour note.

You sure 2000 was Dennis Miller? I think it may have been 2001. The Dennis Miller year had the Bucs and Jets on MNF.

if you put eli manning on the steelers right now, i'm fairly confident he would have pretty good success. i wouldn't call the steelers a "plug in anyone @ qb" team like the rams or early 90's 49ers, but when you get 100+ yards a game rushing and have a top 5 defense, it makes you look very good. roethlisberger with cheese (that name is reserved for john engleberger with cheese when the niners return to stardom! stay away chris berman!) is an awesome QB no doubt. but if you put him on the NY Giants he wouldn't be 11-0.

bionic77

FrenchMovieTheme said:
if you put eli manning on the steelers right now, i'm fairly confident he would have pretty good success. i wouldn't call the steelers a "plug in anyone @ qb" team like the rams or early 90's 49ers, but when you get 100+ yards a game rushing and have a top 5 defense, it makes you look very good. roethlisberger with cheese (that name is reserved for john engleberger with cheese when the niners return to stardom! stay away chris berman!) is an awesome QB no doubt. but if you put him on the NY Giants he wouldn't be 11-0.

If Ben played for the Giants they wouldn't be 11-0, but they would probably have a better record then they have now. Ben makes sure he does not lose a game, which is the most important thing a qb can do. And if necessary he has shown he can lead a team to victory when necessary.

Eli has a big arm, but he has to learn how to start making better decisions.

Still I agree that Eli would have been better off on the Steelers. I don't think the Steelers would be 11-1 with Eli though, and I don't think he would be happy throwing 19 times a game.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
If Ben played for the Giants they wouldn't be 11-0, but they would probably have a better record then they have now.

i'm sorry, but there is simply no way to know that. who knows how ben plays if he's afraid of getting his head taken off every play because of a nonexistant o-line. who knows how ben plays when his defense gives up 31 points and they have to abandon the run game and he has to throw 30 times to mediocre recievers.

there's no basis on which to say the giants would have a better record with ben. it's ridiculous to say otherwise. you just don't know.

bionic77

Eminem said:
i'm sorry, but there is simply no way to know that. who knows how ben plays if he's afraid of getting his head taken off every play because of a nonexistant o-line. who knows how ben plays when his defense gives up 31 points and they have to abandon the run game and he has to throw 30 times to mediocre recievers.

there's no basis on which to say the giants would have a better record with ben. it's ridiculous to say otherwise. you just don't know.

All good points, but remember Ben is a Messiah, the normal rules don't apply to him.

i wonder what will happen when the steelers lose in the afc championship game...

eagles of today = steelers of yesterday! afc championship losses to the chargers, broncos, patriots... im probably missing a team in there, but you get the point. steelers SHOULD have had a dynasty of sorts in the past 10 years, but not to be... much like the eagles of today.

bionic77

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i wonder what will happen when the steelers lose in the afc championship game...

eagles of today = steelers of yesterday! afc championship losses to the chargers, broncos, patriots... im probably missing a team in there, but you get the point. steelers SHOULD have had a dynasty of sorts in the past 10 years, but not to be... much like the eagles of today.

We could never close the deal before because we didn't have the quarterback. Things are different this year with Big Ben.

The Steelers have already won the Superbowl, you just don't realize it yet. :D

I haven't had much time to listen to the "National Media," but driving to and from work listening to 1050 ESPN Radio ("Home of the 9-3 NY Jets") I've been been hearing them calling out Coughlin on the QB switch the past two weeks. I pretty much agree with what they're saying that;

1. Going to Manning when the team was 5-4 has seriously damaged team morale. (though it pisses me off how "touchy" this batch of Giants seems to be, we're a long way from the Parcell's Giants)

2. Manning has looked worse every week. He doesn't have the pieces in place around him to succede and clearly hasn't caused a "spark" in the team's offense which now looks dreadful.

3. That going back to Warner won't be any worse for Eli's confidense than having him get his head handed to him by the Ravens' and Steelers' defenses.

4. That the Giants were in a good position to make the playoffs in a very weak NFC and even with their collapse could still salvage the season, though Eli is not ready to be the savior. Also, Eli may be more of a project than people expected.

With the way things are going, the team is sinking, Manning isn't showing enough progress to justify the losses, and the only team benefiting is the San Diego Chargers. Nice work Mr. Coughlin.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
KilledByBill said:
I haven't had much time to listen to the "National Media," but driving to and from work listening to 1050 ESPN Radio ("Home of the 9-3 NY Jets") I've been been hearing them calling out Coughlin on the QB switch the past two weeks. I pretty much agree with what they're saying that;

1. Going to Manning when the team was 5-4 has seriously damaged team morale. (though it pisses me off how "touchy" this batch of Giants seems to be, we're a long way from the Parcell's Giants)

2. Manning has looked worse every week. He doesn't have the pieces in place around him to succede and clearly hasn't caused a "spark" in the team's offense which now looks dreadful.

3. That going back to Warner won't be any worse for Eli's confidense than having him get his head handed to him by the Ravens' and Steelers' defenses.

4. That the Giants were in a good position to make the playoffs in a very weak NFC and even with their collapse could still salvage the season, though Eli is not ready to be the savior. Also, Eli may be more of a project than people expected.

With the way things are going, the team is sinking, Manning isn't showing enough progress to justify the losses, and the only team benefiting is the San Diego Chargers. Nice work Mr. Coughlin.

None of this is true simply because Warner sucks. The last 2 games that Warner lost for the Giants (and it was his fault they lost), would have been wins if Eli was the QB. Warner would have been sacked 20 times in the last 3 games instead of the ~10 that Eli has. Peyton couldn't have helped the Giants win the games that Eli has started, when you're receivers are dropping every ball that's not perfect, and can't get more than 2 inches of seperation, it's hard for a QB to do his job.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
bionic77 said:

The only people who still don't think Ben is the best QB of the last draft are either fans of, friends of, or related to someone named Manning.

levious

tmdorsey said:
The Patroits are not a dynasty. If they go to the Superbowl and win this year, maybe, but not at this point in time.

oh I was just giving him crap... but I do find the humor in a Falcons fan discussing what is and is not a dynasty. ;)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
bionic77 said:

a_chad_vt.jpg

We shall see, my friend. We shall see.

tmdorsey

levious said:
oh I was just giving him crap... but I do find the humor in a Falcons fan discussing what is and is not a dynasty. ;)

:lol Well I've been able to watch some dynasty teams, longing for the day my team could be like those teams.

Future Trunks said:
You sure 2000 was Dennis Miller? I think it may have been 2001. The Dennis Miller year had the Bucs and Jets on MNF.

The Dennis Miller experience lasted for two seasons, believe it or not, 2000 and 2001.

FrenchMovieTheme said:

Big differences are: 1. None of the 3 championship games the Steelers lost under Cowher were consecutive. 2. Broncos and Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl. 3. Of the 3 the Eagles lost, only 1, the Bucs went on to win the show. And most importantly, 4. Steelers actually made it to the show once. The one huge game that the Steelers flat out took for granted was the 94 game against the Chargers. That loss stung....and it stung even more as I sat and watched the Chargers get humilated by the Niners in the SB. Painful.

Of course, none of that has any bearing on what happens this year in both the Steeelers and Eagles cases, no matter how much the media likes to believe it does.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
everyone is sleeping on the jets. it wouldn't surprise me to see the colts and jets in the AFC championship game. assuming they don't play each other in the first round, obviously.

and one thing i haven't heard one single person anywhere mention...jets are 9-3. Pats are 11-1. Jets play the Pats one more time...what happens if the Jets beat them that last game and the pats stumble sometime between then and the jets end up taking the division, out of nowhere? It really isn't too ridiculous to think about. Now the Jets schedule is harder than the Pats, but you never know. Although, this weekend would have to be the game the Pats lose, because i don't see them losing to miami or SF.

If that happened the Pats might very well end up playing at the Colts in the first round. A bit far fetched...but hey, it could happen =p
Just something to think about.

levious

Eminem said:
If that happened the Pats might very well end up playing at the Colts in the first round. A bit far fetched...but hey, it could happen =p
Just something to think about.

what, another 0-1 playoff for Manning... yeah, it could happen I guess.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
levious said:
what, another 0-1 playoff for Manning... yeah, it could happen I guess.

Keep talking. We'll see what happens in January.

Don't forget you can't rape the WRs this time.

levious

They beat them in the Thursday opener...

but in seriousness, Patriots will always be a tough match for Manning, his effectiveness is powered strongly by his ability to read defenses pre-snap, whereas NE's defense is based strongly on fooling offenses pre-snap. Their matchups will always be entertaining for the foreseeable future.

- and I'm not in any way saying Manning is gimmicky or a one trick pony.

patriots dodged the bullet big time in week 1. 2 edgerrin james fumbles inside the redzone and an uncharacteristic peyton manning sack kept that game from going into OT. all of this against an arguably worse offense AND defense from indy. i think the colts will beat the pats in the playoffs if it comes to that

wtf? dumb move by the colts. harrisson is good no doubt, but as evidenced by stokley, manning has the ability to make average receivers look great. they could have gotten a FA in there and probably been just as successful. plus isn't marvin 32 or something? dude is gettin old. meh, oh well. i guess its better to overspend then not spend at all (niners...)

levious said:
so does this mean no James?
Surely not. The Colts have proved they're a smart organization (e.g. Manning over Leaf, Edge over Ricky Williams). They know how important Edge is to their offence; there's no way they'll let him go--i hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom