• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 |OT| The Comeback is Bigger than the Win

Already burning. No playoffs, two blowouts in a row with the team looking like they didn't want to be there.

The Steelers couldn't take care of their own business anyway.

Ravens already made the playoffs. That's not why i'm so pissed at the Giants.

I wanted them to lose the North. I figured even if the Steelers lost the Bengals could take it from them next week. Now that whole plan has gone to shit.

I heard though that the Giants can still make the playoffs (with help, but still).

Ænima

The Jets win 6 games. Sanchez is terrible. Rex never could manage an offense. Tannenbaum fucked up the cap. But somehow the backup QB gets all the blame for apparently turning a 16-0 team to home for the playoffs
Fuck ESPN for even making this a story. I miss the good old days when the Jets would suck and nobody would bother talking about it. It was just like say the Jags or the Bills sucking. It simply wasn't brought up after a certain point of the season. Now we have to hear about constantly from the national media as if it is one of the biggest stories in the NFL this year, when it really isn't. The Jets suck. Their roster sucks, their coaching sucks, so naturally they suck. End of story.

harbs wont say it publicly but i think justin smith is out for the year. if we don't have justin smith we have a -0% chance to win a playoff game, let alone a superbowl. at least we'll get a high 20's draft pick :D

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Tebow was absolutely in his right to refuse to play. He was brought in under the guise that he would play quarterback and they have been jerking his chain around all season putting him on special teams of all things. Why did the Jets even pursue him if he was just going to be a special teamer? And things got really ugly once it was revealed that they were limiting his snaps on purpose for financial reasons.

squicken

angryGary.jpg

Who the fuck you calling a defensive minded coach?

oh, there's a special class for gary. he's just so unique i wouldn't think to ever put a label on what he is

Tebow was absolutely in his right to refuse to play. He was brought in under the guise that he would play quarterback and they have been jerking his chain around all season putting him on special teams of all things. Why did the Jets even pursue him if he was just going to be a special teamer? And things got really ugly once it was revealed that they were limiting his snaps on purpose for financial reasons.

I think they only got him because the owner wanted him.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
When the Colts win will this collapse be worse than the Buffalo loss?

lol never

That was the most brutal game to ever watch in the history of Houston football since Ive been alive. It still haunts me.

MechDX

oh, there's a special class for gary. he's just so unique i wouldn't think to ever put a label on what he is

Fire Gary, trade Schaub, keep Dennison as the OC, hire Cowher and bring in Flacco! Wade will probably quit be we will just keep Vance Joseph as DC.

SUPERBOWL!

harSon

Banned
Steelers just didn't have it this year. Team had a lot of problems that just kept popping up game after game, and they hung around long enough to fuck us at the wrong time.

Even through all of it, I think we were in a good position to make the playoffs, were it not for one guy:

Ben Roethlisberger.

Ben needs to get a reality check: the team is changing, and you have to change with it.

Dude was on pace for an MVP type season until his injury. Fine. Something must have happened when he came back because he decided to say "fuck it" and go back to the backyard football that he used to run with Arians. It worked at one time, but that shit is over now. Particularly with the mass of injuries the o-line suffered. Holding onto the ball isn't going to work with this offense, and we've seen the fruit from trying.

A lot of Steeler Nation is putting the blame on Haley and frankly I think that's bullshit. The offense only works if you agree to run it and Ben clearly decided not to.

This is so off base.

Unless the Steelers were in the no huddle (when their offense is at its best) or constantly audibling out of plays, then Ben was not the one making the calls, Haley was. The dink and dunk is a planned strategy, and if short routes were not happening, it's because A) the route was covered or B) Haley didn't call that type of play.

Our problem down the stretch was injuries across the offensive line and the effect the lack of an offensive line had on pass and run protection. Haley attempted to run the offense down the stretch, like he did in the middle of the season when our offensive line was relatively healthy and clicking. Unfortunately, these runs on 1st and/or 2nd down would put us in 3rd and long, and as the Bengals proved this Sunday when they sacked us like 4 times on 3rd down, our offensive line is incapable of handling a situation where it must block a longer developing pass play when the defense knows EXACTLY what you're doing on that play (ie. pass play for a decent amount of yardage). Basically, we were predictable, and our offense just isn't good enough (unless Ben is scrambling) to succeed while being predictable.

The "Classic Steelers Football" bullshit mentality and a multitude of injuries was this team's problem (Alongside a complete inability to not shoot ourselves in the foot), and I honestly don't understand how you peg it on Ben.

bionic77

This is so off base.

Unless the Steelers were in the no huddle (when their offense is at its best) or constantly audibling out of plays, then Ben was not the one making the calls, Haley was. The dink and dunk is a planned strategy, and if short routes were not happening, it's because A) the route was covered or B) Haley didn't call that type of play.

Our problem down the stretch was injuries across the offensive line and the effect the lack of an offensive line had on pass and run protection. Haley attempted to run the offense down the stretch, like he did in the middle of the season when our offensive line was relatively healthy and clicking. Unfortunately, these runs on 1st and/or 2nd down would put us in 3rd and long, and as the Bengals proved this Sunday when they sacked us like 4 times on 3rd down, our offensive line is incapable of handling a situation where it must block a longer developing pass play when the defense knows EXACTLY what you're doing on that play (ie. pass play for a decent amount of yardage). Basically, we were predictable, and our offense just isn't good enough (unless Ben is scrambling) to succeed while being predictable.

The "Classic Steelers Football" bullshit mentality and a multitude of injuries was this team's problem (Alongside a complete inability to not shoot ourselves in the foot), and I honestly don't understand how you peg it on Ben.
I have to agree with this. The dink and dunk only works when you are getting positive yards on first and second. Our running game shut down late in the seasons and those plays no longer worked.

Still Ben was not as sharp after the injury and that extended to his few call son audibles.

sonicmj1

Two consecutive terrible blowouts and unbelievably long odds of making the playoffs? The Giants have their backs against the wall; just where they like to be. All is going according to plan.

If we make the playoffs, it'll be unfair to the other teams whose spot we take. They at least have a chance.

Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Matt Schaub, my QB, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Kirby Dr with Gary Kubiak and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?
I should watch that movie.

squicken

Fire Gary, trade Schaub, keep Dennison as the OC, hire Cowher and bring in Flacco! Wade will probably quit be we will just keep Vance Joseph as DC.

SUPERBOWL!

The straw that broke the back for me was when they brought back Gary and Rick. I just really think he's an awful HC. I never liked Schoob. Love that offense but he has just limited all the explosiveness it had when they had it in Denver with all his slow players and noodle at QB. The awful timeout and challenge usage. I hope I'm wrong and they make a run. He seems like a nice guy and the fans deserve it

harSon

Banned
I have to agree with this. The dink and dunk only works when you are getting positive yards on first and second. Our running game shut down late in the seasons and those plays no longer worked.

Still Ben was not as sharp after the injury and that extended to his few call son audibles.

He definitely wasn't sharp but the two losses before this Bengals game weren't because of Ben. This Bengals game was largely him though, he played pretty darn awful. I think the outcome of that game losing drive is different if Heath isn't on the sideline with injury though, ball would have most definitely went his way down the middle.

This is so off base.

The offense is designed for Ben to get rid of the ball if nothing is developing. The past few games Ben has not done this; instead choosing to wait for something to open up downfield and scrambling to buy time.

Ben stuck to Haley's regimen at the beginning of the season and was putting up big numbers and we still had no run game. Upon his return from injury he abandoned it. Surprise - hasn't won since.

Yesterday there were tons of plays with guys wide open and able to get YAC underneath, and Ben ignored them for the big play.

xnipx

Enjoy him.

People at home have completely forgotten about the past few weeks because of yesterday. Reason why I'm not impressed (other than my obvious history and bias of hating Flacco).

1- It was a home game. He usually is passable at home, and occasionally decent. If this was on the road, I'd be impressed.

2- The Giants defense is bad, and their pass defense is 28th.

3- Joe Flacco is a professional NFL quarterback and on occasion, should put up a good game. It happens to them all. Billy Volek had a big game once too.

4 (edit) - Our recievers made some real nice plays, from catches to YAC, making Flacco look good. I still think Torrey Smith and Boldin compliment eachother well. Oh, and Texans fans, Jacoby looked good too. I love me some Jacoby the Baltimore Sleeper Agent.

So now we get, most likely, the Colts in round 1 at home. We can win that game. Great. We're not a Superbowl Caliber team, and It'll just assure Flacco a contract. Sad now.

I really don't understand your flacco hate smh

RBH

NFC

Clinched: Atlanta Falcons (South, home-field advantage); Green Bay Packers (North); San Francisco 49ers (playoff berth); Seattle Seahawks -- (playoff berth)

GREEN BAY PACKERS (at Minnesota Vikings)

Green Bay clinches a first-round bye:

1) GB win

2) GB tie + SF loss or tie

3) SF loss + SEA loss or tie

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (vs. Arizona Cardinals)

San Francisco clinches NFC West division:

1) SF win or tie

2) SEA loss or tie

San Francisco clinches a first-round bye:

1) SF win + GB loss or tie

2) SF tie + GB loss

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (vs. St. Louis Rams)

Seattle clinches NFC West division:

1) SEA win + SF loss

Seattle clinches a first-round bye:

1) SEA win + SF loss + GB loss

WASHINGTON REDSKINS (vs. Dallas Cowboys)

Washington clinches NFC East division:

1) WAS win or tie

Washington clinches a playoff berth:

1) CHI loss + MIN loss

DALLAS COWBOYS (at Redskins)

Dallas clinches NFC East division:

1) DAL win

NEW YORK GIANTS (vs. Philadelphia Eagles)

NY Giants clinch a playoff berth:

1) NYG win + DAL loss or tie + CHI loss + MIN loss

MINNESOTA VIKINGS (vs. Packers)

Minnesota clinches a playoff berth:

1) MIN win

2) MIN tie + CHI loss or tie

3) DAL loss or tie + NYG loss or tie + CHI loss

CHICAGO BEARS (at Detroit Lions)

Chicago clinches a playoff berth:

1) CHI win + MIN loss or tie

2) CHI tie + MIN loss

AFC

Clinched: New England Patriots (East); Denver Broncos (West); Houston Texans (South); Baltimore Ravens (North); Indianapolis Colts (playoff berth); Cincinnati Bengals (playoff berth)

HOUSTON TEXANS (at Colts)

Houston clinches a first-round bye:

1) HOU win or tie

2) NE loss or tie

3) DEN loss

Houston clinches home-field advantage:

1) HOU win

2) HOU tie + DEN loss or tie

3) NE loss or tie + DEN loss

DENVER BRONCOS (vs. Kansas City Chiefs)

Denver clinches a first-round bye:

1) DEN win or tie

2) NE loss or tie

Denver clinches home-field advantage:

1) DEN win + HOU loss or tie

2) DEN tie + HOU loss

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (vs. Miami Dolphins)

New England clinches a first-round bye:

1) NE win + DEN loss

2) NE win + HOU loss

New England clinches home-field advantage:

1) NE win + DEN loss + HOU loss

ari

Banned
Is he playing his starters? Its pointless to risk injury when the game effects nothing for playoff seeding.
Having a chance to knock their divisional leader off from a number one seed is starter worthy. Do i sense a hince of fear mech?

Smokey

The Texans might have a Sanchez situation on their hands. I forgot they extended this dude for another 4 years earlier this season

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

squicken

Isn't that illegal?

He's on the injury report with a bad shoulder. The accurately report his practice participation. Now if they keep listing him as doubtful and not out on Fridays then that is illegal, but they don't have to put him on IR. They can keep him on the roster and hope he gets healthy.

But I thought during the NE game he was out for the year the way they were treating him. It's nuts just how much he held their defense together. Aldon Smith looked like a below average defensive player yesterday. Easily blocked on both the run and pass

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
jGEAjCKbkzVbU.png

"Tell me more about this Monday Brunch!"

Buahahahaha!

Already burning. No playoffs, two blowouts in a row with the team looking like they didn't want to be there.

The Steelers couldn't take care of their own business anyway.
They didn't give a shit about the last two games and then they also lost focus in the NO game and they played like shit in the Redskins game. It's impractical to talk about blowing up the previous year's super bowl champ but it's disgusting that these millionaires can't be motivated enough to play the games in front of them. The talent is there, we saw it against the Packers, Niners, and in three quarters of the Saints game. It's disappointing, being a fan of a team that's complacent and doesn't give a fuck is awful.

This was a bad season. If I stand back and look at the 2012 Giants I can't even tell you what the fuck the team is. They don't have a good pass rush, they can't really run the ball, they can't pass, they can't do anything well for more than one game. Fuck this team, players and the coaching staff, for wasting this season. Can't blame the FO, the talent to win is all there and we weathered injuries with relative ease. Hopefully Jerry Reese can draft another Madden style auto-win dominating player like JPP was his previous two years before this one.

Top Bottom