• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 |OT| The Comeback is Bigger than the Win

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Did anyone just hear Merril Hodge's rant on Tebow? Saying he's not a team player, a terrible football player, that he would make the Jags worse if he went there. What the fuck was he on about?

Gotta love the logic that he'd make the Jags worse when they are going to have either the #1 or #2 pick in next years draft and their QBs this year were Gabbert / Henne.

There is literally no downside for the Jags to pick up Tebow.

Keeps them from drafting a shitty QB with the #1 pick. Will have fans showing up in droves for the short term, if they actually win some football games then it'll last. And if it doesn't then thats fine too.

eznark

Banned
Im at home but i do have a confrrence call with some fucking Germans in a bit. Godless cheerless heathens.

The Bears offense only scored 14 points yesterday? Jesus Christ. Has any offense in football history done less with more??

effzee

I don't care about Tebow but once Hodge has a set viewpoint and in this case he is extremely anti Tebow everything he keeps hammering away. Balances out Skip I guess

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Gotta love the logic that he'd make the Jags worse when they are going to have either the #1 or #2 pick in next years draft and their QBs this year were Gabbert / Henne.

There is literally no downside for the Jags to pick up Tebow.

Keeps them from drafting a shitty QB with the #1 pick. Will have fans showing up in droves for the short term, if they actually win some football games then it'll last. And if it doesn't then thats fine too.

Tebow would sweep us next year.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Anyone else at the office on Christmas eve? Or are all you on winter break? Children.

Only the second year I've had where I didn't have to come in today.

I work in Operations at my company and a lot of us starting bitching about the preferential treatement Corporate seems to always get around Christmas time and they actually listened last year and now going forward.

jakncoke

Banned
Anyone else at the office on Christmas eve? Or are all you on winter break? Children.

My factory is closed today and tomorrow. I get to lose todays pay because the factory is closed but the temp agency is open so in their minds I should buckle my bootstraps and be working! amazing temp service.. so amazing.

Did anyone just hear Merril Hodge's rant on Tebow? Saying he's not a team player, a terrible football player, that he would make the Jags worse if he went there. What the fuck was he on about?

If the reports are true and he did refuse to go into the game for wildcat plays, than that was a ...dick move. And it goes against everything he's always projected himself as (anything for the team to win, team first).

I don't want it to be true, but if it is then...Tebow may not be God's Son after all.

What do kids watch these days (waits for horrible horrible answers)

Kids TV is bad, but I've rewatched some of the shows from when I was a kid, and if you take out the nostalgia, they're equally terrible.

However, I watched an episode of Denver the Last Dinosaur because it came spilling from the depths of mind this weekend, and it was amazing.

Dragon

Banned
Home with fam. Son is sick so I am allowing them both to watch a lot of tv (my daughter is pretty happy about this).

I hate most of these shows...

As long as it isn't Barney I say deal with it. Could always be worse. You could grow up watching Gummi Bears.

bionic77

What do kids watch these days (waits for horrible horrible answers)
My kids are babies. Usually Super Why and Sesame Street (we try to make it educational). The only channels they watch are PBS and Sprout. You know PBS but sprout is like a channel for babies and toddlers. They especially like Caillou, who is a little bitch. There is also a show for pervs like ez called the goodnight show where they tell kids to go to sleep and teach some Spanish while perv dads like ez horn out on the host and come up with creative explanations for their kids to explain the bulge in their pants.

Mostly it is shit but as Larry said the same was true for the most part when we were kids. Sesame Street is pretty decent though. Teaches you stuff and has a lot of good guest stars.

We need luck with injuries and mostly a rebuild on defense. We need to replace most of the line, the LBs, and probably Troy.
while our D is aging they actually played great this year, including yesterday. But we do need to restock at LB and S. not sure what to do about the offense. they have the talent. We just drafted two OL in the top two rounds this season. Nothing we can do about Tomlin 's lack of a brain.

jakncoke

Banned
Verizon internet in pennsyltucky is lol.. so my parents internet has been dodgy. So i finally convince her to call. They were suppose to send someone today to look at the wire, they cancelled it this morning and moved it to Thursday. Just got a call back on for today between 1 and 10. Who makes employees do calls that late on Christmas Eve or really any day lol

Miguel

Texans are the Bears of the AFC. If the defense doesn't come through and make some plays they are screwed as the offense can't do it alone.
The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Verizon internet in pennsyltucky is lol.. so my parents internet has been dodgy. So i finally convince her to call. They were suppose to send someone today to look at the wire, they cancelled it this morning and moved it to Thursday. Just got a call back on for today between 1 and 10. Who makes employees do calls that late on Christmas Eve or really any day lol

Had AT&T send someone today too to check the wiring outside. He just parked his truck out there sat in his truck and then left shortly after. Hoping he is checking something else and not gone completely..

Not that it matters at all but the last play in the Eagles game where Foles was called for an illegal forward pass, was the wrong call. On Eagles live today they said that if the QB is hit in the act of throwing then the ball doesnt have to get back to the line of scrimmage. Weird to see the refs miss a call like that.

ari

Banned
In retrospect, that Falcons beat down the Giants isn't impressive at all. The reeling and inept Ravens crushed the Giants as well.

So much for a signature win.
Don't forget the Bengals also...

Anyway, to answer your other question, i would not mind to see the bears rebuild. Seriously.

1: Let everyone ride out there contract, including lovie and cutler.

2: let urlacher go in the mean time.

3: Offense is out. Trade, pick up, draft.... Marshall,forte, bennett, Louis, jeffrey, bush, and Rodriguez are safe.

4: Another offensive coordinator....Somehow, Tice made the offensive play calling worst, even with a 1200 yard receiver. Also, The fact that tight ends and fullbacks are not being used often is weird. To me, Mike martz was the shit, he had us in the mid teens last year with a running back as our leading receiver before cutler got hurt. :(

5: gut the defense something wicked , trade, pick up, draft. Briggs, peppers, melton, tillman, jennings, mccellon, and idoneje should be the only safe players.

cajunator

Banned
1. Kansas City (2-13)
2. Jacksonville (2-13)
3. Oakland (4-11)
4. Philadelphia (4-11)
5. Detroit (4-11)
6. Buffalo (5-10)
7. Cleveland (5-10)
8. Tennessee (5-10)
9. Arizona (5-10)
10. San Diego (6-9)
11. New York Jets (6-9)
12. Tampa Bay (6-9)
13. Carolina (6-9)
14. Pittsburgh (7-8)
15. Miami (7-8)
16. New Orleans (7-8)
17. St. Louis (7-7-1)
18. Dallas (8-7)
19. New York Giants (8-7)
20. Chicago (9-6)
21. Cincinnati* (9-6)
22. St. Louis - from Washington* (9-6)
23. Minnesota* (9-6)
24. Indianapolis* (10-5)
25. Baltimore* (10-5)
26. Seattle* (10-5)
27. San Francisco* (10-4-1)
28. New England* (11-4)
29. Green Bay* (11-4)
30. Denver* (12-3)
31. Houston* (12-3)
32. Atlanta* (13-2)

I wonder if anyone worthwhile on defense will be available at 16. We need a slam dunk this draft.
Also gonna cut loose a bunch of aging expensive guys Im pretty sure. So Shanle, Vilma, Smith are probably gone. Not sure who else. Devery Henderson might finally lose his spot to a new WR. Its time for some new blood. I think part of our struggles this year was due to age on the Oline and Dline. Actually I know it was.

Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Matt Schaub, my QB, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Kirby Dr with Gary Kubiak and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is! Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?

Awesome movie.

Is it bad for me to kind of want the Bears to shit the bed on Sunday? Get rid of Lovie and bring in Sean Payton as head coach! Of course the Bears would probably grab Todd Haley instead. Be careful what you wish for!

Texans are the Bears of the AFC. If the defense doesn't come through and make some plays they are screwed as the offense can't do it alone.

Sean Payton on the Bears? He was a QB for the Bears. Probably the closest your team will ever get to him. He needs an offensive mindset, and a QB who will actually listen to him and work with him. You need a defensive minded HC.

Yup. Gotta work tonight. I was supposed to be off tonight and work tomorrow, but I swapped since our family does the Christmas Day thing.

My parents house internet. Keep in mind this is on the "lower income" side of town where I grew up.
DAT BAYOU INTERNET.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If Seadderall can stay this hot, they'll win the SB. I think they may be peaking a bit early, but not too early.

We need luck with injuries and mostly a rebuild on defense. We need to replace most of the line, the LBs, and probably Troy.

Contrary to popular Steeler fan belief, this year is a rebuilding year. It's going to continue for another year or two. Outside of Ben, Timmons and Woodley, the entire team is either too old or too young.

The o-line is fine if it stays healthy. I think Starks has played great, but won't be resigned. Foster can't stay healthy, he may be resigned at a discount. Move Beachum inside to left guard and it's Adams, Beachum, Pouncey, DeCastro and Gilbert. All young and getting experience. The obvious spots that need an upgrade or replacement soon: WR, S, LB. The first pick in the 2013 draft for the Steelers should be one of those positions. I'm sure they'll all be addressed during the offseason/draft. Next year, it's Pee Pee for Marqise Lee!

Ænima

Not that it matters at all but the last play in the Eagles game where Foles was called for an illegal forward pass, was the wrong call. On Eagles live today they said that if the QB is hit in the act of throwing then the ball doesnt have to get back to the line of scrimmage. Weird to see the refs miss a call like that.
Yeah right after the play my dad asked me why that is not intentional grounding, and I said they never call it when the QB is being hit as he throws. I was very surprised when they made the call.

Mrbob

I'm done with defensive minded head coaches. That's all the Bears grab. NFL is about offense and scoring points nowadays. A decent defense is just gravy. You need an elite offense to survive.

Anyway, to answer your other question, i would not mind to see the bears rebuild. Seriously.

1: Let everyone ride out there contract, including lovie and cutler.

2: let urlacher go in the mean time.

3: Offense is out. Trade, pick up, draft.... Marshall,forte, bennett, Louis, jeffrey, bush, and Rodriguez are safe.

4: Another offensive coordinator....Somehow, Tice made the offensive play calling worst, even with a 1200 yard receiver. Also, The fact that tight ends and fullbacks are not being used often is weird. To me, Mike martz was the shit, he had us in the mid teens last year with a running back as our leading receiver before cutler got hurt. :(

5: gut the defense something wicked , trade, pick up, draft. Briggs, peppers, melton, tillman, jennings, mccellon, and idoneje should be the only safe players.

I agree, if the Bears can't land a big name head coach Lovie should ride out his last year.

Meathead has to go. This offense is just putrid with him making the calls.

One thing I took from last night is that Kaep has really bad touch on his passes. He throws everything like it's a 100mph fastball. I think that hurts him in the red zone.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
My kids are babies. Usually Super Why and Sesame Street (we try to make it educational). The only channels they watch are PBS and Sprout. You know PBS but sprout is like a channel for babies and toddlers. They especially like Caillou, who is a little bitch. There is also a show for pervs like ez called the goodnight show where they tell kids to go to sleep and teach some Spanish while perv dads like ez horn out on the host and come up with creative explanations for their kids to explain the bulge in their pants.

Mostly it is shit but as Larry said the same was true for the most part when we were kids. Sesame Street is pretty decent though. Teaches you stuff and has a lot of good guest stars.

That bald fuck is still around? I remember watching that with my younger cousins back in elementary school.

Hate that kid.

ari

Banned
Too soon for me to make a joke. Lok

Also, i don't think peyton is coming to the bears at all. But if he does, there is no way i would be upset. I just think it is time for the bears to actually go offense. Just like emery did in KC.

squicken

Mrbob that's the way all teams should go. Hire a defensive minded coach and you are guaranteed to find a guy who loves to kick 4th and 1 FGs from the 5. Not that all coaches don't mostly do this, but defensive coaches are far worse about it. They always think their defense can hold any lead, despite piles of evidence to the contrary

One thing I took from last night is that Kaep has really bad touch on his passes. He throws everything like it's a 100mph fastball. I think that hurts him in the red zone.

uh oh you're talking about velocity control. that talk ain't welcome here

I went back and re-read this absolute gem of an article.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/je...no-i-like-playing-a-physical-style-of-offense
“I like playing a physical style of offense,” Sparano said. “Anybody that knows me knows that I want to be physical. Being physical doesn’t mean you’re going to run the football 55 times a game. Being physical means that you’re going to protect the quarterback… it comes in the attitude of the receivers and how they go about what they’re doing… and it also comes from the quarterback position. I like a physical mentality.”

He reiterated the need to make plays down field, one of the biggest offensive elements that was missing this past season.

“So we’ll be explosive,”
Sparano said. “We’ll be able to get it down the field. We’ll be able to do all those things. I learned a lesson a long time ago about how you win and lose in this league… I believe that you have to have some element to running the football.”

Sparano admitted that he’ll be able to help Mark Sanchez “in a lot of different ways.” Sparano was on the Cowboys’ staff in 2006 when Bill Parcells & Co. transitioned from Drew Bledsoe to Tony Romo. He was also part of the change from Chad Pennington to Chad Henne in Miami.

“We’ll be able to help Mark in a lot of different ways,”
Sparano said. “Once he gets in here, we want to start with some of the basic philosophies and fundamentals at the position and then go from there. The list is long in how a quarterback gets developed and continues to get developed.”

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Who's got the power, the power to read
Who answers the call, with friends in need? SUPER WHYYYYY

Your writeup of the Goodnite Show is spot-on and hilarious

Ultratech

I'm technically on call...so I have to hope nobody disturbs me.

Beats me. Couldn't blame Tebow if he finally got tired of the Jets' shit though.

Maybe the Jags can make better use of him.

squicken

Tim Tebow heel turn?

Intriguing!

The Jets win 6 games. Sanchez is terrible. Rex never could manage an offense. Tannenbaum fucked up the cap. But somehow the backup QB gets all the blame for apparently turning a 16-0 team to home for the playoffs

Mrbob

Mrbob that's the way all teams should go. Hire a defensive minded coach and you are guaranteed to find a guy who loves to kick 4th and 1 FGs from the 5. Not that all coaches don't mostly do this, but defensive coaches are far worse about it. They always think their defense can hold any lead, despite piles of evidence to the contrary

Look at Bellicheat. He has evolved with the times. He might be a defensive guy put he has a great pulse on evolving offense. Came up with the two TE cheese system. Talking with Chip Kelly in the off season on how to make offense flow better. He is as much an offensive guy now as a defensive one.

Top Bottom