• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered - Nov 6 PC/XBO/PS4 Nov 13 Switch

It's not identical, but yeah it's a remaster not a remake.
This is basically for PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X players so we can play in 60fps.
The PC version doesn't need a remaster in the first place anyway so there you go.
Slightly fixed.

EA's finally doing console remasters, and so far, they're doing a better job than Activision/Ubisoft.

Here's to hoping Dead Space, Mass Effect, and Mirror's Edge aren't far off.

Fake

WHAT A GAME CHANGER ! I am truly shocked !

d8de3bbf03ad4a7e3744ff650517f662.gif

Edit:
I was about to say at least the game is the same, it is no less beautiful unlike Spider-Man PS5, and then i saw the rain on the remastered (it is more obvious in the video above)
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Someone telling me that the Switch version will be the best of the bunch.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hot Pursuit was a really good NFS game, but I cannot help but feel that for some reason, EA just avoids remastering Underground 2. Do we actually have an explanation why we havent got one yet? everywhere I look, thats the most beloved one from the entire francise.
It would require a lot more work, like Tony Hawk's.
EA are just releasing the "yeah this still looks good, just increase the Resolution and improve the textures here and there and call it a Remaster"
In my day it was classed as a Port.

zcaa0g

Banned
Fun game but still looks good. While I don't see the point from a gamer perspective, I see the point from a cha-ching perspective.

Nemesisuuu

WHAT A GAME CHANGER ! I am truly shocked !

d8de3bbf03ad4a7e3744ff650517f662.gif

Edit:
I was about to say at least the game is the same, it is no less beautiful unlike Spider-Man PS5, and then i saw the rain on the remastered (it is more obvious in the video above)
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

What is going on with the trees here?

karasu

Oh, lookit its the game that I was stuck playing when I was too broke to get a ps4. It's back! I'm back!

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

RAIDEN1

Seeing all this is tempting me to bring out my old PS3 and play it all again for the first time in years!!

CrysisFreak

Banned
With this kind of thinking, EA will never change. And I think they could have done a better remaster on console too like REAL high res new textures, HDR support, corrected TOD and shadows, better SSAO implementation and more
And I'll add that maybe EA is testing the water for a follow up ? If so and the remaster sells poorly what happens ? I really loved this episode but I wont buy that lazy work.
I mean yeah you're right from a PC perspective.
I was just thinking from PS4 Pro perspective which is "60fps drifting oh yeah EA please fuck me"

“Get cross-platform multiplayer and Autolog, enhanced visuals, all main DLC delivered at launch, and much more. It’s time to reignite the pursuit.”

Also....

“Depending on your specifications, 4K/60 FPS is supported on PC, and players can choose between 4K/30 FPS or 1080p/60 FPS on PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X. Base versions of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will run the game at 1080p/30 FPS. In addition to the listed improvements for the Nintendo Switch version, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC versions are also updated with upressed UI, higher resolution reflections, boosted textures, more particles, and improved AA/SSAO.”
This is what I figured.

Kagero

I actually really like this game. Awesome they made it for the VITA. Put in a lot more hours then I thought I would.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Clicked thread, thought it might be nice to play a NFS game at 144fps.

Then the Remaster looked (almost) worse than the original version.

Then I remembered I'd need to install Origin just to play this.

I'll never buy an EA/Ubi/Epic game on PC so long as they require me to install a new launcher.

Last edited:
NFS Hot Pursuit was easily my favorite NFS game on PS3. I don't remember the PS3 version having online multi-player tho. If this version has online I'll buy it.

CrysisFreak

Banned
NFS Hot Pursuit was easily my favorite NFS game on PS3. I don't remember the PS3 version having online multi-player tho. If this version has online I'll buy it.
It had multiplayer. And an online pass. Remember those?
This has online, it's cross-play, has all DLC and probably no online pass :D

Boxster17

I had a blast with this back in the day, so I'll probably pick it up and try to convince a few other friends to as well.

Thought the trailer was cheesy, but in a good way. I enjoyed it haha

What is going on with the trees here?

What do you mean? Or are you referring to the redwoods?

sn0man

Underground 2 would probably need a full remake. It's from what, 2003?

This is one of those "PC version ported to the newer consoles" jobs that is a lot quicker and easier.
I was about o post this as well..... I was like 'WTF IS THIS?!?" Literally identical...
Will the game support over 60FPS? Like 120FPS?

so... if you have no PC whatsoever then maybe this is a decent upgrade for a console player or if like me you consider collecting physical copies of console games that include all the DLC. (Subject to seeing if EA can get a relatively bug-free initial release.)

For PC players this is a cash grab, notwithstanding a potential HDR and high frame rate set of enhancements.

Last edited:
I like this game but I cant tell which version is supposed to be which by that video, with the exception of the aliasing in the distance.

Nemesisuuu

I had a blast with this back in the day, so I'll probably pick it up and try to convince a few other friends to as well.

Thought the trailer was cheesy, but in a good way. I enjoyed it haha

What do you mean? Or are you referring to the redwoods?
Just look at the trees in the remaster, they look awful, for example in last pictures, or in that video.

Edit: like they are not fully loaded or something.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Not my favorite Hot Pursuit. I could say "still, i'll get it at some point" but I would be lying. Need For Speed III:Hot Pursuit Remastered(better yet, remake) is what I want.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Thats true, but it still has to be more of a safer thing to do than all these new ones right ? I imagine the community would overwhelmingly choose Underground 2 remake instead of Payback, Heat or The Run... Its just weird they havent done it yet.

Honestly, you make a good point, like Underground 2020 as a new mainline game. I almost feel like Underground though is a product of its time, with the tuner F&F shit (as opposed to the muh familia let's drive through a bunch of skyscrapers on a 65 mile long airport runaway F&F we have today).

so... if you have no PC whatsoever then maybe this is a decent upgrade for a console player or if like me you consider collecting physical copies of console games that include all the DLC. (Subject to seeing if EA can get a relatively bug-free initial release.)

For PC players this is a cash grab, notwithstanding a potential HDR and high frame rate set of enhancements.

The game is awesome, one of the best racers that gen IMO, but yea, it's super frustrating that they're doing this cash grab on PC.

They did it for Burnout Paradise too, bundling in the DLC that never made its way to the original PC release.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Aren't the days of bodykits, big wings and full body decals and underbody neons mostly over? That kind of tuning/styling was all the rage when the original The Fast and the Furious came out, but, at least around here, no one cares about that stuff anymore, and that was a super central element to the NFS:U games. Modern audiences don't care about Veilside kits and Bomex spoilers. That's probably why they aren't doing remakes of those games for now.

Last edited:
I loved the original and exactly what the vommercial depicts. Getting a great time and then wondering how your mate beat it and challenging yourself to figure out how to improve and beat them back.

That being said it looks lazy so I'll grab it for 20 on black friday. I'm almost positive it will be 20 even that soon.

It did have some absolutely fantastic engine sounds.

The only hot pursuit game the did not need the remaster ROFL

Looks not much different than default Series X enhancements for backwards compatible games lol

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Aren't the days of bodykits, big wings and full body decals and underbody neons mostly over? That kind of tuning/styling was all the rage when the original The Fast and the Furious came out, but, at least around here, no one cares about that stuff anymore, and that was a super central element to the NFS:U games. Modern audiences don't care about Veilside kits and Bomex spoilers. That's probably why they aren't doing remakes of those games for now.
Unfortunately it is over not because everybody has grown out of it, but because AFAaik of all the licensing issue we have currently. Costs a lot of money and a lot of trouble or special agreements etc.
A lot of carmakers do not want have their cars customized like in underground or have it used for illegal racing. (Honda, BMW, Ferrari etc. All of them had their own special rules)
Therefore it is not so easy anymore to make games like in the past (like Shutoku Highway Racer etc.)

If you look back 10-15 years, we had so many racing games with customizations and now the only games we have is The Crew, NFS and Forza

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Probably the last decent NFS to come out. I may check it out.

freefornow

Hope they improve the color palette. Car looks OK but the environment reminds me of early 360 days. GreyBrown!

Seriously, could they show a more boring section of gameplay here.

Last edited:
I was really hyped when I first heard the announcement as I absolutely loved the original and wanted to jump back in for the online experience. But looking at the actual gameplay, this is such a poor job to try and justify as a "remaster". Barely anything has changed.

Maybe if it was $20, the little work put into it could possibly be justified but a $40 price tag on PS4 for what essentially seems to be a slight resolution/FPS bump for a 10 year old game is ridiculous.

Fbh

Pretty crappy remaster. The game itself is great though, probably the last NSF I truly enjoyed.

Great trailer lol. My fondest memory from this game is actually competing with a coworker over this particular track we got fixated on back when I worked retail. We rarely had a shift together but I'd get to work in that particular location every couple of days and went straight to the ps3 to find out he had beaten me by like 0.2 seconds.

sn0man

Honestly, you make a good point, like Underground 2020 as a new mainline game. I almost feel like Underground though is a product of its time, with the tuner F&F shit (as opposed to the muh familia let's drive through a bunch of skyscrapers on a 65 mile long airport runaway F&F we have today).

The game is awesome, one of the best racers that gen IMO, but yea, it's super frustrating that they're doing this cash grab on PC.

They did it for Burnout Paradise too, bundling in the DLC that never made its way to the original PC release.
All of the save bugs on PS4 has me hoping for another release of paradise remastered on PS5. I didn’t pick it up because it what’s a chance to erase save data. I still sometimes consider picking up the switch port.

Kuranghi

I still play the normal version on pc at 8k down sampled to 4k@60fps, I absolutely love it.

I loved it back then too mate, had a hankering again in 2018 but couldn't get it running smoothly so left it since I figured this might happen. I really loved the silly voice over woman telling you about the cars, I really like the style of the game. The forced "new car" cutscenes were exciting to me when reviewer said it was the worst thing about the game, I'm just a freak I guess.

"The odds of owning a Reventon is 1:800,000,000"

Fantastic haha. I didn't beat it fully so will be great to go back to it, I think I bailed on perfecting the race where you had to do a really long circuit but in rally mode or whatever its called where you can't touch the barriers or you get a penalty. The course contained the "spiral" part of the map and I just couldn't get the "gold" time because if I was cautious I was late and if I was brash I crashed haha, c'est la vie!

Zuzu

It's very disappointing that the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro aren't getting 60fps at higher resolutions (only at 1080p). The One X could run this at 60 at 4k just like it does with the Burnout Paradise remaster, but it's only getting 30fps at 4k. That's rubbish.

Agent X

EA's finally doing console remasters, and so far, they're doing a better job than Activision/Ubisoft.

Is there a different Activision from the one that does the Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games? If not, then no, they're not even close to outdoing Activision on this stuff.

Their "remaster" of Burnout Paradise released in 2018 had very few noteworthy improvements, and actually lost a few features in the process. The PS3 version is still the most content complete and feature complete version of the game in existence. Stellar Entertainment's work is still appreciated, especially on PS4 an Switch as there would otherwise be no way of playing Burnout Paradise on those systems, but it's really more like a standard cross-generation port than a substantial remaster.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
This is just absolutely pathetic - "remaster" and price. This pos of a GFX mod should be free upgrade for all existing owners of the original game, at least on PC.

Original game still looks good on PC in 5K all maxed. Fuck off EA!

Last edited:
Top Bottom