• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N'Gai Croal - Internet Superstar

Kittonwy said:
There's nothing wrong with drinking, it made me a better Resistance player.
Indifferent2.gif

Sober Kittonwy: *gets shot and killed*
Indifferent2.gif

Inebriated Kittonwy: *tag-whores for multiple kill streaks*
FUCK U U FUCK DIE U FUCK FUCK U U FUCKING FUCK
U WANT SOME U WANT SOME HERE U WANT SOME TOO DIE U FUCK
angry.gif

100% true story.
Indifferent2.gif

It's true, and I'm a witness.

FirstInHell said:
When Shawn Elliot talks about narrative and game design, I listen. When N'Gai gets rolling, I zone out. It is all in the delivery.

I actually agree with you about Shawn, here. He discusses "Game Theory" better than anyone. With N'Gai, it all seems to come back to the "art" angle, which just makes me think that he's kind of missing the point.

lockii said:
Uhh, do you mean Shane?

No. God, no. Shane is the worst one. He has never brought anything remotely interesting to the table other than an encyclopedic knowledge of games. He loves to talk, but he never has anything interesting to say.

Mojovonio

Banned
I want him to make meditation CDs to help me sleep. N'Gai is probably the type of person that is very hard to get mad.

When he speaks, I enter a state of deep relaxation.

Then Shane comes on, and I snap out of it all quick like.

Shane gets too excited too easily.

Then N'Gai is just like, "chill dude."

stewacide

...IMHO the problem with all the attempts at 'high brow' philosophizing about gaming (at least on 1up Yours and similar) is that they hang their arguments off the mainstream mass-market games they're playing. Moreover they're instinctively opposed to anything outside their comfort zone. It's hard to have a meaningful argument, either about the state of mainstream gaming or how it could change, when they have no perspective.

For example, on the last 1up Yours I think it was very telling how they reacted to the (now removed) 'death' system in Fable: the lack of persistent consequences in gaming *IS* something worth pondering. Additionally the out-of-hand dismissal of Endless Ocean by the 'regulars', and their clear non-interest when someone tried to explain the 'experience' to them, again shows their close-mindedness.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
FirstInHell said:
This is exactly what I expected to happen. I knew the majority of GAF would only focus on the vocabulary criticisms and call into question my intelligence level. I hope he becomes a permanent member of the 1UP show since you guys love hearing him pontificate about high level game design theory. Myself on the other hand will pass.

N'Gai offers a different perspective is what I like about him. I wish he would join 1up yours or make his own podcast, I would love to hear him debate with other game writers/journalists.

dammitmattt said:
Because Garnett is a nice, accessible guy, so he unknowingly sets himself up for it. Like a Sessler or Keighley (two other guys that I do like), N'Gai is much more aloof and hard to get ahold of, so he's got an air of being "untouchable." People that show they are human to the message board masses just get the shit torn out of them, unfortunately.

How's he hard to get ahold of? He's got a blog with a comments section.

I used to hate on Garnett as much as anybody, but it's obvious he really, really loves games, and he loves his job, so that makes him 1000% better than most of the twits in his business who spend most of their time trying to act cool and like they can't be bothered.

Pristine_Condition said:
How's he hard to get ahold of? He's got a blog with a comments section.

N'Gai doesn't really post here. N'Gai doesn't really play games with us. N'Gai doesn't really give a shit what we think.

keanerie

Ever stop and think that the only reason N'Gai is in the position he's in and able to say a lot of the things he says is because he's on the payroll of a major magazine? He's outside of that symbiotic advert-editorial relationship, since hey, a game publisher isn't going to push around Newsweek.

I'm not saying he's not eloquent, but he's certainly in more of a position to be so than anyone else.

Mojovonio

Banned
stewacide said:
...IMHO the problem with all the attempts at 'high brow' philosophizing about gaming (at least on 1up Yours and similar) is that they hang their arguments off the mainstream mass-market games they're playing. Moreover they're instinctively opposed to anything outside their comfort zone. It's hard to have a meaningful argument, either about the state of mainstream gaming or how it could change, when they have no perspective.

For example, on the last 1up Yours I think it was very telling how they reacted to the (now removed) 'death' system in Fable: the lack of persistent consequences in gaming *IS* something worth pondering. Additionally the out-of-hand dismissal of Endless Ocean by the 'regulars', and their clear non-interest when someone tried to explain the 'experience' to them, again shows their close-mindedness.

I agree completely.

The death consequence in Fable 2 sounded amazing. And the way Totillo (sp wut?) described Endless Ocean made it sound like a great experience.

But I think most of them have this AAA only attitude, hence why we keep hearing about the same games over and over and over again.

Jtrizzy

jacobs34 said:
This is an open forum and you decided to create a thread siting your disapproval for someone. There's a place for this, it's called your journal, not a thread for a message board. Next time try writing a post about what kind of coverage you want to see out of game "jounalist". You may get a better response, but I doubt it.

I wish more people would use Firefox, it has a built in spell checker.

neojubei said:
N'Gai offers a different perspective is what I like about him. I wish he would join 1up yours or make his own podcast, I would love to hear him debate with other game writers/journalists.

I would subscribe to an N'Gai/Totillo/Pachter podcast without hesitation.

FirstInHell said:
I do not consider myself stupid, but his use of obscure vocabulary that completely disregards his reader demographic is insulting. I do not doubt that N'Gai knows this.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? How can anybody fault someone else for using words that are too big and expect to be taken seriously?

How is it insulting to the reader if he thinks they are intelligent enough to understand and care about his ideas? It would be insulting to everyone else if he pandered to idiots like you.

jacobs34

I love it when people talk about how there needs to be a Lester Bangs of gaming journalism, but when someone starts talking about "art" in video games, he gets called out. The reason why we don't see more abstract writing as it pertains to video games is because, for the most part, people don't want it. They want enthusiast press, which is fine, but it isn't going to push the writing forward.

keanerie

dammitmattt said:
I actually agree with you about Shawn, here. He discusses "Game Theory" better than anyone. With N'Gai, it all seems to come back to the "art" angle, which just makes me think that he's kind of missing the point..

Yeah, that hits the nail on the head for me. Shawn can talk about games insightfully and still sound like he's talking about games. When N'Gai starts pontificating it gets to the point where the discussion just seems disconnecting from what's really at the heart of games, you know, their game-iness.

FirstInHell said:
If I had made this thread about Garnett or Jeff Gerstmann instead of N'Gai, I think the replies would look a lot different.

That's cause Garnett and Gerstmann are nerds like us. N'Gai is like the cool kid who wandered over to the outcast's cafeteria table and was like "hey I understand you guys let's chill" and we're all "speak to us! speak for us!"

Crushed

Fry Daddy
FirstInHell said:
If I had made this thread about Garnett or Jeff Gerstmann instead of N'Gai, I think the replies would look a lot different.
Well yes, I think if you had taken a different action and expressed a different opinion, then the responses would likewise be different as well!

dammitmattt said:
N'Gai doesn't really post here. N'Gai doesn't really play games with us. N'Gai doesn't really give a shit what we think.

He lurks on GAF. Obviously, he gave a shout-out to Kittonwy last week.

So you are upset that Croal hasn't put you on his friends list or something? :lol

...this is starting to sound pathetic, GAF.

While i dont dislike the man, or even think a thread dedicated to flaming him is necessary, i agree with a lot of what the OP says.

Now the extent of my knowledge of the man is confined to his podcast appearances, though I have read his blog once or twice. And yes, I agree with the word "pretentious." He also makes terrible analogies. Im sort of surprised, the man has been built up as some sort of sage, and his use of big words and long winded statements help support this personification. However, when you actually pay attention to what he is saying, he doesnt come off as any more intelligent or insightful than any other video game journalist. He makes good points, but he also makes bad points, and not to a greater or lesser extent than any of his peers on those podcasts.

Also, he makes bad analogies.

Not saying the man is bad or contemptible, he just isn't the sage I was led to believe he was. He really is just another game journalist

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dammitmattt said:
I actually agree with you about Shawn, here. He discusses "Game Theory" better than anyone. With N'Gai, it all seems to come back to the "art" angle, which just makes me think that he's kind of missing the point.

Yep, no one beats Shawn for the mainstream discussion of those issues. If I want to get the pure theoretical discussion, I'll turn to someone like Juul and his band of cronies (who seem to never get mentioned even in the purportedly high-level discussions). Shawn does a good job of discussing how these theories apply to reality, so it's easy to relate to his discussions.

To me N'Gai doesn't seem to really fall well into either niche. I'm not sure if it's because he's accomodating his audience or if he just doesn't have the background knowledge to sustain the more advanced analysis. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's the former, though it's worth noting that he's quite honest and open about his relative lack of historical exposure to and experience with video games. That does seem to stand out to me at times. Not "hate," just observation.

stewacide

dammitmattt said:

I'd love for someone(s) to do a vg podcast that didn't just focus on 'AAA' games. Sort of a non-retro-Retronaughts, where they can really sink their teeth into the games we aren't hearing about ad nauseum everywhere else.

neojubei

FirstInHell said:

Why would it be different? I like Garnett and Gerstmann as much as N'Gai. You are trying to pigeonhole N'Gai as some intellectual bore that uses big words to come off as arrogant and condescending.

If you called Garnett and Gerstmann overrated blowhards that like to sensationalize their comments to gain mindshare, then you will receive the same level of response as this thread.

Jtrizzy

dammitmattt said:

I really liked the 4 part Bonus Round: Year in Review with N'Gai, Pachter, and Shane Satterfield. I thought it was really funny as well as interesting.

Suburban Cowboy said:
While i dont dislike the man, or even think a thread dedicated to flaming him is necessary, i agree with a lot of what the OP says.

Now the extent of my knowledge of the man is confined to his podcast appearances, though I have read his blog once or twice. And yes, I agree with the word "pretentious." He also makes terrible analogies. Im sort of surprised, the man has been built up as some sort of sage, and his use of big words and long winded statements help support this personification. However, when you actually pay attention to what he is saying, he doesnt come off as any more intelligent or insightful than any other video game journalist. He makes good points, but he also makes bad points, and not to a greater or lesser extent than any of his peers on those podcasts.

Not saying the man is bad or contemptible, he just isn't the sage I was led to believe he was. He really is just another game journalist

I suppose I did not express it as well as you did, but that was my point all along. The N'Gai Defense Force was quick to fixate in on one point in my post as well as make accusations about how I was attacking his character.

medrew

He needs to learn to not make funny, uncomfortable, Darth Vader like noises when he has a mic near him. Other than that I couldn't really care about him as I can always ignore him in general by my own inclination.

Although I do see where the OP is coming from in terms of his at times philosophical discourse that can be seen as condescending. But if he has an audience and if people like that sort of discussion then I am not really one to argue about it and won't get involved with it (I just don't care that much about theoretical discussion in games and will go for my critical theory somewhere else that is adaptable to my interests).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
N'Gai is totally the "maybe I'm drunk, but..." guy on 1up yours.
So annoying.

I AM JOHN! said:
That's essentially what the crux of this thread is: "HOW DARE SOMEONE WHO WRITES ABOUT VIDEO GAMES TRY AND TREAT ME LIKE I'M AN EDUCATED PERSON! NO ONE SHOULD EVER ASPIRE TO BE ABOVE THE MATURITY LEVEL OF GAMEPRO!!!"

At least it ain't another Jaffe-baiting reverse cult of personality trainwreck.

AstroLad said:
To me N'Gai doesn't seem to really fall well into either niche. I'm not sure if it's because he's accomodating his audience or if he just doesn't have the background knowledge to sustain the more advanced analysis. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say it's the former, though it's worth noting that he's quite honest and open about his relative lack of historical exposure to and experience with video games. That does seem to stand out to me at times.

I think that's part of what makes his writing interesting. He obviously doesn't see something from a long-term hardcore gamer perspective. He seems like more of a student of film and lit, but unlike most people who come from that background, he doesn't see gaming as the retarded step-brother of film and lit, he actually likes gaming, and sees it's promise for the future.

I've got plenty of choices when it comes to getting the perspective of long-term, hardcore gamers who feel compelled to demonstrate their encyclopedic knowledge of gaming at every turn. A different perspective is appreciated too. For me, Croal represents a unique voice, and thats fresh to me.

Pristine_Condition said:
He lurks on GAF. Obviously, he gave a shout-out to Kittonwy last week.

So you are upset that Croal hasn't put you on his friends list or something? :lol

...this is starting to sound pathetic, GAF.

You completely misunderstood my point. N'Gai is with that group that is above "slumming it with the guys." And it's probably for the best because he's so well-known and mainstream. But he's still not one of the guys like Garnett, Luke, Shawn, etc. who really put themselves out there.

And seriously, who doesn't lurk at GAF these days.

voltron

I really do think its a case of his popularity skewing your opinion of him. You cant blame him for the fact that hes popular.

Think about it: If there wasnt such(I agree -too much) enthusiasm for him would you really feel compelled to make a thread about the guy?

FirstInHell said:
When Shawn Elliot talks about narrative and game design, I listen. When N'Gai gets rolling, I zone out. It is all in the delivery.
i'm the exact opposite, when shawn elliot starts up on narrative, i start to think "ok, you don't like cutscenes, hurry up and shut the fuck up", while when n'gai does it, it makes me think.

Mar

Wow, this thread is kind of creepy. I can understand someone commenting on a personality in a thread about an article they've written. But to make a thread to say you don't like someone? It strikes me as stalker like.. Why do you care so much? He's just a guy, a human being. There are millions in the world. Are you going to write a thread about all of them?

neojubei

Suburban Cowboy said:

With that said, no one, or least of all me is saying he is better than Garnett or Gertsmann. N'Gai just offers a different perspective in video game media. However look which of them gets the "hate" thread on neogaf.

Mar_ said:
Wow, this thread is kind of creepy. I can understand someone commenting on a personality in a thread about an article they've written. But to make a thread to say you don't like someone? It strikes me as stalker like.. Why do you care so much? He's just a guy, a human being. There are millions in the world. Are you going to write a thread about all of them?

Maybe because people like a respect N'Gai and the OP hates that and thinks no one should like him since he isn't any better than any other game journalist.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Crushed said:
That's Garnett.

Garnett is just always drunk.

Saying maybe I'm drunk implies that you are, in fact, sometimes sober.

tetsuoxb

FirstInHell said:
This is exactly what I expected to happen. I knew the majority of GAF would only focus on the vocabulary criticisms and call into question my intelligence level. I hope he becomes a permanent member of the 1UP show since you guys love hearing him pontificate about high level game design theory. Myself on the other hand will pass.

Well, its not like you left anyone any other choice.

Let's start with your title - Dripping with angsty sarcasm.

Now your points:

His guest appearances on 1up Yours are probably the most boring thing that I have ever been subjected to. He constantly cuts off the other members of the podcast and dives into long winded lectures expounding his theories about such riveting topics like "art in games", "narrative" and "components of good game design". There is nothing wrong with these topics. However N'Gai speaks on them as if he is some visionary from high above instilling this great knowledge to all who listen. The things he talks about:

-Have been discussed ad nausem
-His viewpoints are not "new" in anyway. He is just reiterating what everyone already knows in a much more boring fashion

I don't think they have been discussed ad nauseum or that his viewpoints are old. The rest of 1UP Yours never attempts a cross-disciplinary approach to these issues. N'Gai's mainstream media background, as well as his previous stints as a music critic, cause him to want to frame issues in the context of existing, established media. This causes some of the arguments on 1UP Yours, but his approach is valid.

In essence, he is trying to port over the vernacular of music/film criticism to game industry issues. He isn't always right, but it is almost always interesting.

Reading this guy's blog is an exercise in pretension. I do not consider myself stupid, but his use of obscure vocabulary that completely disregards his reader demographic is insulting. I do not doubt that N'Gai knows this. Does the average person reading about videogames know what the words "epistolary" and "curmudgeon" mean? You can find obscure words like this littered in his blog posts and sprinkled in his incredibly boring guest appearances on 1up yours. A short while ago I was sent to a practical writing class. They went into the theory that there is a sweet spot to the grade level of your writing, once you go above this you come across as arrogant and condescending. Ask yourself why Readers Digest has been around for so long. I am not saying that everyone should post at a 3rd grade reading level littered with "luz", but it seems like he is trying really hard to use complex words to appear intelligent. To me it is smug and I see right through it.

Look at some headlines from his opinion pieces. They read like some boring college thesis that puts half of the auditorium to sleep.

N'Gai ultimately reports to the Newsweek editorial board. They expect a much higher level of writing than, say, 1UP. Not a slight on 1UP, but the audiences are different. You touch on this with respect to your Practical Writing class, but you make the rather obvious mistake of not recognizing there are different audiences even within the games category. Reader's Digest has been around for a very long time, but to call it even remotely literary is silly. Mass market enthusiast publications versus mainstream media (and Newsweek, while no Economist, is also not the Reader's Digest of news- USA Today) are written to different audiences. I don't see why you need to slight him for aiming higher.

Also, a point of order. Saying you learned about something in class, then turning around and calling someone pretentious, is bad form.

Pretentious is defined as "making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction". You are making claim via your educational background, and using that claim to bad mouth someone else.

Why do people treat him like some industry celebrity? Listen to this guy for five minutes and you will realize that his ego does not need to be fed anymore. Let's put this into perspective: He writes about videogames for Newsweek. Does the average Newsweek reader give a fuck about videogames? I have much more respect for people that write for EGM or other enthusiast publications. They understand their audience and do not treat them like a bunch of idiots who need to be lectured to (most of the time). The only reason why anyone in the industry pay any attention to this moron is because they hope to get some sort of mainstream exposure that Newsweek can provide. You could have an inanimate object blogging about games for Newsweek and I am sure game companies would still be banging down their door to take them out to dinner.

And it is here where you fundamentally miss the point. N'Gai isn't engaged in lecturing at all. He is trying to raise questions more than answer them. In many cases, being on the development side of things, I think that his background can be both a blessing and a curse when he proposes ideas, but they have never once come off as preachy or boring. At least to me.

The final thing I want to bring to your attention -

Does the average Newsweek reader give a fuck about videogames? I have much more respect for people that write for EGM or other enthusiast publications. They understand their audience and do not treat them like a bunch of idiots who need to be lectured to (most of the time).

You shouldn't be asking whether Newsweek readers care about games, you should be happy that Newsweek editors care about covering games. Games still exist in the critical ghetto. Enthusiast magazines assign reviews, which we assume to be objective, partially because we treat them as a) reviews of products instead of productions, and b) because there is no established critical background/vernacular for game review. As more mainstream publications become involved, their editorial boards will demand this sort of vernacular be developed and cauterized. This is a good thing. Gaming pubs are more like Consumer Reports than Ebert and the Sun-Times. I applaud N'Gai for recognizing this and trying to change it.

Jtrizzy said:
I really liked the 4 part Bonus Round: Year in Review with N'Gai, Pachter, and Shane Satterfield. I thought it was really funny as well as interesting.

Definitely. And Satterfield was even good on TV, which is damn near impossible for those of us not named Keighley.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Mar_ said:
You've never seen a thread about me!

Seriously, GAF scares me sometimes.

Better another N'Gai Croal than another GameSpot or SpikeTV Video Game Awards is the way I look at it. Overally ornate or ostentatious, or not, at least he's moving forward the evolution of gaming journalism. Only way it's going to occur is through folks that take their work seriously.

Unless of course you'd be more happy with more 'CNet reviews brought to you by Eidos', 'Jade Raymond has boobs (oh, and some AC news)', and 'Most Addictive Game, Fueled by Dew'. If not, then save the bitching; no one cares if you don't like him or not, but if you're going to blog about it on gaf then you need to be open to dialouge on it.

I am no fan of N'gai, but at least he does not fill his blog with press releases' masquerading as news like most supposedly important industry types do. He is a pretentious little git though.

jacobs34

You shouldn't be asking whether Newsweek readers care about games, you should be happy that Newsweek editors care about covering games. Games still exist in the critical ghetto. Enthusiast magazines assign reviews, which we assume to be objective, partially because we treat them as a) reviews of products instead of productions, and b) because there is no established critical background/vernacular for game review. As more mainstream publications become involved, their editorial boards will demand this sort of vernacular be developed and cauterized. This is a good thing. Gaming pubs are more like Consumer Reports than Ebert and the Sun-Times. I applaud N'Gai for recognizing this and trying to change it.

Ding Ding Ding... we have a winner.

Sally, show this man his prize!

The Faceless Master said:
i'm the exact opposite, when shawn elliot starts up on narrative, i start to think "ok, you don't like cutscenes, hurry up and shut the fuck up", while when n'gai does it, it makes me think.

God, it's so boring to listen to someone discuss how games should use the fact that they're games to push narrative forward in new and creative ways.

I historically am a fan of good cutscenes and I was initially resistant to Shawn's "crusade," but damn if he didn't win me over with his extremely solid and well thought out arguments.

Jtrizzy

FirstInHell said:
I suppose I did not express it as well as you did, but that was my point all along. The N'Gai Defense Force was quick to fixate in on one point in my post as well as make accusations about how I was attacking his character.

I think you are having a bit of a mini meltdown here. Why does everything have involve some kind of defense force? The OP seems to be saying that he's a long winded, conceited hack. How is that not attacking him? If anything you are just a part of the N'Gai attack force. I agree that his blog is a bit wordy, but you seem to have some sort of irrational dislike for the guy.

dammitmattt said:
God, it's so boring to listen to someone discuss how games should use the fact that they're games to push narrative forward in new and creative ways.

I historically am a fan of good cutscenes and I was initially resistant to Shawn's "crusade," but damn if he didn't win me over with his extremely solid and well thought out arguments.
i was initially intrigued by it, but week in and week out, all he does is continually drone on about how disconnected he feels when a cutscene happens, and it got old really quick.

Flakster99

For better or worse, you know you've made it pretty big when threads like this are created. Fyi, N'Gai Croal is good people.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pristine_Condition said:
I think that's part of what makes his writing interesting. He obviously doesn't see something from a long-term hardcore gamer perspective. He seems like more of a student of film and lit, but unlike most people who come from that background, he doesn't see gaming as the retarded step-brother of film and lit, he actually likes gaming, and sees it's promise for the future.

I've got plenty of choices when it comes to getting the perspective of long-term, hardcore gamers who feel compelled to demonstrate their encyclopedic knowledge of gaming at every turn. A different perspective is appreciated too. For me, Croal represents a unique voice, and thats fresh to me.

I understand the appeal of a novel mainstream voice, but to me Juul and others do the theoretical/analytical perspective better. Have you read Half Real? I suppose the problem is that Juul will never be mainstream so maybe that's N'Gai's niche--bringing a bit of a watered-down version of that discourse to the mainstream.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I'm bothered by this thread because N'Gai is such a genuinely nice guy, it sucks to see someone attack him when he's done nothing but mind his own business

Bad things happen to good people, I guess, but N'gai doesn't deserve this

Jtrizzy

dammitmattt said:
Definitely. And Satterfield was even good on TV, which is damn near impossible for those of us not named Keighley.

For me, that was easily the most interesting podcast/videocast industry discussion I've seen. I'd like to see that every week if I could.

Top Bottom