• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 16 EASHL Beta |OT| Where No Progression Is Better Than Nothing

ref

Man, I honestly feel like I'm taking crazy pills when anyone says there isn't any (input) lag. Maybe this is the way online play has always been and people have become accustomed to it?

I just played three more games 2v2 today on Team GAF, and we won all three, but I had to shoot the puck a second+ sooner than normal just to try to get the timing right.

It's weird because the lag doesn't seem to be based on anyone's connection. I have a 50mb+ connection, play any other online PS4 game without lag, no problem.

But with NHL 16, I'll see an AI defenseman get the puck, I'll press pass, he'll pass it, and then the moment I receive the puck my player will pass it forward because the game didn't receive my L2 input until after the pass was actually made.

It's incredibly frustrating because it's great fun playing with and against human opponents otherwise. I like that they've made it easier to intercept passes.

I just don't know what to do when it comes to the input lag. Do you guys really not experience it? Do you think it's something based on my location (western Canada)? Should I try resetting my router? I'll do anything to fix the lag, which I swear is there!

tumblr_mmiffwBXNM1s6tyi0o1_400.gif

I'm in Winnipeg, there is absolutely some input lag. I mean, it's incredibly obvious to me, just going from a single player game to online.

I *think* everyone has it... I hope.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The fuck is going on with this garbage EA bullshit tonight. Every single game is crashing.

Marvie_3

Banned
Failed to retrieve data failed to retrieve data failed to retrieve data failed to retrieve data failed to retrieve data

Razorskin

----- ------
I was stuck on the presentation graphics with the NHL on NBC song playing on loop. I get enough of that at my job fuck.

edit: and again...

Oh, I should also mention that 2 of the 3 games I played today had the other team leave while they were losing. Neither game counted as a win for us.

The only reason the third team didn't quit is because it was scoreless until we scored with 3.4 seconds left.

The input lag makes this pretty much unplayable in my books. If it's always been this bad, I can't believe fans haven't made a bigger uproar about it. It's absolutely brutal.

How does it look during gameplay compared to NHL 15? That's pretty much the only reason I was interested in trying the beta. 1080p possibly, or are players still blurry?

Ardenyal

The input lag makes this pretty much unplayable in my books. If it's always been this bad, I can't believe fans haven't made a bigger uproar about it. It's absolutely brutal.

Only time i have had input lag (about a second, unplayable) was when we had the matchmaking region setting set to relaxed. We would constantly get matched with US east players and we are from EU..

Using the exact setting fixed that.

ref

Only time i have had input lag (about a second, unplayable) was when we had the matchmaking region setting set to relaxed. We would constantly get matched with US east players and we are from EU..

Using the exact setting fixed that.

1 second seems about what I've been having, it's not unplayable but it's pretty damn hard to compensate.

Just a general question to everyone, is the online play feel as responsive as a single player game to you?

IMACOMPUTA

1 second seems about what I've been having, it's not unplayable but it's pretty damn hard to compensate.

Just a general question to everyone, is the online play feel as responsive as a single player game to you?

No. And it wasn't in NHL 15 OTP either. It wasn't in NBA 2k15 all star team up either.

This is the nature of online 6v6/5v5 without dedicated servers. It's just how it is, and I too can't believe it's considered acceptable.

Anyone saying they don't have input lag in this either doesn't know what they're talking about or is lying. Its night and day between this and offline modes.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'll be on PS4 today, anytime really. Whenever I wanna take a break from working.

No GM Connected makes me sad

iLLmAtlc

I've played a ton of eashl games on ps3 and I think this input lag you guys speak of has always been there. Everybody just gets used to it I think.

I played a few games today by setting up my own team and made sure the region was strictly set to my own (NA West), and it made a big difference.

GAF's region is set to NA East I think. I know the game doesn't use dedicated servers, but the different regions are basically the difference between having a fairly good online experience and having a completely unplayable one.

Hopefully we'll have enough people in the West on GAF that we can make up a good team when the game launches.

Now onto a new temporary problem: playing with randoms on your team who coast at the red line while you and your defensemen are under siege. Two straight periods without a single breakaway, and they still try it. Really hope we can get a team going that understands the positions.

It's pretty ridiculous trying to get even one game in on this. There's a ton of public clubs but no way to tell if any of them are active. Then when you do find one with people playing, they're already in game and you can't take over a CPU role. I know it's a beta but isn't drop in a feature for the full game? I only own NHL 94, 09, 12 and 15 and have limited experience online(HUT).

ref

I played a few games today by setting up my own team and made sure the region was strictly set to my own (NA West), and it made a big difference.

GAF's region is set to NA East I think. I know the game doesn't use dedicated servers, but the different regions are basically the difference between having a fairly good online experience and having a completely unplayable one.

Hopefully we'll have enough people in the West on GAF that we can make up a good team when the game launches.

Now onto a new temporary problem: playing with randoms on your team who coast at the red line while you and your defensemen are under siege. Two straight periods without a single breakaway, and they still try it. Really hope we can get a team going that understands the positions.

I'm NA West as well, if it made a difference for you I need to give it a shot.

If you made a club, let me know the name, I'd love to get in on some more games with less input lag.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm NA West as well, my internet sucks and I was fine playing NA East on Friday, just another datapoint. Are you guys using wifi or ethernet?

Start up EASHL. Go to club. No one's online.

Go to settings, select leave club, go to search. Change search settings to 41-50 members, open to public. Search. Select first club that isn't full. Members in dressing room: 0.

Go to settings, select leave club, go to search. Change search settings to 41-50 members, open to public. Search. Select second club that isn't full. Members in dressing room: 0.

Go to settings, select leave club, go to search. Change search settings to 41-50 members, open to public. Search. Select third club that isn't full. Members in dressing room: 0.

Go to settings, select leave club, go to search. Change search settings to 41-50 members, open to public. Search. Select fourth club that isn't full. Members in dressing room: 3. Go to dressing room. See that a game is in progress and there are 3 people waiting. Message in the chat box asking if anyone wants to start a new game. Wait for a minute. No response.

Go to settings, select leave club, go to search. Change search settings to 41-50 members, open to public. Search. Select fifth club that isn't full. Members in dressing room: 0.

Go to settings, select leave club, go to search. Change search settings to 41-50 members, open to public. Search. Select sixth club that isn't full. Members in dressing room: 5. Go to dressing room. See that a game is in progress and there are 5 people waiting. Message in the chat box asking if anyone wants to start a new game. All of them say yes. Tell them the abbreviation of the club you're about to create and leave.

Go to settings, select leave club, go to create new club. Create it. Go to dressing room, pick a position. Wait. Soon one person arrives. They tell you to start the game. You want to wait for the other four. After a minute, another person arrives. After three minutes, no one else. Both players want to be wingers. Snipers. Start the game.

Game begins. One player constantly takes tripping penalties because of R1 spamming. The other player is cherry picking for a breakaway pass... while you're trying to kill the penalty.

After the sixth goal, quit. Do the entire above process again. It'll only take you fifteen - twenty minutes.

*fifteen - twenty minutes later*

You're in a game again. This time there's one cool player. A winger who will actually come back defensively and not call for passes from the AI when there's an opponent between them. Play a game. Win 1-0. The cool player signs off but sends you a friend request.

Pray that he's online tomorrow. Pray that anyone is. Remind yourself that you won't have to do this when the actual game comes out so long as you find a team.

Wonder about the EA NHL team. Wonder a lot about them and their thought process. Be happy that it's easier to intercept pucks now.

That's nice.

I mean, you were the one who left. Lol
I got my numbers wrong on that first game: there were 3 other people playing, and one of them was a goalie. I'm surprised at how well human goalies can be in this game, as I've played multiple games now where they've only let in 1 or 2 goals.

This guy who let in 6 goals was already lying down on the ice when the opposing team was entering the blue line. He'd then spam crease-to-crease desperation saves. It looked pretty funny, like he was breakdancing. But playing an entire game with 2-3 people who aren't interested in actually playing gets old pretty fast.

I also didn't mention it was 6-0 and I left before the first period ended.

The second game I eventually found was better. There were a couple of guys who weren't great, but they were still trying. They'd backcheck and they'd pass sometimes, which is more than you can usually ask for.

Anyway, if anyone wants to play on PS4, I'll be free in 10 minutes or so.

I got my numbers wrong on that first game: there were 3 other people playing, and one of them was a goalie. I'm surprised at how well human goalies can be in this game, as I've played multiple games now where they've only let in 1 or 2 goals.

This guy who let in 6 goals was already lying down on the ice when the opposing team was entering the blue line. He'd then spam crease-to-crease desperation saves. It looked pretty funny, like he was breakdancing. But playing an entire game with 2-3 people who aren't interested in actually playing gets old pretty fast.

I also didn't mention it was 6-0 and I left before the first period ended.

The second game I eventually found was better. There were a couple of guys who weren't great, but they were still trying. They'd backcheck and they'd pass sometimes, which is more than you can usually ask for.

Anyway, if anyone wants to play on PS4, I'll be free in 10 minutes or so.

Smelly and I are on.

Ryökäle

Neo Member
PS4 CLUB
Name = Beta Late Then Neva
Abbreviation = GAF
Owner PSN ID = TheVisualizer

I'm downloading the beta, and will send a request when the download finishes. Hopefully the lag won't be too bad for me, I'm playing from Finland and I guess that most of you guys are from NA.

bumpkin

The sole two games I played with Vis and some others were great, but every time I went on after that, the dressing room for the club was over-full. I know I could create a new club, but I didn't want to; I liked the players in the main club.

Top Bottom