• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

OFF SEASON TRADE AND FREE AGENT FUN TIME

Safe
H. Sedin
D. Sedin
Kesler
Bieksa
Hamhuis
Schneider
Hansen
Higgins
Weise
Lapierre
Burrows
Tanev
Kassian

Not Safe
Malhotra
Pahlsson
Rome
Ballard
Luongo
Ebbett
Volpatti
Gragnani
Salo
Edler
Pinizzotto
Booth

Likely Gone
Raymond
Raymond
Raymond
Raymond
Raymond
Alberts
Bitz

Likely Prospects to Move Up
Connauton
Schroeder
Lack

Potential Line-Up
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Hansen-Pahlsson/Malhotra-Schroeder
Pinizzoto-Lapierre-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Connauton-Salo

Schneider
Lack

sikkinixx

I'm glad my heart wasn't in it this year, would have been really pissed the Canucks found a new way to fuck up.

Luongo and Raymond for Stamkos.

Not counting the Wolves:

Bold = keep, italic = maybe keep

UFA's:
Pahlsson
Bitz
Volpatti
Ebbett
Salo
Rome

RFA's:
Raymond
Weise
Gragnani
Schneider

Contract year:
Malhotra
Burrows
Higgins
Lapierre

Edler
Alberts
Tanev

I can see Pahlsson staying, but it'll be a short contract at a discount.
I'm sure Salo wants to keep playing; he's worth another year at $2M.
Ebbett and Weise aren't bad fourth-liners.
Gragnani has potential.
Malhotra's a great guy but he's not the player he was, and $2.5M for a fourth-liner is pricey.

There are also the bigger contracts like Booth, Ballard, and Luongo. I don't think either of them really fit in with the team. Unless a major overhaul like the firing of AV happens, they may be dealt, but those contracts will be hard to move.

sikkinixx

There are also the bigger contracts like Booth, Ballard, and Luongo. I don't think either of them really fit in with the team. Unless a major overhaul like the firing of AV happens, they may be dealt, but those contracts will be hard to move.

I'm overall pretty happy with what Gillis has done, but for a guy who said when he came he wanted to make smart deals that don't hamstring the team, he has made a few questionable long-term-big-money deals.

Not counting the Wolves:
Gragnani has potential.
Malhotra's a great guy but he's not the player he was, and $2.5M for a fourth-liner is pricey.
I'd say Weise is a definite resigning for the team. There's no reason not to keep him, he's young, he just came off a great rookie season for a bottom six forward and he's not going to be expensive at all. He's got 3rd line upside for sure.

My biggest problem with Gragnani, is that Connauton will be making a big push at camp to make the roster. Those two are pretty much the same kind of players, but I'd give Connauton the edge since he's been much better in his own zone thanks to MacT and he's three years younger.

Also, I think the Canuck's most important task this off season is to resign MacT. Kassian, Gragnani and Jensen would all benefit tremendously with Mactavish coaching the Wolves, especially with their defensive games.

And Schroeder will make the big club in October, mark my words.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That would speak volumes about his character if they stuck the C on him... God I'm so pumped for him now because of you!
I hope you guys are able to land him, I like the Ducks especially after how they treated Koivu and still Selanne, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go a head of your pick.

I have to admit, your rage back in NHL 11 was pretty bad. :lol
Marvie NHL12 rage is best rage, he makes me feel bad for not destroying shit when a short side goal happens or the goalie shoots out the puck for no reason.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not counting the Wolves:

Bold = keep, italic = maybe keep

UFA's:
Pahlsson
Bitz
Volpatti
Ebbett
Salo
Rome

RFA's:
Raymond
Weise
Gragnani
Schneider

Contract year:
Malhotra
Burrows
Higgins
Lapierre

Edler
Alberts
Tanev

Gragnani has potential.

I agree with most of what you said, BUT:

- I really like Malhotra. Not only is he really important to the team and can serve as an inspiration/motivator what with his overcome eye injury, but he's also our best defensive faceoff-guy, which is REALLY important and which I'm willing to pay a bit more for. He's definitely solid and has a lot of upsides, I hope we re-sign him.

-I really like the impact Booth has, he's like a way better version of Raymond. Great on the puck, and always goes straight to the net. He's also got some good chemistry with Kesler, I'd like to see more of him, a full season, and see what he can do.

-I don't really care about Ballard. His contract is too big for what he does, but he's not bad either, so I'm okay with both him staying/leaving

-Goalies... well, with Schneider playing the last playoff games, it's pretty clear who the preferred Nr1 of both coach and team (since we seem to play better with Schneids) is, so I'm sure Gillis will try to ship Luongo off somewhere. HOWEVER, if we can't find anywhere that wants him AND where he'd waive his NTC to, we WILL have to trade Schneider, as much as it hurts. Then it's just a question of who/what we'll get in return, I'm hoping for a 1st rounder and a solid winger that's MUCH better than Raymond.

-Raymond. If Gillis re-signs him, I'll flip a table, get him out. All he does is skate with the puck and shoot in the middle of the goalie or way past the net, and he falls down even with noone around. Please let him go. PLEASE DEAR GOD.

-Sign Pahlsson to a short contract, he's played surprisingly well, I like it.

-Edler had terrible playoffs, but a great season where he stepped up after Erhoff leaving, we'll need to re-sign him. Same goes for Higgins, Lapierre and Burrows, they've played great.

-Tanev has become stronger and stronger and played extremely well in the playoffs too, he'll be a top4 D (IS a top 4 D) hands down. If Salo wants to stay, let him stay, he's cheap and good. Plus, he deserves to stay. :p

Fei

A lot of talk around here that the Sabres are looking to move up high (top 5) in the draft. They currently have 2 1sts and 2 2nds, so they might have the resources to do it.

A lot of talk around here that the Sabres are looking to move up high (top 5) in the draft. They currently have 2 1sts and 2 2nds, so they might have the resources to do it.

Why not just use those two firsts?

Way I see it happening is Edmonton downgrades and makes a big pickup for the #1 then trades you whatever they get in the top 5 for your picks and some extra stuff.

Kingpen

On to speculation for the Pens... Lots of potential, but ultimately a very disapointing post-season effort. A lot of elements of this team got exposed. Good job to Philly for playing a hard game - I give them props.

As far as potential moves I hope the Pens make....

1. Trade Jordan Staal. Right now his value is the highest it will be with him having a pretty good playoff scoring run. He will command a big raise of 6 mil next year. We need to sign him and Letang, and Letang is more important. Make some kind of trade for him like Philly did with Richards and get a couple of complementary pieces that are young. I hate to see him go, but he is a luxury we can't afford after next year. We just got ousted from the playoffs early, and that kind of situation usually sparks the moves to retool, so we should just commit to Crosby/Malkin going forward as our top 2 centers and try to compliment them.

2. Find someone that would be willing to take Paul Martin in a trade... He is a decent dman in the right system, but it is glaringly obvious he doesn't fit in Pittsburgh. He was pretty bad this year. I'd even be willing to take just a draft pick or picks(s) for him.

3. Part ways with one of either Matt Cooke or Tyler Kennedy. We have younger guys that can do what they can do. Cooke may have some value with putting up the goals he did this season and his reformed game. Kennedy will not get any better then he is now.

4. Get a decent backup for Fleury. MAF should have been pulled in a game 2/3. No confidence in Johnson kept him in. If Brodeur /Luongo can be pulled in these series, so should MAF for sure.

5. part ways with Craig Adams (no scoring, only good on PK, which was horrible this post-season), get rid of Asham, get rid of McKentyre,

6. Resign Steve Sullivan for cheap... or else get rid of him.

7. Resign Matt Niskanen, who fits in well with our system.

Leave this as your core and use free agency/trades to fill it in next year.

x - crosby - kunitz
neal - malkin - x
dustin jeffry - cooke or kennedy - dupuis
x - vitale - x

Letang - Orpik
Niskanen - Michalek
Engelland - strait/lovejoy/depres
strait/lovejoy/despres

Fleury
x

Marvie_3

Banned
1. Trade Jordan Staal. Right now his value is the highest it will be with him having a pretty good playoff scoring run. He will command a big raise of 6 mil next year. We need to sign him and Letang, and Letang is more important. Make some kind of trade for him like Philly did with Richards and get a couple of complementary pieces that are young. I hate to see him go, but he is a luxury we can't afford after next year. We just got ousted from the playoffs early, and that kind of situation usually sparks the moves to retool, so we should just commit to Crosby/Malkin going forward as our top 2 centers and try to compliment them.

Chicago needs a 2C and has a glut of good forward prospects.

fallout

Probably worried about not getting a guy they want. Two lower picks don't help if the guy you wanted goes.

It's always funny to watch fan reactions of teams trading to move up in the draft only to pick a player that nobody thought would go that high.

EDIT: Just re-read your post and I think I misunderstood you. Look at my post as clarification!

Probably worried about not getting a guy they want. Two lower picks don't help if the guy you wanted goes.

It's always funny to watch fan reactions of teams trading to move up in the draft only to pick a player that nobody thought would go that high.

EDIT: Just re-read your post and I think I misunderstood you. Look at my post as clarification!

Probably not, they were two distinct thoughts. If you have two midrange firsts I don't see a problem with just using them on guys your scouts say have a lot of potential. See Giroux, Carter, Richards. Flyers actually have a pretty good track record with those kinds of picks.

The second part was a way I could see what you're talking about actually happening.

Socreges

Banned
I think some guys that would have been untouchable last summer could now be sent elsewhere. Can't speculate on what Gillis might be thinking, but I'd imagine he's willing to shake the team up a bit.

Pahlsson is probably gone. I think he'll want to sign somewhere near home.
Salo could decide to retire, but I'd love to have him back for a couple mill.
Raymond has potential and could attract some attention from other teams, so I'd like his RFA rights to be traded.
Resign Gragnani. He'll be cheap and could still develop into a worthwhile offensive dman.
Keep Malhotra. I feel like guys like him are as important off the ice as on it. He seems to be a great 'morale' guy.
Let Kassian finish his GED and fix his teeth.

Schneider please.
I'd prefer to keep Schneider, but if they can get an awesome return for him... I dunno. It'll be interesting to see what Gillis ends up doing. Gonna be tough to bring back Luongo at this point.

And again, Schneider is awesome. Nice that so many more people are finally realizing this now.

ZeroGravity

Would Luongo go to a non-contender just to get out of Vancouver, if they decide Schneider is definitely their guy next season? That's the interesting question to me. Vancouver is probably going to have a hard time getting good value for him without getting a salary dump in return.

I think Tampa would definitely give up something significant for Schneider, but I don't think they'll bite at all on Luongo - Yzerman seems to hate long-term deals and probably doesn't want to be shackled with another one on the team.

Socreges

Banned
Would Luongo go to a non-contender just to get out of Vancouver, if they decide Schneider is definitely their guy next season? That's the interesting question to me. Vancouver is probably going to have a hard time getting good value for him without getting a salary dump in return.

I think Tampa would definitely give up something significant for Schneider, but I don't think they'll bite at all on Luongo - Yzerman seems to hate long-term deals and probably doesn't want to be shackled with another one on the team.
Only Luongo knows that. Refusing a trade would make it pretty uncomfortable for him in Vancouver and he could help some teams turn things around for sure. So there's that. On the other hand he probably thinks the Canucks still have a good shot at the Cup and might not want to take his chances elsewhere. But if he was being forced out... who knows.

He could very well force Gillis' hand and have Schneider traded instead. In some way I'd prefer that. We'd still have very good goaltending (albeit a head case in net that attracts way too much attention) and could plug a hole or two with whatever they acquire.

Marvie_3

Banned

Luongo's contract is so toxic. I can't see him waving just to get out of Vancouver and if the Canucks do happen to find a trade partner, they're going to have to take a bunch of shit back in return. There's no way they'll get fair value for him when he still has 10 years to go on his contract. If it was 2-3 years, the Canucks would have several teams interested.

Solo

They will trade Schneider for 2 simple reasons:

1. It's actually doable. Nobody wants Luo for a decade.
2. He'll fetch a better return than Luongo.

Smiley90

Only Luongo knows that. Refusing a trade would make it pretty uncomfortable for him in Vancouver and he could help some teams turn things around for sure. So there's that. On the other hand he probably thinks the Canucks still have a good shot at the Cup and might not want to take his chances elsewhere. But if he was being forced out... who knows.

He could very well force Gillis' hand and have Schneider traded instead. In some way I'd prefer that. We'd still have very good goaltending (albeit a head case in net that attracts way too much attention) and could plug a hole or two with whatever they acquire.

Before these playoffs, I would've totally agreed with you and wanted Schneider to be traded. However, I'm not sure how confident/comfortable Luongo will be next season with Schneider gone, when he knows that he didn't have the coaches' favour, and knowing that the reason for that was that the team plays better with Schneider in net. I'm not sure if that doesn't put too much negativity on him and would make him a worse goaltender if he stayed. So... if we CAN get rid of Luongo, we should, if we can't, then make sure we get something good in return for Schneider. Problem is, if we don't get rid of Luongo, where does the cap space for this "good return" come from?

Red_Man

I agree with Solo, but Dredger mentioned last night on twitter after that lost that he doesn't believe that AV and Lou can co-exist in Vancouver for much longer, and I imagine he's heard some things from various people indicating this.

Solo

I agree with Solo, but Dredger mentioned last night on twitter after that lost that he doesn't believe that AV and Lou can co-exist in Vancouver for much longer, and I imagine he's heard some things from various people indicating this.

AV is getting fired for sure. Maybe he'll be back in Montreal next season...

Socreges

Banned
They will trade Schneider for 2 simple reasons:

1. It's actually doable. Nobody wants Luo for a decade.
2. He'll fetch a better return than Luongo.
I'm sure there's a team or three out there that would take Luongo in a heartbeat if they could unload a big contract of their own. Upgrade in goal and a not so dissimilar cap situation. We've been saying this all along. The Canucks org might be willing to do this if they feel that they've backed themselves into a corner with Luongo.

I was resigned to the fact that we'd have to trade Schneids, but now I can see a situation where Luongo is gone instead. Definitely less likely, though. Dat trade bait.

Red_Man

AV is getting fired for sure. Maybe he'll be back in Montreal next season...
Dunno if he would want to come back, and I'm beginning to take to the idea of Roy as HC a lot more lately. His passion and drive to win is what the team needs to push them forward, even if he has a big mouth, and I think he could get a lot out of the players.

Solo

He could, but he'll also walk that fine line between firing players up and losing the room.

He'd basically be Torts if Torts was an even BIGGER asshole :lol

Socreges

Banned
Luongo for Lecavalier
ibvoZZX5Z3495i.gif

If Luongo refuses to leave, the Canucks will trade Schneider. The best goaltending tandem in the league won't be worth anything if they can't score. Unfortunately that could leave the Canucks in the same situation as the Pens (unwilling to use their backup when the starter is getting lit up like a Christmas tree) but that's what depth at other positions is for.

I doubt Luongo would leave for a non-contender. He wants a Cup and time is running out for him. If there are no takers then he may decide to swallow his pride and stay in Vancouver even if it means a reduced workload and a lack of confidence in him from management. I can see Gillis firing AV to accommodate Luongo.

Red_Man

A risk I'm willing to take, plus he'll have Savard and others managing him. Elliot Friedman has talked to some of his friends and said that he would be great and wants to win more then anything else, but just needs some insulation in the organization to help manage his emotions. You can't teach that kind of passion, and I think he could really help push guys like Subban, Price, Patcioretty, Eller, etc to be their best.

You serious? They make like 1.2 more than Leino a year don't they? They're long, but they were widely considered "fair" deals.

Not talking about their cap hit (which is excellent) just the length. Carter's goes til 2022 and Richards til 2020. That's the big turnoff, you're stuck with a contract for a decade.

Smiley90

You can't ignore the fact that they're long. That's why people are uncomfortable with Luongo's contract.

Soc, so say we can't trade Luongo... where do we get Cap space for a good return for Schneider from? Or are we gonna go fishing for picks/prospects instead? Raymond alone doesn't give us too much space...

Marvie_3

Banned
So is Jeff Carter's and it didn't stop him getting traded. Richards' contract isn't much better.
Carter is 27, Luongo is 33.

10 years/$5M+ for a skater just entering their prime is lot different than 10 years/$5M+ for a goalie in his mid-30's.

Luongo was older than the two of them when he signed it though wasn't he? I wanna say later twenties...

Luongo was 30 when he signed his 12-year deal

10 years/$5M+ for a skater just entering their prime is lot different than 10 years/$5M+ for a goalie in his mid-30's.

Marvie proving me right. So glad I don't have to be useful around here.

::Stands Next to Marvie:: "See. Told you so!"

Fei

Way I see it happening is Edmonton downgrades and makes a big pickup for the #1 then trades you whatever they get in the top 5 for your picks and some extra stuff.

The Sabres organization is big on the "win now" motto since Pegula took over. That pretty much summed up the last offseason (of course Leino was a bust in every sense of the word, but Ehrhoff and Regehr were great pickups). My guess is he's looking to use those picks to move up and get a player who will be on the roster next year, or trade those picks in a package for a current NHLer (ie Pitt will get a call from Buffalo about Jordan Staal if he's actually available).

Quick

Banned

This is why I'm in for a contract limit for players 35+, or if the player is going over 35 with years still remaining on his contract.

Everyone scooch over, Hawks will be joining the party shortly.

I'm keeping Marvie's seat warm.

Revenant

*enters thread and sees the beginning of a long summer of Canucks bickering on goalies*

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

this place is hell. Diablo III will take me to a better place.

I can see Gillis firing AV to accommodate Luongo.

I don't see why Luongo would accept a trade, unless the locker room has turned on him. It bothers me to no end that shell-shocked Vancouver fans look to him as the reason for their record-setting exit, and pay no attention to the anaemic forwards and statuesque defensemen.

I'd personally like AV to be canned - I've never liked how the Canucks play under him - and Schneider to be traded for an offensive d-man and a couple blue chip draft picks.

Oh, to Marvie & rev and the odd play-off only fan that stumbles in here:

welcome-mat.jpg

Top Bottom