• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

calder

So pumped for the draft lottery, when the Oilers get first overall and I can finally leave the NHL like an abusive boyfriend forever.

Jets Off Season:

1) Buy out Pavelec
2) get Burmistrov the hell out of the KHL. Coach Noel is gone, Burmi!
3) Trade for Reimer. Or literally any average NHL starter who isn't making 4.5 per year with several years left.
4) upgrade depth, even one or two decent guys at 3-4 F or 5-6 defense would be a huge deal. What's Leo Komarov doing?
5) Win lottery. Is Ekblad NHL-ready? Sold! If God really hates us all and the Oilers win the lottery then whatever, Kasperi Kapanen looks good and his name is top notch.

Samyy

So pumped for the draft lottery, when the Oilers get first overall and I can finally leave the NHL like an abusive boyfriend forever.

Jets Off Season:

1) Buy out Pavelec
3) Trade for Reimer. Or literally any average NHL starter who isn't making 4.5 per year with several years left.
4) upgrade depth, even one or two decent guys at 3-4 F or 5-6 defense would be a huge deal. What's Leo Komarov doing?
5) Win lottery. Is Ekblad NHL-ready? Sold! If God really hates us all and the Oilers win the lottery then whatever, Kasperi Kapanen looks good and his name is top notch.

Ekblad could definitely slot in on a third pairing next season, very sound mechanically, doesn't take many risks.

Komarov wants to come back to the NHL, he has said that he is giving Toronto first dibs but I don't think we own his rights or anything, and we don't have cap space.

Reimer for a pick pls.

zroid

Banned
hi-res-452249943-david-clarkson-of-the-toronto-maple-leafs-skates-during_crop_north.jpg

calder

I almost feel bad for Last Train (which would totally be my nickname for him if I was a fan and he wasn't horrible), he HAD to take that ridiculous offer and you can see it got to him. Not his fault the Leafs wanted to spend money and he was basically the only 'big name' FA left at the time.

Curufinwe

Jets Off Season:

1) Buy out Pavelec

Can Montoya be the starter next season or at least play 40 games? I wish we had a backup as good as him.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ekblad could definitely slot in on a third pairing next season, very sound mechanically, doesn't take many risks.

Komarov wants to come back to the NHL, he has said that he is giving Toronto first dibs but I don't think we own his rights or anything, and we don't have cap space.

Reimer for a pick pls.
We do still have his rights and we have the cap space since it doesn't seem like we're keeping Bolland, Raymond, and maybe even Franson and Reimer. Maybe bring up a kid defenseman, sigh Komo, get rid of our enforcers, get rid of Carlyle, and pray? :(

Samyy

We do still have his rights and we have the cap space since it doesn't seem like we're keeping Bolland, Raymond, and maybe even Franson and Reimer. Maybe bring up a kid defenseman, sigh Komo, get rid of our enforcers, get rid of Carlyle, and pray? :(

JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - FA/Rookie (Leivo?)
Komarov - Holland - Clarkson
Ashton - McClement - D'Amigo

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Rielly
Gleason - Percy

:/ I guess thats what I would hope for, I hope Franson is punted into the sun.

JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - FA/Rookie

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Rielly
Gleason - Percy

That looks terrible :(

yyzjohn

Banned
JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - FA/Rookie

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Rielly
Gleason - Percy

Did Clarkson get injured in a bizarre gardening accident over the summer in your view of the lines?
Oh there he is, for some reason I didn't see his name originally. I think I fucking blocked it out.

Socreges

Banned
I almost feel bad for Last Train (which would totally be my nickname for him if I was a fan and he wasn't horrible), he HAD to take that ridiculous offer and you can see it got to him. Not his fault the Leafs wanted to spend money and he was basically the only 'big name' FA left at the time.
Didn't he know he was going to ultimately sign with the Leafs but shopped himself around to raise the price? If so, no sympathy from me. If not, still no sympathy from me + wipingtearswithcash.gif

Samyy

That looks terrible :(

It all depends really on how well the rookies play and if Bruins/ Gardiner from the last 10 games shows up because that Gardiner was playing close to the level of a first pairing D.

Also we really need to figure out who can play on the wing with Kadri and Lupul...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It all depends really on how well the rookies play and if Bruins/ Gardiner from the last 10 games shows up because that Gardiner was playing close to the level of a first pairing D.

Also we really need to figure out who can play on the wing with Kadri and Lupul...
OUR SAVIOUR, GREG MCKEGG!!!

zroid

Banned
I really hope we can use Lupul to fleece someone. I think Lupes still has a pretty good reputation in the league, and god knows we need the cap space.

Samyy

I really hope we can use Lupul to fleece someone. I think Lupes still has a pretty good reputation in the league, and god knows we need the cap space.

The problem with shifting our Lupul is that the 2nd-line is barren, we have no talent from the Marlies that could slot in on an NHL 2nd line....
Good thing we drafted all those guys like Biggs and Ross with our high picks eh...

zroid

Banned
The problem with shifting our Lupul is that the 2nd-line is barren, we have no talent from the Marlies that could slot in on an NHL 2nd line....
Good thing we drafted all those guys like Biggs and Ross with our high picks eh...

Well yeah we'd need to get someone to replace him. Not sure how, but obviously the trade should only be made if the return is very good. This might be the last summer we have a chance to get something decent for him so it would be a shame to waste that.

Anyway, The Five Stages of Leafs Fan Grief. :'(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
JvR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - FA/Rookie (Leivo?)

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Rielly
Gleason - Percy

This is basically the exact same line up from this season, you don't think there should be some changes with this group after the failures of the last 3 seasons? I think Carlyle carries a lot of the blame, but at the same time there needs to be some accountability with the players.

Samyy

This is basically the exact same line up from this season, you don't think there should be some changes with this group after the failures of the last 3 seasons? I think Carlyle carries a lot of the blame, but at the same time there needs to be some accountability with the players.

Well, the big thing here is not resigning Bolland.

And honestly what can we change? I am not privy to any info on potential trade targets etc, but I can't see the main guys: Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Phaneuf, Rielly, Gardiner, Bernier being moved. Phaneuf mainly due to his contract, maybe theres interest in a place like Edmonton, I don't know, and our contracts like Clarkson, Gleason restrict us from doing anything substantial this offseason. To be honest I'd much rather them do nothing and us suck next year for a shot at winning the lottery and McDavid.

So yea that lineup is based on the assumption we 1) don't sign any FAs, 2) don't do any trades, I don't want to/can't speculate on stuff like that.

I guess maybe look at Dan Boyle, Matt Niskanen, Nikita Nikitin in the off season, but those are three guys I expect to get signed.

Pretty much the Canucks' situation too. Hopefully with a new coach, healthy bodies, and some prospects cracking the roster they won't need a complete rebuild.

Looks like both teams are stuck with underperforming players signed to large and long term contracts.

Red_Man

And honestly what can we change? I am not privy to any info on potential trade targets etc, but I can't see the main guys: Kessel, JVR, Bozak, Phaneuf, Rielly, Gardiner, Bernier being moved.
I don't really think you can change much, which is why I think they'll be stuck as they are for a while. That's a core that has fucked up badly 3 years straight, how many chances do you give them before a big shake up? Same with Canucks, how many seasons do you give with that team that clearly has been unable to get it done?

Samyy

I don't really think you can change much, which is why I think they'll be stuck as they are for a while. That's a core that has fucked up badly 3 years straight, how many chances do you give them before a big shake up? Same with Canucks, how many seasons do you give with that team that clearly has been unable to get it done?

Only movable pieces in that core are JvR, Bernier, Rielly, Gardiner etc. from a contract perspective Kessel, Phaneuf and maybe Bozak will be hard to move :(

Bernier obviously, no sense moving. Gardiner? Maybe, Rielly plays a similar game. JvR makes no sense to trade with his contract, but, he's probably the guy we could get the most for and he wasn't around for the collapse in 2012.

Samyy

At this point Lupul makes good trade bait, cheap contract for a guy that'll put up 20 goals +20-30 assists.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm on board for the trade Lupul train. Dude is a liability defensively. Need a better 2 way winger than him.

Core of the team is still young, they need to change the way they play. Right now they're playing way worse than they actually are due to confidence issues, there's no way this group should lose 8 straight games but there you have it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I'd still rather keep both Rielly and Gardiner and trade Franson

Unfortunately, there is almost no wiggle room in our roster

Kessel isn't going anywhere, and I'd like to keep him
Bozak, is Kessel's driver and I think he'd be a great #2 C
JVR has a kick ass contract and we'd be stupid to let him go
Kadri is young and still learning the ropes. He needs consistency of course, but he can still grow.
Lupul could be the odd man out here, but a "cheap contract for a guy that'll put up 20 goals +20-30 assists" isn't something we should be giving up lightly.
Clarktard...LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! You guys took Armstrong...why not Clarkson? He brings HEART! I'm expecting more out of him once he has a full fucking season and hopefully the next coach will utilize him in a better role no matter the money he makes
MayRay is gone. I'd love to keep him, but he deserves more money.
Bolland is very likely gone. There is tons of potential there, but that injury along with the cap problems...
Reimer, I would prefer he leaves. He deserves better.
Gunnarsson will likely re-sign.
Phaneuf isn't going anywhere...
Gardiner is a possible
Rielly isn't going anywhere
Franson, I do think he'll be traded, AND I think once our coach is gone we'll regret it after seeing Franson do better elsewhere.
Berns ain't going nowhere.

Now, with that core group we'll also fight for a playoff spot again next season...

Red_Man

Dredger said:
Nonis delivered word to owners that this was going to be a tough year, and next year as well.....the message I'm getting from the boardroom is that they're frustrated but everyone's fine....The reality is this team is where management projected it would be at the start of the year.

So, uh, have fun with that Leaf fans.

Solo

Management projected dat 8 game losing streak/going from 3 points up to 13 points down on the Habs in the final 3 weeks of the season?

Visionaries.

Dreger is talking out of his ass.

Last year, Nonis and his group were sure the team had improved with the off season acquisitions of Bolland, Clarkson and Bernier. Dreger spoke of this often, and agreed with the sentiment, until *very* recently.

Now he's claiming that Nonis told the board it was going to be 'tough year'? Bullshit. He's either out there trying to set the narrative that Nonis was prepared for this disaster, or he's just a bigger idiot than I'd thought.

Maybe the best think Leiweke could do is fire everyone involved with this mess. Most of these front office guys have been there since 2008, these collapses are on them as much as anyone.

Red_Man

Posted this in the other thread by accident:

Dreger said:
I think we need to appreciate the type of manager that Nonis is.

Hahahahahaha, my god, Dreger isn't even attempting to cover up how full of shit he is anymore. Give me a fucking break, you probably shouldn't be a main reporter responsible for the club that your cousin is the GM of.

Samyy

Hahahahahaha, my god, Dreger isn't even attempting to cover up how full of shit he is anymore. Give me a fucking break, you probably shouldn't be a main reporter responsible for the club that your cousin is the GM of.

BkGK0b1CEAI44Hs.jpg:large

OH MY GOD :LOL

"Please don't fire him, he's my source!"

Merguson

Banned
Hey. Nonis has a 100% track record in not trading away 1st round picks. The first since probably forever.

Fuck those 2nd round picks though. All of them.

Samyy

That #1 centre will need to be drafted. Which is why I wholeheartedly support selling off the secondary scoring (Lupul, Raymond), not improving the defense and tanking in 2015 to finally draft one.

4 centres might be top 10 next year:
McDavid (out of reach)
Eichel (projected top 3, out of reach)
Barzal (top 5)
Strome (top 10)

I think only Dylan Strome is somewhat within reach. But these things change a lot over a year so we'll see.

Edit: Konecny is another one rising in peoples list to the top 10, so lots of targets available.
Oh god also Saarela WE NEED A TOP 7/8 PICK AT LEAST!

zroid

Banned
4 centres might be top 10 next year:
McDavid (out of reach)
Eichel (projected top 3, out of reach)
Barzal (top 5)
Strome (top 10)

I think only Dylan Strome is somewhat within reach. But these things change a lot over a year so we'll see.

Edit: Konecny is another one rising in peoples list to the top 10, so lots of targets available.
Oh god also Saarela WE NEED A TOP 7/8 PICK AT LEAST!

Lottery, baby. Believe in the lottery.

It's our time!

Samyy

Lottery, baby. Believe in the lottery.

It's our time!

Its Leiweke good friends with Bettman?
Come on Leiweke, this is what we hired you for, get that fix in! Fix a date for ol'Gary and Drake or something. Do whatever you have to do!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Its Leiweke good friends with Bettman?
Come on Leiweke, this is what we hired you for, get that fix in! Fix a date for ol'Gary and Drake or something. Do whatever you have to do!
I'd rather have it next year. Even if we got it, you know every team and fan in the league is going to cry foul.

You could give it to fucking Boston or the Hawks for all I care so long as the fucking oil don't get another soft forward to embarrass themselves with again

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Tyler Bozak ($4.200m) / Phil Kessel ($8.000m)
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.000m)
Lee Stempniak ($2.500m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.100m) / David Clarkson ($5.250m)
Leo Komarov ($1.000m) / Peter Holland ($1.500m) / Troy Bodie ($0.600m)
Jerry D'Amigo ($0.851m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Carl Gunnarsson ($3.150m) / Dan Boyle ($4.500m)
Tim Gleason ($4.000m) / Morgan Rielly ($0.894m)
Anton Belov ($1.200m) / Jake Gardiner ($2.000m)
Petter Granberg ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Bernier ($2.900m)
Evgeni Nabokov ($1.000m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Komisarek ($0.000m)
Mikhail Grabovski ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,983,128; BONUSES: $950,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,116,872

rsmzOXX.gif

Then make Ovechkin captain and sit back and watch the fireworks.

Why is Sens-Gaf so keen on Cammalleri? Apart from this year (a contract year), his production has been decidedly average for a guy on a $6m AAV contract.

Red_Man

rsmzOXX.gif

Then make Ovechkin captain and sit back and watch the fireworks.
You're going full Hfboard-tard with these giant lineup projections

Why is Sens-Gaf so keen on Cammalleri? Apart from this year (a contract year), his production has been decidedly average for a guy on a $6m AAV contract.
Dude is so overrated. Literally all he does his score, awful defensively, softer than baby shit, and is a bad guy in the locker room. I've never regretted the trade for Bourque even though Bourque is shit.

Top Bottom