• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Cake Boss

Banned
Why is Sens-Gaf so keen on Cammalleri? Apart from this year (a contract year), his production has been decidedly average for a guy on a $6m AAV contract.

Cant be worse than Michalek.

Seems like a good trigger man for Spezza and Hemsky, they need a pure shooter.

Cant be worse than Michalek.

Seems like a good trigger man for Spezza and Hemsky, they need a pure shooter.

WGX6mAZ.jpg

Buyout Booth, re-sign Tanev, Kassian, and Santorelli and you end up with this:

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Zack Kassian ($1.100m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Mike Santorelli ($2.000m)
Michael Zalewski ($0.925m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Bo Horvat ($0.925m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Chris Tanev ($3.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,363,333; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,736,667

Pretty much the same line-up, assuming they don't jettison a defenceman, Hansen, or Kesler. They do have enough space to sign a UFA winger though.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
From that Chemmy guy:

Goalies who played 45GP with a min. 920 SV% since 2005. There were 32 matching seasons. How many goalies had better seasons the next year?

The answer is 5 out of 32 goalies who put up a meaningful 920 improved the next season. 2 if you remove Tim Thomas and Lundqvist.

On average those goalies lost 9 pts on their SV% (ie. a 920 becomes a 911).

ZeroGravity

So at what point do the Capitals seriously start to consider trading Ovechkin?

He's becoming even more of a one-dimensional player, he's nearly the age when goal scoring tends to start dropping off, and he clearly isn't the leader that team needs. His 9.5 million a year could probably be put to better use.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

He's becoming even more of a one-dimensional player, he's nearly the age when goal scoring tends to start dropping off, and he clearly isn't the leader that team needs. His 9.5 million a year could probably be put to better use.
At that price, I'm not sure any of the teams that could afford that have any cap space left. I still think he's an elite player and he showed what happens when you count him out like last year. I wonder, though, if the Caps wouldn't rather have had Malkin instead.

Once you fire the buffoon of a GM that's been here for 16 years and the idiot coach who thinks he knows everything. I want to see what Ovi looks like under a coach with previous NHL head coaching experience. Then you give him one year, if he shows no signs of improvements then you try to move him.

Once you fire the buffoon of a GM that's been here for 16 years and the idiot coach who thinks he knows everything. I want to see what Ovi looks like under a coach with previous NHL head coaching experience. Then you give him one year, if he shows no signs of improvements then you try to move him.

Carlyle2.jpg

Haven't they been trying to build the team around him for years? It clearly hasn't worked, so at some point you have to consider that maybe it's the player, not the management, coaching, or teammates.

Red_Man

This is going to sound ridiculous because he has almost 50 goals, but how many coaches want Ovechkin? He comes across as the most uncoachable player, completely 1 dimensional, and takes up so much of the cap that hampers your team. Chokes in big moments, and seems like a shitty leader, I don't really see a lot of coaches wanting to have to deal with that. He would give Therrien a stroke with all his "disconnected controller" moments.

Haven't they been trying to build the team around him for years? It clearly hasn't worked, so at some point you have to consider that maybe it's the player, not the management, coaching, or teammates.

The same guy has been in charge of General manager duties for 16 years. That's a failure on his part. We've never had a competent defense, they've never stuck by one goalie and we didn't get a 2C until Ribeiro last year.

I'm not saying that Ovechkin is perfect but before last year's playoffs he was third in playoff ppg since the lockout behind Malkin and Crosby.

People outside of Washington put too much at his feet and not enough at our incompetent owner and GM who's only hired rookie coaches ever since he got here.

Fei

Sabres signed their pick Jake McCabe to a pro contract and might bring him directly from Wisconsin to Buffalo. He's been a standout in college and was Team USA Junior captain. Can't wait to see this guy play in the NHL.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Leafs sign Carter Vajayjay (Verhaeghe) to his ELC. He will now join the Marlies.

From what I've heard he's looked pretty good since they drafted him, hoping he can take the next step and maybe see him in 3 years.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Leafs sign Carter Vajayjay (Verhaeghe) to his ELC. He will now join the Marlies.

From what I've heard he's looked pretty good since they drafted him, hoping he can take the next step and maybe see him in 3 years.

Every leafs fan will still call him vajayjay

Connor Brown won some OHL award.

Lets hope the Leafs let him ripen in the AHL for a year or two rather than drop him on a 4th line with Orr and Matt Hendricks.

yyzjohn

Banned

Lets hope the Leafs let him ripen in the AHL for a year or two rather than drop him on a 4th line with Orr and Matt Hendricks.

You let something ripen too much and you have to throw it out. All that mold and shit.

Delryk

Scoring title. And NO he didnt play with MacDavid.. lol

He could potentially fight for a job against Leivo -- which would be Raymond's position.

The guy gained 20lbs since last year and grew a bit too.. if he can pull this off again hes got a chance.. but i would rather see Leivo up first.

Merguson

Banned
Chris Johnston @reporterchris
Jake Gardiner's recent play has impressed Randy Carlyle; coach moved him to top PP unit to get him more minutes. "He's earned it."

Carlyle, why do you hate Gardiner so muc- oh wait.

Spl1nter

Scoring title. And NO he didnt play with MacDavid.. lol

He could potentially fight for a job against Leivo -- which would be Raymond's position.

The guy gained 20lbs since last year and grew a bit too.. if he can pull this off again hes got a chance.. but i would rather see Leivo up first.

Leivo is quite a bit ahead of Brown development wise. His strengths transfer over to the NHL better. I have no idea what Brown is going to be at the pro level. He has a lot of talent and character. There was a leaf video which showed him in Erie when he signed his contract and the different people talked about him. There are not many players with his kind of determination. I think he will find a way to make it to the NHL one day.

Red_Man

You let something ripen too much and you have to throw it out. All that mold and shit.
Not sure if you're serious or not about letting kids stay in the AHL too long, but Nyquist is 24. People forget that and think he's just a kid from the AHL tearing it up, but he's the same age as JVR.

Carlyle, why do you hate Gardiner so muc- oh wait.
He hasn't been getting top line minutes on the top PP unit already?

1370220246975.jpg

yyzjohn

Banned
Not sure if you're serious or not about letting kids stay in the AHL too long, but Nyquist is 24. People forget that and think he's just a kid from the AHL tearing it up, but he's the same age as JVR.

There's a difference between Leafs prospects and rest of NHL prospects. Translation: Leafs prospects usually stink.

Nyquist, taken in the 4th round by Detroit
Stefanovich taken in the 4th round by the Leafs.

One of those 2 is an NHL player, the other is out of hockey.

Top Bottom