• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

zroid

Banned
TFW that huge batch of crops you planted in Story of Seasons is finally ready for harvest so you have to do twice as much work on that day :(

calder

Fuck you guys,
Quick

You had us at "Fuck you guys". <3

withlovebuff19lno.gif

Well at least we won't be the first ones eliminated.

A better metric for qualifying "busts" is the number of games played, IMO. Going by pairings/lines is inconsistent.

Acid08

Banned
Been kinda putting this off but I'm gonna do my annual grading of our players.

Thornton: A. Dude is still amazing and drives our offense. Had a good season despite all the offseason bullshit. He should have never lost the C.

Marleau: C. His worst season in a long time. Didn't even get to 20 goals and was questionable defensively all season which is crazy. Has been our most consistent defensive forward for years but he took a step back this year. Him bouncing back next season would be huge for us.

Couture: B+. Juicy had a good season, was second in scoring on the team. His defensive game also took a step back but not as severely as Marleau's.

Pavelski: A+. Our most consistent forward this season. Almost got to 40 goals, a PP monster. Really stepped into a more visible leadership role this season too, I love this guy.

Burns: B-. He got moved back to the blue line this season to mixed results. While he was one of the highest scoring dmen in the league his defensive game was mixed to say the least. I figured he would have rough start, and he did, but it never really got much better after that. There's an inherent risk with the type of game he plays but he's just not smart enough defensively to go against top lines, as he was doing for a lot of the season. Was better on the second pairing. Still, he provides more offense from the back end than most of our dmen combined. That's something we need going forward, I just hope we can find it elsewhere and that he can get back up to forward.

Wingels: A-. Wingels continues his upward trajectory, he's our best bottom six forward by a mile. He's fast, physical, and has some damn good hands. Hope he's on this team for a long time to come.

Hertl: C. Well here's the biggest disappointment of the season. Hertl just never really found his game. He was shuffled up and down lines all season, even centering our fourth line for a time. As the season progressed he got better and better but never really found the scoring touch. Big reason for that? Not playing with Thornton and Burns. Him with Pavs and Thronton just never really worked, Burns made that line run in a big way. Hertl looked most at home at center and part of the reason for trading Sheppard was that DW wanted to give Hertl a shot there. That never really materialized with the emergence of Tierney and I don't know how that situation will play out in the future. It will be interesting at least.

Nieto: B+. Nieto was super solid all season long. He wasn't getting rewarded with points but he was one of our best possession players. Works really well on the second line with Couture and Marleau. Later in the season he started getting some goals which was great, he deserved those. Really looking forward to him developing more.

Best Karlsson: A. Best surprise of the season right here. Melker fit in right away with us and was our most impressive rookie. He's not the best solution on Thornton's line but outside of Burns he has fit in there the best of anyone is years past. He's just a fucking buzz saw on the forecheck. Super glad we have him.

Vlasic: A. Steady as she goes for Pickles. Still by far our best dman and his offensive game keeps improving. He's never going to be a dynamic offensive player but he's just getting more well rounded. Doesn't look so out of place jumping into the rush anymore.

Braun: B. Braun struggled a bit this year after how amazing he was last year. Still a solid season though. I hope they don't split him and Vlasic up ever again, they play really well together.

Tierney: A. Another super impressive rookie this year. He started the season with the team, got sent down, and came back WAY better. Not sure what it was but that AHL stint really got him going. Seems like he's poised to be our new 3C. He's defensively responsible and crafty as fuck offensively, was the best part about the later half of the season. Reminds me of a harder working, more talented Wellwood.

Irwin: B. Irwin really stepped up nicely this year. His skating has improved and his shot is powerful, something we really need because Burns is really the only other dman who has a great shot. Would definitely like to keep him around as bottom pairing/extra.

Goodrow: C+. Goodrow is inconsistent but hey, he jumped straight from Junior to the NHL so that's to be expected. He has talent and skates fucking hard, I think he'll develop into a great 4th liner for us.

Dillon: B. Dillon is a great young dman. He's top four already and is only going to get better. His offensive game is basically non-existant which sucks but he adds physicality, speed, and puck movement to our blueline. Hope we re-sign him and keep him around for a while.

Tennyson: C. This guy is okay. Fit in well enough without fucking up but he'll never be good enough to crack the top four here. In the few games that Fedun played he was way better than Tennyson so hopefully Fedun gets a real shot here next year. That he wasn't called up earlier was totally baffling to me.

Hannan: F. Retire already.

Smith: C. He seems decent enough. Don't like that we gave up Desi for him though.

Scott: D. lmao

Mueller: B-. He's one of the top d prospects out there and for the most part I think he looked good if a bit green to actually play full time in the NHL. He was routinely scratched in favor of Scott Hannan which was fucking hilarious. Thumbs up TMac. He's going to be very good.

Brown: F. Fuck you dude.

Niemi: B. Nemo did well given how the players in front of him played. Wouldn't mind him coming back on a one or two year contract if it was cheap.

Stalock: D. Stalock regressed from last year back down to numbers that look more like his career AHL numbers ie mediocre. He'll be around next year so I guess we'll see what he can do.

Overall, outside of a few players, everything either plateaued or played worse this year. Player usage was questionable and performance was inconsistent across the board. This team is in a really interesting position going forward. We have good players and just need a good coach. If our underperforming forwards and dmen bounce back next year I think we'll be back in the playoffs. Of course, if guys are just running out of gas then we're fucked. We don't have the top end talent to replace guys like Thornton and Marleau so the best we can hope for is a bounce back season.

Pipe dream: We get a dman to replace Burns so he can go back to forward.

Socreges

Banned
Sheeeeeit.... Work --> School --> Soccer game on the same night as new MK8 DLC NHL-GAF tourney? Damn

Haven't played MK8 in a while, but have wanted to fire it up lately

Acid08

Banned
If you guys don't re-sign Dillon you'll feel sorry. I don't even know what were we thinking when we let him go

I'm pretty confident that we will. I was pretty surprised you guys traded him too. Demers is good but Dillon is younger and will probably be much better in the future.

zroid

Banned
Here's my ratings of select Leafs:

Kessel: F for fatass
Bozak: B+ inconsistent but he's still young and will get better
JVR: A because he's still better than Luke Schenn
Kadri: C- he needs to learn to play the white way
Lupul: B for broken bones
Gardiner: D for dilapidated. It's getting torn down soon.
Komarov: C for concussion :'(
Rielly: #1 in our hearts
Phagoof: A+ he was so good this year guys Edmonton needs a top flight #1 Defenceman like Dion Phaneuf obviously
Sill: A+ dat grit
Brewer: A+ dat tenacity
Bernier: Vesa Toskala's ghost stole his rating
Reimer: B- pls don't trade him for a 7th rounder

Sounds like the Sharks could use a serving of Bozak+Lupul, with a bowl of Phaneuf for dessert.

Leafs would only need your 2015 and 2016 1sts, Hertl and the lease to Thornton's love-pad.

edit: zroid, you forgot Zach Sill, who gets a Z for Zruclence.

wait, no you didnt.

Clydefrog

LA Kings: Best to Worst

Anze Kopidor &#8211; (with Doti), he is the center of the franchise. Total class act and one of the best players in the NHL. Give him the damn C on his jersey already.
Drew Doti &#8211; A God Emperor. Never, ever trade him.
Jeff Carter &#8211; Amazing season. Silky smooth and clutch as fuck.
Jake Muzzin &#8211; Muzzy score goal. Muzzy defend well too.
Marian Gaborik &#8211; Was actually quite healthy and played great. He always has yellow sweat stains on his jersey though, gross.
Tyler Toffoli &#8211; Still gives the best interviews and is basically Carter&#8217;s protégé.
Trevor Lewis &#8211; Work ethic king.
Robyn Regehr &#8211; RIP, thanks for a great couple of seasons. Ride your Ferrari into the sunset.
Andrej Sekera &#8211; Turned out to be even better of a deal now that we missed the playoffs (we keep a draft pick). Sign him up!!
Tanner Pearson &#8211; Played decently before he broke his god damn leg. Glad to re-sign him.
Alec Martinez &#8211; Concussed for a good part of 2015 but is a huge help on the D-line.
Jarret Stoll &#8211; A beast with a drug/idiot problem.
Brayden McNabb &#8211; Well, he&#8217;s better than Jeff Schultz.
Justin Williams &#8211; The Houdini of the Kings. Disappears but then shows up at opportune times with amazing tricks.
Nick Shore &#8211; Been too blessed in the past with amazing rookies like Toffoli and Pearson that it makes Shore look like a flop. Give him time.
Kyle Clifford &#8211; Plays his role fine, glad to keep him.
Jamie McBain &#8211; Remember when I said I&#8217;d rate you last? I lied.
Andy Andreoff &#8211; Not enough games to warrant a rating.
Mike Richards &#8211; Thanks but GTFO
Dustin Brown &#8211; GTFO (but no one will want his expensive contract, so&#8230; SHIT)
Matt Greene &#8211; Thanks but time to go, buddy.
Slava Voynov &#8211; GTFO

Jonathan Quick &#8211; Goalies are weird and Quick is no exception. We&#8217;re stuck with him for a long time but I&#8217;m more than okay with that.
Martin Jones &#8211; Sigh. WIP but would like to see him stay and improve. I miss Backup Bernier.

Pikma

Banned
how I'd rate the Stars:

Jamie Benn: AAAAAAA++ (I don't need to explain why do I)

John Klingberg: A+ (dude has so much potential as an offensive D and he showed it)

Tyler Seguin: A (he had a great season, too bad Dmitri Kulishit fucked it up and he wasn't there when we needed him the most)

Everyone else not named Lehtonen: B

Lehtonen: F- (because fuck him)

So yeah, I'm basically blaming Lehtonen for this year's failure, our defense constantly sucked ass at what they're supposed to do but it at least produced enough points for it to be considered decent at something.

MutFox

Banned
I was like, why is there so much loser talk in the thread now?
Clicked on the wrong thread... :(

Hopefully I'm not joining you guys too soon. :(

Top Bottom