• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

So I didn't make it past momma on 'To Pimp a Butterfly', but I really liked what I heard. King Kunta is super good. The arrangement was done by a real pro - the transition into the second chorus is one of the nicer things I've heard this year.

I'd be further along, but I listened to that song about a dozen times.

Quick

Banned
Simon, what music genre do you listen to mostly?

I've been diversifying a bit more lately, I listen to anything, but my "home" genre has been hip-hop and alternative. Indie pop has actually been decent the past couple of years. Spotify has been a great tool for finding some new music for me the past year.

Tabris

It's such a sweet gig. GF is in government. 5 weeks vacation and she's in her mid-20s. How the fuck. Private has a higher ceiling for salaries, I'd say, but apart from that government wins handily in so many ways

- Lower Salary for comparable work
- Basic corporate culture. Not the kind of place you're going to have Beer Fridays or bring your dog to the office.
- Being surrounded by non-ambitious people unless they are motivated by civil service.

vs

- Security. That's all I can think of.

I guess maybe it's a tech industry thing though, and if you didn't work in the tech industry and been used to working at companies with archaic company cultures, then perhaps government may look good. Like teaching and other civil service jobs, you should get into it for the passion of the work and civil service, because it most likely won't compare to private. Unless you're a non-ambitious person that wants to coast through their career with little advancement but no risk, then it's perfect.

Socreges

Banned
Now I know who you're talking about. I think.
Let's call him.... Sanjuro T.

Nah, that's too obvious. S. Tsubaki.

Sorry, more subtle:

5b008af86bfa17597dc162ec574fb906.jpg

1024px-Boston_Bruins.svg.png

220px-Combination_enema_and_douche_syringe.jpg

Socreges

Banned
- Lower Salary for comparable work
- Basic corporate culture. Not the kind of place you're going to have Beer Fridays or bring your dog to the office.
- Being surrounded by non-ambitious people unless they are motivated by civil service.

vs

- Security. That's all I can think of.

I guess maybe it's a tech industry thing though, and if you didn't work in the tech industry and been used to working at companies with archaic company cultures, then perhaps government may look good. Like teaching and other civil service jobs, you should get into it for the passion of the work and civil service, because it most likely won't compare to private. Unless you're a non-ambitious person that wants to coast through their career with little advancement but no risk, then it's perfect.
You have zero idea what you're talking about.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
My parents have been hounding me to get a government job for years. The perks are fewer (no free yoga, beer kegs, etc.) and the pay is likely lower, but the security is incredible (government isn't going anywhere) and the benefits are great too. The culture is supposedly perfect for a laid-back non-ambitious person like me. However, I'd probably have to go to Victoria, Ottawa, or some small town to work.

I was pretty surprised when my ex wanted to leave her government job, but it's not for everyone.

Working is government is rad. I made the switch from a private creative agency about six months ago, and love it. I work fewer hours, make more per hour (though my annual salary is about the same, considering I work less), no overtime, as many vacation days as I had after three years at my old job, a pension, and flexible working hours.

I work for a crown corp., though, which is a little different than working directly in government. A bit more beer culture, though not as much as at my old job.

ShaneB

Can't really recall seeing any of you in the Synthwave thread, but on the topic of music, figure I'll at least share what has been my favourite Summer jam the past while..

Sellorekt/L.A. Dreams - Drop Top Fun video too. I want to go to the beach.

On the topic of metal, new Symphony X album is awesome too.

Sanjuro

Can't really recall seeing any of you in the Synthwave thread, but on the topic of music, figure I'll at least share what has been my favourite Summer jam the past while..

Sellorekt/L.A. Dreams - Drop Top Fun video too. I want to go to the beach.

On the topic of metal, new Symphony X album is awesome too.

I've been listening to the new Ratatat album. Like pretty much most of their stuff, and this is coming from the guy who doesn't like music. :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRM-BRTwwZY&list=PLXtvMf5cYYJLUhbzxUJoMpb2otiVQ58BU

Sanjuro

This is new stuff to me. The name was familiar, but I had never checked them out. Getting a serious Queen vibe from that intro track. Digging it so far and Cream on Chrome.

They do a mean live show. Their new album isn't my favorite (check out Classics), still good stuff. I think a lot of rappers sample their stuff. Couldn't tell you who though.

calder

Thanks to it's recent surprise patching I started playing KOTOR 2 seriously for the first time. A few hours in, great old game.

Oh fuck I just died and lost over an hour of progress because I didn't save. Autosave has made me weak and careless.

Sanjuro

Thanks to it's recent surprise patching I started playing KOTOR 2 seriously for the first time. A few hours in, great old game.

Oh fuck I just died and lost over an hour of progress because I didn't save. Autosave has made me weak and careless.

What was the hubbub about it? Did they remaster it or something?

I never gave it a solid chance, much like RDR: Undead and Fallout: NV. The controls and engine just felt so dated, I brushed it off.

ShaneB

They do a mean live show. Their new album isn't my favorite (check out Classics), still good stuff. I think a lot of rappers sample their stuff. Couldn't tell you who though.

Will do. I'll check out their library on Google Play and add some stuff to check out. It's not the full Queen sound I got from that intro tease, but that guitar lead playing is a definite ode to Brian May.

Sanjuro

Will do. I'll check out their library on Google Play and add some stuff to check out. It's not the full Queen sound I got from that intro tease, but that guitar lead playing is a definite ode to Brian May.

Yeah, I get that. Their albums usually have a particular theme which jumps around a bit. My problem is I suck with most music. Classics and stuff I get, but when I go on dates and I'm asked who I listen to? Fuckkkkkk.

Ratatat just kind of stuck with me and is incredibly easy to listen to in the background.

ShaneB

Yeah, I get that. Their albums usually have a particular theme which jumps around a bit. My problem is I suck with most music. Classics and stuff I get, but when I go on dates and I'm asked who I listen to? Fuckkkkkk.

Ratatat just kind of stuck with me and is incredibly easy to listen to in the background.

It's all good. Music to plenty of people is just "background" stuff. Music has always been a big part of my life, so it can always feel like I've got music playing. And certainly like to think I've got varied enough tastes for myself to enjoy something for every sort of mood. Feel bad when I remember my guitar has been collecting dust for so many years.

Reallllly digging this Ratatat album. Thanks for sharing. edit: tailed off a little at the end, but still solid stuff. Will check out Classics later.

calder

What was the hubbub about it? Did they remaster it or something?

I never gave it a solid chance, much like RDR: Undead and Fallout: NV. The controls and engine just felt so dated, I brushed it off.

No, they just patched it a week or so ago so the Steam version works well. They also added Workshop integration so you can easily install all the mods that have been done over the years, namely the mods that restore the cut content and smooth out some of the jank. Few minor graphical improvements, mainly the ability to play at modern resolutions. It definitely is still an old game with a very outdated control scheme, especially when you're running around.

Huh, there IS an autosave. It's just so oddly timed my manual save from 45 minutes before I died was actually a bit more recent, despite having moved to a new level. It's not much of an autosave then.

Marvie_3

Banned

I lost almost 40 hours in Fallout 3 my first time through because I was too lazy to manually save. :/

Merguson

Banned
I've been trained to manually save every 30 minutes and have at least five saves in every RPG.

Thanks Bethesda.

Also, thanks for reminding me to play the updated KOTOR 2.

Simon, what music genre do you listen to mostly?

I've been diversifying a bit more lately, I listen to anything, but my "home" genre has been hip-hop and alternative. Indie pop has actually been decent the past couple of years. Spotify has been a great tool for finding some new music for me the past year.

I'd like to think I listen to bit of everything. I'm a guitar player so I have historically had a bias towards 'guitar music' (not wanky stuff, just guitar based). I like a lot of 80s pop and new wave. My favorite musician is Johnny Marr 'cause he's just so damn tasteful. I like punk, power pop, alt-country, indie, singer/songwriter, alternative, and rock. LCD Soundsystem was a big revelation for me, but for me it was a decade after everyone else had it.

My most played artists in the past three months or so have been The Lawrence Arms, Dramarama, The National, FloMac, and Ryan Adams. I kind of feel like I'm in a rut musically.

The National is awesome

Fuck. Yes.

The National is what Interpol could have been if they'd grown musically.

I'd love to see them live but the older I get the less I like concerts.

The last concert I went to was Weird Al.

Re: Bob Marley - Is This Love? is a legit sexing song.

Quick mane you need some reggae is your life. To start we'll hit the basics

Ini Kamoze- Debut

Damian Marley- Welcome to Jamrock

Bob Marley - Exodus, Uprising, Babylon By Bus

More toast and dancehall

Nadine Sutherland- Action

Buju Banton- The Early Years

Beenie Man- Undisputed

Sanjuro

I've only been to three concerts in my life.

Shania Twain in ~2000 or so. I barely remember it, being ~7 at the time.

Ke$ha in 2011.

Ke$ha in 2014.

Yup.

The only Montreal Candien that ever meant something to me, would not stop getting off about seeing Celiene Dion live. It was kind of amazing.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I've been trained to manually save every 30 minutes and have at least five saves in every RPG.

Thanks Bethesda.

Also, thanks for reminding me to play the updated KOTOR 2.

JRPGs trained me to do this.

*Did thing*

*FIND A FUCKING SAVE SPOT*

I've seen Radiohead twice, Morrissey, Tom Petty, AC/DC, Rush, Johnny Marr, Super Furry Animals, Hawksley Workman, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Ryan Adams, Oasis, The Guess Who, The Rolling Stones, George Carlin (I'm counting it), Bloc Party, Guns And Roses,
and Dave Matthews Band four times. Don't judge. I learned guitar in the 90s.

I've seen a few bands multiple times. Metallica, Thrice, Barenaked Ladies
(triple platinum, motherfuckers!)
, Foo Fighters, edit: Linkin Park, No Doubt, Coldplay

back in the day me and my friends always opted for general admission so we can try to be as close as we can.

Now when we get tickets we look for seats. Too old not to be comfortable. Also wear earplugs. Health first! Been invited to coachella but hate the heat. And I tend not to like festivals with the huge crowds.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I haven't seen many concerts...off the top of my head I have seen these groups/bands/singers/whatever:

Kanye, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, Lil Wayne, Mumford & Sons, The Postal Service, Stone Temple Pilots, Journey, Linkin Park..

I haven't seen many concerts...off the top of my head I have seen these groups/bands/singers/whatever:

Kanye, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, Lil Wayne, Mumford & Sons, The Postal Service, Stone Temple Pilots, Journey, Linkin Park..

Oh yeah, saw Linkin Park a few times. Took me one step closer to the edge.

Top Bottom