• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

zroid

Banned
gbxQaqG.png

NO DRAMA!

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
So Karmanos "guarantees" the Hurricanes won't become the Nordiques.

The Hurricanes have been rumored to be moving out of Carolina for a while now, but not so fast says owner Peter Karmanos.

The ‘Canes average 12, 131 fans per game in 2015-16, and many people feel that moving the team to Quebec City could be just what the doctor ordered for the franchise. Luckily for Hurricanes fans in Carolina, Karmanos isn’t one of those people.

“The Hurricanes will not become the Nordiques and I can guarantee it,” said Karmanos (quotes have been translated by PHT), per the Journal de Quebec.

“I promise, this team isn’t going to Quebec. I’m not saying that cause I have something against Quebec, but because we have ties to this market. We have an excellent lease, I love this arena and I’m really attached to this market.”

Didn't he say the same thing about the Whalers back in the day?

They're moving back to Hartford in three years.

ShaneB

Spent my work day distracted watching the Masters stream and stayed late to not miss a thing. Good day of golf, glad Spieth struggled to make the weekend interesting. Now to skip the gym and hopefully get home for the Jays game.

Good thing Brian Wilde isn't a GAF member or Creeper would go ahead and get himself banned again.

There would be words said that I can't say on here. Let me tell you that.

In Fact, I think I might call TSN 690 tomorrow and tell how displeased i am with Brian Wilde.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm really tempering my expectations on everyone.

I'm hoping Kapanen ends up being a good piece 2-3 years down the line. I can't say I have any "controversial opinions" on the Leafs prospects right now. :lol

I feel good about Kapanen now after I heard Simmons basically say he's trash and will never be an NHL player.

zroid

Banned
Gorgeous coast to coast pass by Leipsic to Arcobello for the OT winner

Marlies officially clinch the AHL's version of the President's Trophy

Yawnier

Banned
Finally it ends tonight. Who is 30th and who is 29th only thing left to settle pre-lottery. I hate you Oilers.

Six years later, after the Hall and Seguin draft both of these shitty ass teams are at the very bottom of the standings again. Started from the bottom.... and we're still at the bottom.

Praise be tank gods.

yyzjohn

Banned
Six years later, after the Hall and Seguin draft both of these shitty ass teams are at the very bottom of the standings again. Started from the bottom.... and we're still at the bottom.

Praise be tank gods.

Lol, let Drake sing it:

Started from the bottom now we're still here!

zroid

Banned

Praise be tank gods.
Pretty incredible that the Oilers and Leafs are in the exact same situation again after all these years. Of course, the Leafs made the playoffs once in that span, and the Oilers picked 1st overall 3 more times.

Quick

Banned
Pretty incredible that the Oilers and Leafs are in the exact same situation again after all these years. Of course, the Leafs made the playoffs once in that span, and the Oilers picked 1st overall 3 more times.

I'm not sure how to categorize the 2012 playoffs for the Leafs. It's either a blessing or curse.

A blessing in that we break the playoff drought and saw some actual hope in the roster, if only a small amount of it.

A curse in that it blinded everyone of the roster's faults.

But a blessing in that it blinded everyone of the roster's faults, which only magnified it further in the next couple of years and finally got this rebuild going again.

A curse in that the Bruins weren't eliminated.

zroid

Banned
I'm not sure how to categorize the 2012 playoffs for the Leafs. It's either a blessing or curse.

A blessing in that we break the playoff drought and saw some actual hope in the roster, if only a small amount of it.

A curse in that it blinded everyone of the roster's faults.

But a blessing in that it blinded everyone of the roster's faults, which only magnified it further in the next couple of years and finally got this rebuild going again.

A curse in that the Bruins weren't eliminated.

It definitely set us back, but looking at the big picture, maybe it was for the best. The Leafs weren't going to win anything in the Nonis/Poulin/Loiselle era. If not for them fucking up so badly in that 2013 off-season, the team might still to this day be trudging along in mediocrity with no direction, with a management core that knows fuck-all about what it's doing.

Yawnier

Banned
^ Yep, a lot of the moves made in the 2013 and 2014 off-season like the Clarkson and Robidas signings and the Bolland trade pretty much sealed the fate of Nonis/Poulis/Loiselle. Not to mention after that collapse in the 13-14 season where Tim Leiweke brought in Shanahan who then has brought in all his guys into the front office since then (Dubas, Hunter, Pridham, Lou), and also where Shanny cleansed the front office (scouts, etc.) a year ago of a lot of the people Burke and Nonis had brought in. As zroid said, the leafs were never going to win jack shit with Nonis and his crew of dumb asses around running the team.

I'd say some of the moves Nonis made 2-3 years ago were a blessing in disguise in hindsight. If Shanny was never brought as a result of a lot of those, that Kessel/Phaneuf/Clarkson/Bolland fatally flawed core would probably still be around trudging in mediocrity trying to make the playoffs and failing at that, and yeah Robidas would also still be playing for the leafs lol.

Some of the moves and signings that Nonis did were just as bad as JFJ imo, but we haven't had much time to reflect on them yet compared to JFJ.

and that is not even going into Nonis and his people's strategy when it came to the draft either.... Eughhhh.

Socreges

Banned
I've been trying to avoid Laine and Puljujarvi highlights

The leafs are cursed and won't win a lotto pick

One of them will probably end up in Buffalo or Montreal and haunt us for the next 10-15 years

I'm coming to terms with us trading down to 7 or 8 and taking Tkachuk
It's basically 50/50, no? Or a little better that you will?

Picking 4th is fine. The whole thrill behind placing last is that 4th is the worst you can do. Your chances in the lottery are still only minimally better than the next team.

It's actually good for the Canucks, if we don't win a lottery pick, that the Leafs or Oilers (or BJs if they're ahead of us) do. Otherwise we can get pushed down into 6th or 7th.

Top Bottom