• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Socreges

Banned
I've been thinking about what the Canucks will do this offseason.

Linden said Willie and the coaching staff are safe. But I don't know if they should be. The team overachieved last year, flamed out of the playoffs, and then woefully underachieved this year. Yes the injuries didn't help, but is a healthy lineup really going to compete for the playoffs next year? Our best prospects are already on the team, and Boeser and Demko are too far away (Demko isn't even needed yet).

These are the players currently signed for next year (excluding ELC), and their age in parentheses:
Sedin (36)
Sedin (36)
Burrows (35)
Hansen (30)
Higgins (33)
Sutter (27)
Dorsett (30)

Edler (30)
Tanev (27)
Sbisa (26)
Biega (28)

Miller (36)
Markstrom (26)

Add the players on ELC and any re-signings:
Baertschi (24)
Virtanen (20)
Horvat (21)
Granlund (23)
McCann (20)
Gaunce (22)

Tryamkin (22)
Hutton (23)

13 forwards, 6 defencemen, 2 goalies. Eerily similar team.

Now obviously there will be changes (Hamhuis re-signed, Burrows and Higgins likely bought out, McCann to spend the year in the AHL, FA signings, Matthews), but does this look like a playoff team to you?

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Sutter-Matthews-FA
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Granlund-McCann-Dorsett
Gaunce

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton
Sbisa-Tryamkin
Biega

I wouldn't be surprised if Willie walked. If they're not going to totally gut the team then something needs to change. The Pacific isn't getting any easier. Calgary will get a goalie. Edmonton can't be this bad for this long. The California teams are still strong.

But hey, they have $16M in cap space to work with (before buyouts/trades) so who knows?
Don't forget Rodin.

And lol at inserting Matthews. In our dreams.

I forgot about Rodin, and Larsen too. Hmm. Suddenly it's looking crowded.

I wonder if Benning will go full rebuild by trading Hansen (between him and Dorsett, go with the one with more trade value) and even Edler (great contract, will be too old when the team is competitive again, best return). Then they could afford a couple FA's and even re-sign Hamhuis.

Sedin-Sedin-Rodin
Top 10 pick-Sutter-FA
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett
McCann

Hutton-Tanev
Hamhuis-Sbisa
Tryamkin-Larsen
Biega

Socreges

Banned
I have this horrible feeling that the Canucks are going to end up in the 4-6 slot and taking Tkachuk regardless of who is available.

Samyy

I have this horrible feeling that the Canucks are going to end up in the 4-6 slot and taking Tkachuk regardless of who is available.

Well he's good but yea him playing so much with Dvorak and Marner makes me weary.

I think if he Leafs end up in that range they might take one of the 3 defencemen.

Yawnier

Banned
Kevin McGran hinted today in his article that when the leafs don't get a top 3 pick that they will go after Tkachuk. It's hard to predict who they will pick but its fun to speculate anyway:

No. 4: Matthew Tkachuk

Think Corey Perry. Already the talk has begun that if the Leafs don’t get the first overall pick, their next choice would be Tkachuk (six-foot-one, 195 pounds) and they could trade down from the second or third spot and still get him.

Like most people, the number of his points that come from secondary assists from playing with Marner and Dvorak scare me away from him. I just pray to the hockey gods that Hunter, Dubas, and the scouting staff are aware of this fact.

.....and it's not like he is some giant monster winger either. He's not small but not that big either, pretty average height (6 foot 1).

zroid

Banned
Been watching Mississauga vs Barrie game 3, it's in 2OT now. Pretty great.

And a goal was just called off!

edit: AND Mississauga just won it :lol

Socreges

Banned
Well he's good but yea him playing so much with Dvorak and Marner makes me weary.

I think if he Leafs end up in that range they might take one of the 3 defencemen.
Is Chychrun not universally the best dman in the draft? I don't even know who the other two would be.

zroid

Banned
Kevin McGran hinted today in his article that when the leafs don't get a top 3 pick that they will go after Tkachuk. It's hard to predict who they will pick but its fun to speculate anyway:

Like most people, the number of his points that come from secondary assists from playing with Marner and Dvorak scare me away from him. I just pray to the hockey gods that Hunter, Dubas, and the scouting staff are aware of this fact.

.....and it's not like he is some giant monster winger either. He's not small but not that big either, pretty average height (6 foot 1).

I feel like he's just saying that because he's a London Knight lol

really though Tkachuk would be a fine pick, he's really good. There's just a few red flags like you mentioned. But when you watch him he looks impressive, definitely not like a guy who's being carried.

That said, IMO, a 4th pick will go one of two ways. Leafs will probably try to trade down because that's their thing now, and there's no standout player at 4th. Of course you need to find a trade partner with a desirable pick which isn't easy. If that doesn't work, then I think Babcock will get his way this time and they'll take Chychrun, since they didn't take Hanifin last year.

Yawnier

Banned
Is Chychrun not universally the best dman in the draft? I don't even know who the other two would be.

Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachyov are all kind of on the same tier.

Bobby Mac even said last week or the week before that some scouts now have Juolevi as the #1 D in the draft.
I feel like he's just saying that because he's a London Knight lol

really though Tkachuk would be a fine pick, he's really good. There's just a few red flags like you mentioned. But when you watch him he looks impressive, definitely not like a guy who's being carried.

That said, IMO, a 4th pick will go one of two ways. Leafs will probably try to trade down because that's their thing now, and there's no standout player at 4th. Of course you need to find a trade partner with a desirable pick which isn't easy. If that doesn't work, then I think Babcock will get his way this time and they'll take Chychrun, since they didn't take Hanifin last year.

Tbh at 7th or 8th overall I'd be a lot more comfortable with Tkachuk if he is on the board then (which is possible if defence starved teams take the few top D off the board early)

To me he just seems like he could be a JVR type winger, although a bit shorter than JVR. A good top six winger who is good for like 50-55 points a season, but not a legit franchise winger or anything.

This is a really tough draft for me. Two years ago I wanted Nylander or Ehlers at 8th, last year I wanted Marner at 4th. This year I don't really know who I want in the 4 to 9 range.

Samyy

Not anymore, even Sergachev has been mentioned as the 1st D to go this draft

I'm sure they're aware, don't think we had that much info on who the Leafs were really targeting at #4 last year either.

Yawnier

Banned
I'm sure they're aware, don't think we had that much info on who the Leafs were really targeting at #4 last year either.

Last year all we had was Jeff Marek say that the leafs were debating between Marner and Provorov but that was about it IIRC.

Now with Lou as GM for this draft I wouldn't be shocked if even something like that doesn't get out from one of the insider people.

Erdrick

As a terribly disappointing season winds down, Jets fans have some bonus crushing unhappiness as the team manages to win *just* enough games down the stretch to really ruin our lottery odds. Winning two games (and an OTL) was all it took to have us go from top 3 odds to outside the top 5. There are some extremely strong tanks going on. :|

Fuck this shit man.

You expected anything less?

This has been the worst season for the team since the move here but I believe that we can only move up from here. Our prospects like Kyle Connor, Connor Hellebuyck and Brendan Lemieux and other young players like Armia and Ehlers give me plenty of hope for the next season. Not happy with how Ladd's situation went out but we probably did the best that we could in that regard.

We'll see how the team fares at the end of April and during the draft. I trust Chevy and our scouting team to continue to draft some of the best talent available. Even if we draft higher than the bottom 3, look at who we've gotten when we've been higher: Scheiffele, Trouba, Morrisey, Ehlers and Connor. Pretty damn good for 11th overall and such. Not to mention Helleybuyck,

This season has been a bitter pill to swallow for many of us Jets fans, but better times await. I'm personally very excited for Nic Petan to fully make it into the NHL. He's got plenty of potential that I'm eager to see.

Quick

Banned

Picking Tkachuk might not be the end of the world, maybe an eyebrow-raiser, but the Hunter and Marner London connection might be beneficial.

Would not mind Ass Ny if we end up drafting out of the top 3.

calder

At least all these league emails make Shanahan look pretty decent

If you believe his nonsense about how fighting was somehow more pure back in the day, sure. There's a lot of self-serving revisionist history in his comments, but at least he's more open to looking at what can be done to reduce concussions versus some of the fossils at the head office.

Honestly, the stuff on twitter made it sound like Bettman was personally smacking guys in the forehead with a hammer for kicks but his emails were pretty sane and unremarkable if obviously lawyer-y. I just didn't see his "the night is still young" comment as being that controversial, I guess if people are looking for a reason to take offense they could say it's in bad taste, but even that's a stretch.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I ran the lottery simulator 50 times last night. The Leafs had the most #1 picks.

My Canes surprisingly had the #1 pick 3 times out of 50.

yyzjohn

Banned
Canucks with 9 straight losses, they're going to pass Leafs in the ROW tiebreaker soon too if the Leafs win 2 more in regulation or OT. That is some kind of stealth late-season tank. Not honourable at all.

calder

I really fooled myself into half-expecting a top 3 pick and now the likelihood of a 5-7 overall is extra painful. :(

zroid

Banned
Canucks with 9 straight losses, they're going to pass Leafs in the ROW tiebreaker soon too if the Leafs win 2 more in regulation or OT. That is some kind of stealth late-season tank. Not honourable at all.

tbf the ROW tiebreaker probably won't come into play because there are so few games left. if Leafs do end up with more ROW than the Canucks (or, more accurately, the same number of ROW, since Leafs own the 2nd tiebreaker I believe), then it's more likely we have more points than them anyway.

just gotta hope we finish with the same point total or less and we'll be ok

Foggy

Tank watch: only 2 points away from last place and 5 points away from the 7th spot so 6th looks to be as low as it gets. Schedule left is @Isles, @Canes, home Rags, @Leafs, @Sabres, home Hawks. Last two is a back to back. When the dust settles I think they'll be 3rd or 4th worst.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wouldn't be surprised if we trade down if there's no standout guy where we draft.

Preferably I would like to see Bergevin make a big move for a top 3-4 pick, but that's so hard to pull off.

Yawnier

Banned
And are they good players or token French plugs?

PL Dubois is legit good and one of the youngest top players in this draft. Good chance that he is the top center in this draft after Matthews. He probably gets picked in the 4 to 9 range.

Julien Gauthier is a polarizing prospect. He is a power forward who is tall and is built like a tank but lots of questions surrounding his game. He probably gets picked in the 12 to 20 range most would say.

Quick

Banned
I really fooled myself into half-expecting a top 3 pick and now the likelihood of a 5-7 overall is extra painful. :(

post-41442-tina-fey-alec-baldwin-there-th-IoZn.gif

Yawnier

Banned
Laine has a killer slapshot and his positioning on the PP is similar to Ovechkin so people go crazy over that.

I actually saw a bit of Mats Sundin in him during the WJC. It's too bad he will probably end up in Edmonton though

Socreges

Banned
Puljujärvi had a great WJHC. He seems more 'firey' than Laine. Maybe he'd be the kind of guy that steps it up in the playoffs.

Coping mechanisms kicking in. When really I should be talking up Tkachuk.

Top Bottom