• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Gila

Getting back into this after being much to busy to game and wow it's really hard to start back into it. I saved right when starting the new area where you have to get to Al Mamoon and everything is killing me like crazy. Died 4 times. Do I have to grind here like mad or something? What's the strategy for this?

Edit: All my dudes are Lvl 10-11

Just run straight into Al Mamoon without encountering enemies, there you will get a second party member which will make the fights bearable. If it's still hard after that point, grind on easier enemies to gain levels then go for those harder ones in the desert

Pooya

How you get past the enemies? everything seems to move faster than you, looks pretty much impossible to avoid a fight, am I missing something?

How you get past the enemies? everything seems to move faster than you, looks pretty much impossible to avoid a fight, am I missing something?

One merit award gives you a lil speedboost while in the world map that makes it easier to run away from em. Some monsters are faster than you no matter what so you just need to avoid being seen.

I'm at almost 39 hours, and about to enter the Miasma Marshes at level 70.
That is, once I can capture a certain known Imagine at the Genie's Steppes.

Man the game is really easier to play than the DS version...at first I thought leveling was easier on the DS because you just needed to press X only at every fight. But to have to open you Magic Master EVERY FIVE MINUTES just to advance the plot quickly wore me down. When I'm playing in my bed, I don't really want to pick up the book at all times, I just want to relax.
Oh well, it's just a little rant without importance.

edit : well I entered the Marshes at level 80...absolutely wrecked everything in there.

^yup. I think most of the Nightmares destroyed me on the first try.

So I just beat
Shadar
and thought I was done with the game. Apparently not. I've read you need to be around level 80 for the very last boss fight. Is this true? I really don't want to grind for 30 levels lol.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
^yup. I think most of the Nightmares destroyed me on the first try.

So I just beat
Shadar
and thought I was done with the game. Apparently not. I've read you need to be around level 80 for the very last boss fight. Is this true? I really don't want to grind for 30 levels lol.

I was around level 70, high 60s. But I also had that OP familiar to help me fight.

If you want easy XP, fight those toko dudes. Kinda hard to find from time to time but they give you sooo much xp.

I've beaten the secret boss, and in that same fight I got the trophy for 2000 glims collected.
That was quicker than the 1000 fights one, which I don't have yet.

Yesterday got all my kaleidostones in about 1h30, and got one scroll of truth as a drop. Only 4 left then!

Now I think I'll get around to get every 1st form familiar I don't have yet, and maybe some 2nd forms too. Then it's grinding-for-XP-and-evolve-them time!

Pooya

One merit award gives you a lil speedboost while in the world map that makes it easier to run away from em. Some monsters are faster than you no matter what so you just need to avoid being seen.

I mean in dungeons, not on the world map. Dodging them seems impossible in the tight corridors and they are much faster than you.

SxP

I mean in dungeons, not on the world map. Dodging them seems impossible in the tight corridors and they are much faster than you.

If you have the spell
Veil (you get this from Horace in Perdida)
you can just cast that and run past enemies.

Alright, got my 26th Platinum trophy.
~75:45 to get it, I have 100% on everything but Creature Compendium (256 tamed / 89%) and Alchemy (121 out of 134 recipes done / 91%).

That was really fun! I just wished they had done something more with the scenes after the hidden boss, it could've been so awesome, but was instead great.

Gila

Alright, got my 26th Platinum trophy.
~75:45 to get it, I have 100% on everything but Creature Compendium (256 tamed / 89%) and Alchemy (121 out of 134 recipes done / 91%).

That was really fun! I just wished they had done something more with the scenes after the hidden boss, it could've been so awesome, but was instead great.

Wait you can platinum without completing the Alchemy one?

In fact you don't need to tame them all in battle. You can evolve them, it'll still count towards the goal.
Of course, tame everything you see if there are hearts coming from them, better to have more than miss on a creature.

For the trophy you only need 250 of them, it's way less than the maximum you can get so no sweat.

Grab every 1st form of almost all of the species, then grab either another 1st form, or a 2nd/3rd form then just evolve them. It's really easy and quick to grind on Tokotokos.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
Well, now that this game has been out for some time, what is the general consensus? I love the graphic style, and the music seems great. I've only tried the demo, which didn't give a very good first impression with the battle system, but I'm sure it gets much better as you progress further through the game, correct?
And what about the story and writing? Is it all pretty mundane "go to this town, beat a dungeon boss, then go to the next town" like the Dragon Quest games, or is there more to it than that?

Pooya

Well, now that this game has been out for some time, what is the general consensus? I love the graphic style, and the music seems great. I've only tried the demo, which didn't give a very good first impression with the battle system, but I'm sure it gets much better as you progress further through the game, correct?
And what about the story and writing? Is it all pretty mundane "go to this town, beat a dungeon boss, then go to the next town" like the Dragon Quest games, or is there more to it than that?

I had it for a while, but started seriously playing it just last week, beginning of the game is quite slow and very talky talky, that kind of killed it for me a bit, that's why I put it away for sometime.

I picked it up again, 15 hours so in, the story isn't very interesting so far, yeah it's basically that, it's just a set up to go from this place to this place and so on. I think story wise Dragon Quest games are definitely better, NNK is very very basic. Go take heart/give heart here and there, oh look we got out of that place just a volcano erupted, we have to go there because asap without much reason etc, the story flow is really bad. It's really bland, and (human) characters aren't interesting at all, animals/non-human are actually cute/charming and fun to watch. The story is obviously made only for kids, maybe too much, it's too simple, there are some emotional scenes maybe but I don't really feel anything.

I actually started enjoying the battles unlike at the beginning, it gets more interesting still not a huge fan of the combat, I like monster taming though, I like the designs overall.

Hand holding, entire game is really like that so far, the game spells everything out, lots of text boxes and characters talk a lot if you don't like that, I suggest setting the text speed to maximum. And outside of that it's following the star all the time, you can turn that off, I'd say do it, it's not really needed at all, you can easily tell where you should be going all the time.

Menus are amazing, fast and snappy, they look great, the digital wizard book is really nice too! I like what they did with it.

I'm mainly playing it because it looks really pretty, definitely the best looking jrpg yet, and feels really polished combined with the music it's been enough so far to push me and have a good time with the game. I wish the story was more engaging, the opening was better plot wise later it's just pretty dull, maybe it gets better, still the locations are quite varied and look amazing, I have fun running around and doing side quests and fill up the cards. Story being partially voice acted is quite disappointing, most of the scenes are just text only.

In fact you don't need to tame them all in battle. You can evolve them, it'll still count towards the goal.
Of course, tame everything you see if there are hearts coming from them, better to have more than miss on a creature.

For the trophy you only need 250 of them, it's way less than the maximum you can get so no sweat.

Grab every 1st form of almost all of the species, then grab either another 1st form, or a 2nd/3rd form then just evolve them. It's really easy and quick to grind on Tokotokos.

Ok thanks.

RS4-

Got the game last week, didn't start playing until yesterday. I'm at the part where I just did a few errands. Really enjoying it so far.

I've had P4G put off for a few months now lol

Pegasos123

i gave my girlfriend this game as a present because she loves the ghibli movies.
after the finished skyrim and dragons dogma she finally begun the game :)

she reached the dessert and has a lot of fun with the game

guess what i will do when she has finished ni no kuni :-D

So I finally beat the game at Lvl 72 in about 32 hours. What a great experience, and a shame there aren't more JRPGs like it this gen.

Part of me wants to do the post game missions and clean up my quests, the other part of me wants to play something else. Maybe I'll come back to this game in a month or two and do more of the post game cleaning up.

Pegasos123

So I finally beat the game at Lvl 72 in about 32 hours. What a great experience, and a shame there aren't more JRPGs like it this gen.

Part of me wants to do the post game missions and clean up my quests, the other part of me wants to play something else. Maybe I'll come back to this game in a month or two and do more of the post game cleaning up.

did you explore and grind very much or did you rush through the story?

did you explore and grind very much or did you rush through the story?

I don't feel I rushed. I spend a good hour before the final boss grinding to get to level 72(thank god for Tokotokos). I did all of the monster hunts available before I beat the game, and quite a bit of the errands.

Audioboxer

I was just thinking the other day while re-arranging on my gaming goodies, it's ridiculous what hype done to the special edition of this game. Selling for stupid amounts of money! Did they ever re-print it? I love mine, but now that time has past (game is still top dog!) I'm glad I got it for the normal RRP price.

Clott

Really enjoying myself so far, but I can't say I am head over heels in love with the game so far. I am about to go to the desert and have done all the side missions, I know this is super early in the game but I still have a lingering question in the back of my mind, when do things really pick up? or is it a smooth coast through the entire game?

I hope I can beat this around 30 hours as well, can't see myself pouring 50+ hours at this point.

Cornbread78

I'm really loving this game, but this has to be the first games I've literally fell asleep playing 6-8 times so far. I don't know what it is, but after a long day, I'll try to play late and this game puts me to sleep...

Hoplatee

Yeah, also going to ask on what to do now, I see the guy above me is around level 60 so probably the same question (sorta) but not risking to check the spoiler quotes -

I just reached the bit where everything is in Ashes. Now I knew the game would be going on longer but I am now in a rough spot. My companions are all max level so I have to them evolve again into the final stage (all around level 50 and CAN'T level without doing that) but I am not sure if I should do that and then grind some more or just stick with this and complete the game? It can't be that much longer, no? Or should I suck it up, morph them and grind grind grind? Or.. is there a lot more coming?

edit :

Eh... Yeah, the cat totally destroys me. (chars are around 50/53) Guess I will need to grind many levels before I can even attempt the cat. I love this game but the difficulty spikes are really stupid at times :/ Zzzz.

edit 2 :p

Found those little mobs that give insane XP. Farming like that ain't so bad.

Got the Platinum Trophy. This game has surpassed Mass Effect as my favorite game this Generation. I had so much fun! I really wish they could add more DLC. :-(

I have had it since January and still have not touched it. Does it stay amazing all the way through, do I need to get the game guide? I have the LE.

Got the Platinum Trophy. This game has surpassed Mass Effect as my favorite game this Generation. I had so much fun! I really wish they could add more DLC. :-(

congrats. i rather have them work on the second game. hopefully it sold enough in the west to give them the incentive to work on another.

Serandur

I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally just got my copy of Ni No Kuni a few days ago and so far, I honestly love it. The lackluster reception I saw for it on the internet had me worried and disappointed, but ultimately, though it certainly has its flaws, I find it to be a wonderful game that itches that Dragon Quest VIII-type craving I've had since, well, Dragon Quest VIII. I hope it sold well and will get a localized sequel in the west.

Anyone else notice on the desert area light green blobs at the bottom of the screen I thought It could have been my tv but this screenshot shoes its the game?
screenshot_ps3_ni_no_kuni_wrath_of_the_white_witch026.jpg

Amon37

checked the op and saw nothing and the thread is huge also didn't notice anything on Google, I've tried 3 the times to get into glittering grotto and the game just hangs on the loading screen.

Has this happened to anyone else? Using the disc version.

I platinum'd this fantastic game this morning clocking in at 64 hours.

A lot less than some trophy guides suggested but that goes to proof my OCD of collecting everything along the way goes a long way with these types of trophies.

I would absolutely die for another Ni No Kuni with more heart types and a more fleshed out "pokemon" experience. I really, really hope another one is on the cards.

Anyone else notice on the desert area light green blobs at the bottom of the screen I thought It could have been my tv but this screenshot shoes its the game?
screenshot_ps3_ni_no_kuni_wrath_of_the_white_witch026.jpg

If I had to guess a bug in their full screen processing when pulling in pixels for the kernel near the edge; probably hidden on most displays because of overscan.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Finally digging into this game, about 20 hours in and loving it. It took a while to get going, especially combat, but the story and combat are finally great. I'm not very good at it, but I'm making it through.

I think I'm about halfway through the game, not much of a spoiler but I'm
looking for the first stone for the wand in the ice town
. That about right?

Le-mo

I got to the fairy village and haven't touched it since. It's not boring in any sense but I just don't have the urge to finish it.

I platinum'd this fantastic game this morning clocking in at 64 hours.

A lot less than some trophy guides suggested but that goes to proof my OCD of collecting everything along the way goes a long way with these types of trophies.

I would absolutely die for another Ni No Kuni with more heart types and a more fleshed out "pokemon" experience. I really, really hope another one is on the cards.

Amen! You got the Platinum fast! My playtime was 150+ hours, but a lot of that was the game just being on while I did other things.

Top Bottom