• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Saprol

I'd rush to get my copy but the local power company notified us yesterday that they were gonna mess with the lines outside for a while. Not sure if they'll stick to schedule and restore power when they said they would. :/

Alright, nice. Good lookin' out bro.

And to the other dude where the Gamestop employee was like "well I guess I COULD give you this one (steelcase)" The employee at my Gamestop literally did the same exact bullshit.

Does it make you guys mad that I didn't even pre-order the steel case and the employee just gave me one when I asked nicely? ;p

Well this will definitely stand as this generation's most pleasant surprise. The Mafia of the current crop of consoles. I'm completely loving it.

Are most people playing in Japanese audio or english?

Ricker

Played up to the demo part,I will gain a few levels before I beat on that demo Boss...now that they explain how everything works and I know I can move around and L1 my familiar before his stamina meter runs out etc etc,it should go soooo much better...something I just want to make sure though that they dont really explain is when Oliver attacks,he always(so far)does 3 swings with his wand right? there is no way of getting out of that once you comitted?...

Game is gorgeous and presentation is very slick...playing in English with subs...

Does it make you guys mad that I didn't even pre-order the steel case and the employee just gave me one when I asked nicely? ;p

No cause I got mine hehe,but you where very lucky.

FINALBOSS

Banned

Nope :eek:.

TBH I probably won't even use mine. Not the biggest fan of steelcases..I'm exclusively OCD when it comes to my PS3 games. I like seeing one constant black bar go all across my shelf.

Eusis

I wonder if it's possible to just walk in and not get the game at all? Maybe I'll test tomorrow, give everyone a day to get the case and if people aren't coming in just grab any spares they're willing to throw at me.

Though the real reason I'd be going is to shift the credit over to FE.
Got mine at Best Buy. Only one more left. What's the consensus on the availability of this? Will the digital release curb the demand?
Game's big as hell, so I'm thinking possibly not. Plus some people aren't comfortable with DD, want to be able to resell, or literally can't download it (especially with that size).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I ended up buying the guide because I'm a sucker. Do you know how long it's been since I bought a guide? I probably won't use it because I don't like using guides on my first playthroughs for anything, but it's really freaking nice.

dsc00441d1ds7.jpg

Fuck, I have some calculations to finish off but I wanna start! And I don't usually play consoles until Friday night! :|

But on the other hand, I said I'd try Mad Father first, so I've gotta stick to that. Maybe later tonight with Ni No Kuni, then.

Andrew.

Banned
Fuck you bosses. Always, always, ALWAYS on release day for games I get hyped late for, I always get stuck at fucking work for ridiculously stupid reasons.

DJIzana

Couldn't have made a better purchase for the start of 2013!

The world map is amazing, combat... gah! I could just stare at all the detail they've put into this game for hours! :O

I ended up buying the guide because I'm a sucker. Do you know how long it's been since I bought a guide? I probably won't use it because I don't like using guides on my first playthroughs for anything, but it's really freaking nice.

I always buy the guide when it's a long, complex RPG that I'm buying. Those are about the only games I buy guides for, ever. I was going to get it from Amazon, but apparently they sold out of their first batch already, so I just bought it from Gamestop when I picked up my game. Cost me about $10 less than the $39.99 list price.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

Fuck, I have some calculations to finish off but I wanna start! And I don't usually play consoles until Friday night! :|

But on the other hand, I said I'd try Mad Father first, so I've gotta stick to that. Maybe later tonight with Ni No Kuni, then.
That's pretty much how I decide to buy a guide or not. I loved poring over them as a kid, since I didn't own the actual games. So now, I buy a guide every once in a while if they're really packed and they look really good. I'll always regret not buying the Bayonetta one! Don't ever use them though. =)

Brannon

Sooo, awesome game. And the best in-game book/manual thing EVER in my fact. One question and I'm sure I already know the answer, but do the keyholes on the book map correspond to buried treasure?

Because that would be so cool if so.

Does anyone know much about the familiars? Will some become obsolete as the game progresses, and in time for new ones to take their place?

I really liked the demo but it felt very chaotic compared to how I remember Final Fantasy XII being. I like the idea of scripting my team to act in a specific way but can't help but feel that it doesn't have the same depth.

Maybe that's just 'cause I spent a long time with XII?

Branson

At least 18 GB, and as such would require 36 GB open to install it. Unless everyone moved to 160 GB minimum that will be a problem, and it'll be a tight fit on those anyway especially if they have PS+.
Wow what the fuck. Lol. I'm used to decently sized games because of steam and all but damn. That's a lot of space for my old 60gb with a 120 in it. I'm curious about this game though. Haven't played a Jrpg in a while.

zeopower6

It looks as though Griffy is indeed in Wal-Mart copies of the game. Don't know how many of them have them, but he's in there! Most reports were Canadian though, haha.

So I've been playing this game for about 4 hours now and finally got to my first non-tutorial dungeon, and I have 2 questions. These aren't about the game, but more of curiosity.

1) What is the voice actors in this game's accent? I'm terrible with accents so I'm just wondering.

2) Does this game specify at what timeframe this game take's place? I don't think the game mentioned it, but I keep hearing characters say "neat-o," "jeepers," and "golly." Either this is set in the 70's or they kinda just made the dialogue like that.

Anybody know.

zeopower6

It was in mine too. Got it from Future Shop.

Futureshop had Flutterby though, didn't it? lol

1) What is the voice actors in this game's accent? I'm terrible with accents so I'm just wondering.

2) Does this game specify at what timeframe this game take's place? I don't think the game mentioned it, but I keep hearing characters say "neat-o," "jeepers," and "golly." Either this is set in the 70's or they kinda just made the dialogue like that.

I remember the approach was "American/European" mix, but it's kind of distinctly more European. Apparently Oliver's actor is faking an American accent!

I don't believe there's ever a timeframe mentioned when the game takes place, but judging from the events in the beginning and the overall atmosphere, maybe 1970s/1980s? (EDIT: nope totally wrong, since it's the 50s)
I'm mainly going off that pretty nice but still kind of ghetto go-kart that he was riding with his friend and that sign outside of the town lol

I could have sworn that you can get those controls to show on the screen in battle somehow. I know I've seen it there before.

They do show on screen in battle in the full game on the bottom left of the screen, I believe.

NamcoBandaiEU posted a list of the English cast a while ago on Twitter if anyone wants it. They all seem to be British actors from TV.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/knbvuc

Main Cast
Adam Wilson - Oliver
Brian Protheroe - Shadar
Jennifer Bryden -
Cassiopeia
/White Witch
Lauren Mote - Esther/
Myrtle
Louis Tamone - Swaine
Steffan Rhodri – Drippy

Not sure about spoilers for characters but I'll just be safe and spoiler them, haha.

Anybody know.

Drippy is Welsh. I think a lot of people are going to be wondering this too. I think the others are mainly just typical British English accents? No idea if the voice actors are actually English, though. Probably not.

Also I don't think they really had a time frame in mind. At least, I should hope they didn't. I just figure they've written it like that to add to the charm.

I picked this up this morning and played for like 15 mins, already I was pulled in by the games charm. Left to work and I am already fiending for this game.

Those who are far ahead, how much better does it get? B/c like I said 15 mins in and I love it.

I always buy the guide when it's a long, complex RPG that I'm buying. Those are about the only games I buy guides for, ever. I was going to get it from Amazon, but apparently they sold out of their first batch already, so I just bought it from Gamestop when I picked up my game. Cost me about $10 less than the $39.99 list price.

Even for big RPGs I find them pretty useless, given the way games are designed now. They're pretty much purely collector's items for games without art books. On a related note, I just turned off the waypoint star in the options for like the first time ever because I feel like I'm starting to play all my games as "follow the map marker" recently.

I picked this up this morning and played for like 15 mins, already I was pulled in by the games charm. Left to work and I am already fiending for this game.

Those who are far ahead, how much better does it get? B/c like I said 15 mins in and I love it.

They keep layering in new systems, the combat gets much better, and the environments get a ton more interesting. Can't get enough.

zeopower6

new trailer? to me at least.

someone behind me at work said wow that looks pretty cool.

Two Worlds Trailer

Looks like it was just posted today so it is pretty new! :) It actually looks like it could be one of the Japanese CMs remade for the Western version.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/17..._white_witch_behind_the_scenes_interview.html

Here's an indepth interview from a few days ago.

Hotroit/Motorville is set in the 50s/60s and is based on an American town 'in the heyday of the auto industry'. for anyone who was wondering.

I love this part of the interview:
There are no plans to date, but if we were to create a sequel, it might be interesting to create a Ni no Kuni with an adult protagonist.

Futureshop had Flutterby though, didn't it? lol

I remember the approach was "American/European" mix, but it's kind of distinctly more European. Apparently Oliver's actor is faking an American accent!

I don't believe there's ever a timeframe mentioned when the game takes place, but judging from the events in the beginning and the overall atmosphere, maybe 1970s/1980s?
I'm mainly going off that pretty nice but still kind of ghetto go-kart that he was riding with his friend and that sign outside of the town lol

They do show on screen in battle in the full game on the bottom left of the screen, I believe.

NamcoBandaiEU posted a list of the English cast a while ago on Twitter if anyone wants it. They all seem to be British actors from TV.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/knbvuc

Main Cast
Adam Wilson - Oliver
Brian Protheroe - Shadar
Jennifer Bryden -
Cassiopeia
/White Witch
Lauren Mote - Esther/
Myrtle
Louis Tamone - Swaine
Steffan Rhodri – Drippy

Not sure about spoilers for characters but I'll just be safe and spoiler them, haha.

Drippy is Welsh. I think a lot of people are going to be wondering this too. I think the others are mainly just typical British English accents? No idea if the voice actors are actually English, though. Probably not.

Also I don't think they really had a time frame in mind. At least, I should hope they didn't. I just figure they've written it like that to add to the charm.

Thanks, I kinda got the British feel from their voices when I was listening to them. So far I don't think I've encountered any annoying voices so that's a good start.

Yeah I think they may have just tried to add that type of dialogue to add to the charm too. If I did have to put this in a timeframe though I'd probably choose the 70s or 80s because of that go-kart and those sayings. I mean come on, who says "jeepers" anymore.

Also I'd like to mention to folks that at my GS I got the last copy. The GS employee told me that if i didn't reserve the game that I wouldn't have got it because it sold out. He said he was surprised by how good it saled and how he wasn't expecting that, but it's pretty cool to know. I also got the steelbox which I wasn't expecting, though I'm not gonna use it due to me having to force the disc out of it to play it. I'll use the regular game case to keep the game in, but I'll just keep the box for show.

Localizers often use different types of English language accents when the Japanese source contains different regional dialects. Not sure if that's the case here, though.

jwk94

So I noticed that side-quest givers are red on the mini-map while everybody else is blue. Oh, and the King's door is a paw! Has anybody found the girl's earring yet?

Anyone else having trouble redeeming the Gold Hurly DLC from Prima's website? When I enter the code it just tells me "Code not recognized."

Huh.

zeopower6

I will go Walmart and straight out buy this, will there be dlc????

All of it is preorder DLC so far. We don't know if it will be available on PSN! :(

Not sure if this will apply to you, but copies at Wal-Mart have the Amazon.com Familiar inside it. Good luck! Hope you get him.

So is this a super "missables" old school type of RPG where if you don't follow a guide you are going to be screwed? Or can I just jump in blind and free and not have to worry about missing out on X weapon because I didn't trek back to Y town to randomly talk to Z old man?

zeopower6

So is this a super "missables" old school type of RPG where if you don't follow a guide you are going to be screwed? Or can I just jump in blind and free and not have to worry about missing out on X weapon because I didn't trek back to Y town to randomly talk to Z old man?

There are no missables in this game. Well, there are some scenarios/bestiary entries I guess you can miss but it's more because you progress too far to experience something there in that specific place... or something. (I don't want to spoil lol but basically it's not a big deal. If you must know though
It involves zombies
.)

Anyone else having trouble redeeming the Gold Hurly DLC from Prima's website? When I enter the code it just tells me "Code not recognized."

Huh.

http://www.primagames.com/games/ni-no-kuni/answers/539

A LOT of people are having this issue.

Durante

I finally managed to buy and redeem 3 $20 PSN codes from Amazon, even though for some reason it asked for my credit card details every single time. Really drives home the price :p

Only Grace Chen can stop me now.

I'm also interested in knowing this.

There are no missables in this game. Well, there are some scenarios/bestiary entries I guess you can miss but it's more because you progress too far to experience something there in that specific place... or something. (I don't want to spoil lol but basically it's not a big deal. If you must know though
It involves zombies
.)

DR must run the page too.

It involves zombies
.)

Thanks for the response! Just what I wanted to hear. I never care about bestiary type stuff or trophy stuff, generally just things that actually effect gameplay (sidequests, weapons, items, characters, etc), so this sounds perfect

Top Bottom