• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Aeana

Two of the three most major complaints from JP players were poor campanion AI and difficulty spikes, sad you guys are running into both of them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Two of the three most major complaints from JP players were poor campanion AI and difficulty spikes, sad you guys are running into both of them.

I've pretty much accepted playing any jrpg on easy if it uses any kind of active combat.

BearPawB

Banned
I can deal with difficulty spikes. And the rev3 review of Max's made me think once i get that "everyone defense" button, all of my problems with the combat will be solved.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The game is beautiful, but it makes it extra jarring when you see a muddy/low texture sign. If only the console just had a little more power.

Help! I'm on the first dungeon (well,
the sewers under Ding Dong Dell
) and I'm getting my ass kicked in pretty much every fight. Well I'm losing more HP than I would like. You can only use one familiar at a time right? By the time my first guys attack animation is over I've taken a bunch of hits. Also my second guy sucks it seems, as he psyches up he gets hit a bunch. What am I doing wrong?

I've pretty much accepted playing any jrpg on easy if it uses any kind of active combat.
Hmm maybe I should do this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I wonder how they found the story though.

Aeana

Help! I'm on the first dungeon (well,
the sewers under Ding Dong Dell
) and I'm getting my ass kicked in pretty much every fight. Well I'm losing more HP than I would like. You can only use one familiar at a time right? By the time my first guys attack animation is over I've taken a bunch of hits. Also my second guy sucks it seems, as he psyches up he gets hit a bunch. What am I doing wrong?

Hmm maybe I should do this.
Have you fed your familiars any treats? The monkey guy likes ice cream, and it raises his evasion. Also, consider guarding right when you bring a familiar out at the start of a battle if you didn't get the advantage, and also pay attention to the signs of enemies and your familiars. There's a weakness triangle. Sun > moon > star > sun ... So bring out your monkey to deal with sun dudes, use your mite to fight moon guys.

Have you fed your familiars any treats? The monkey guy likes ice cream, and it raises his evasion. Also, consider guarding right when you bring a familiar out at the start of a battle if you didn't get the advantage, and also pay attention to the signs of enemies and your familiars. There's a weakness triangle. Sun > moon > star > sun ... So bring out your monkey to deal with sun dudes, use your mite to fight moon guys.
Ok thanks ill try all this. I fed my first guy every treat I found, but ill give ice cream to the lemur in the future.

Jarate

Banned
anybody else prefer the English VA's to the Japanese?

Drippy's VA in English is incredible, and while Oliver isnt the best, it's still not that bad.

Got mine from Gamefly a day earlier than I expected. Hopefully after two 14 hour days tonight and tomorrow I'll be in a great mood for curling up with this for the weekend.

zeopower6

anybody else prefer the English VA's to the Japanese?

Drippy's VA in English is incredible, and while Oliver isnt the best, it's still not that bad.

They put a lot into the dub for sure. I mean they even remade the theme song of this game and had a British choir boy sing it, lol.

Wunder

Nice to see some other posts about combat later down the road, looks like my suspicions on how it evolves are true - which is a bit disappointing.

5 hours in and just completed everything in Ding Dong Dell. Game is still magical.

Gotta say, all these respawning enemies are making me worry I'll be overleveled. Should I be, or is the game still challenging regardless?

zeopower6

5 hours in and just completed everything in Ding Dong Dell. Game is still magical.

Gotta say, all these respawning enemies are making me worry I'll be overleveled. Should I be, or is the game still challenging regardless?

It would probably be a better idea to be overleveled than caught off guard after you enter a new area from what I've seen.

Aeana

If you get too high, enemies will start running away on the field, so if that happens just quit fighting and it should even out. But yeah, if you're doing everything, you'll find yourself at quite an advantage, especially if you're battling optimally.

Mikey Jr.

I was in the same boat as you. Was killing everything with relative ease. I then progressed to the next major area/field, and promptly got spanked, ie a difficulty spike. So i know already you arent overleveled, haha.

Loving this game so far, just about finished in Ding Dong Dell.

That's where I am. I'm about to move on to the next town. I'm only playing a couple hours per day because of work and everything, but I can't wait for the weekend when I can really make some headway. Love the game so far, though.

madhtr

Goodness gracious.... I am addicted to catching these. I fought like 20 Green Bunchers before I had a chance to do so, though... I see this is gonna take forever to get all 400 of them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It'll never happen because they're going for the kid/Pokemon demo, but I'd love if a Ni No Kuni 2 used big monsters instead of these familiars. The bosses in this game look so much cooler than anything I have.

zeopower6

It'll never happen because they're going for the kid/Pokemon demo, but I'd love if a Ni No Kuni 2 used big monsters instead of these familiars. The bosses in this game look so much cooler than anything I have.

Well, if we do get a sequel, it could be with an adult protagonist... would be interesting if all of the Familiars 'grew up' as well into fiercer forms.

M.W.

I am. Most standard guys are pretty easy, but it's not like I'm always at full health. Bosses are challenging but nothing too rough.

Thanks for the response. I'm probably picking this up soon, and I'll stick with easy mode. I've never been good at JRPG's, but this game looks so fun and quite addicting.

I could see rating the game lowly if you were expecting a groundbreaking story or something that doesn't play like a 90s era j-rpg..

Personally, I'm enjoying the throwback to an older time with modern graphics and a fully orchestrated soundtrack.

madhtr

I could see rating the game lowly if you were expecting a groundbreaking story or something that doesn't play like a 90s era j-rpg..

Personally, I'm enjoying the throwback to an older time with modern graphics and a fully orchestrated soundtrack.

I never really understood rating it for what other past games have done rather than what the game did. If it was fun, who cares if another game did it first. Just my opinions, though...

Top Bottom