• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata now on GamePass

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Another game got devalued. It's not my cup of tea, but someone might want to play this:
Link
78388272-9dd4-4dec-b715-7d1f3044afbc.jpg

M1chl

Everyone should play this, or at least give it a go. Seriously, even if the otaku-ish visual appearance (at first) is off putting, you really need to play this.
What is putting me off, is mz time with first Nier, I got me depressed how barren and unfun it was. Well I at least going to watch a review : )

nowhat

What is putting me off, is mz time with first Nier, I got me depressed how barren and unfun it was. Well I at least going to watch a review : )
I mean, if depression is something you're not for... the plot goes to places. But a friendly piece of advice for all newcomers - and yes, bring out the pitchforks, everyone here is the gitgudest player evah, amirite, so why do I even bother - there is no autosave. The game really hammers that point home later on. But the first time you're able to save is after the first boss, some hour into the game, which can be a bit infuriating. If you switch the game to easy at first, no one will ever know (you can switch it back later). There are no trophies/achievements related to difficulty.

M1chl

I mean, if depression is something you're not for... the plot goes to places. But a friendly piece of advice for all newcomers - and yes, bring out the pitchforks, everyone here is the gitgudest player evah, amirite, so why do I even bother - there is no autosave. The game really hammers that point home later on. But the first time you're able to save is after the first boss, some hour into the game, which can be a bit infuriating. If you switch the game to easy at first, no one will ever know (you can switch it back later). There are no trophies/achievements related to difficulty.
Will do thanks : )

Not available on all markets yet? Germany doesn't have it listed.
Well I officially received notification from GamePass app, minute ago. Besides provided link if you stay on Czech page you can downloaded from there, no?

Last edited:
Played 10 hours of it before losing interest. Really didn't get the hype.

Also, I nearly quit after dying at the end of that bullshit tutorial and having to do the whole fucking thing again from scratch. I didn't appreciate that at all.

Yessss! Almost bought this in the Sony sale 2 weeks ago, but had enough to play. MS keeps coming through with the Game Pass additions. So excited to play this!

kbear

If I want to be able to follow and invest in the story do I have to play the first? Nier from 2010

I guess I could Youtube it if need be

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This game is a work of art. Definitely worth checking out. The music, boss battles, and the world are wonderful. Nier has always left a very good lasting impression on me. I still think back to playing the original. The world music is still stuck in my head.

VertigoOA

Banned
Tried it twice over the years. Good game probably. Definitely think it’s overhyped. Found it pretty boring and empty mostly.

Last edited:

nowhat

If I want to be able to follow and invest in the story do I have to play the first? Nier from 2010

I guess I could Youtube it if need be
I tried to watch some recap videos before playing this, and that just left me more confused. Go in blind, you'll be fine. You may miss some "cameos" (or characters from the previous game), but their significance (or lack thereof) to the main events is quite minimal.

Naked Lunch

A truly great and unique game. While I personally doubt ill ever buy/use gamepass - this really shows the range xbox gamepass will cover. Even obscure (its not that obscure being a multi million dollar seller) Japanese titles have a chance of popping up.

Last edited:

GymWolf

a very good game with shitty performance and a slightly overrated plot\ost (yes i played the campaign 3-4 times to get all the story bits), also cute asses with great camera angles :messenger_sunglasses:

i really liked the combat but it was little bit too simple\not deep enough.

i still hope for a remake of the first one that a lot of people consider better than this sequel.

Last edited:

Roberts

Name a Japanese RPG(-ish) game where you can't fish.

(and how is ReCore comparable in any way?)

You got me there about fishing as I'm not really familiar with Japanese RPGs - just not really my thing. Speaking of comparisons: both games take place in an open post-apocalyptic world, both are third person action games with rpg elements, both have female protagonists and a robot companion. Both games need you to use different weapons for different enemies. It has been a long time since I played both, but you can probably find a few more similar things about both games.

Last edited by a moderator:

nowhat

a very good game with shitty performance and a slightly overrated plot\ost
The performance is not stellar (although most of the issues crop up in world traversal - while annoying, it doesn't affect combat that often). And opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one - you may not like the story and that's fine (seriously though, how you find the plot is entirely subjective).

But the OST. HOW DARE YOU. Seriously, it's god-tier. It's the thing that ultimately sold me on this game (just playing the demo, I didn't play the original NieR or the Drakengard series), and it's the one thing I keep coming back to. I so wish it was in Spotify.

I just finished this on PC (didn't get every ending, but did get the "main" endings)

This game plays so well, though I wouldn't call it especially deep the combat is satisfying with the speed and precision of the controls (if you have a controller with paddles, use them, it makes double dash fling jumps super easy). The camera switches to go top-down or side-scrolling introduced a lot of fun gameplay into 3rd-person ARPG. Invisible walls are everywhere which was mildly annoying.

Story was exactly what I expected from anything Yoko Taro touches. Weird, but good weird.

It's a really bad looking game, as bad looking as Nier was last gen. Even mods couldn't fix it much over improving the texture maps and fixing the color a little. Given that, the world still had a great feel to it and the art direction was great.

Music was top-tier, so many great examples in the game.

Solid 9/10

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My personal game of the generation, good to see more people get to play this game. I'm actually really glad to see Yoko Taro getting recognition he deserves, I have been fan of his work since first Drakengard but he wasn't well known back then.

Top Bottom