• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I haven't played the original game so wouldn't be surprised if this is a call back to that but I really love the song that plays
at Kaine's shack? I think that's the name. The place Emil shows you with all the Lunar Tears.

Yes, that's a song from the original. But fret not, it probably is the most beautiful song in the game by far, that's why I excluded them :)

Taruranto

C route

Now I'm back to doing fetch quests with
A2 so they can destroy the machine village
and try to make me feel sorry for them, come on. =_=

Also about Devola and Popola:
Their sub-quest kinda makes me fell weird about some parts of Nier's story. The way they talk about the old Popola and Devola, it looks like there is some kind of Android-government going on. You would think they would have placed androids all over the area in Nier 1 to "help" Nier given how important that area was.

Route C help
Is there any way to save before the bossfight in the second resource unit? Please don't tell me I have to do all those hacking minigames again just to be killed in two hits by the boss :/

There were so many dead bodies near that boss.

Ruff

Checked out this Lirik guys stream, the chat had some pretty amazing reactions to Simones boss fight and the music. Hopefully some good exposure to a crowd who don't immediately cry "weeb shit".

Now I'm wondering what the requirements are to E.
Mine popped in the credits to D. I'm guessing I just answered right.

Just
beat C and D and pick yes

pa22word

After like 9 hours into the game I still can't figure out whether or not the game's RPG mechanics are backheavy (FFXII) or front heavy (Dark Souls). I'm tearing through the game but just hit a sidequest with really highly leveled enemies that I couldn't do much damage to unless I just waylay them for multiple mins. Neither is really a problem for me or anything, just need to know if I should change focus a little because I went into it expecting a totally front heavy game that was barely if at all reliant on its backend systems.

Also, what's the deal with materials? I need a bunch of stuff to upgrade my pod and weapons that I have no idea where in the world I'm supposed to pick this stuff up at. I put a like +30 drop rate on my rig but still don't even hit the lvl1 upgrade requirements for the pod...?

Should I just dump off everything that says "can be sold for money", or should I hold onto some for quest purposes? Also, should I dump all the text materials for cash? Like the tech books, dictionaries, and such. The game doesn't have the "can be sold for money" detail on them but I've got a ton of them just sitting in my inventory that don't seem to have any other usage.

AHA-Lambda

Route A done now :)
Took me about 12 hours on normal (didn't do many of the side quests at all, found them very tedious so far, but I'll try them again next time around)

I'm still surprised how relatively little plot there has been so far, I do trust it picks up in that regard?

Jiraiza

Route A done now :)
Took me about 12 hours on normal (didn't do many side quests at all, I'll try them again next time around)

I'm still surprised how relatively little plot there has been so far, I do trust it picks up in that regard?

Well, if the game had no plot, I wouldn't expect the OT thread to be 290+ pages and it to have its own spoilers thread.

So yes.

AHA-Lambda

Well, if the game had no plot, I wouldn't expect the OT thread to be 290+ pages and it to have its own spoilers thread.

So yes.

Glad to hear it, I mean it's got 5 main endings as far as I know as well after all, but I'm still just rather surprised at how light the plot has been so far is all =/

Jiraiza

Glad to hear it, I mean it's got 5 main endings as far as I know as well after all, but I'm still just rather surprised at how light the plot has been so far is all =/

Everyone says that at first.

Until they put on the ma—finish route B and start route C.

Baalzebup

Yeah I just hacked him and saw his level. Fuuuuuck that lol. What's a good way to level up anyway?
Well, the
golden rabbit at the entrance to the amusement park is the absolutely best one, especially if you hack him. The thing is, it is a lv 80 mob itself, so you might be undeleveled to even start XP farming it...

Yeah I just hacked him and saw his level. Fuuuuuck that lol. What's a good way to level up anyway?

Not sure, honestly. I just went through doing everything, sidequests and whatnot and managed to overlevel the end of the game and then played Route E soooooooo...

Can we all agree on the next OT title:

NieR: Automata [A] |OT| or not to e

Excuse me, but we already decided on

Nier: Automata IOT2I THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just started playing the game and love the opening. Feels like Ergheiz from the Playstation 1 and was a great way to start but after getting a good way through the level I died and was booted back to the start screen with a snarky message about machines dominating the earth. Is there no way to save my progress in the actual mission? Its a little inconvenient to have to redo the entire intro again and again.

Philippo

Just started playing the game and love the opening. Feels like Ergheiz from the Playstation 1 and was a great way to start but after getting a good way through the level I died and was booted back to the start screen with a snarky message about machines dominating the earth. Is there no way to save my progress in the actual mission? Its a little inconvenient to have to redo the entire intro again and again.

Nope. If it really frustrates you, just turn down the difficulty down and bump it up again after the prologue.

MoonFrog

Okay, just got C,D, and E. Got W today too, so ABCDEGKTW. Wonder what the other joke endings are.

Only 48/60 quests although I know some I left behind.

Edit: expanded impressions: Overall, I liked the game a lot, but I wish there'd been stronger
2B/A2 style content. Probably exacerbated by me doing most of the side quests on b ending route. Also really hated how they handled multiple characters functionally. Should have been a way to not have to swap gear when you switch characters, I.e. gear sets for particular characters you could save. Especially when character segments are unpredictable in length and sometimes you switch set just to be immediately sent back. Also, I liked seeing 9Ss perspective, especially as hacking let him know things 2B didn't, but the game could really use more environments opening up in B route and C-E route or a more efficient way of telling its story, which would go against the ending design, so I'll stick with the new environments angle. So yeah, main complaints are a) too light on good character action fights, b) zones get overused/exhausted, c) awkward game design around character switching. Also, tbh the 2E thing is pretty vague. Laid the ground for it clearly in a ending but...could have used some exploration of that. Also, who was supposed to combat the machines after Yorha?! A bit confused as to what was working in the background to make use of the whole yorha is meant to fail twist.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
5 hours in and finally unlocked fast travel. I was getting close to giving up so the relief is palpable. This game has some of the most boring environments in gaming history and being forced to trudge through them over and over again was getting tiresome.

Kuraudo

Banned
Not sure, honestly. I just went through doing everything, sidequests and whatnot and managed to overlevel the end of the game and then played Route E soooooooo...

Excuse me, but we already decided on

Nier: Automata IOT2I THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

I think you mean

Nier: Automata IOT2I KONO MAMA JA DAME

MoonFrog

E spoilers: Got to say though
fighting the credits, ending and team to get a non-tragic ending was pretty cool, as was teaming up with fellow players to do it.

I'm playing through this slowly but having a blast. Man I just finished The Wandering Couple quest-line.
Jeez that's grim, she was so mater a fact about it too. Also 50k down the drain lol

Stuff about killing god...iirc.
Are you suggesting that the developers are the god she wants to kill?

Actually the player is God. You are the one forcing things to happen. That is why deleting your save frees them from the meaningless cycle of death and misery.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Difficulty affects neither trophies nor content. It's purely there to suit the game to your tastes.

Ahh well that's good to know. Haven't checked the trophies out for spoiler reasons. Well I'll set it to easy for the intro and when I can finally save I'll turn it back to hard, my usual go to mode for a lot of action games. In fact why am I still here, I'm off to do so now!

Demoskinos

I tweeted a thank you message at Yoko Taro on twitter and he followed me back. :)

Granted, he does follow like 13.5k people but still I'm glad that he saw my message.

Top Bottom