• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

convo

Does Liam like the game? I mean, I know he's a huge Nier fan so I want to know how this ranks for him.

Absolutly, being a Nier fan only makes him lose his shit more often.Being a fantastic Platinum game sure helps. It all depends how it will all end to make clear where it stands story wise for him(there is a lot left to do), but he has enjoyed this game a lot. Side-quest being so much easier to track has made him very happy but since some can be failed he was a bit mad when it happened so he's extra careful with saving often.

Vic_Viper

Does Liam like the game? I mean, I know he's a huge Nier fan so I want to know how this ranks for him.

I was watching a bit of his videos and it looked like he already beat it once, is that right? was just skipping through so I didnt see when the switch happened. Not sure if he did something that just activated a special ending part way through the game or something. Seems kinda short, but I understand replaying is a huge part of the game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
yes they do unlock as fast travel points
yes some can be failed and if you progress far enough into the story certain quest get locked out as well, leaving them for the when you do other endings. Not certain if things can get really permanantly fucked
Save at every corner to be save.
Thank you. I guess I'll
keep playing the main story until fast travel unlocks. Hopefully that won't close any side quests.
Bad performance? On the Pro too? I might just get the Steam version then.
Granted I'm not that far in, but I wouldn't say "bad performance" on the pro, just a milisecond stutter once you're in a new part of an area when (I assume) stuff loads in.

convo

Liam's been playing on the pro and framerate problems hasn't been a topic of discussion at all(excpet for his elgato shiting its bed every 4 hours) and the fights that happened looked crazy enough where you would really notice.
edit:
I was watching a bit of his videos and it looked like he already beat it once, is that right? was just skipping through so I didnt see when the switch happened. Not sure if he did something that just activated a special ending part way through the game or something. Seems kinda short, but I understand replaying is a huge part of the game.
Oh it's not over until it's over. Getting one ending might look suspiciously like one with credits but you really only started completing the story.

Labolas

Absolutly, being a Nier fan only makes him lose his shit more often.Being a fantastic Platinum game sure helps. It all depends how it will all end to make clear where it stands story wise for him(there is a lot left to do), but he has enjoyed this game a lot. Side-quest being so much easier to track has made him very happy but since some can be failed he was a bit mad when it happened so he's extra careful with saving often.

Okay sweet, because he's the one who introduced me to Nier. So glad hear he's loving it so far.

Anyone that is playing the game have a suggestion on the the most painless way to start playing?

Buy $80 amazon JPN PSN and buy the game I am guessing?

longdi

Banned
Idk about ng+, if it's new content like dg3, guess it is fine, but if it's like nier, i would prefer a longer main game

Palmer27

so.... how was the OST?
got a feeling it's not going to be as good as the 1st game :/

I got that feeling too, more subdued and less to my taste. I understand the composer adopts a new style for each game he scores so would unfortunately expect the score to depart from the first entry.

Finalow

I don't want to say it looks bad on PS4, but it doesn't look good either. it depends on the location too, I'd say the worst looking one is the first area, which sadly you're gonna visit plenty of times.
judging from the comparison video of the demo though, the game should look much better on a Pro.

bad perfomance? Not really, you can notice some drops but that's about it.

so.... how was the OST?
your feeling is wrong! The music is extremely good, just like the first game.

Hektor

Finished Route B

I should've totes seen that twist coming

That preview got me thrilled as fuck, excited to see where this is gong tomorrow

I also really loved how fluid the OST switched to an 8Bit version of itself whenever you entered the hacking minigame

AerialAir

Banned
I don't want to say it looks bad on PS4, but it doesn't look good either. it depends on the location too, I'd say the worst looking one is the first area, which sadly you're gonna visit plenty of times.
judging from the comparison video of the demo though, the game should look much better on a Pro.

bad perfomance? Not really, you can notice some drops but that's about it.

your feeling is wrong! The music is extremely good, just like the first game.

Any way you can give us any screen caps of the first area to see just how it looks on a regular PS4?

Exentryk

C5Vp3usUEAA0wB6.jpg

Philippo

Honestly, not really. This game is more of a... dark, philosophical thinkpiece. Very Paradise Lost.

This was also true of the original Nier but in Automata it's a lot more overt and assumed. It doesn't make me cry but it definitely makes me think.

I don't know if i like this, i was kinda missing the trademark Yoko Taro-caused emotional breakdowns lol

Still, there aren't many games that actually end up making you think of it in a philosophical way, that's really intriguing.

convo

I don't know if i like this, i was kinda missing the trademark Yoko Taro-caused emotional breakdowns lol

Still, there aren't many games that actually end up making you think of it in a philosophical way, that's really intriguing.

The first route sure doesn't contain everything a nier game would have, it definitly gets more intersting after that. Side-quest do get heavy i would say, Liam has avoided attacking quest givers but it seems like you could just kill NPCs if you don't try to pay attention.

True Fire

It's very intriguing. The game can feel emotionally detached at times, but it only feels that way because Yoko is commenting on the nature of consciousness.

Jiraiza

It's kind of insane how many different gameplay elements are jammed into this game. Wasn't expecting 9S to play so differently.

where is the review thread?

The game isn't out in the west for a couple of weeks, folks are either playing the JP version or the HK version (which has english language options I believe).
So none of the well known sites are playing the import version which is in english?
Though even if they are, they would probably only be able to post some early impressions.
btw. what about japanese publications like Famitsu? Did they get advance copies and if so, what's their score?

EDIT:

Oops, should have googled from the get go before asking here. :D
Famitsu score: 10/10/9/10 [39/40]

Exentryk

So none of the well known sites are playing the import version which is in english?
Though even if they are, they would probably only be able to post some early impressions.
btw. what about japanese publications like Famitsu? Did they get advance copies and if so, what's their score?

39/40

EDIT:

Oops, should have googled from the get go before asking here. :D
Famitsu score: 10/10/9/10 [39/40]

no one really trusts famitsu scores anymore anyway but from the impressions here I feel like they are in-line with the truth.

I can't wait to play it myself

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
so.... how was the OST?

The OST is still good but from what I've heard, I still prefer OG NieR's OST.

Top Bottom