• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

mcjmetroid

Ok so I bought this game for half price there recently and so far.. I'm not that impresseed.

I got gotten to the 2 saw bosses at the start about 30 minutes into and I died and I have to do the whole thing again? I know it gives you the message about it not auto saving but it never told me how to save or when.

Also the graphics seem meh, it really lacks colour and the combat seems.. ok I guess.

Does this get much better? I take it does since it's gotten all this praise but. First impressions aren't great with this one.

Ok so I bought this game for half price there recently and so far.. I'm not that impresseed.

I got gotten to the 2 saw bosses at the start about 30 minutes into and I died and I have to do the whole thing again? I know it gives you the message about it not auto saving but it never told me how to save or when.

Also the graphics seem meh, it really lacks colour and the combat seems.. ok I guess.

Does this get much better? I take it does since it's gotten all this praise but. First impressions aren't great with this one.

It does get much better. You're just playing the tutorial. And since you've died to the "saw boss", that means you likely haven't gotten the combat yet. I assume you haven't clinched the evasion mechanic, as that's generally how one dies to the saws.
The game really doesn't start until after the tutorial part. After that more weapons and other customization opens up. And much larger and open areas as well and the main story of route A gets started.
It's a really good game to relax with and it has a nice pacing that complements that relaxed mood.

mcjmetroid

It does get much better. You're just playing the tutorial. And since you've died to the "saw boss", that means you likely haven't gotten the combat yet. I assume you haven't clinched the evasion mechanic, as that's generally how one dies to the saws.
The game really doesn't start until after the tutorial part. After that more weapons and other customization opens up. And much larger and open areas as well and the main story of route A gets started.
It's a really good game to relax with and it has a nice pacing that complements that relaxed mood.
I'm gonna finish off dark souls remastered first and then enjoy a relaxing game. It's my own fault for trying this without finishing dark souls first haha.

I'm gonna finish off dark souls remastered first and then enjoy a relaxing game. It's my own fault for trying this without finishing dark souls first haha.

I spent an insane amount unnecessarily doing everything and grinding in route A of Nier: Automata. The combat is engaging enough, while also not requiring you to be extremely focused. Made for a great game to listen to podcasts to. After all, there's a lot of places to explore, rewarding you with weapons and a lot of side quests you can get early. It was a game that didn't burn me out as a completionist.
It's also possible to just rush it as well, making things more intense. But the big maps with verticality and the great music made me just enjoy taking it slowly. So it all really depends on you as a player.

After you're done with route A, there's route B which takes control over another character during the events of route A, which overlaps a lot with route A. So some feel it a drag to play the same thing over again. I honestly enjoyed it though, especially because of how it gave a new perspective on route A. But that might make a case for rushing through either A or B. I personally grinded in both because I loved doing side quests and the combat just felt so great and just flowed with me. After that there's route C which is a whole new thing and is the last route of the game.

For the life of me, I haven’t heard anyone listen to a podcast while playing this game.

The OST is a masterpiece. Embrace it.

The OST is good, but if you're grinding about it can be nice to put the volume a bit down and have a podcast playing. That way you still get some of the music, but you can listen to something while grinding. That way you're saving time, getting through a podcast and playing at the same time.

Top Bottom