• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

Mifec

I predict a ghost town of an OT thread come release day in the West, Zelda's coming out the following week.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well I'm getting it on PC so I can't really participate since it's not a sim release for some ungodly reason in the year of our Lord Toobie.

Hektor

20161227_045420.png

"Nintendo, please reconsider"

Gbraga

I predict a ghost town of an OT thread come release day in the West, Zelda's coming out the following week.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm assuming I'm not the only Nier fan that doesn't own a WiiU or a Switch. :p

Well I'm getting it on PC so I can't really participate since it's not a sim release for some ungodly reason in the year of our Lord Toobie.

Oh yeah, forgot about it.

So I get the pleasure of watching two OTs for games that looking amazing being bumped while I'm not playing either of them.

Setsu00

Explanation?

It's from the recent Atlus livestream where they presented their new fantasy JRPG project. Yoko Taro popped up in the stream and asked them to stop the development on the game as it will crush the small niche that Nier made for itself.

It's from the recent Atlus livestream where they presented their new fantasy JRPG project. Yoko Taro popped up in the stream and asked them to stop the development on the game as it will crush the small niche that Nier made for itself.

That Butt will manage GOTY. No need to worry Taro.

Exentryk

Is the platform not perfectly flat vertically?

It is completely vertical. Just have to use height gaining moves.

Awesome!

You should list inputs if possible. I would be interested in seeing how frames were abused to get that high.

Weapon Set 1:
Virtuous Contract
Bare Fists

Weapon Set 2:
Virtuous Treaty
Virtuous Contract

Command sequence to get as high as the bridge:
WS1
- Light Attack x6
WS2
- Light Attack
- Heavy Attack
WS1
- Jump, quickly followed by Heavy Attack
WS2
- Heavy Attack
- Jump
- Heavy Attack
- Evade

That evade would get you over the first bridge. After that you can Jump and use Heavy attacks a couple of times and then use evade at the end to reach the 2nd bridge.

Jiraiza

Weapon Set 1:
Virtuous Contract
Bare Fists

Weapon Set 2:
Virtuous Treaty
Virtuous Contract

WS1
- Light Attack x6
WS2
- Light Attack
- Heavy Attack
WS1
WS2
- Heavy Attack
- Jump
- Heavy Attack
- Evade

That evade would get you over the first bridge. After that you can Jump and use Heavy attacks a couple of times and then use evade at the end to reach the 2nd bridge.

I ask because it looks like you're doing a launcher in mid-air with your fists when that shouldn't be possible. Or at least, that's the restriction I thought it had. Are you considered air born after the 6th light attack with Virtuous Contract or did you jump there?

Exentryk

I ask because it looks like you're doing a launcher in mid-air with your fists when that shouldn't be possible. Or at least, that's the restriction I thought it had. Are you considered air born after the 6th light attack with Virtuous Contract or did you jump there?

As long as you haven't jumped before, you can do a launcher regardless of being in air or on ground.

Exentryk

That makes sense. It looks like you did two launchers though. The first one in particular is what's bugging me.

There is only one launcher. The 6x strikes take you airborne, so it's like a free jump while also allowing a launcher later. Just try out the button sequence and you'll get it.

I am of a similar opinion to you, but I can see why some casuals might like XV more. XV's combat is more automated with tracked attacks, auto linkstrikes, auto dodging, etc. All this can be done with basically 2 buttons (Attack and Guard). This makes learning controls really easy.

Automata's design is much less handholdy, and more precise and consistent. Pressing the attack button won't make 2B run up to the enemies; she'll just attack once where she is standing. The player has to play skillfully to figure out distance in a 3D space and direct attacks correctly. Dodging needs to be timed so players need to pay more attention to enemy attacks. Having two buttons for attacks, along with pod shooting and laser abilities on top can make the controls seem complex for casuals. Adjusting to the different cameras will also require time/skill.

Automata caters to casuals too, but does so without dumbing down its gameplay. The easy mode lets people use chips to adjust combat to their comfort levels (auto attack only, auto evade only, etc.). This isn't explained well (or at all) in the demo though, so I don't blame people for not knowing this. The full game might possibly inform players in advance perhaps?
I wouldn't describe either of us a casual (I mean, she works in the games industry holy shit), but I think catering to casual playes is extremely important. It's something I look for in every game I play. I think games making learning controls is extremely important, and while Nier A does the best job of any Plat game I've played, it still has work to do.

But that's just because it's a demo. It needed to take its time more, and while I doubt it'll be better tutorialized in the final product, here's hoping. I mean, I didn't think the demo was bad (like TW101's demo, which absolutely reflected the final game), just didn't find it particularly interesting to play. But it is pretty interesting to talk about!

Jiraiza

There is only one launcher. Just try out the button sequence and you'll get it.

Oh wow, never realized the Virtuous Contract light attack chain ended with a jump. Now it makes sense.

No opportunity to use that entire chain in a combo so I didn't know.

And apparently, you're not even considered air-borne either. You learn new things everyday.

Exentryk

Oh wow, never realized the Virtuous Contract light attack chain ended with a jump. Now it makes sense.

No opportunity to use that entire chain in a combo so I didn't know.

And apparently, you're not even considered air-borne either. You learn new things everyday.

It's amazing how much crazy stuff we can do just in the demo. Once we get access to more pod skills, weapons, chips, it's going to be insane!

Weapon Set 1:
Virtuous Contract
Bare Fists

Weapon Set 2:
Virtuous Treaty
Virtuous Contract

WS1
- Light Attack x6
WS2
- Light Attack
- Heavy Attack
WS1
WS2
- Heavy Attack
- Jump
- Heavy Attack
- Evade

Thanks! Time to explore.

Played the demo today. Combat was a blast. The animation is top notch and responsive.
Tried the Virtuous Contract for a bit left me too wide open after a combo. Went back to the Virtuous Treaty. Got a little tired of fighting the same robots over and over again, but the combat was very fluid. I wasn't really going to get it, but now I have to reconsider. I recognized a remix of Nier's music in there.

He shows the control but it looks strange, seems like he mapped the controls different. Can someone explain in detail what he's doing?

I'd like to skip this boss aswell.

Exentryk

He shows the control but it looks strange, seems like he mapped the controls different. Can someone explain in detail what he's doing?

I'd like to skip this boss aswell.

Press Jump, then Evade + Heavy Attack (while on Weapon Set 1). That will let you do those far reaching downward attacks. Do this repeatedly and quickly before the boss gets placed on the ground and blocks your path.

Looks like he skipped the cutscene really fast by mashing on Cross (which is likely mapped to the pause button), and the boss glitched out.

I guessed something like that but your explanation sounds a bit too simple. He is excited that he did it but if he just mashes X mapped to pause than that would be pretty simple.

Or am I wrong?

Exentryk

I guessed something like that but your explanation sounds a bit too simple. He is excited that he did it but if he just mashes X mapped to pause than that would be pretty simple.

Or am I wrong?

It seems like it only happens some of the time. So, have to keep retrying. I'd give it a go, but it takes too long to get to that boss to bother trying repeatedly.

Squire

Banned
Finally tried fighting with bare hands. It's awesome. I notice you can equip them to your light and heavy moves at the same time (you can't do that with the swords). When you hit with light you get punches, kicks on heavy. I wonder if the kicks means there are greaves in addition to gauntlets.

Using polearms in this game is gonna be dope. So hyped. I love lancers in anything.

Exentryk

I saw this video on PGs design philosophy only a few days ago. It's actually about Vanquish, but it ends up speaking on PG broadly because of so many recurring elements in their games. I'm mentioning this because there's a point he makes about depth vs breadth (go to 2:05).

Depth as he interprets it is about combining basic mechanics in ways only more advanced, experienced players will think up. Breadth (which Nier will almost certainly have just being an RPG) is giving the player a wide variety of skills and tools.

I think Nier could be as deep as Bayo, but you can totally have breadth without depth.

Just got around to watching this video and it's really well done. I've never played any other Platinum game, but I can see these guys are masters at what they do. I am so glad I am getting to experience NieR made by these devs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ehh I'd love to get it day one but I can't justify buying Nier, Persona 5, GR2, Nioh, Valkyria, Horizon, Toukiden 2 , Yakuza, Bersaria, Berserk, Torment in the span of few months all for full price.

Ehh I'd love to get it day one but I can't justify buying Nier, Persona 5, GR2, Nioh, Valkyria, Horizon, Toukiden 2 , Yakuza, Bersaria, Berserk, Torment in the span of few months all for full price.

Most of these games were released in japan already.

I would go with Nioh then Nier Automata then Persona 5. That's what I do. Every month a RPG.

Most of these games were released in japan already.

I would go with Nioh then Nier Automata then Persona 5. That's what I do. Every month a RPG.

Well that doesn't really help - I can understand a bit of spoken Japanese but kanji is killing me :)

I'm prioritizing Persona, Horizon , Toukiden and Valkyria for now

Oh and they might drop Danganronpa v3 into that period too. Making it even more crazy :D

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Played the demo lastnight. The gameplay is the sort of thing I've come to love from PlatinumGames.

Top Bottom