• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling any game from 2017's top 10 goty list would be goty in most years lol.
Zelda, Horizon, Nier, Persona 5... fucking hell...

Grief.exe

Nice scores.

Any word on the PC version's release date?

Square removed a trailer that showed a March 10th release date since that information likely violated their contract with Sony.

Good chance we will find out PC information on March 8th.

entremet

Q1 2017 - The Empire Strike Back.

*Yeah I'm aware the the problematic WW2 connotations. Don't be too serious now ;P

Is Gravity Rush 2 that good ?
Loved the first one for the vita but It's far from one of my GOTY

It fixed pretty much everything I had an issue with in the original, while looking good & playing well doing it.

It's not perfect, but it's a great ride if the mechanics work for you.

(Anyway, this is NieR: Automata's review thread, so we should probably get back on topic.)

LotusHD

Banned
Is Gravity Rush 2 that good ?
Loved the first one for the vita but It's far from one of my GOTY

It's quite the lovely game. Won't be my GOTY this year cuz there's too much good shit, but it's that type of game I'll endlessly recommend to people lol

How's the voice acting btw since the option to play the whole in game in both is available. Liked what I heard and will probably do a full run with each. Still can't believe that a Nier game is coming out in 8 days (eu😫) and the fact it's delivering where it needs to. Now it's time to shill to everyone I know.

bargeparty

How possible is it to a bare hands playthrough? I played around with it in the demo but I'm not sure if it has enough combos and all that.

Jiraiza

If OP wants to update the IGN Japan translation, here's what I had from the OT thread. I really hate Google Translate.

NieR: Automata is an unparalleled "Action RPG" wonderfully born from the quirkiness of NieR and the craftmanship of Platinum games, which also happens to be plagued by the "shooting" segments throughout the game. Regrettably, it would have been better if not for those "shooting" segments.

How's the voice acting btw since the option to play the whole in game in both is available.

I'm the kind of person to play in English unless it's a bad dub, in which case I'll instantly prefer the Japanese Dub. For NieR: Automata I played in English.

I have absolutely zero issues with its English Dub, and some characters like Operator 60, 9S, and Eve really steal the show in some scenes.

On a similar note to the post above, here's the banner image I'd originally prepared for the Review Thread if you want to use it in the OP:

boxartrtfinala1wrjyp.png

Grief.exe

Shit I might just get it on PS4 to give me more time before Mass Effect... BUT I WANT 60 FPS GOD DAMMIT

Also Andromeda's early access starts the 18th. Then Persona 4 a week later. Then Cosmic Star Heroine. And Yooka-Laylee.

SOMEONE SAVE ME I'M DROWNING IN GAMES

looks legit but sauce?

I believe it's 60 FPS on both platforms.

Square took the page down.

Hastati

Uhhhhhhhhhhh this is reviewing way better than I expected? Looks like it will settle in the high 80s (I was expecting 70s) unless I'm wrong again. Be crazy if it actually ended up 90+.

This last month has been totally insane, gj game developers.

Unfortunately won't have time to pull away from Zelda for awhile, but looking forward to Nier very much.

Akainu

... I had a Review Thread completely ready and claimed in the OT, so I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit sad to see it's been made already.

Since it's already up now though, feel free to use the banner image & IGN Japan quote below.

At least the game is doing well.

Got damn Kamiya played space harrier once and won't let anyone forget it.

jonjonaug

Got damn Kamiya played space harrier once and won't let anyone forget it.
The shooting segments in this one are mostly top down. You have a combination of vertical and horizontal shooter segments throughout the game in the flight unit, as well as "hacking" segments which are
retro style 360 degree top down shooting mini games where the music is replaced with an 8 bit version of whatever is playing

VanWinkle

Woah, great reviews for Automata thus far. I'm still in shock that there is a Nier sequel, let alone the fact it's reviewing well. What is happening.

Working up my review now for this.

Fantastic, I was hoping you'd be doing a review. Looking forward to it!

I have a feeling any game from 2017's top 10 goty list would be goty in most years lol.
Zelda, Horizon, Nier, Persona 5... fucking hell...

It's absolutely ludicrous. The fact that they're all coming out so close together makes it even harder, sigh. Spoilt for choice!

Hastati

It's kind of shocking to me that of Nier Automata, TLG, Final Fantasy XV and Shenmue III, Nier might come out on top in terms of critical reception. Of course Shenmue III is an unknown in that respect, but I think it's a great turn of events considering how underrated the original was, and how the franchise seemed like it had died.

It's also really great for Yoko Taro and Platinum, they need it.

Have been playing it on PS4 pro the last few days.

Some small issues, but this is a great game and deserves the accolades it's going to get.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope SE knows all the secrecy is putting the game at risk of not doing as well as it could in initial sales, especially on the PC version.

I don't think a Sony marketing deal is worth it unless SE were planning on a delayed launch of the PC version months down the line to get double dippers. Its pointless if its only a week or so, and does nothing but damage the game's hype factor.

Yoko Taro, Keiichi Okabe and Platinum staff don't deserve that

I need more reviews! I'm so hyped for this game . I really hope this doesn't get buried
It will 😔
I hope I can finish Horizon before this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom