• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So much about the release of this game is weird. PC version, no idea about western copy reviews. I wish they could be more open about everything. Maybe they're trying to do everything at once as a marketing push or something? I don't know. It's a great game I wish they'd just give everyone the details so people can make their choices

I agree. The game is an amazing experience. if they are concerned about Yoko Taro's Yoko Taro putting major reviewing organizations off, i think that's doing a disservice to his project.

Grief.exe

So much about the release of this game is weird. PC version, no idea about western copy reviews. I wish they could be more open about everything. Maybe they're trying to do everything at once as a marketing push or something? I don't know. It's a great game I wish they'd just give everyone the details so people can make their choices

Square offered an exclusive marketing deal with Sony to mitigate their risk. Information on the PC version will likely come out on the 7th or 8th when that contract expires.

raven777

IGN Japan being the "harshest" from the first reviews lol

IGN Japan has been pretty harsh compared to stuff like famitsu. They gave some relatively low scores on games that got really high scores on famitsu (like Yakuza 6, FFXV or even summer lesson). Their FFXV review score is also lower than IGN US.

Ogawa-san

Bloodworth from EZA said the PR guys at SE didn't get many review copies to hand out.
InwPHj0.png

I never care about review threads, but this is a rare exception. Screw the early 70/80 predictions. I'm expecting Bayo 2 levels of greatness here.

Inuhanyou

Bloodworth from EZA said the PR guys at SE didn't get many review copies to hand out.

That itself is a bad sign. Many reviewers likely won't know what to do or how to complete things and dock points just for that. I was kind of hoping SE had already given advance notice on what to do to for reviewers to get the most out of the game, but if they didnt even give out many review copies...

That itself is a bad sign. Many reviewers likely won't know what to do or how to complete things and dock points just for that. I was kind of hoping SE had already given advance notice on what to do to for reviewers to get the most out of the game, but if they didnt even give out many review copies...

We already have confirmation though that there are specific instructions in the review guide to keep going as well as in game it lets the player know.

I think you guys are jumping the gun a little too much right now. Let's all take a deep breath haha

... I had a Review Thread completely ready and claimed in the OT, so I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit sad to see it's been made already.

Since it's already up now though, feel free to use the banner image & IGN Japan quote below.

BRSxIgnition said:
boxartrtfinala1wrjyp.png

IGN Japan said:
NieR: Automata is an unparalleled "Action RPG" wonderfully born from the quirkiness of NieR and the craftmanship of Platinum games, which also happens to be plagued by the "shooting" segments throughout the game. Regrettably, it would have been better if not for those "shooting" segments.

At least the game is doing well.

Inuhanyou

We already have confirmation though that there are specific instructions in the review guide to keep going as well as in game it lets the player know.

I think you guys are jumping the gun a little too much right now. Let's all take a deep breath haha

Yes, but the review copy itself only goes out to limited publications apparently, which means many other reviewers who don't have those instructions are going to be in the dark

Holy shit. It's like the quality of games is inversely proportional with the state of the world.

We're living in the most turbulent, terrible times (in the states specifically), but the games are So. Fucking. Good.

Nioh
Horizon Zero Dawn
Nier A
Zelda
Resident Evil 7
This year goddamn

And we've still got Persona 5 creeping its way in our direction.

this game is legit. don't let the demo put you off.

Why would the demo put one off? It's excellent.

Crayon

... I had a Review Thread completely ready and claimed in the OT, so I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit sad to see it's been made already.

At least the game is doing well, I guess.

That's what I thought. I thought you were going to make it. :/ It's okay.

Iksenpets

Banned
I feel bad for whatever the first disappointing game of 2017 is, because reviewers will rip into it just to stretch their negative review muscles out for the first time in six months.

Its release date is just really unfortunate, but I can only assume it had to be out this fiscal quarter, and whether it launches at the start of March of the end of it isn't going to be a huge amount of difference. Glad to see its reviewing well either way. I hope people will remember Automata exists during some release schedule droughts. Even in a packed year like this, it's certainly still a game of the year candidate.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Square offered an exclusive marketing deal with Sony to mitigate their risk. Information on the PC version will likely come out on the 7th or 8th when that contract expires.

For sure. I wish they would just say that themselves I guess. PC information coming this day, reviews incoming this day, etc. Just seems like unneeded confusion for people waiting on that information

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Bomberman and 1 2 Switch?

I think they mean like the 'big' game in gaming circles, since everything from Zelda to Resident Evil 7 to Horizon to Yakuza to Nioh to Gravity Rush 2 and such have been critical darlings, and even things like Tales of Berseria did pretty modestly.

LotusHD

Banned
I think they mean like the 'big' game in gaming circles, since everything from Zelda to Resident Evil 7 to Yakuza to Nioh to Gravity Rush 2 and such have been critical darlings, and even things like Tales of Berseria did pretty modestly.

Hmm... Mass Effect perhaps?

True Fire

I feel bad for whatever the first disappointing game of 2017 is, because reviewers will rip into it just to stretch their negative review muscles out for the first time in six months.

Someone put Andromeda into protective custody lol. Not saying it's going to be bad, but it's a prime candidate for a witch hunt if it is bad

JayEH

Its release date is just really unfortunate, but I can only assume it had to be out this fiscal quarter, and whether it launches at the start of March of the end of it isn't going to be a huge amount of difference. Glad to see its reviewing well either way. I hope people will remember Automata exists during some release schedule droughts. Even in a packed year like this, it's certainly still a game of the year candidate.

should have just launched it the same time as japan. don't see any other reason not to other than maybe the PC version wasn't ready.

Iksenpets

Banned
Someone put Andromeda into protective custody lol. Not saying it's going to be bad, but it's a prime candidate for a witch hunt if it is bad

I didn't want to say it, so I lured everyone into saying it for me. I don't even think it will be bad, but if it comes in at like 8 level, people will treat it like a 5 or a 6, because who can justify dozens of hours on anything less than greatness right now?

AndersK

Hot damn. Spent most of my savings on a KS7000 (EU) og i haven't bought Horizon, Nier, Nioh, TLG, Torment, a switch with Zelda, etc etc.

I'm gonna be that guy who's hosting a party at a sweet venue and forgot to invite guests. And buy Beer. Gawd.

I guess i can give Uncharted another spin...

Zolo

I didn't want to say it, so I lured everyone into saying it for me. I don't even think it will be bad, but if it comes in at like 8 level, people will treat it like a 5 or a 6, because who can justify dozens of hours on anything less than greatness right now?

Andromeda seems like its pretty inoffensive on quality, so I'd expect about a mid-high 80s score.

Timeaisis

Really shame this is launching in between Horizon and Zelda. Anyway, I'll get around to it sooner or later. Looks great.

My heart can't take all of the awesome. Nier is still my way-too-early GOTY pick, but between it, Zelda, Persona, Horizon, RE7, and Mass Effect coming by mid-April, there's going to be some stiff competition in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom