• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigga and You: A Comprehensive Guide to the N-Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Addressed context already.

Look I'm going to get a ton of shit about this but I strongly feel that stupid societal norms like this do nothing but further separate the races from themselves. Ideally I would prefer a race neutral world but this is too idealistic I know. Every time I enter these threads it seems like it's us vs them instead of us against the idiots that kill young kids, blame entire groups for terrorism, or are flat out racist. I am white, I hate trump, bigots, and both of those words.

Life is filled with societal norms you conform to everyday. The fact that you consider this particular one as stupid and "racist as a mean to divide" really reflects on your opinion of the history and subject matter. It's honestly time to stop playing dumb with this stuff. You get this is too idealistic so why are you picking this as a battle like "we need the purity to remain everywhere"? It's so naive. You kniw it, I know it but every thread we have someone act like idealism trumps literally reality in people's lives.

You're an adult. You can say w/e the fuck you want. Happy? Whether you do or do not offend people is outta your hands and a tirade like "well it pisses me off that they dont want me to say it" is the epitome of entitled.

wrowa

It's like you haven't seen any of my previous posts about how this seems like a spec compared to the other issues. I expected this of gaf though. This place has always been an echo chamber unable to think a little bit different than the way the tide pulls. I'm done here have fun patting each other on the back for putting whitey in his place about what words are appropriate to keep him from getting "punched in the mouth".

You know what's an essential part of a discussion? Conflicting opinions. You seem to have a problem with that. Otherwise I fail to understand why react so harshly because someone disagreed with your opinion.

Also, this is a huge forum and you have a mere 24 posts. Don't expect that anyone knows who you are or remembers your posting history. GAF is too big for that (for that matter, most people remember posters by their avatars and not by their names, so if you want people to recognize you... start with that).

Ahasverus

You know what ruined this shit outside the states? San Andreas, fucking San Andreas put the word on the young people vocabulary accross the world, without a context, I can bet you some money that there is a chance a young man in latin america would call you Nigga in a "friendly manner" without batting an eye, because for them (us?) it kinda came up as replacing the Spanish "negro" which while similar, is not the same in context.

Fucking San Andreas man.

Glass Rebel

d8h67ub.png

subtle

Izuna

Banned
As a mixed raced guy, I only say it when it's lyrics.

My nieces (quarter Ghanaian) don't know the word yet even at 10 years old cause. The day they learn it I'll read them this thread haha.

My nephew (16, who is darker) learnt from his man that it is basically the worst word in the world.

It's just D.O.N.T, but really know that there are people who don't want to hear nigga ever, even as young people.

karasu

I try not to say it because I don't agree with that whole "reclaiming it" theory. But my formative years were spent in the hood so it does slip out in moments of extreme shock or aggravation.

Setsuna

Whats up with the influx of Asian people saying Nigga?

And its not even like American Asians, Its people from like Canada Belgium and Ireland

Beefy

I will just keep to not saying it even tho a few friends do ( all black/mixed). I don't like the reclaim a word crap.

Dmented

Banned
You know what ruined this shit outside the states? San Andreas, fucking San Andreas put the word on the young people vocabulary accross the world, without a context, I can bet you some money that there is a chance a young man in latin america would call you Nigga in a "friendly manner" without batting an eye, because for them (us?) it kinda came up as replacing the Spanish "negro" which while similar, is not the same in context.

Fucking San Andreas man.

I'm from the US but when I used to play SA-MP there were SOOOOOOOO many people from South America playing. Mainly Brazilians. It was kind of funny playing with a young Brazilian with his very very limited English but we were able to understand each other for the game. We added each other as friends on Xfire (Fucking Xfire, lol.) and trying to have a normal conversation was fucking IMPOSSIBLE.

Fun damn game.

Blacks are the only people that embrace each other with a negative word. Never seen anything like it. You wonder why other races look down on us. I've alway thought that something is wrong with us to say that to each other. I don't use it and correct ANYONE that thinks I embrace it. My mom killed that term for me and my siblings a long time ago. You use it, pops you in the mouth and called you that all day to make you feel like shit. I love her for that.

Whats up with the influx of Asian people saying Nigga?

And its not even like American Asians, Its people from like Canada Belgium and Ireland

Black Canadian here. No Asian person I have met has ever said it in my presence. So I dunno. Luck of the draw lol. It's hella obvious when I'm in a room of not black people and a rap song comes on they are hesitant. People know what this word means, they just don't wanna say it around black people.

bill0527

Life is filled with societal norms you conform to everyday. The fact that you consider this particular one as stupid and "racist as a mean to divide" really reflects on your opinion of the history and subject matter. It's honestly time to stop playing dumb with this stuff. You get this is too idealistic so why are you picking this as a battle like "we need the purity to remain everywhere"? It's so naive. You kniw it, I know it but every thread we have someone act like idealism trumps literally reality in people's lives.

You're an adult. You can say w/e the fuck you want. Happy? Whether you do or do not offend people is outta your hands and a tirade like "well it pisses me off that they dont want me to say it" is the epitome of entitled.

What am I supposed to do when it unconsciously slips out when I'm listening to music? Damn..this shit gets ingrained into your head.

I'm playing GTA V last night and Hood Gone Love It comes on..next thing I know I'm sitting here dropping N-A words all over the place going along with the music, then I catch myself, but shit... what's a white man supposed to do? I guess I could just say 'N-word' out loud instead of saying 'N---a'. Watch a young 'N-WORD' show his ass out in public'. Yeah that becomes a comedy skit at some point.

I understand that black people feel like they have culturally appropriated the word, re-worked it and taken away its power. I get that. I support that. I really do understand it from your point of view. But when the word is out there in soooooooooo many entertainment mediums and put out there for public consumption, you're going to get white people repeating it back, either consciously or unconsciously. I mean you have got to understand that this is human nature, right and not race-specific? Life imitates art. People are going to mimic and act like what they think is cool. And this isn't unique to only white people.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Fucking San Andreas man.
GTAV was particularly egregious as well.

moggio

Banned
Blacks are the only people that embrace each other with a negative word. Never seen anything like it. You wonder why other races look down on us. I've alway thought that something is wrong with us to say that to each other. I don't use it and correct ANYONE that thinks I embrace it. My mom killed that term for me and my siblings along time ago. You use it, pops you in the mouth and called you that all day to make you feel like shit. I love her for that.

It's not unknown for repressed minorities to reclaim words of abuse. Gays use queer and faggot for example.

It's not unknown for repressed minorities to reclaim words of abuse. Gays use queer and faggot for example.
I don't hear Muslims or Mexican embracing each other with all of the derogatory names bestowed upon them.

I've never heard a gay person use those words. My sister is gay and I've never heard her embrace a fellow gay negatively.

If my son uses it, I'm going to crush him.

What am I supposed to do when it unconsciously slips out when I'm listening to music? Damn..this shit gets ingrained into your head.

I'm playing GTA V last night and Hood Gone Love It comes on..next thing I know I'm sitting here dropping N-A words all over the place going along with the music, then I catch myself, but shit... what's a white man supposed to do? I guess I could just say 'N-word' out loud instead of saying 'N---a'. Watch a young 'N-WORD' show his ass out in public'. Yeah that becomes a comedy skit at some point.

I understand that black people feel like they have culturally appropriated the word, re-worked it and taken away its power. I get that. I support that. I really do understand it from your point of view. But when the word is out there in soooooooooo many entertainment mediums and put out there for public consumption, you're going to get white people repeating it back, either consciously or unconsciously. I mean you have got to understand that this is human nature, right and not race-specific? Life imitates art. People are going to mimic and act like what they think is cool. And this isn't unique to only white people.

Like I said. Yall are adults. You can aay and do whatever the fuck you want. If you wanna play GTAV and sing along and say nigga at every song by all means. No one can stop you. I keep the use of Nigga limited in my vocabulary outside music. Just what I do. Others see it differently. That's fine.

What my issue is is this pseudo intellectual bullshit about how because mainstream black people use it, suddenly its communal. Yall know that is bullshit. Yall know a white guy aint gonna say it in a room of all blacj people they dont know. Yall cant name a time in entertainment a white person (or even someone who looks white) said nigga and it didnt turn into a shit storm. So why do wealways have to pretend like their is nuance to this subject? There isnt. It has never been accepted by the black populace for non blacks to say the word. It isn't even fully agreed upon by black for other blacks to say the word.

If a white person can't control themselves to not say nigga during a rap song they have issues. Welcome to a world where black people have to control themselves to make no possible mistake in an interaction with the police. Where they face wide spread systemic racism and have to make sure they navigate the system as delicately as possible. If you wanna say nigga say nigga. But people need to cut the woe is me shit. This is fucking reality, if all you gotta worry about is not saying 1 word I domt wanna hear some intellectual bullshit about why its so hard.

/end rant

Beefy

I don't hear Muslims or Mexican embracing each other with all of the derogatory names bestowed upon them.

I've never heard a gay person use those words. My sister is gay and I've never heard her embrace a fellow gay negatively.

If my son uses it, I'm going to crush him.

Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it doesn't go on. I know plenty of gay people that call themselves queer etc. I even know a Japanese guy that calls himself yellow man . Every one is different at the end of the day.

bill0527

Like I said. Yall are adults. You can aay and do whatever the fuck you want. If you wanna play GTAV and sing along and say nigga at every song by all means. No one can stop you. I keep the use of Nigga limited in my vocabulary outside music. Just what I do. Others see it differently. That's fine.

What my issue is is this pseudo intellectual bullshit about how because mainstream black people use it, suddenly its communal. Yall know that is bullshit. Yall know a white guy aint gonna say it in a room of all blacj people they dont know. Yall cant name a time in entertainment a white person (or even someone who looks white) said nigga and it didnt turn into a shit storm. So why do wealways have to pretend like their is nuance to this subject? There isnt. It has never been accepted by the black populace for non blacks to say the word. It isn't even fully agreed upon by black for other blacks to say the word.

If a white person can't control themselves to not say nigga during a rap song they have issues. Welcome to a world where black people have to control themselves to make no possible mistake in an interaction with the police. Where they face wide spread systemic racism and have to make sure they navigate the system as delicately as possible. If you wanna say nigga say nigga. But people need to cut the woe is me shit. This is fucking reality, if all you gotta worry about is not saying 1 word I domt wanna hear some intellectual bullshit about why its so hard.

/end rant

Just for the record I don't entirely disagree with you. I appreciate your point of view and I'm listening.

/end rant

giphy.gif

yeah I cringe every time I hear other white people say it

There is no need could be a case of don't push the red button effect

But I won't lie

When I'm at home alone listening to hip hop I'm rapping that shit to myself haha I doubt I'm the only one.
(Never in the company of any of my black fellows, I'm not a fool)

Also it makes life harder when a big hit at the time is called "Niggas in Paris"

imagine a white guy asking a black DJ to play that song lol

Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean it doesn't go on. I know plenty of gay people that call themselves queer etc. I even know a Japanese guy that calls himself yellow man Stu. Every one is different at the end of the day.
The fact that we have considerably more conversations about the N-word says a lot.

TheFlow

Banned
yessssss! I had to tell one of my white friends not to say that around me in public. We were going to a club, and I couldn't let this cat go out yelling the N word.

nigga from non black people just makes me feel weird. like I need to take a shower lol

Havik

I'm white and I have had a black person call me nigga, didnt appreciate that honestly.

Do you guys think that is ok/normal?

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Blacks are the only people that embrace each other with a negative word. Never seen anything like it. You wonder why other races look down on us. I've alway thought that something is wrong with us to say that to each other. I don't use it and correct ANYONE that thinks I embrace it. My mom killed that term for me and my siblings a long time ago. You use it, pops you in the mouth and called you that all day to make you feel like shit. I love her for that.

This can't be real.

/end rant

This is really what it all boils down to. I haven't read the whole thread, great OP my god, but I'm willing to bet even most black folk shy away from the word.

Personally I only use it in specific circumstances, its never been something that just rolls off the tongue, so the fact that other races (ie. White folk mainly) have so much interest in its communal qualities is very off putting...like, why bruh?

Just say something else.

I'm white and I have had a black person call me nigga, didnt appreciate that honestly.

Depends on the context

But sounds to me like he can talk to you like he does to his friends, which can be taking as pleasant.

But if you don't like being called it, and it really bothers you mmmmm I guess tell him

Wouldn't bother me

For you to feel that way, its normal. For them calling you that, it happens, can't say I agree with it. I don't call my white friends nigga. I call them bro or by whatever nickname they may have.

The Kree

Banned

I have seen it happen many times. Looks like we're from two completely different earths.

Havik

Depends on the context

But sounds to me like he can talk to you like he does to his friends, which can be taking as pleasant.

But if you don't like being called it, and it really bothers you mmmmm I guess tell him

Wouldn't bother me

Yeah it was more in a "haha i called you a nigga and you cant call me that" kinda way, not with someone i really knew so felt kinda weird to confront him about it.

how do you guys feel about Method Man making a crowd of 200 white people yell out "shame on a nigga" over and over again?

happened a few years ago at a Wu show in Helsinki, back then i thought it was fucking funny, Method Man himself was cracking up so badly he fell to the floor laughing pretty much. i didn't participate though, iirc i was just looking around baffled heh.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm playing GTA V last night and Hood Gone Love It comes on..next thing I know I'm sitting here dropping N-A words all over the place going along with the music, then I catch myself, but shit... what's a white man supposed to do?
Have some fucking self awareness.

It's incredibly easy not to say the word ffs. I hear the word cunt every monday but doesn't mean I'll say it outloud.

/end rant
Thank you.

MagnesD3

Alot of the social norms are really dumb, like small talk for example.

Foul word regardless of the pronunciation or the race the person comes from who says it. The meaning of the word is never diminished regardless of a desire to reclaim it and will always be loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom