• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nin-Network Acct locked to system it was made on [Upd: Customer Service can't help]

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If you delete your NNID off your Wii, are you still able to grab your purchases that are tied to the NNID?

That is so stupid, and it's not overreaction. There are two PS3's in my household that people use interchangeably. For now my household will just have one Wii U, but the way it's set up is awful for multiple-console households.

Oxirane

Maybe everyone complaining about having to enter friend codes rather than a username (1232-2154-7534-... vs LibertyPineCone), confused Nintendo about why people wanted an account based system.

At least a better implementation seems to be in future plans.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Completely embarrassing. Pre-order cancelled.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Figures. Hopefully will be fixed later on.

Come on Nintendo, you have something close to usable here. =/ I can have an alphanumeric name I can give out, and I get notifications when people add me!

You are so damn close, yet so far away.

LiK

Things I can do with my 360 gamer tag:

- Sign on to multiple 360s at my house. My girlfriend can play on one while I play on the other.

- sign on to my friend's 360s so I can use my account at their house to access account features or progress in games at their house

- sign in to any future 360 so If mine breaks I know everything will be intact. I don't need to call Microsoft or keep the original system to do this.

Here's how digital content works on the 360:
- anyone can access digital content on the console it is bought on. So if I buy content at my friend's house, he or she can use it in perpetuity

- I can access my own content on any 360 in the world, no matter when or where it was originally purchased.

This was all possible on day one in 2005.

360 FW updates also takes just a min or two. They're kings with online.

With the better online integration and (I'm assuming) patching, perhaps Nintendo will have the ability to change the way this stuff works - hopefully if we tell them how horrible a goddamn decision they've made enough they'll change it?

I'm not surprised this is the case at all. In fact this is basically what I expected. (That doesn't make it any better)

Replicant

Maybe everyone complaining about having to enter friend codes rather than a username (1232-2154-7534-... vs LibertyPineCone), confused Nintendo about why people wanted an account based system.

Nintendo: "Oh, I guess they want a name instead of a number. We can do that"
Gamers: "......."

- Sign on to multiple 360s at my house. My girlfriend can play on one while I play on the other.

- sign on to my friend's 360s so I can use my account at their house to access account features or progress in games at their house

- sign in to any future 360 so If mine breaks I know everything will be intact. I don't need to call Microsoft or keep the original system to do this.

- anyone can access digital content on the console it is bought on. So if I buy content at my friend's house, he or she can use it in perpetuity

- I can access my own content on any 360 in the world, no matter when or where it was originally purchased.

I didn't even know this (although, I am a new 360 owner). Does this also apply to the PS3?

No that is deleting your account period by the sounds of things.
Or can you actually log on with it?

IDK at this point. ffs

It gets completely destroyed.

Nintendo said:
How to Deactivate a Nintendo Network Account

Important Note!

Deactivating a Nintendo Network Account will also delete the following information associated to the account: Nintendo eShop activity and balance, Friend List, Miiverse activity, and registered e-mail address.
Deactivated accounts cannot be restored.
The username associated to a deactivated Nintendo Network Account cannot be reused to create a new Nintendo Network Account.

Levyne

Banned
I replaced my 360 and PS3 after they were stolen knowing I could get all my online stuff back.

Never bothered replacing the Wii.

I didn't even know this (although, I am a new 360 owner). Does this also apply to the PS3?

I didn't know that either. If I buy, say, Castle Crashers on my friends 360 while logged into my account, he can play it on his and I can redownload it when I'm back home on mine? Or am I misunderstanding.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
it seems obvious to me that all account activity is linked to NNIDs, which are linked to a given systems user(s).. all users on a single system can play each others downloads IIRC. It seems as though, rather than monitoring DRM by network connection at log on or as games load they are fixing NNIDs to one user on one system at a time.

On PS3, everyone can play one user's downloads. On 360, everyone can play one user's downloads. What is the benefit of the Wii U system for the end user?

even if they don't do that, it should be a simple case of a phone call. People have been able to get entire libraries of Wii software redownloaded when their systems broke, and there was near as dammit no account system there at all. For people in international territories, there is ALWAYS someone to complain to.

Which is very useful when your console is region locked, so people import consoles from other territories... or when you have famously poor distribution in EMEA and many territories have no domestic connection... or when wide swaths of Europe are outsourced to local distributors who often have no clue what you're doing.

On PS3, everyone can play one user's downloads. On 360, everyone can play one user's downloads. What is the benefit of the Wii U system for the end user?

Which is very useful when your console is region locked, so people import consoles from other territories... or when you have famously poor distribution in EMEA and many territories have no domestic connection... or when wide swaths of Europe are outsourced to local distributors who often have no clue what you're doing.

Nintendo doesn't want that, ergo it's locked to one system.

Is it anti-consumer? Yes. Is it in Nintendo's best interest? Also yes.

Replicant

Well, yeah. I tend to buy games from Australia but my main account is actually US-based. So all of my achievements are in my US account. So I'd redeemed all of the DLCs on my Australian account before I play them on my US account.

CuboidFX

Banned
I think people should tell Nintendo THIS IS BAD. Hopefully they'll change it then. Just raging about it won't solve anything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I didn't know that either. If I buy, say, Castle Crashers on my friends 360 while logged into my account, he can play it on his and I can redownload it when I'm back home on mine? Or am I misunderstanding.

If you go to your friend's house and buy Castle Crashers:

- He and every gamertag on his console can play Castle Crashers, online or offline

- You can play Castle Crashers on every console in the world, including your home console. as long as you're connected to Live. Other people at your house will also be able to play Castle Crashers, but only if you're signed in.

The "DRM migration" tool Microsoft makes available only affects the first license, the console license. That's why if you have a 360 die and you buy a new 360, you'll have to be connected to Live to play your content unless you do the DRM migration.

AzaK

They had previously told us stuff was locked to a machine but never in a million years would I think that means you couldn't transfer it to another Wii U.

I wish there could be an interview with Iwata or someone on the hardware or network design department, where the interviewer just comes out and says, "This thing you're doing is stupid and nobody likes it."

One thing - if I am downloading stuff online I don't care if I have to be online or set up single device usage for offline.

It should not be an issue to basically kill the software on another WiiU by just moving my account. Should not be difficult at all.

Nintendo really just needed to pay a third party to do all of their online stuff for them.

This is like some peoples views of Nintendo and graphics. Its not an accident. Nintendo has actively decided to say 'no' to moving between systems.
They decided this.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

I can see some publishers not liking this option. Could be solved by tying downloaded content to the account that downloaded it. Basically, you can login in on your friend's console with your own account, download GameX, but only your account can play it.

Although consumers do like the sharing option.

Zeroth

From the info gathered:

If you reserved a name with a friend, you have nothing to fear, because the process to free the ID involves deleting it from the system, which would delete all eShop activity too, and unless you go to your friend's WiiU, then buy and play stuff there, that is not a problem.

The issues only come up when you have to transfer eShop data, etc from a WiiU to another WiiU (like transferring to a new system, etc), since you need to delete all the eShop data, and although it's not clear, apparently you would need to buy everything again.

But, for that last point, Nintendo already said they are developing a way to transfer data between 2 WiiUs, so until then, the only way is probably call them.

I can see some publishers not liking this option. Could be solved by tying downloaded content to the account that downloaded it. Basically, you can login in on your friend's console with your own account, download GameX, but only your account can play it.

But if you logged onto another person's system with YOUR account, why wouldn't you be able to play it on another system using your account?

Huff

Banned
I presume so that Nintendo can transfer that account and all purchases over in the event something happens to your Wii U.

which they can do just by knowing your machine id or w/e. like if your wii was stolen

NNID is fucking worthless.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Magic.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Not 100% sure about a different machine, but what I do on the 360 and PS3 is to create multiple accounts based in different regions, in order to download region-specific stuff. Damn useful I have to say. That trick is harder to do with the Vita unfortunately.

From the info gathered:

If you reserved a name with a friend, you have nothing to fear, because the process to free the ID involves deleting it from the system, which would delete all eShop activity too, and unless you go to your friend's WiiU, then buy and play stuff there, that is not a problem.

The issues only come up when you have to transfer eShop data, etc from a WiiU to another WiiU (like transferring to a new system, etc), since you need to delete all the eShop data, and although it's not clear, apparently you would need to buy everything again.

But, for that last point, Nintendo already said they are developing a way to transfer data between 2 WiiUs, so until then, the only way is probably call them.

Nope, reserved names can't be used again to make a new NNID. According to Nintendo once it is used and deleted, that name is gone for good.

There isn't any. My point was more that I suspect they've taken the approach they've taken because it doesn't require them to put the Management in Digital Rights Management, and those downloads are secured in a way that persists offline / doesn't require online checks. I think they're wrong to do it this way, and I most definitely want - at the very least - the ability to recover an NNID on another console, and ideally - proper means to manage my software licenses. I want proper digital ownership like everyone else.

I do sympathise with anyone in those situations, but if I'd imported I'd be speaking to the subsidiary in that region and not even letting them know I lived elsewhere. I concede, it would be a problem if anything needed mailing (receipts, the hardware itself etc).. as I say, this isn't good. I'm glad they're catching heat for it.

Eusis

Nintendo doesn't want that, ergo it's locked to one system.

Is it anti-consumer? Yes. Is it in Nintendo's best interest? Also yes.
Actually Nintendo allows that unless I'm missing something, deactivating the ownership on that console (unless someone else bought it) to activate on a new console would be more than enough to fix the problem of people wildly sharing games, while not being excessively anti-consumer.
But if you logged onto another person's system with YOUR account, why wouldn't you be able to play it on another system using your account?
Because you can only log into your account from one system (including PCs!) at a time. And outside of the original console you have to be online as you play, so you can't freely share a game because only one person can be logged online, and if you're giving your information to someone else you risk them abusing it and buying crap for themselves.

Top Bottom