• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2+ |OT| The Feel of Ninja Gaiden 2

OmegaZero

title_1000pxjnuxf.png

Publisher: Tecmo Koei
Developer: Team NINJA
Platform: PlayStation Vita
Genre: Action-adventure game, Hack and Slash
Release Dates:
  • February 26, 2013 (North America)
  • March 1, 2013 (Europe)
  • February 28, 2013 (Japan)
Price: $39.99, £34.99, ¥6,090
Players 1
FPS
sub-
lol :(
Official Site
ZWTYrP3.png

banner_aboutxvsnv.png

The beautiful, fast-paced action of the Ninja Gaiden series once again strikes the PlayStation Vita through Ninja Gaiden Σ2+! Ninja Gaiden Σ2+ is an enhanced port of Ninja
Gaiden Σ2 (which itself is an altered port of Ninja Gaiden 2 for the Xbox 360), offering new features for returning fans while making the game more accessible for newcomers
to the series. It is currently unknown whether online features like Ninja Cinema or Leaderboards are still present in this port.

For those unaware, Ninja Gaiden 2 (and its various ports) are 3D action games with a focus on combat. Players are pitted against groups of enemies and powerful bosses,
armed with a variety of weaponry and techniques. The story focuses on Super Ninja Ryu Hayabusa as he once again fights to save the world from the demon-like Fiends one
year after the events of the first Ninja Gaiden.

Are you a badass enough ninja to save the world? Find out in the definitive version of Ninja Gaiden
Σ

banner_storyrss6h.png

Kill shit. The end.

Okay fine. Being a port, Ninja Gaiden Σ2+ follows the same storyline as Ninja Gaiden Σ2. One year after the events of Ninja Gaiden, the evil Black Spider ninja have
teamed up with the monstrous Fiends to steal a special statue from Ryu Hayabusa’s ninja clan. Travel across the globe as you attempt to save the world, achieve your
ninja
re
vengeance and retrieve the Demon Statue by killing everything in your way.

Honestly, the less you care about the story, the more you’ll enjoy this game. Just think of it as an excuse to murderize anything that blinks at you.

banner_gameplayx0spn.png

Ninja Gaiden may be classified as a “hack and slash”, but playing it like a Dynasty Warriors game will get you killed. The 3D Ninja Gaiden games have become
synonymous with deep, tough, yet mostly fair combat. Ryu has a variety of offensive and defensive techniques, and a veritable encyclopedia of attacks for every
weapon that you can wield in this game.
Speaking of weapons, let’s take a look the numerous death-dealers that Ryu picks up as he progresses through the story mode:
  • Dragon Sword – This legendary katana is the go-to weapon for any situation.
  • Lunar Staff – A staff that can be upgraded with spiked maces attached by chains on either end for brutally effective crowd control.
  • Falcon Talons – Fulfill your inner Wolverine fantasies with these weaponized gauntlets.
  • Dragon's Claw and Tiger's Fang – Dual katana first introduced in Ninja Gaiden Σ, they allow for powerful and unique combos that may leave Ryu vulnerable to attack.
  • Kusari-Gama – A scythe and a spiked weight attached to either end of a long chain, allowing for deadly attacks from long range.
  • Eclipse Scythe – This large scythe has strong attacks and wide range, but slow attack speed.
  • Tonfa – This brutal weapon allows Ryu to cancel his combos into a Reverse Wind, making it a powerful tool despite its short range.
  • Vigoorian Flails – Blades attached to the ends of a pair of nunchucks. What this weapon lacks in power
    and usefulness
    it makes up for in badassery.
  • Enma's Fang – This large sword compensates for its limited moveset with surprisingly fast and powerful attacks.

On top of all that, you have three additional playable characters, each with their own unique weapon and a chapter in the Story Mode dedicated to them:
  • Ayane - Fast, but weak, her attacks have a high delimb rate.
  • Momiji - Average speed and power, but can fight in midair like nobody else.
  • Rachel - Her attacks may be slow, but her Warhammer hits like a truck.

Being a port of Ninja Gaiden 2, Ninja Gaiden Σ2+ features a dismemberment system that allows the playable characters to cut off the limbs of enemies during their attacks.
Enemies that survive will become more dangerous, even attempting to blow themselves up in order to kill you. To prevent this, you can use Obliteration Techniques, which
allow your character to brutally finish off injured foes with a press of the heavy attack button.

banner_controlskjsmq.png

Shamelessly copied from a Master Ninja’s Ninja Gaiden II OT.

controlseoib2.png

banner_featuresk3sg0.png

Here are the new features that Ninja Gaiden Σ2+ brings to the table:

Blood – Fans that cried themselves to sleep over the censorship of gore in Ninja Gaiden Σ2 need to punish themselves no longer, as the localized versions of Ninja Gaiden
Σ2+ bring back the blood effects in all their red, spurting, ketchupy glory. Ninja Gaiden Σ2 is now more visceral then ever!

Hero Mode - Returning from Ninja Gaiden Σ Plus, this “difficulty” mode allows newcomers to experience more fast-paced ninja action and less “Game Over” screens.
When Ryu’s health is low, he’ll gain the following temporary abilities when playing on Hero Mode:
  • Automatically dodging and blocking attacks.
  • More damage to enemies.
  • A higher chance for attacks to cut off a limb.
Hero Mode in Ninja Gaiden Σ Plus also gave Ryu infinite health and Ninpo for a period of time. It remains to be seen if that is still the case here.

Ninja Race Mode– In this mode, players are confronted with a linear level populated with enemy waves. Their goal is to make it to the end, whether they decide to rush
through the level as fast as possible or viciously kill as many enemies as possible for maximum points. As enemies are killed in sequence, the Combo Kill counter in the
left-hand corner will rise, making Ryu’s attacks more powerful. In addition, Ryu can collect pickups exclusive to this mode: Green Essence which adds time to the clock,
White Essence which boosts the Combo Kill counter, and Purple Essence which grants “Ninja Speed” – a mode that keeps the Kill Counter Gauge from lowering over time.

Tag Missions – During Tag Missions, players can switch between their player character and an AI controlled teammate with a quick tap of the d-pad. This is a
replacement for the co-op mode present in Ninja Gaiden Σ2.
A article posted by Siliconera claims that Tag Missions can be played in a "Turbo Mode", where characters move at a faster speed.

New Costumes – Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus includes new costumes for every playable character. Three are Gamestop/EB Games exclusive preorders, while it is unclear
whether the others shown are DLC or new in-game unlockables.

banner_mediax4s9s.png

banner_reviewsjusjp.png

Modojo - 4/5
PlayStation LifeStyle - 7.5/10
IGN - 6/10
Destructoid - 5.5/10

banner_faqemslv.png

Is the purple mist still there?
Not for the localized versions. Purple mist is Japanese exclusive.​

Who are the two dudes in the title banner?
The strikingly handsome man on the left is former head of Team NINJA Tomonobu Itagaki, creator of the 3D Ninja Gaiden games and the Dead or Alive series.
The er, man on the right is Yosuke Hayashi, current head of Team NINJA Dog and the person responsible for the ports of Ninja Gaiden to the PS3 and Vita.​

Is this game hard? I heard it was hard.
Yes, it is. Get used to seeing the Game Over screen, especially on higher difficulties.​

Does this run at native resolution like Ninja Gaiden Σ Plus?
Nope. To get a better idea of how it'll look, open up a screenshot on your PlayStation Vita.​

Does this run at 60fps?
Nope. People who got their hands on the Hong Kong version have confimed that this runs at a mostly stable 30 nina dogs frames per second.​

Does this game have trophies? A Platinum trophy?
Yes and yes.​

Why are there so many Hayashi pictures?
Because just having text banners is boring. And Hayashi is exciting.​

I’m new to Ninja Gaiden and this game is too hard! What can I do?
See if the Help section below helps. If it doesn’t, then consider trying a lower difficulty if possible.​

When do us Σ2 owners get the blood patched back in?
lol

banner_helph0srp.png

Learn more about the subtleties of the game here. While Ryu is mentioned here, he is just being used as an example and most of these apply to the other playable
characters as well. It should also be noted that several of these abilities are only gained later in the game, and may not be available for use immediately.

Block
Pressing L allows Ryu to block, deflecting most attacks. Unless you’re in the middle of slicing a ninja in half, there’s no excuse not to be holding this button
in the middle of combat. Not only does it allow Ryu to use Reverse Wind, but it prevents you from absorbing essence.​

Counter
By pressing the light or heavy buttons while blocking, Ryu will temporarily assume a stance where he can counter melee attacks. This only lasts for a split
second and does not work on projectile, guard-breaking, or unblockable attacks. Nonetheless, pulling off a successful counter will allow Ryu to respond with
powerful attacks.​

Reverse Wind
By pressing L and tilting the left analog stick in any direction, Ryu can perform a dash that grants him invincibility frames for an extremely short period of time.
Allows for more defensive movement then running during combat.​

Furious Wind
When a heavy attack breaks your guard, Ryu will stagger back. If you perform a Reverse Wind during this animation, Ryu will dash straight out of the animation,
preventing you from being hit by follow up attacks.​

Dash Jumping
By jumping and performing Reverse Wind in succession, Ryu move at a faster speed then when he is simply running.​

Wind Run
By pressing the X and Square buttons at the same time, Ryu will do a homing jump toward a nearby opponent while emitting an afterimage. This move helps you
land midair attacks against nearby opponents, like the Flying Swallow.​

Wind Path
By pressing X in midair above an enemy, Ryu will stomp on an enemy’s head, stunning it for a few seconds. While it cannot stun larger opponents, the Wind Path
gives you time to set up an attack or move to a more advantageous position in groups with smaller enemies. This move is most easily done by using Wind Run
and then pressing X when Ryu is on top of an enemy.​

Guillotine Throw
If you press Square and X at the same time while jumping or using a Wind Run toward an opponent, Ryu will grab an enemy by the head, flip over in midair and
throw them in the direction he was moving in. This move isn’t that damaging, but gives Ryu invincibility frames and can be used to throw an enemy into others,
giving you some breathing room.​

Obliteration Techniques
During his attacks, Ryu can cut off the limbs of his enemies. When this occurs, he gains the ability to perform an Obliteration Technique on them – killing them and
granting him large amounts of invincibility frames. To perform an Obliteration Technique, press Triangle near a downed opponent.​

Ninpo
By pressing the Triangle and Circle buttons at the same time, Ryu can perform a powerful magic attack that kills or heavily damages whatever he targets (with
bosses as an exception). Ryu can use four different types of Ninpo, each useful in certain circumstances.​

Essence/Ultimate Techniques
By pressing and holding Triangle, Ryu can gather energy into his weapon that he unleashes in a powerful series of attacks. This can be charged up to two levels:
Essence Techniques, which are indicated by a blue explosion and aura of energy around Ryu, and Ultimate Techniques, which are indicated by a red explosion and
aura of energy around Ryu. Both grant Ryu generous amounts of invincibility frames and usually result in a kill or dismemberment of the enemies it connects with.
It is important to note that enemies aren’t just going to let Ryu stand there and charge up, but there’s another way of gaining enough energy to use for an
Essence/Ultimate Technique. As Ryu destroys his enemies, you may notice that they release orbs of energy called Essence. These can be absorbed by Ryu to
instantly charge up enough energy to use an Essence or Ultimate Technique.​

On-Landing Charge
As soon as Ryu lands on the ground, whether from a jump or a self-launching attack, he enters a temporary state called “on-landing”, that modifies the properties of
several of his moves.
Ryu can take advantage of this state to instantly absorb nearby essence to perform an Essence or Ultimate Technique. By pressing the heavy attack button upon
landing, Ryu can skip the animation that precedes his energy gathering and immediately be prepared to unleash a Essence/Ultimate Technique.​

General Tips
The 3D Ninja Gaiden games are what you might call “strategic action” games. The combat is less about flashy combos and more about reacting to and punishing
attacks. As you progress, you’ll have to deal with situations where a variety of enemies are attacking you at once from various distances - forcing you to
prioritize which foe you wish to kill. To that end, moves that grant you invincibility frames are your best friend, especially Obliteration Techniques and
Ultimate Techniques.
Bosses play out very differently, however. Unlike most enemies, bosses can only be safely attacked during certain periods of time - generally after they have
completed an attack or combo. Don't expect to be able to perform full combos on them either, as they will often block or evade your attacks midcombo, if they
get stunned at all.
Do not be afraid to use your Ninpo or healing items at first. They are there for you to use, after all. Using Ninpo at the right times can make certain boss
encounters much shorter and easier then they may be without Ninpo.​

banner_creditshgsxv.png

Ninja Gaiden Wiki - For information regarding the game.
Gematsu - For the screenshots.
Itagaki - For making Ninja Gaiden 2.
Hayashi - For bringing Σ2 to the PlayStation Vita, and for being exciting.
You - For actually reading these credits. Have an oatmeal cookie.

banner_enderu5jjt.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
More blood, less frames > Donte must Cry reference that doesn't fit Ninja Gaiden. :(

Dantis

Aaaaall preordered. Been playing through NGS+ again to get prepped. That Vita L button is not as reliable as the 360 trigger, that's for sure.

khaaan

I think the picture of the oatmeal cookie is no longer working or was never set up correctly.

lol @ url

Vigoorian Flails aren't useless. They're not as good as in ngb, but probably the best way to deal with the ghostfish and some other more agile enemies. Will pick this up, once I get a vita. Would love to know if the enemies are still hp sponges like they where in the original sigma or back to vanilla ng2.

OmegaZero

I think the picture of the oatmeal cookie is no longer working or was never set up correctly.

lol @ url

It should be working now.

Never played NG2, do they have any kind of quick restart a boss fight after game over?

Also... is the camera as shitty as 1?

Yes, this game has checkpoints and no, the camera is not as terrible. Which isn't saying much.

Vigoorian Flails aren't useless. They're not as good as in ngb, but probably the best way to deal with the ghostfish and some other more agile enemies. Will pick this up, once I get a vita. Would love to know if the enemies are still hp sponges like they where in the original sigma or back to vanilla ng2.

They are fun to use, but outclassed by most weapons in every area except ghost fish killing imo.

With that image quality its 60fps or bust.

The pics look much better on the Vita's screen.

Aeana

Is the purple mist still there?
Not for the localized versions. Purple mist is Japanese exclusive.​

So there's no way to get the mist if I bought the NA version? Oh well.
I'm looking forward to this. I haven't played NG2 since it came out on 360.

Pein

Banned
Can't wait, sigma 1 was my favorite launch game for the vita and I loved ninja gaiden 2 and sigma 2. Always missed that blood, the feeling of the combat when you slice through enemy's and it look so ridiculous was great.

Does the game keep the co-op missions?

OmegaZero

So there's no way to get the mist if I bought the NA version? Oh well.
I'm looking forward to this. I haven't played NG2 since it came out on 360.

I guess it's possible that it's just an option you can toggle?

That may be an option, but I haven't read or heard anything about it.
Then again, there isn't much concrete info currently out on the game.

All I know is that media regarding the JP version has showcased the censoring present in the original Σ2. We can always hope.

EDIT:
PSY・S;47935053 said:
What happened to Itagaki's face from the first banner to the last?

The lighting of the pictures is different, but his face is the same.

Dr Dogg

Got a nice reminder in the form of an email this was coming out soon. I'm shocked how cheap this is as well (£20-£25). Tempted to pick it up but still haven't finished it on 360 yet.

Are there going to be equipable items like there are in Sigma+? I really thought that they added a lot of strategy to the game.

Dantis

Got a nice reminder in the form of an email this was coming out soon. I'm shocked how cheap this is as well (£20-£25). Tempted to pick it up but still haven't finished it on 360 yet.

Yup, I managed to get it for £21. Reasonable enough for a day 1 purchase, I feel!

Ken

Are those extra characters only playable in that single chapter dedicated to them or can you use them through the entire single player plus that bonus chapter?

anddo0

I'm guessing this will be another 2GB+ download?

I didn't know it was coming so soon.. Time to pre-order I guess.

Dr Dogg

This was from Amazon.uk, right? I might want to put that in the OP.

At the moment Amazon have it for £22.99 but the email I got was from Zavvi which at the time was £21.98 and there's usually an abundance of 10% off vouchers around but it's now back up to £23.98.

Kyon

Banned
I thought the mist was something we were supposed to blame on Hayashi, and the gore is from Itagodki?

Idek anymore lol

I just want mist tbh. I had my fair share of gore with NG3:RE. :D

I LIKED mist in Sigma2. It's my favorite NG game eva ( .__.)

OmegaZero

Are those extra characters only playable in that single chapter dedicated to them or can you use them through the entire single player plus that bonus chapter?

If I'm remembering correctly, the girls are playable only in their respective chapters.
You can select them for use during Tag Missions or Ninja Race mode, however.

Yeah, it's kind of like a stealth release. Didn't know since the last week of January.

Almost like a ninja. ;)

No more mist? Ugh why can't I set that in options? Hayashit gonna Hayashit

They haven't said anything about that, but it might be an option.

At the moment Amazon have it for £22.99 but the email I got was from Zavvi which at the time was £21.98 and there's usually an abundance of 10% off vouchers around but it's now back up to £23.98.

Ah, okay then. Thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom