• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2+ |OT| The Feel of Ninja Gaiden 2

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shit have to preorder it for the costumes.

Unless they pull a Sigma+ on those, they aren't really going to be worth it. Just purely cosmetic and frankly so long as the Doppleganger skin and NG outfit skins are in, those are > your favs.

Seems like it.
There's a button on the touch screen dedicated to it as well.

If Six-Axis can't be turned off, Team Ninja Dog hasn't learned from Sigma +. By far the worst "addition" to that port besides the 30FPS downgrade.

DR2K

Banned
Unless they pull a Sigma+ on those, they aren't really going to be worth it. Just purely cosmetic and frankly so long as the Doppleganger skin and NG outfit skins are in, those are > your favs.

If Six-Axis can't be turned off, Team Ninja Dog hasn't learned from Sigma +. By far the worst "addition" to that port besides the 30FPS downgrade.

I want them anyways, I found those skins to be quite hot.

Ken

If I'm remembering correctly, the girls are playable only in their respective chapters.
You can select them for use during Tag Missions or Ninja Race mode, however.

That sounds like a waste in bothering to create extra characters with their own tools and stuff. :(

Aeana

Why would you want to do that?

Dismemberment is actually pretty core to the gameplay.

The concept of dismemberment is fine with me, I just hated how the limbs stuck around and ate up all the framerate in the original version. I know they fixed that problem in Sigma 2 on PS3 by making them disappear, but how is it handled in this one?

bumpkin

I gave Ninja Gaiden Σ+ a whirl via the PS+ freebie promotion and played it quite a bit; just beat it last night as a matter of fact. There were bits and pieces that ticked me off and grated the nerves
like the ghost piranha in the ruins and the platforming bit at the end
, but overall it was pretty enjoyable. I wouldn't have felt slighted or disappointed had it been a retail game I'd bought. I just wish there was a good way to back up my save file so I could delete it from my memory card to free up space.

At any rate, I'm at least a little interested in 2 with my experience playing through 1. I didn't mind the demo of vanilla NG2 on the 360 I played a long time ago, and this sounds like it's that and more (in terms of extra content).

Revan

I gave Ninja Gaiden Σ+ a whirl via the PS+ freebie promotion and played it quite a bit; just beat it last night as a matter of fact. There were bits and pieces that ticked me off and grated the nerves
, but overall it was pretty enjoyable. I wouldn't have felt slighted or disappointed had it been a retail game I'd bought. I just wish there was a good way to back up my save file so I could delete it from my memory card to free up space.

At any rate, I'm at least a little interested in 2 with my experience playing through 1. I didn't mind the demo of vanilla NG2 on the 360 I played a long time ago, and this sounds like it's that and more (in terms of extra content).

Cloud save via the Content Manager on the Vita - then you can delete the game...

EDIT - Or Content Manager via a PC and back it up that way....

PS+ cloud storage?

OmegaZero

The concept of dismemberment is fine with me, I just hated how the limbs stuck around and ate up all the framerate in the original version. I know they fixed that problem in Sigma 2 on PS3 by making them disappear, but how is it handled in this one?

Likely the same as Sigma 2.
Footage (and images like in the OP) have shown limbs rolling everywhere after being cut off, but I doubt they persist for long.

Honestly, I don't like graphically violent games.

As Zampano has stated, the dismemberment mechanic is a core part of the gameplay. You may want to consider waiting to see if there is an option to at least turn on the purple mist censoring, or think about purchasing Σ2 if you have a PS3 and want to experience a less violent Ninja Gaiden.

Emphasis on the less. Ninja Gaiden has and likely always will focus on violence. If watching the trailers turns you off, then this probably isn't the game for you.

P90

Likely the same as Sigma 2.
Footage (and images like in the OP) have shown limbs rolling everywhere after being cut off, but I doubt they persist for long.

As Zampano has stated, the dismemberment mechanic is a core part of the gameplay. You may want to consider waiting to see if there is an option to at least turn on the purple mist censoring, or think about purchasing Σ2 if you have a PS3 and want to experience a less violent Ninja Gaiden.

Emphasis on the less. Ninja Gaiden has and likely always will focus on violence. If watching the trailers turns you off, then this probably isn't the game for you.

Then why on earth would you buy Ninja Gaiden II?

The whole game was centered around gore.

It is the blood and gore. It has been awhile, but I thought in NGB you could turn it off. I don't have problem occasionally playing a violent game. It is the gore that I don't like. For example I think DMC and Onimusha are acceptably violent games, but not gory or graphically violent.

If NG2 is all about the gore then it isn't the game for me. Thanks for the insight.

NGB was less gory. But only due to technical reasons. Still there is blood and beheading. NG2 is designed around dismemberment. And that was also the problem with sigma 2. It tried to cut the massive amount of enemies present in vanilla to be more like ngb.

In exchange they beefed up the hp of enemies like the black spider clan. But because of the dismemberment the game was really easy. So Sigma 2 felt like a bastard child between ngb and ng2.

Don't want to start another discussion whether vanilla or sigma is better, though.

I still haven't even beaten the first one. I'm stuck on the part right after Rachel's chapter where you have to fight 2 bikers. The guillotine throw is crazy difficult to pull off on a Vita.

mao2

It is the blood and gore. It has been awhile, but I thought in NGB you could turn it off. I don't have problem occasionally playing a violent game. It is the gore that I don't like. For example I think DMC and Onimusha are acceptably violent games, but not gory or graphically violent.

If NG2 is all about the gore then it isn't the game for me. Thanks for the insight.
Yeah, you should definitely try out the PS3 version of NGΣ2 if there's no option to turn off the gore in NGΣ2+. It still has dismemberment, but isn't gory at all. I too dislike games that are overly violent, so I found NGΣ2 to be very enjoyable.

Hopefully there's an option to turn off all the red stuff in the PS3/360 version of NG3RE as well...

OmegaZero

Don't want to start another discussion whether vanilla or sigma is better, though.

It's not like there's really much else to discuss at the moment. :b
Except stuff that hasn't been confirmed yet. I still have no idea how much carried over from Σ2, assuming blood wasn't the only major change.

So far, the worst case scenario is:
-30fps.
-No online functions.
-No Japanese voice option.
-No co-op (Team Mission mode).
-Forced gyro aiming for the Fiend's Bane Bow/Howling Cannon.
-No "blood toggle".
-Neutered chapters (like the infamous Chapter 14) remain neutered.
-Incendiary and Windmill Shuriken still left out.
-Unchanged Team Missions (simply renamed to Tag Missions).
-Unchanged/barely changed trophy list from Σ2.
-New costumes are DLC instead of unlockables.

And most of that is looking likely imo.

Bad7667

It's not like there's really much else to discuss at the moment. :b
Except stuff that hasn't been confirmed yet. I still have no idea how much carried over from Σ2, assuming blood wasn't the only major change.

So far, the worst case scenario is:
-30fps.
-No online functions.
-No Japanese voice option.
-No co-op (Team Mission mode).
-Forced gyro aiming for the Fiend's Bane Bow/Howling Cannon.
-No "blood toggle".
-Neutered chapters (like the infamous Chapter 14) remain neutered.
-Incendiary and Windmill Shuriken still left out.
-Unchanged Team Missions (simply renamed to Tag Missions).
-Unchanged/barely changed trophy list from Σ2.
-New costumes are DLC instead of unlockables.

And most of that is looking likely imo.
I think he was talking about Ninja Gaiden 2 vs Sigma 2.

NG2 is the better game.

OmegaZero

I think he was talking about Ninja Gaiden 2 vs Sigma 2.

NG2 is the better game.

Oh I know. And I agree with him - the last thing anyone wants is for this to turn into another NG2 vs Σ2 debate thread.

Right? :b

Are there going to be equipable items like there are in Sigma+? I really thought that they added a lot of strategy to the game.

Can't believe I missed this post, but I have to say that I honestly don't know, and it's not looking likely that there is. The Accessories system was ridiculed by fans because the right combination of items effectively broke the game (OHKO Flying Swallows on Master Ninja, for example).
Not that anyone REALLY cared since there were no leaderboards.

No media shown thus far has mentioned anything about a similar system being implemented, so I'd say that you shouldn't get your hopes up.

We're not going to have the epic staircase, are we?

Best.

Flaw.

Ever.

IIRC they even patched that out of NG2.
So nope.

And even if they did something similar, it would be horrible on Vita since the engine drops the framerate instead of the action.

I would really love Vanilla Ninja Gaiden 2 with better visuals and the fixed bow controls of Sigma 2. The game would be a huge step up. Finish the water combat Itagaki intented to give a bigger part, or cut it out completely.

It feels like Hayashi just adds new costumes and is not really into the gameplay at all or passionated about it. There is so much to polish in ng2.

OmegaZero

Epic thread title,the game seems to run at native res with no AA.

How do you figure? All of the screens and videos shown so far (with the initial batch of bullshots screens as the exception) have demonstrated the game running at sub-native resolution.

If there is any information to the contrary, I'll gladly update the OP.

I would really love Vanilla Ninja Gaiden 2 with better visuals and the fixed bow controls of Sigma 2. The game would be a huge step up. Finish the water combat Itagaki intented to give a bigger part, or cut it out completely.

It feels like Hayashi just adds new costumes and is not really into the gameplay at all or passionated about it. There is so much to polish in ng2.

Agreed with the bolded. NGΣ2 took a step back for every step it took forward imo, ensuring that there would be no "definitive" version. And with Team NINJA being the way they are now, I feel that an updated version of NG2 is out of the question.

That's also why this port is interesting, because it gives Team NINJA a chance to correct some of the missteps they took with Σ2.

Maybe this time, Hayashi will take that chance. Maybe he won't (which is very likely).
He did claim that there would be numerous "hardcore" changes in a PS Blog interview. If they added the blood back, who knows what else they might have changed?

Sid

How do you figure? All of the screens and videos shown so far (with the initial batch of bullshots screens as the exception) have demonstrated the game running at sub-native resolution.

If there is any information to the contrary, I'll gladly update the OP.
Compare the NGS+ screens to these ones on the Vita itself,I'm guessing ofc.

He did claim that there would be numerous "hardcore" changes in a PS Blog interview. If they added the blood back, who knows what else they might have changed?
Yeah,
that's what I hope for. While I understand this is just a portable Sigma2 with many disadvantages like downscaled graphics and probably 30fps, it would be nice if they'd fix some of the obvious wrong decisions they made.

SkylineRKR

In my opinion, vanilla NG2 with some more polish and appropriate fixes (performance, balance, off screen projectiles) would be the best game in the genre ever. The core gameplay, challenge and enemy AI of NG2 kills everything even Platinum Games puts out. It was just that good and satisfying.

It feels like Hayashi just adds new costumes and is not really into the gameplay at all or passionated about it.

Someting really weird if you take into account that he was one of the guys in charge of Enemy AI and Battle Design in the first Ninja Gaiden. I think he it's not like Itagaki, Itagaki was on charge of the studio and also directing the games or involved with the gameplay mechanics, Hayashi looks to me like he it's managing the studio and doing paper work, but probably he is not the kind of guy who gets dirty anymore now that he is the "boss".

Revan

I've been wondering this too - maybe NG3:RE, with the re-inclusion of the Scarabs and Tests of Valor, have made their way back into the game?

The other thing that I've been wondering about is the bow control locked to the touchscreen - maybe IS and WS have been re-added as well?

The lack of proper info for this title this close to launch is really odd - if the first one sold as well as Team Ninja Dog claims it did, why wouldn't they over hype this version through the roof (outside of the fact that this is a port of a port of course)?

Famitsu score:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus (PS Vita, Koei Tecmo): 8 / 8 / 9 / 8 - (33/40)

Does anyone have a translation of what they said about the game other then the review score?

Vossler

Yeah, I'm intrigued by this review as well, even though it is Famitsu. Also, how is the first Ninja Gaiden on the Vita? Might pick it up to play before.

Revan

Minus the terrible forced gyro aiming with the bow controls, NGS+ is exactly like NGS on the PS3 @ 30fps (if you care about that kind of stuff). The IQ is worth it alone for a free download.

Be quick if you do get it however as NGS+ on the Vita is gone next Tuesday from the PS+ rotation.

Revan

I can't believe I'm going to have two of the best action games ever on my handheld.

I need to go preorder this.

I did that yesterday. The first game I got for the Vita was NGS+ and I thought to myself "man NGS2 would be fuckin awesome on the go"......and sure enough next Tuesday that thought becomes realized.

I'm guessing we are going to get Sigma 3 (Razor's Edge) on the Vita by the Holidays this year....

OmegaZero

Compare the NGS+ screens to these ones on the Vita itself,I'm guessing ofc.

Yeah, the screens look great on the Vita but even then, you can tell they're subnative by looking at the HUD in comparison to the 3D graphics.

Famitsu score:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus (PS Vita, Koei Tecmo): 8 / 8 / 9 / 8 - (33/40)

Not too bad.

I did that yesterday. The first game I got for the Vita was NGS+ and I thought to myself "man NGS2 would be fuckin awesome on the go"......and sure enough next Tuesday that thought becomes realized.

I'm guessing we are going to get Sigma 3 (Razor's Edge) on the Vita by the Holidays this year....

Day 0 for portable Kasumi.
Hopefully they'll address the targeting issues and/or encounter balance on higher difficulties.

Revan

Day 0 for portable Kasumi.
Hopefully they'll address the targeting issues and/or encounter balance on higher difficulties.

Right there with ya. My biggest concern is the recovery time/animations - on the higher settings Ryu recovers much MUCH slower then the AI and it makes playing the game more frustrating then it should be. There are balance issues as well but it's always been the recovery time that has been a sticking point about NG3/NG3RE that really irritates me.

OmegaZero

Right there with ya. My biggest concern is the recovery time/animations - on the higher settings Ryu recovers much MUCH slower then the AI and it makes playing the game more frustrating then it should be. There are balance issues as well but it's always been the recovery time that has been a sticking point about NG3/NG3RE that really irritates me.

That does explain some of the issues I've been having. The enemies that give me the most trouble currently are those Mechanized Chimera that flying swallow away from your attacks. @_@

Also, anyone think I should add a Hayashi Avatar section?
You know you want it.

Top Bottom