• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2+ |OT| The Feel of Ninja Gaiden 2

DasRaven

I'm really trying to get hyped and buy this game, but I'd need something more than costumes to make the jump. Have there been any sightings of a new game plus feature in this one?

OmegaZero

I'm really trying to get hyped and buy this game, but I'd need something more than costumes to make the jump. Have there been any sightings of a new game plus feature in this one?

Since it's a port of Ninja Gaiden Σ2, there probably isn't going to be one.
You don't like Chapter Challenge?

Revan

I know it's a port of NGS2 but I'd really like to see the tests of valors put back into the game......I know it probably won't happen but they did do it with RE so maybe it's possible?

branny

I knowww this is probably a stupid question, but if I didn't like vanilla NG2, is there any chance I'd enjoy Sigma 2?

NG2 still disappoints me as a sequel to a game that had a huge interconnected world with beautifully-paced encounters and exploration. It feels so tiring in comparison, with little else to break up the action between its overly mobby fights. Do the fewer (albeit stronger) enemies in Sigma 2 alleviate that feeling at all?

You can't use other characters in chapter missions like in Razor's Edge, either, right?

OmegaZero

30fps AND sub-native res? Extremely disappointing.

That's one way to look at it.
If Ninja Gaiden Σ2+ has kept Σ2's lighting (and footage indicates that it may have), then I personally can understand the decrease in IQ.

EDIT:
I knowww this is probably a stupid question, but if I didn't like vanilla NG2, is there any chance I'd enjoy Sigma 2?

NG2 still disappoints me as a sequel to a game that had a huge interconnected world with beautifully-paced encounters and exploration. It feels so tiring in comparison, with little else to break up the action between its overly mobby fights. Do the fewer (albeit stronger) enemies in Sigma 2 alleviate that feeling at all?

You can't use other characters in chapter missions like in Razor's Edge, either, right?

Σ2 removed basically all of the "puzzles" present in NG2, focusing the story more on the fights. So it may be even more repetitive for you unless you enjoyed the slower paced fights of Black/Sigma. Even then, pitting Ryu with his NG2 moveset against fewer enemies makes the game easier despite the buffs given to them.
A common complaint in Ninja Gaiden 2 was that players weren't given an opportunity to experiment with Ryu's moveset at higher difficulties due to the copious amounts of projectiles and large amounts of enemies. This is alleviated somewhat in Σ2, but enemies use their grab attacks more frequently on higher difficulties - making it dangerous to perform extended combos.

It's been a while, but I believe in Razor's Edge, you can use any character in every chapter during chapter select.

branny

Oh, yeah, exactly--I like using other characters for story chapters in Razor's Edge and was hoping maybe Sigma 2 Plus had that functionality, too.

I think I'll watch some Sigma 2 playthroughs on YouTube and go from there, thanks!

Dantis

Oh, yeah, exactly--I like using other characters for story chapters in Razor's Edge and was hoping maybe Sigma 2 Plus had that functionality, too.

I think I'll watch some Sigma 2 playthroughs on YouTube and go from there, thanks!

Sigma 2 is very similar to NG2. I can't imagine you liking one but not the other.

And no, you can only use the female characters in mission mode and their own singular chapter.

OmegaZero

Keep in mind that unlike Razor's Edge, Σ2 (and by extension Σ2+) restricts the girls to their own chapters, unless you use them in the extra missions.

OmegaZero

It's like the previous one exactly.

Finished all NGS+ missions, ready for NGS2+. :)

So it's the JP launch trailer that you posted?
Also, good job. How long did it take for you to beat the one where you face Nichhae and Ishtaros with Rachel?

That one took me about a month. The only thing that stood between me and the Platinum. @_@

Ken

Got my copy. Gamestop didn't know about the pre-order costumes so I have to try again tomorrow.

Textures are kind of bleh, and there are some bad frame rate drops with a lot of enemies, but I'm having fun. Also reminds me how bad I am at NG lol.

Razor's Edge talk reminds me to hope they bring the 360 RE port to North America.

DR2K

Banned
Got my copy. Gamestop didn't know about the pre-order costumes so I have to try again tomorrow.

Textures are kind of bleh, and there are some bad frame rate drops with a lot of enemies, but I'm having fun. Also reminds me how bad I am at NG lol.

Razor's Edge talk reminds me to hope they bring the 360 RE port to North America.

Gamestops are having midnight sales or did it release today?

Mesharey

So it's the JP launch trailer that you posted?
Also, good job. How long did it take for you to beat the one where you face Nichhae and Ishtaros with Rachel?

That one took me about a month. The only thing that stood between me and the Platinum. @_@
Yes, exactly.

That mission, well, maybe 3 tries ? :p
I was spamming her jump on the wall then attack. XD

OmegaZero

Yes, exactly.

That mission, well, maybe 3 tries ? :p
I was spamming her jump on the wall then attack. XD

Oh.
That method never worked for me. >_>

How much is "a lot"? :<
Does it have a Japanese voice option?

Different time zone.

Oh yeah, loading times feel really long and there's an awkward pause whenever you bring up menus or the tutorial messages.

Long compared to &#931; Plus?

Ken

I never played Sigma Plus.

In the audio options there's a ?????????? so that might be it. Otherwise, I didn't see it.

Ken

Any tips for the combat? Having just played Revengeance I'm trying to parry everything and that's no good :(

Mesharey

Any tips for the combat? Having just played Revengeance I'm trying to parry everything and that's no good :(
controlseoib2.png

Survive is your friend. ;)

Try to keep holding L most of the time, don't counter unless you're certain you can counter.

OmegaZero

Bad idea.
The counter attack isn't as, er, spammable as the parry (for lack of better words). You're rewarded more by going on the offensive. Make an opening with by pressing the jump button on an enemy's head (easiest way to do this is to press X and Square at the same time and then pressing X when you're above an enemy).
While holding the block button when you're not slicing up ninja is a good habit, don't just stand there. Use Ryu's dash to move around and avoid attacks so you can combo. From a block, you can also dash jump, which allows you to stay mobile while still leaving few openings.

If you see an enemy attacking you while you combo, hold block. In most cases, Ryu will interrupt his animation to block the attack.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
30fps AND sub-native res? Extremely disappointing.
Well, consider this: both console iterations of this game were unable to maintain a stable 60 fps and, in fact, the XBOX360 iteration operated at 1024x576 itself (sub-720p).

OmegaZero

The trophy list looks surprisingly doable. No weapon grinding trophies either.

The trophy list is leaked?
Where can I find them?

EDIT:
Here is the EU launch trailer (I'm assuming the US one is the same):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItSuJjXZEO4&

It is different then the Japanese version....

Nice find.
As I expected, it's the JP launch trailer with English voices and localized gameplay clips.
Some areas of the game look better then I was expecting.

Dantis

*sigh*

Just checked my order status on TheHut. Packed and awaiting dispatch.

Estimated dispatch date? March the frigging 1st.

Revan

Just picked up my preorder - the EB by me ha no display copies at all and the Walmart close to me hadn't received shipment yet.

FYI to any NG players in the GTA area

Revan

So I just opened the game and NO DLC code anywhere to be found, including the receipt.

Same thing happened to someone over on GameFAQS as well.

Wonder if Team Ninja Dog fucked up with this....

Top Bottom