• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2+ |OT| The Feel of Ninja Gaiden 2

Nah, I was just hoping it'd be a bit more playable since trophies are attached to it.
I'll have to decide if it's a dealbreaker when I play it.

EDIT:

Only for a second or so, right?

EDIT2: Eh Tag Mission mode doesn't seem that bad.

Its hard to compare youtube to real life (plus different missions) but my tag mission seemed smoother, there were some real harsh drops in that one. So at least from that it seems gore off does improve frame rate.

anddo0

Wow this ruins my plans :(

Thanks as always to the GAF community for being so swift with these things. I also drooped $40 on the digital version.

DasRaven

1. Nice of them to include the DLC bonus outfits free with the digital game, even if it is for a limited time.
2. Single player looks acceptable, tag mode much less so.
3. Enabling gore makes the game run worse and it isn't even really that much gore.
4. Probably going to pass on this one and wait for it to hit PS+ IGC.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Please don't waste your money on this game, folks. It's not "acceptable." It's awful.

Wait and see if it gets patched first.

I'm going to play more of it with the gore off and see how much it helps.

Ken

1. Nice of them to include the DLC bonus outfits free with the digital game, even if it is for a limited time.
3. Enabling gore makes the game run worse and it isn't even really that much gore.

?

Anyone have any luck with the Gamestop preorder costumes?

DasRaven

?

Anyone have any luck with the Gamestop preorder costumes?

You can buy the digital game until 3/26 and get the 3 new costumes free, you can also buy a bundle with NGS+ for $20 more.
Basically, all you get by buying at retail is to pay sales taxes and, in this case, the opportunity to return the game.

Ken

You can buy the digital game until 3/26 and get the 3 new costumes free, you can also buy a bundle with NGS+ for $20 more.

Are the 3 new costumes you're talking about the same ones Gamestop was offering as a pre-order bonus? If so, that's pretty lame for people who bought from GS and didn't get the codes.

DasRaven

Are the 3 new costumes you're talking about the same ones Gamestop was offering as a pre-order bonus? If so, that's pretty lame for people who bought from GS and didn't get the codes.

Yes, and it seems that the lack of codes situation is T-K's fault also according to some Gfaqs and PStrophies posters. Gamestop is saying they have not been provided codes.

Today's PS Store Update said:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus (with Bonus) ($39.99)
Get the exclusive costume pack with this game & DLC bundle! This bundle is a limited time offer until Mar 26th, 2013. Three costumes for the female warriors of Ninja Gaiden Σ2 Plus.
More speed. More beauty. More blood. Ninja Gaiden Σ2 gets updated with amazing graphics, brutal violence, and all-new gameplay challenges!
ESRB: M //File Size: 2.9 GB

Lyte Edge

OK, story mode does seem to be a lot more playable with the gore turned off, but I haven't reached any of the larger enemies or bosses yet.

Tag mode is still an unplayable mess.

Lyte Edge

As soon as I got through the initial building areas and outside to the area with the Sakura trees, which coincidentally is the same areas as the first tag level, the game went to shit again.

Tried another tag stage and it was a little better, but still had a lot of slowdown issues. The resolution is also noticeably worse in tag mode.

There definitely seems to be a major problem with multiple enemies on certain parts of the stages.

OmegaZero

Played the same mission with gore on and it did seem worse

Interesting.
Maybe Hayashi was on to something when he replaced it with purple mist. :b

That's nice. Might pick this up digitally if I like the retail version.

As soon as I got through the initial building areas and outside to the area with the Sakura trees, which coincidentally is the same areas as the first tag level, the game went to shit again.

Didn't that area cause problems in Σ2 as well?
Thanks for the impressions by the way.

Game feels slower than the first, the games graphics seem to down grade themselves during a lot of on screen action. And my DLC code doesn't work!

But other then that I cant complain. I have the first game and the second game, and razors edge on my Wii U so im set!

tygertrip

I got used to both, so as long as it's not somehow worse, I think I'll be fine. :b

Yup, Σ Plus ran at 30fps (and sometimes lower on higher difficulties).

OMG I am going blind as I near 40. I'm one of the biggest advocates of 60 fps for fast action games, proudly own a 144 hz monitor, have played a lot of Σ Plus since it came out on Playstation Plus... and have not once noticed it only runs at 30 fps. Despite the fact that I have also been playing NG3: Razors Edge or whatever on the Wii U, which I believe does run at 60 and should have made the low fps on Vita even more obvious. Shoot me now. :(

So is the single player campaign okay in this, at least on par with NGS+?

I keep hearing massive framerate drops, like a slideshow. But is that only in Tag Mode?

Skilletor

OMG I am going blind as I near 40. I'm one of the biggest advocates of 60 fps for fast action games, proudly own a 144 hz monitor, have played a lot of Σ Plus since it came out on Playstation Plus... and have not once noticed it only runs at 30 fps. Despite the fact that I have also been playing NG3: Razors Edge or whatever on the Wii U, which I believe does run at 60 and should have made the low fps on Vita even more obvious. Shoot me now. :(

RE only kind of runs at 60fps, haha. :p

tygertrip

RE only kind of runs at 60fps, haha. :p

Oh man, I just saw the other posts dogging RE's framerate also. What are you guys going to tell me next, that Skyward Sword isn't HD or something? Looks good to me...
Michael "24 fps is cinematic" King, aka Tygertrip

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here.

I just bought the game and played the first tag mission, and even with the gore on because I forgot to turn it off first. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't as bad as the video in this post:

I just did the first mission again with the gore off and yeah, it got another performance boost, though it still wasn't perfect.

I don't know if it's because i'm playing the PSN version or not (could that happen in comparison to retail?) but i'm at least getting a bit better than this video. Can anyone else with the PSN version chime in as well on this?

I will get the game tomorrow but all this info is a big let down :(

Yosuke Hayashi, Head of Team Ninja:

One of the challenges was adjusting the graphics to the hardware’s capabilities, which involved adjusting the character models, sceneries, animations, and numerous effects, to name some. Sceneries in the PS3 version were detailed in all areas, thus allocating the polygon resources to the essential and visible parts that were required without diminishing the overall graphic feel for all the maps. Also, our designers and programmers went over more than 100 of the in-game effects to make it more suitable for the hardware performance without jeopardizing any of the intended look and feel compared to the PS3 installment.

I guess they failed.....again.

It doesn't seem to be unplayable, at least based on the few youtube videos up.

It is no surprise that the game runs a bit worse than Sigma +, because while that game was essentially an Xbox game, this is a full-on, current gen port.

Some may forget, but Sigma + had slowdowns below 30fps too, yet it was very enjoyable.

Mesharey

I finished the first and second tag missions with and without gore.
With gore they were unplayable, the framerate was really, really bad.
Without gore (you get the purple mist) they were fine at best.

Story mode (first 2 chapters) is also like tag missions with/without gore but with better performance.

Dynamic resolution is annoying and it becomes really bad for few seconds sometimes.

I'm having fun but I was hoping for something near NGS+ in performance.

Any news about Japanese voices ?

OmegaZero

Story mode (first 2 chapters) is also like tag missions with/without gore but with better performance.

Dynamic resolution is annoying and it becomes really bad for few seconds sometimes.

No news about Japanese voices yet. It currently seems like they aren't in for some reason.

When you say framerate, do you mean the action goes in slow motion like Ninja Gaiden 2's infamous stairway or are you talking about the framerate itself getting choppy?

Welp. Guess I stick to vanilla ng2 and won't play it on the tram etc.
Say what you want about Itagaki, but quality got a huge drop when he left. At least for Ninja Gaiden.

Aru

Another inferior version ? Vita can probably handle this game at 60 FPS if it was ported by a competent team.
I haven't played a NG game since the original Sigma on PS3, which was my first NG game ever. I've beaten it on Ninja Dog difficulty since Normal mode was pretty much awful thanks to the broken camera. I don't mind challenging games but I found NGS just cheap in many ways.

I was kinda interested in this port since I heard NGS2 was less difficult than the first, but now I'm totally skipping it.

Is the framerate pretty good in the single player? With or without gore? Is it at least pretty consistent like NGS+?

I saw the IGN gameplay trailer and it looked really good. That's got to be bullshots, right?

Another inferior version ? Vita can probably handle this game at 60 FPS if it was ported by a competent team.
I haven't played a NG game since the original Sigma on PS3, which was my first NG game ever. I've beaten it on Ninja Dog difficulty since Normal mode was pretty much awful thanks to the broken camera. I don't mind challenging games but I found NGS just cheap in many ways.

I was kinda interested in this port since I heard NGS2 was less difficult than the first, but now I'm totally skipping it.

No way considering it doesn't even stay at 60 FPS on 360 and PS3.

OmegaZero

Yeah, I think people have unrealistic expectations of the Vita sometimes.

Makes one wonder if Razor's Edge Plus will be possible.
If they do port it, it may perform worse, and online will likely be dropped (since disabling the Wi-Fi apparently allows the Vita to overclock the GPU, which NGΣ Plus, NGΣ2+, ACIII:L and Oddworld:SW make use of).

Zampano

Hmm. Disappointing impressions. Going to keep my preorder though as I don't care about tag or online. Single player NG2 on the go is all that matters - iffy framerate or not.

5 new vids including stairs

I really wanted to avoid the FPS arguments and just enjoy the game regardless but damn, some of the scenes really are crawling.
Most don't even seem particularly graphically rich or poly heavy either.
Hope it's not enough to deter me from playing through when i get it.

Aru

Yeah, I think people have unrealistic expectations of the Vita sometimes.

Since both NGS are the only beat'em up games you can find on Vita right now, I guess it's pretty much useless arguing either way. Vita is less powerful than PS3, I know that. But it's powerful enough to run some demanding games. I'm pretty sure the Vita could handle DMC4 @60 FPS in native resolution. Maybe it's just me, but NGS2 on PS3 doesn't really look more demanding than DMC4 to me.

But unless a developer release a similar game, with better or similar graphics and a 60 FPS (even unlocked) framerate on Vita, I won't argue anymore because it's pointless.

5 new vids including stairs

I really wanted to avoid the FPS arguments and just enjoy the game regardless but damn, some of the scenes really are crawling.
Most don't even seem particularly graphically rich or poly heavy either.
Hope it's not enough to deter me from playing through when i get it.

The textures are so awful, what happened :/ I find Sigma Plus to be the most impressive game on the vita in a lot of ways but that just looks terrible. The framerate just splutters constantly too, what a disappointment.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, which I could cancel this but it's already shipped. Game looks fucking terrible. Ugly visuals, choppy framerate, and other problems. What a mess. How did this get so much worse than Sigma+? I know NG2 is a more demanding game, but come on...

It's really, really BAD. I can't decide which game is ruined worse by the horrible frame rate- this or Sonic Transformed on 3DS. :p
Sonic Transformed is sluggish on 3DS? Ran pretty well on Vita, I thought (similar to the console iterations with slowdown in many of the same places).

Dantis

Well, my copy has been posted. Anticipating the worst, haha!

If it's really bad I'll sell it. I only paid £21, can probably sell it to CEX around release for a similar price.

Lyte Edge

Sonic Transformed is sluggish on 3DS? Ran pretty well on Vita, I thought (similar to the console iterations with slowdown in many of the same places).

I have it on 360 and Vita; the framerate issues on those versions doesn't bother me at all. When I tried the 3DS demo, it was a sluggish, slowdown-filled mess that never appeared to even go as high as 30 FPS. No idea what happened there.

Top Bottom