• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2+ |OT| The Feel of Ninja Gaiden 2

Ken

Nope, friend gave e a spare code. If gamestop does get me one I'll give it away, preferably to someone that preordered and didn't get a code.

Ah, I see. I should probably call my GS and see if they got them in.

Can anyone think of a good reason why changing the camera settings to high improves the framerate? I just tried it, and yeah it's a noticeable difference. It's just such a bizarre solution.

DR2K

Banned
Can anyone think of a good reason why changing the camera settings to high improves the framerate? I just tried it, and yeah it's a noticeable difference. It's just such a bizarre solution.

Poor optimization. Slower camera cuasing more strain on the engine.

Another major plus is that load times are much better than PS3 Sigma 2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are you guys certain about this camera thing? I tested it out myself and the game still slows down in the same spots. :\

NIN90

Frames in Tag Mission 1 are still fucking awful with camera speed cranked up and with blood off.
Seriously, why not just remove the petals and shit if you have this big of a problem with them? Oh yeah that would require actually putting some work into this port.

Revan

The Tag Missions on Mentor and higher are almost unplayable, especially when there is IS spam and the flame archers/mages.

I tried to start a MN run and have up just after the Boudha fight (in the open area before you get to Marumasa's shop) - it became so slow that I couldn't handle it.

Path of the Mentor was a little bit better but overall I don't see myself getting a plat on this game (unless I'm looking for something to test my patience lol).

Pimpbaa

Does this slowdown only happen on higher difficulties, because I'm playing on normal and I'm not seeing it.

DR2K

Banned
Does this slowdown only happen on higher difficulties, because I'm playing on normal and I'm not seeing it.

Like the other games there's more slowdown and screen tearing on the higher difficulties because there's more going on.

Pimpbaa

Like the other games there's more slowdown and screen tearing on the higher difficulties because there's more going on.

Something I never experienced because I didn't play the higher difficulties on the other games either lol

OmegaZero

Another major plus is that load times are much better than PS3 Sigma 2.

Oh yeah, for sure.

Are you guys certain about this camera thing? I tested it out myself and the game still slows down in the same spots. :\

I was skeptical too until I tried some Tag Missions for comparison. It seemed much smoother, although I can't say whether it was because of the camera or because I turned off gore. I still need to do more tests before I can say for certain.

Also, a direct comparison with Sigma 2:
kNfwUwk.jpg

pixel_ps3_1.jpg.jpg

zomg dynamic lighting:

Finally, a funny glitch:
He was stuck in that pose until I actually hit him.

Dynamic lighting is cool! If only the Virtua Tennis developers could show every other developer how to do character shadows that aren't jaggy!

Dantis

Got my copy. Tag missions are a bit of a mess with gore turned on, but the main game runs fine. The fact that I'm playing NG2 on a handheld is also excellent.

Also, Ninja Race seems really neat. It's like small levels based around the campaign, and you have to keep your timer up by killing enemies. One cool thing is that you can play as any character, so you can use characters in levels they can't normally access.

Revan

The frame rate in the Turbo Missions is the best I've seen in the game so far - no slowdows whatsoever.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not really a consolation but it's kind of funny that the absolutely lowest performance in Gaiden 2+ (lowest resolution and framerate) is actually better than the best conditions in Castlevania 3DS.

The issue here is that Gaiden doesn't drop frames so, when it goes over budget, they continue rendering every frame resulting in actual slowdown rather than frame skipping.

I never played the Sigma 2 version, but I heard that the enemies were dmange sponges in that game. Is that still the case in this one? I loved the fast slice through enemies in a second combat of NG2 on 360, so just wondering how that fares on the vita. After adjusting, I didn't have issues with the framerate in Sigma + so I'm more concerned about comabt balance and the like.

Dantis

Not really a consolation but it's kind of funny that the absolutely lowest performance in Gaiden 2+ (lowest resolution and framerate) is actually better than the best conditions in Castlevania 3DS.

The issue here is that Gaiden doesn't drop frames so, when it goes over budget, they continue rendering every frame resulting in actual slowdown rather than frame skipping.

Yeah, it's really frustrating that it doesn't drop frames to be honest. Not sure why they don't.

As an aside, the visuals are a lot better than I expected. It's not the best looking game on the system, but it's absolutely not the worst either.

Ravage

I can understand why turning off gore helps, but camera speed??

Anyway the frame rate is perfectly playable so far, hope it stays that way. Ninja race and tag missions are surprisingly cool additions.

OmegaZero

I never played the Sigma 2 version, but I heard that the enemies were dmange sponges in that game. Is that still the case in this one? I loved the fast slice through enemies in a second combat of NG2 on 360, so just wondering how that fares on the vita. After adjusting, I didn't have issues with the framerate in Sigma + so I'm more concerned about comabt balance and the like.

It really depends on the difficulty. On normal, it's very easy to dismember an enemy.

I just unlocked Ryu's DOA costume.

You need to get gold on 10 Turbo missions for it.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up.

DR2K

Banned
It's in the game, I can't see anyone can do it, the AI (your partner) is bad.

Shit I can't even get past a few mentor missions, AI is terrible. Then I realized you can tag switch with the left and right D-pad. So it helps somewhat.

Mesharey

I unlocked turbo mode for tag missions, I think when you use it in Ninja race you unlock it for tag too.
Shit I can't even get past a few mentor missions, AI is terrible. Then I realized you can tag switch with the left and right D-pad. So it helps somewhat.
Yeah, I think the last missions I can finish are mentor, they should've done something better regarding AI.

Mesharey

Wow turbo mode feels much smoother than anything else. Feels closer to 60fps.
Just tried the first tag mission in turbo mode .. O_O

I played NGS2 more than 60 hours (NG2 130) but I don't remember that Momiji can use double jump. xD

The trick to beating it is to ignore enemies whenever you can and not charging those green orbs. Also pressing down in dpad when you get a purple orb will give you a speed boost.

Thats kind what I figured after failing twice, didn't know about the purple orbs though

Yes, you need to be real fast, if you use OT or UT you get 7 seconds instead of 3.5.

Unlocked new costume for Momiji when I finished her stage, hasn't been revealed yet.

My play style revolves around chain Izuna drops which is probably the worst way to do this mode

OmegaZero

Ninja Race mode is more fun then I thought.
It relies more on efficiency, but you can't just UT and Izuna drop everything.

It seems to be challenging without being cheap so far. I have yet to beat a course though.

Apocryphon

Are you guys certain about this camera thing? I tested it out myself and the game still slows down in the same spots. :

Changing the camera speed has no affect on performance. If people are seeing improvements it's only because they want to.

I haven't been able to figure out what's causing the slowdown though and funnily enough the stairs section was nowhere near as bad as it was in NG2 and actually performs really well. If the game can be patched to improve the slowdown this will easily be the best games available for Vita, and after seeing just how good the game can look I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've done with DoA.

Do we know if DoA is 60fps? Was the 3DS game 60fps?

Top Bottom