• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 to get DLC costumes, almost right away?

USD

I knew there was no fucking way they'd be packing in 3 (or 5, which ever number it is) new costumes for only 200 points. Pure fried bullshit.

duckroll

I have to say the costume design is really cool, but there's no way I'll support paying for a costume that should already be in the game if it's available day 1. This is nonsense!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I see that Game.co.uk already has the pre-order deal, but nowhere else in Europe has yet... I'm still waiting...

Tideas said:
and 360 fans continue to let themselves be gorge by the publishers.

sheese. u think they'd just include this in the game

Yes, we all bought this pre-order costume pack that isn't available for purchase yet, for a game that's not even out yet...

You continue to show how bright you are I see...

neight

Banned
aku:jiki said:
I'm sorry, but this post makes you sound like the dullest person on earth. Do you really care that much about $2.50? I'd hate to see your first dates.

"No, honey, you can't order some bread while we wait. I was going to save that $.50 for gas for the trip home! Actually, we'll be taking the bus. In fact, maybe we should even walk. I can save $3 on that, and in the future I may put that $3 down for a can of soda. Unless there's a sale on the other side of town. What's that? You want to see a movie?! Are you kidding me?! That'll be a full $10 on my part. If I wait 3 years, I can rent it at clearance prices! You will just have to wait."
A date is a completely different thing and something I would not cheap out on(it's all about impressions after all). DLC nickel and dimes you for the sort of things that were previously included in games as rewards for exploration or completing the game.

It is called nickel and diming for a reason. It doesn't end at just a nickel. It's a little here and a little there and before you know it you've spent a lot of money on it.

Ptaaty

stupid timing.....

otherwise I don't even care.

They should have one unlockable costume I guess and then they can go ahead and sell a couple for a measly half the price of a starbucks coffee.

I mean, the concept of day 1 DLC pisses me off to no end, but this is completely non-functional (not something like weapons), and is less than most loaves of bread.

Perdew

duckroll said:
I have to say the costume design is really cool, but there's no way I'll support paying for a costume that should already be in the game if it's available day 1. This is nonsense!

Yea, this game can't hold a candle to Bullet Witch
or the real king of costume DLC, Mega Man Powered Up! with its monthly Rolls

NINJA GAIDEN II news from IGN
About the DLC costumes:
IGN said:
With the recent announcement that alternate costumes would be put up for sale on the Xbox Live Marketplace, many were left wondering what that meant as far as content on the disc goes. Unfortunately, it's a look at what's to come. Itagaki told us that only a handful of extra costumes would be on the disc and that they would all simply be color variations of the first. These will be unlocked as you play through the game. Any costumes that look structurally different will have to be purchased and downloaded, though Itagaki was quick to stress that these are not on the disc and simply unlocked with a download code. Furthermore, the extra costumes were not initially going to be part of the game and have only been recently created. We got a look at these costumes during our play session and, despite the fact that they cost a pretty penny, we have to say they look mighty cool.

NO MISSON MODE IN NG2
IGN said:
Itagaki confirmed that there will be another Master Ninja Tournament, but it won't be exactly the same as it has been in the past. This one will be more focused on the community aspects. That's good news to us, but not quite enough to belay our disappointment that there won't be a Mission Mode in Ninja Gaiden 2. When we asked Itagaki about it, he told us he wasn't a fan of it in Ninja Gaiden Black and that it would take on a slightly different form if he was to do it again.
...but...
IGN said:
And though Itagaki isn't a fan of the mission mode, we did get a look at one a side challenge called a Test of Valor. The MS rep on hand told us that these arena battles are accessible after beating the game and can be found hidden on some levels. That's reason enough for us to keep playing. The one we tried continuously spawned enemies as we took out wave after wave until we succumbed to the onslaught.

duckroll

Perdew said:
Yea, this game can't hold a candle to Bullet Witch
or the real king of costume DLC, Mega Man Powered Up! with its monthly Rolls

Yeah and all that was free too. Shame on Team Ninja, for a well selling game they sure don't feel like rewarding us fans. :(

duckroll

Opus Angelorum said:
I would suggest that this was not entirely the work of Team Ninja.

Probably, but Itagaki has the balls to kick ass in front of the camera but not to kick ass in discussions with MS? He should should he mad ninja skills to get us the best deal! :D

Sad to hear about the mission modes being left out, it's what kept me coming back to NGB.

Hopefully the arena battles are similar enough.

I get the sense that Itagaki may soon cut off his ties with Team Ninja and Tecmo. His comments about wanting to "work with a western developer" combined with him saying NGII is his last NG, well, it's odd. Then again, he did mention DOA5.

a Master Ninja said:
I get the sense that Itagaki may soon cut off his ties with Team Ninja and Tecmo. His comments about wanting to "work with a western developer" combined with him saying NGII is his last NG, well, it's odd. Then again, he did mention DOA5.

Isn't there also the Dead or Alive: Code Chronos game he's been talking about since way back when.

duckroll

a Master Ninja said:

What western developer makes the kind of games Itagaki produces though? Unless he joins Rare and makes KI3. :lol

Just wanted to reply to say I was at the event, and while the 3 costumes per pack thing is still a rip, the costumes are different models, not just retextured copies.

_Angelus_

Banned
Everybody just shut up,run out and buy another $60.00 PS3 rumble controller instead.
Better yet-let's import them for even more money. Sound good?

How can some of you post so much disgust in this topic when your part of the very problem that this industry milks gamers with?

Very selective views in this forum to be sure.
:lol

Skilletor

Angelus said:
Everybody just shut up,run out and buy another $60.00 PS3 rumble controller instead.

How can some of you post so much disgust in this topic when your part of the very problem that this industry milks gamers with?

Very selective views in this forum to be sure.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
duckroll said:
What western developer makes the kind of games Itagaki produces though? Unless he joins Rare and makes KI3. :lol
I would be down for that. Actually I want it to happen.

duckroll

godhandiscen said:
I would be down for that. Actually I want it to happen.

Considering the Spartan cameo in DoA4, Itagaki doesn't even have to leave Team Ninja to do that. All they would need is a collaboration with Rare.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
The Take Out Bandit said:
You can't spell Team Ninja without EA!

Charge for Everything.

Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox DLC was all free & arguably one of the most content filled updates ever made for a game.

Yeah, the Hurricane packs added dozens of hours of gameplay and beyond. So much that they were practically forced to release Ninja Gaiden Black, otherwise that content would be wasted on the very small number of Xbox Live subscribers.

I guess with Microsoft publishing this time, we should've expected this, and I can see their justification now:

To access the Hurricane Packs on the original Xbox you needed to have an Xbox Live subscription, so they technically weren't free, they were a bonus for paying customers. These new costumes and other future DLC will be available to Silver Xbox Live users, so they need to recoup the costs some other way.

Does that sound PR-enough? I'm not too happy with the last line, mentioning costs isn't right, something like providing developers with funding or the like...

Angelus said:
There's a difference between "not available due to legal action" and "could be available, but we decided to hold it back and charge for it". Previous games in this series--both the original and Sigma--included extra costumes for free on the disc. The DLC was reserved for more missions, more enemies, and combat and camera tweaks. This change is what's causing most of the complaints, I think (along with the fact that the DLC has been announced before the game even comes out).

In other areas, I'm sorry to hear about Mission Mode being gone. There were arena fights in the previous games too, so unless they've been altered a lot they're not a replacement for it. Mission mode provided very specific challenges that weren't possible in the main game (e.g. limited weapons or items, strange groups of enemies) and extended the play much more than simply waves of a couple types of bad guys, which is merely longer versions of the same challenge normal play gives. Perhaps Itagaki will have mixed it up, though.

a Master Ninja said:
His recent comments are a lot more calm than we're used to, it's like he's reflecting on everything he's done up until now. I agree with you, he's definately going to change something soon.

Assaulted Nuts said:
Rumors from gamers day say the 20th

Oh god, that's too long I'm going to snap I've watched the launch trailer 73 times and I even watched both Ask a Ninja episodes twice, even though they're sub par for the series

Assaulted Nuts said:
Stoke that game boner. :lol

Stoke it hard.

A LONE WARRIOR MUST RESTORE HONOR TO HIS CLAN
(Ahh! Real Monsters scream)
HE SEEKS JUSTICE FOR THE FALLEN
AND TO HIS ENEMIES
HE BRINGS ONLY VENGEANCE
AND DEATH

NINJA GAIDEN 2
EXCLUSIVELY ON XBOX 360

VENGEANCE IS COMING
JUNE 2008

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God's Beard said:
AND TO HIS ENEMIES
HE BRINGS ONLY VENGEANCE
AND DEATH

NINJA GAIDEN 2
EXCLUSIVELY ON XBOX 360

VENGEANCE IS COMING
JUNE 2008

McDragon said:
http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Action/HacknSlash/~r326921/Ninja-Gaiden-2/

20s66xl.jpg

disappointing total.

so $2.50 for one new costume (which would have been free on Xbox) and 2 other colors?

this is just a fantastic value

The Take Out Bandit said:
You can't spell Team Ninja without EA!

Charge for Everything.
It's the fault of the publisher, not the developer.

The Tecmo-published Ninja Gaiden on Xbox had awesome free DLC.
MS are the ones that forced charged DLC for Gears and Halo despite Epic and Bungie's protests.

CrushDance said:
Yeah I double checked to make sure that it wasn't just for 1 costume. I don't see a problem with the price, my only "problem" is releasing them so soon after the game hits, feels like they held some weapons/accessories back on purpose.

That's my problem with all DLC, it wouldn't be so bad if you felt like you were actually buying a complete game. Having DLC come after say 4-6 months makes the end consumer(Well me anyway) feel like it really is an expansion and not that they were cheated.

The way game development works these days, there is a certain date when they have to decide, thats it for all the content that will go into the disk so it can go into full fledged testing. So, when you look at a game such as NG2, the content of the game would have been finalized 3+ months ago. After that they don't add anything to it.

Edit: Not that I agree with such DLCs.

MCD

_dementia said:
It's the fault of the publisher, not the developer.

The Tecmo-published Ninja Gaiden on Xbox had awesome free DLC.
MS are the ones that forced charged DLC for Gears and Halo despite Epic and Bungie's protests.
you sure?

IGN: What inspired you to offer this type of download for free for Ninja Gaiden fans?

Itagaki: We are creating the Hurricane Pack for ourselves rather than for our fans. Our goal is to become No. 1 in the Action Game category as well as the Fighting Game Genre. The Hurricane Pack is an experiment based on that goal.

If we were doing it purely for our fans, this package might have been charged.
So, players who are going to play Hurricane Pack should understand the contents have become free because your interests and ours have met by chance. You should not complain that other game's downloadable contents available are being charged.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/531/531106p2.html

acm2000

duckroll said:

well, rare do keep laying KI3 clues.... and Itagaki DID say this was his last NG game.... duckroll uncovers MS's big E3 announcement confirmed!

RBH

God's Beard said:
AND TO HIS ENEMIES
HE BRINGS ONLY VENGEANCE
AND DEATH

NINJA GAIDEN 2
EXCLUSIVELY ON XBOX 360

VENGEANCE IS COMING
JUNE 2008