• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

P90

Normal and easy difficulty are much easier than the previous games, so you shouldn't have problems. TTT2 is probably a better game overall, and it's a fantastic fighting game, but I'd recommend it only if you are interested in on/offline multiplayer. There's almost no single player content, aside from the Fight Lab tutorial and the usual arcade/survival/ghost battle mode.

Thanks. It sounds like NG3:RE might be a better fit for me.

Olaeh

Everything sounds good so far. I decided to wait on the Wii U launch but I was truly going to pick this up along with NSMBU, and perhaps Sonic Racing Transformed or Tekken.

Really, the free DLC has grabbed my attention with this one. It's also nice to hear the difficulty has been ramped up. Maybe there can be a larger draw to this if it turns out to be a SUPER hard/difficult game.

Het_Nkik

I've tried to buy this at both Walmart and Toys R Us to no avail. So then I spent my money on other things. I'll try again next month.

VerTiGo

Banned
Okay, I love this game. It seems like way too many reviewers had a horrible taste from the initial release sour their experience with the Wii U version.

First of all, it's hard as fuck. Second, the technical issues are so minor. People on this very forum all blowing it out of proportion. The only thing that is kind of irritating is that I feel as if some button commands don't work at random but it can of course just be me. I can understand the framerate issues and the "technical" issues people are complaining about but, afterall, it's a launch title from a studio that isn't Nintendo itself, what the fuck did you honestly expect?

It controls fine on the gamepad, in some ways even better than on the pro controller just because the wideness of the controller is comfortable (I actually think that the pro controller should've have been a bit larger - and I love the analog stick setup - suck it haters). However, there's a significant drop in the visual clarity while playing the on the gamepad's screen and I wouldn't suggest playing it that way. I remember seeing a review, I believe it was IGN's, saying that it looked better on the gamepad -- and that's honestly an absolute lie.

My only real complaint, which is of course and actual game design related issue, because you know... I'm a gamer and not a retard complaining about graphics... is that you can't have multiple game saves. What I mean is, you cannot start a new game without overwriting a previous save. I lost a lot of progress accidentally starting a new game because I missed the first crystal skull. Kinda upsetting but my second run through the first stage was much better seeing that I didn't even die, whereas my first run I died dozens upon dozens of times.

Excellent game. Don't believe there lies.

CrisKre

can anyone comment on how this plays on the gamepad? Don't want to have to buy another 50 controller for this...

It works great for me. You can activate the nipo, ninja sense and switch weapons with the touchscreen, but you have the options to do everything with controls too. The pad is really comfortable con use too.

VerTiGo

Banned
Also people, Miiverse is great and partly because a game like this is so diificult that it's just great to just post any questions you have about it. Aside from the forthcoming Nintendo TVii, Miiverse is my favorite innovation you get on the Wii U. Good job Nintendo. I'm impressed.

Skilletor

Okay, I love this game. It seems like way too many reviewers had a horrible taste from the initial release sour their experience with the Wii U version.

First of all, it's hard as fuck. Second, the technical issues are so minor. People on this very forum all blowing it out of proportion. The only thing that is kind of irritating is that I feel as if some button commands don't work at random but it can of course just be me. I can understand the framerate issues and the "technical" issues people are complaining about but, afterall, it's a launch title from a studio that isn't Nintendo itself, what the fuck did you honestly expect?

It controls fine on the gamepad, in some ways even better than on the pro controller just because the wideness of the controller is comfortable (I actually think that the pro controller should've have been a bit larger - and I love the analog stick setup - suck it haters). However, there's a significant drop in the visual clarity while playing the on the gamepad's screen and I wouldn't suggest playing it that way. I remember seeing a review, I believe it was IGN's, saying that it looked better on the gamepad -- and that's honestly an absolute lie.

My only real complaint, which is of course and actual game design related issue, because you know... I'm a gamer and not a retard complaining about graphics... is that you can't have multiple game saves. What I mean is, you cannot start a new game without overwriting a previous save. I lost a lot of progress accidentally starting a new game because I missed the first crystal skull. Kinda upsetting but my second run through the first stage was much better seeing that I didn't even die, whereas my first run I died dozens upon dozens of times.

Excellent game. Don't believe there lies.

Did you play the original? If so, could you be less vague about any reason a person should like this version more than the original? Can you do so without insulting people who think a steady framerate in an action game is pretty important?

Have you played previous NG games?

Robot Pants

Certainly doesn't sound like it. It also sounds like he's playing on hero.
Honestly if this has any frame rate issues whatsoever at the lower difficulties, it's gonna be an absolute mess on master ninja and above. Just like the original.

Played NG on Xbox, skipped out on NG2 and NG3.

Fun so far, but only beat the first chapter. Story seems incomprehensible, but so did the first one. Don't know about differences between Wii U version and others since I didn't play 'em.

I'll come back later when I make some more progress.

guek

Banned
I'm at the point where I want this game but I need someone to convince me to take the final plunge :-(

I already have 5 games!! AAAGH Launch Madness!!

danmaku

Everything sounds good so far. I decided to wait on the Wii U launch but I was truly going to pick this up along with NSMBU, and perhaps Sonic Racing Transformed or Tekken.

Really, the free DLC has grabbed my attention with this one. It's also nice to hear the difficulty has been ramped up. Maybe there can be a larger draw to this if it turns out to be a SUPER hard/difficult game.

The game was already super hard on Master Ninja / Ultimate Ninja, the complaints were mainly about the clunky, buggy and unbalanced combat system.

Dantis

I'm at the point where I want this game but I need someone to convince me to take the final plunge :-(

I already have 5 games!! AAAGH Launch Madness!!

Oh wow, haha.

I'm the complete opposite. When I get a new platform, I usually don't buy anything for like the first year.

So I played a ton more last night. It is so much better then NG3. The combat is still the same, slide into enemies and break their guard still works well, but now they have given a lot more options. They brought back intercept, it has a different name now though. It was awesome using that to wreck fools. I think they made the AI more aggressive but you have more tools for taking stuff down now. You also can find scarabs hidden in the levels now, so it gives you a reason to look around and check out the levels. I got the lunar staff and it feels just as good as it ever did. Ayane is a blast to play as, I really hope there are a lot of areas to use her. This game really feels like they took NG3 and tried to bolt NG1 on top of it. It definitely does fix everything but it is a huge improvement over NG3 and really gives me hope for the franchise going forward.

People that finish the game, can you share the state of Ayane? Can you play with her through the whole campaign? Does she have her own cutscenes?

Zoc

Does the game still have the part at the beginning where you're forced to murder the guy begging for his life, talking about his kids, etc? I thought that was so stupid in the PS360 version that I turned off the demo at that point and deleted it.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Does the game still have the part at the beginning where you're forced to murder the guy begging for his life, talking about his kids, etc? I thought that was so stupid in the PS360 version that I turned off the demo at that point and deleted it.

Nope, they removed that part.

Did you play the original? If so, could you be less vague about any reason a person should like this version more than the original? Can you do so without insulting people who think a steady framerate in an action game is pretty important?

I wasn't going to call it out but that post reads as praise for the WiiU itself rather than the game. It's hard to get past the nintendo-gushing to find anything useful as a NG fan.

So I played a ton more last night. It is so much better then NG3. The combat is still the same, slide into enemies and break their guard still works well, but now they have given a lot more options. They brought back intercept, it has a different name now though. It was awesome using that to wreck fools. I think they made the AI more aggressive but you have more tools for taking stuff down now. You also can find scarabs hidden in the levels now, so it gives you a reason to look around and check out the levels. I got the lunar staff and it feels just as good as it ever did. Ayane is a blast to play as, I really hope there are a lot of areas to use her. This game really feels like they took NG3 and tried to bolt NG1 on top of it. It definitely does fix everything but it is a huge improvement over NG3 and really gives me hope for the franchise going forward.

Have they? how does it work? is it just as broken?

And I agree. While NG3:RE may not be my cup of tea, when the dust settles, I think the whole experience for temco and Hayashi means they will be alot more careful with messing with what works in future. With NGZ on the horizion which can be the defacto NG for casuals with all the silly ideas like SOB funnelled into it, Hopefully NG4 will be kept on the same beaten hardcore track as NG1+2

all they need is NG2's combat, with NGB level design and A.I. Thats it.

If you must have a story, keep it as unintrusive as possible.

The new intercept works just like it did in NG1. Hold block and then hit either x,y in time with an enemy attack and you will teleport behind them and hammer them. It can be a bit difficult to get them timing right since there are usually several enemies rushing you at 1 time. It really is a nice addition though.

The new intercept works just like it did in NG1. Hold block and then hit either x,y in time with an enemy attack and you will teleport behind them and hammer them. It can be a bit difficult to get them timing right since there are usually several enemies rushing you at 1 time. It really is a nice addition though.

so does that replace the parry/counter hit then? or can you do both?

Desperate Wii U fans.

LOL you have no idea what you are talking about. This version is millions of times better the 360/PS3 version. They have added so much to the game, like new costumes, new characters, a karma scoring system, new chapters to the campaign, new challenges, new moves, they tweaked the AI, they made the kunai climb much faster which is nice, they are going to add even more characters through free dlc. The only way that this version is wore is some people are saying the frame rate drops, I havent seen that at all yet though, and that is such a small thing compared to all the positive changes they have made. What ever you think of NG3 as a game there is no doubt at all that this is easily the best version, and it isnt even close.

Skilletor

LOL you have no idea what you are talking about. This version is millions of times better the 360/PS3 version. They have added so much to the game, like new costumes, new characters, a karma scoring system, new chapters to the campaign, new challenges, new moves, they tweaked the AI, they made the kunai climb much faster which is nice, they are going to add even more characters through free dlc. The only way that this version is wore is some people are saying the frame rate drops, I havent seen that at all yet though, and that is such a small thing compared to all the positive changes they have made. What ever you think of NG3 as a game there is no doubt at all that this is easily the best version, and it isnt even close.

Almost none of this says anything about the gameplay, lol. I couldn't care less about additional characters if the core combat is still ass. Costumes? Again, if I don't want to finish the game to unlock them...don't care. New moves? Doesn't matter if the combat is ass. You said above the combat is the same...that's hardly something I want.

People are so vague with the praise. Does it still feel like Ryu has massive recovery on everything? Are enemy throws still super powerful? You say intercept is back, but what you describe sounds more like a counter. Intercept was a parry similar to SF3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pdN3I1lMn0

Has the game's level design changed at all or is it still more similar to an arena fighter with wave after wave of enemies than past NG games.

How is the tracking? In NG3 and NGS+ on Vita, you would often attack downed enemies instead of living ones. Is this still the case? Is limb dismemberment similar to NG2, or is it just a way to add gore to the the downed enemies of NG3?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I would just like some solid details what precisely has changed in the combat. :/

Almost none of this says anything about the gameplay, lol. I couldn't care less about additional characters if the core combat is still ass. Costumes? Again, if I don't want to finish the game to unlock them...don't care. New moves? Doesn't matter if the combat is ass. You said above the combat is the same...that's hardly something I want.

People are so vague with the praise. Does it still feel like Ryu has massive recovery on everything? Are enemy throws still super powerful? You say intercept is back, but what you describe sounds more like a counter. Intercept was a parry similar to SF3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pdN3I1lMn0

Has the game's level design changed at all or is it still more similar to an arena fighter with wave after wave of enemies than past NG games.

How is the tracking? In NG3 and NGS+ on Vita, you would often attack downed enemies instead of living ones. Is this still the case? Is limb dismemberment similar to NG2, or is it just a way to add gore to the the downed enemies of NG3?

I have already said that the gameplay is basically the same. It is still waves of enemies in an area and after you kill them all you get your health back and then move on. They made tiny tweaks to the AI it seams but they cant change the core game. It is still NG3, but they did add stuff to make it better. I was just replying to the insane accusation that people saying this version was better are desperate wii-u fans. The level design is exactly the same, they just added new areas and they opened up some areas so that you can look for scarabs. I have not had one problem with tracking, so it seems that has been fixed but I cant say for 100% since I havent finished the game yet. Dismemberment works great, especially with the SoB mechanic. You can ut a guys arm off and then move to the next guy, and you can set up big SoB chains. It is definitely not just a visual thing, it adds to the battles, and you get a karma bonus for doing it o there is a reward for using it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Kunai climb still in = worst gameplay gimmick of the year.

IMMERSIVE TRIGGER PULLING: IT IS LIKE YOU'RE REALLY USING YOUR ARMS TO CLIMB.

Skilletor

I have already said that the gameplay is basically the same. It is still waves of enemies in an area and after you kill them all you get your health back and then move on. They made tiny tweaks to the AI it seams but they cant change the core game. It is still NG3, but they did add stuff to make it better. I was just replying to the insane accusation that people saying this version was better are desperate wii-u fans. The level design is exactly the same, they just added new areas and they opened up some areas so that you can look for scarabs. I have not had one problem with tracking, so it seems that has been fixed but I cant say for 100% since I havent finished the game yet. Dismemberment works great, especially with the SoB mechanic. You can ut a guys arm off and then move to the next guy, and you can set up big SoB chains. It is definitely not just a visual thing, it adds to the battles, and you get a karma bonus for doing it o there is a reward for using it.

So yeah, I'll check it out when it's 20 bucks.

OmegaZero

Holy shit, if this is true then I need this in my veins.

plus he has weapons now instead of JUST the sword

So yeah, I'll check it out when it's 20 bucks.

This is probably the best choice for most people. I am happy I got it now but I didnt completely hate NG3, so the changes are enough to bump the game up to something I was willing to buy new. The people that hated NG3 are probably still going to hate this game since it is a lot os small changes to the core game rather then an all new core game. I am sure the price will drop quick so hopefully people waiting for a drop wont have to wait to long.

Played through the first stage yesterday on Hero, game seemed WAY easier than what I remembered of NGB/2 (never touched NG3 or the Sigmas). Pretty mash-tastic tbh, which Black always severely punished me for trying even on Ninja Dog (2 less so, though still more than 3RE). Setup definitely feels more like a brawler in terms of level design and enemy encounters, though there is still some exploration for Golden Scarabs. I had zero issues with targeting (didn't even know this was an issue in NG3 until reading the thread), and no perceptible framerate drops at all (even during Ninpo, which I rarely used) though I updated with the patch and I'm playing on the Game Pad off-tv so maybe one of those makes a difference versus the negative early reviews.

All in all, it looks great and seems like it'll be pretty mindless fun. Probably not what NG diehards were hoping for, but from the sounds of it this is probably the best version of the game and seems like a good entry point for more casual fans.

Just fired up day 5 of NG3 (the only good level in the game)

If the intercept move is a teleport to helm breaker downward slash, it was already in the game, just never used by anyone.

ultim8p00

Banned
Holy shit, if this is true then I need this in my veins.

It's not. It seems he doesn't actually know what intercept is. I think he is talking about the Cicada surge, the new move that basically works like a counterattack, but it teleports you behind the enemy instead.

EDIT: After reading through his posts, they come off to me as "overly enthusiastic"

guek

Banned
lol, you guys are funny. I think yankeehater just isn't a long time hardcore NG fan, so it seems it's tough for him to make the types of comments you guys are looking for.

As someone who only played NG1 back in the day (and even then not to completion), all I want to know is whether or not the game is fun. Seems to me that NG3 was so broken, the vast majority of people found it outright terrible.

It's not. It seems he doesn't actually know what intercept is. I think he is talking about the Cicada surge, the new move that basically works like a counterattack, but it teleports you behind the enemy instead.

EDIT: After reading through his posts, they come off to me as "overly enthusiastic"

What? In NG1 you could hit block right as an enemy attacked and the screen would flash blue and it would allow you a free attack. Not there is a move that work basically the same way. You hit block plus attack in time with the enemies attack, and it does a blue teleport that takes you behind the enemy and allows you to get a free hit on them. Out side of being slightly more difficult to pull of I am not sure what the difference is. Mechanically it seems to do the same thing. I have no idea how to reply to the 2nd part about being overly enthusiastic since I have no idea what the proper amount of enthusiasm for a video game, but I am enjoying this version a lot more then I did the original release. I havent even put in zombieU yet since I have been playing this so much.

Dantis

What? In NG1 you could hit block right as an enemy attacked and the screen would flash blue and it would allow you a free attack. Not there is a move that work basically the same way. You hit block plus attack in time with the enemies attack, and it does a blue teleport that takes you behind the enemy and allows you to get a free hit on them. Out side of being slightly more difficult to pull of I am not sure what the difference is. Mechanically it seems to do the same thing. I have no idea how to reply to the 2nd part about being overly enthusiastic since I have no idea what the proper amount of enthusiasm for a video game, but I am enjoying this version a lot more then I did the original release. I havent even put in zombieU yet since I have been playing this so much.

Well that depends how it how it works. As I recall, intercept basically nulled the opponent's hit, right? Whereas this sounds like a counter, where you interrupt your string to pull off a preset move.

I really want to play this version. I'm one of the few people in the world that actually enjoyed NG3 even if it was sort of simplistic and bare bones compared to NG1 and NG2. An enhanced version would probably make me really happy. NG3 is actually a pretty deep game once you properly learn the gameplay mechanics. Despite the unfairness of Master Ninja, it did force me to truly master the Dragon Sword and always be on my toes. I did hate the fact that the damage inflicted on Ryu was insane and the enemies loved to grapple you a lot. It would be nice if they rectified those issues in the updated version. Then again, NG2 Master Ninja also had serious issues imo.

as ive said above the move you are talking about is already in the base game

weak (square, x) You teleport underneath their legs
strong (triangle, Y) you appear above them with a downward slash

clone ryu uses the two alot in your fight.

Its a counter, not a parry that nullified the opponents move like intercept, which was broken as fuck cus it meant you continuously could attack no matter what the opponent did.

Its a shame though, because it would actually could be balanced by making it only work on grabs in this game. That would take alot of the frustration out of encounters too and make them more skill based, rather than based on luck. Just make it Block, Forward and both attack buttons or something.

Oh, is that what it is? Isn't that redundant with the triangle counter attack?

as ive said above the move you are talking about is already in the base game

weak (square, x) You teleport underneath their legs
strong (triangle, Y) you appear above them with a downward slash

clone ryu uses the two alot in your fight.

Yeah I hadnt seen it in the core game but I didnt get to into it. It feels like there was maybe more depth to NG3 then people realized, just team ninja did such a terrible job showing that stuff to people. I like how in this game it really spells out the different moves when you unlock them. So I have been going through and doing the challenges and they are really well done. It is 3 waves of increasingly difficult enemies and then a fight against a boss. The bosses basically fight like they did in the old games. It was interesting fighting a boss from NG2 in the slower NG3 style. I really hope this game does well and they do DLC like this in the future. Since you get your health back after each battle this game would be perfect for a boss rush mode.

Edit: The move I was talking about is not called Cicada surge, I believe it is called Subaki or something close to that. I will look it up when I get home today.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So what's the verdict?
Joystick just posted a glowing review.
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is a standout effort as Wii U launch titles go, but it's also a welcome improvement to a game that sorely needed a kick. Team Ninja heard the complaints about Ninja Gaiden 3 and came back with an exceptional revision in Razor's Edge, one that lives up to the high standards set by other games in the series, reinvigorating its combat with fresh variety and a real challenge.

Top Bottom