• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

I didn't notice the framerate mostly on my first playthrough on the Gamepad (on Hero), but now that I'm replaying on my TV (on Normal), it can get pretty bad. It's very much in line from what I remember of NG2 on 360.

I guess the boring train ride / shooting sequence in day 2 is still intact then.
Yep. So is the jeep chase one in the final day.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't even remember this, haha.

Remind me?

You have to stand on the open flat car of an elevated train that cruises through the desert city. Mostly, guys on jetpacks and such hover around and take pot shots at you while you shoot them down.

One of those classic videogame filler sequences - let's put 'em on a rail shooter for a while.

Skilletor

Yeah, the end of day 2 was just awful. The worst performance I've seen so far from one of these launch games. I'm not having as bad a time overall as you seem to be but maybe I'm not as sensitive to framedrops as I thought.

It was so bad, lol.

Good news is that I'm enjoying the game. Combat isn't as good as ng2, but it's a huge step up from vanilla ng.

Just got to Ayane's first chapter. :-D

I shudder to think how this game will run on hard.

I just played the T-Rex fight and started day 4. Wow... I don't even know what to say about the dino fight. A boss fight were you're basically required to not engage the boss directly throughout the fight doesn't belong in any game much less a battle/action game like this one. It was so devoid of any fun that I can actually see a lot of people quiting and not picking up the game again when they get to it, and it doesn't even have anything to do with the difficulty. After a few tries I just dropped the game down to Hero and powered my way though it as I had zero desire to slog through it with the chip-chip damage you do on the higher difficulties.

Nintendo would have been far better served by having Team Ninja cut that battle out of the game entirely and replacing it with another alchemist battle or something. None of the boss battles have been great so far but that one was bad enough to ruin the reputation of the series, or at least whatever reputation Hayashi has left.
It was so bad, lol.

Good news is that I'm enjoying the game. Combat isn't as good as ng2, but it's a huge step up from vanilla ng.

The beginning of day 4 has more performance randomness. It features a return to the blimp top battle from NG/NGB with weather effects and all kinds of crazy stuff going on and still has a better framerate than some of the ordinary daytime environments from the earlier chapters.

Hopefully the game gets a performance patch sometime in the future but if the game tanks Nintendo may not even bother.

d0c_zaius

It was so bad, lol.

stop making me want to give this game a chance haha

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I just played the T-Rex fight and started day 4. Wow... I don't even know what to say about the dino fight. A boss fight were you're basically required to not engage the boss directly throughout the fight doesn't belong in any game much less a battle/action game like this one. It was so devoid of any fun that I can actually see a lot of people quiting and not picking up the game again when they get to it, and it doesn't even have anything to do with the difficulty..

Hahaha it's still in

Any general tips for the tests of valor? I'm getting raped so hard. :(
Are you getting beaten prior to making it to the final boss? If you're having trouble during the normal enemies manage your Ninpo so you only use it to recover health as opposed to using it offensively.

Make sure that you have unlocked the Wind Path and Falcon's Eye abilities so you can get in the air off enemies as use the opportunity to pick off the annoying off screen projectile shooters whenever they pop up. Once you get to the end boss just pray that you have enough health to make it through the battle, the Ninpo health regen trick doesn't seem to work as well against a single foe and there aren't many openings to use meditation.

Hope that at least helps a little.
I'm really, REALLY tired of fighting helicopters.
You would think that by middle of the game the terrorists would get shielding for the helicopters to protect them from explosive arrows but nope.

Any general tips for the tests of valor? I'm getting raped so hard. :(

For the regular enemies get some distance and charge up a UT. The ES's UT just destroys fools. For the bosses you can just look up strategies from what ever game they were in, they fight the same for the most part.

onilink88

Are you getting beaten prior to making it to the final boss? If you're having trouble during the normal enemies manage your Ninpo so you only use it to recover health as opposed to using it offensively.

Make sure that you have unlocked the Wind Path and Falcon's Eye abilities so you can get in the air off enemies as use the opportunity to pick off the annoying off screen projectile shooters whenever they pop up. Once you get to the end boss just pray that you have enough health to make it through the battle, the Ninpo health regen trick doesn't seem to work as well against a single foe and there aren't many openings to use meditation.

Hope that at least helps a little.

For the regular enemies get some distance and charge up a UT. The ES's UT just destroys fools. For the bosses you can just look up strategies from what ever game they were in, they fight the same for the most part.

Thanks, guys. :)

a few stages into this, and......(guess which might be a spoiler)
ummmm Cliff has the exact same voice as the masked guy, are the characters retarded? Please tell me I'm wrong...:(

Kai Dracon

Gave in and bought this. Why? I like combat. Ninja woosh woosh hackey slappy.

I have to admit, it's actually really fucking fun now. Ayane is a blast, damn.

But yeah, ignoring how it compares directly to NG2, this seems about the best that you're going to squeeze out of NG3. The redesigned enemy groups / placement also seems a lot more interesting in the campaign, though I'm doing a normal run first.

I like the scoring/karma system and that it's used for your currency. That is a good move, besides just bringing upgrades back period.

As for the performance, hmm... yep, it slows down frequently, but to be honest, it looks like it mostly happens where screen tearing was insane in the 360 version. Like they've traded v-synch for chopiness in some places. When it's not slowing down, it seems to run and look better (thanks to no constant tearing) than the 360.

I guess it just doesn't seem too bad to me, as I played through NG2 multiple times and got used to its own amazing slowdown and such that happened often.

Seems to be a lot of content here too; the improved combat system makes the ninja trials more interesting, I'm starting to work on those next. Upgrading your Edit Ninja is still a lot of fun too.

Can you eventually use Ryu and Ayane in the ninja trials? One of the equipment options before a session is "character", but I can't change it from Unknown Ninja.

Skilletor

I dunno, man. I'd say this is Bayonetta 2 ps3 levels of bad. There isn't a battle in this game without tons of slowdown, and at its worse it feels like I'm fighting in Jello. It seriously feels like it drops from 60 to 30. Nothing in previous NG games compares to this game except maybe the infamous staircase. The performance in this reminds me of MGS2 on Vita, 60fps in closed spaces, 30fps outdoors or with lots of stuff going on. Except in NG, there's always a lot of stuff going on.

Normally I'd take framedips over screen tear any day of the week, but I haven't experienced anything this drastic before. By far the worst performing action game I've ever played.

I agree with everything else, it's definitely a better game overall...but fuck this performance, lol. And this is on normal. I can't even imagine playing on hard with more projectiles and enemies on screen.

Revan

For the Wii U version: how does it control with the Game Pad?

Played it myself with the game pad and it's alright if that is all you have. I just got a Pro Controller and will be testing it out tonight to see the difference.

Kai Dracon

I dunno, man. I'd say this is Bayonetta 2 ps3 levels of bad. There isn't a battle in this game without tons of slowdown, and at its worse it feels like I'm fighting in Jello. It seriously feels like it drops from 60 to 30. Nothing in previous NG games compares to this game except maybe the infamous staircase. The performance in this reminds me of MGS2 on Vita, 60fps in closed spaces, 30fps outdoors or with lots of stuff going on. Except in NG, there's always a lot of stuff going on.

Normally I'd take framedips over screen tear any day of the week, but I haven't experienced anything this drastic before. By far the worst performing action game I've ever played.

I agree with everything else, it's definitely a better game overall...but fuck this performance, lol. And this is on normal. I can't even imagine playing on hard with more projectiles and enemies on screen.

Well, that's kinda what I mean; I suspect the performance is due to v-synch being forced at all times. I was kinda sensitive to the tearing in vanilla NG3 and holy crap, it really did break up almost all the time. In the desert level, if I stood in an empty area after a battle and spun the camera, the screen tore in half.

So I'm thinking the engine for this thing is really half baked, independent of hardware.

You are correct about this sucker being Bayonetta PS3 levels.

Ah well.

Gave in and bought this. Why? I like combat. Ninja woosh woosh hackey slappy.

I have to admit, it's actually really fucking fun now. Ayane is a blast, damn.

But yeah, ignoring how it compares directly to NG2, this seems about the best that you're going to squeeze out of NG3. The redesigned enemy groups / placement also seems a lot more interesting in the campaign, though I'm doing a normal run first.

I like the scoring/karma system and that it's used for your currency. That is a good move, besides just bringing upgrades back period.

As for the performance, hmm... yep, it slows down frequently, but to be honest, it looks like it mostly happens where screen tearing was insane in the 360 version. Like they've traded v-synch for chopiness in some places. When it's not slowing down, it seems to run and look better (thanks to no constant tearing) than the 360.

I guess it just doesn't seem too bad to me, as I played through NG2 multiple times and got used to its own amazing slowdown and such that happened often.

Seems to be a lot of content here too; the improved combat system makes the ninja trials more interesting, I'm starting to work on those next. Upgrading your Edit Ninja is still a lot of fun too.

Can you eventually use Ryu and Ayane in the ninja trials? One of the equipment options before a session is "character", but I can't change it from Unknown Ninja.

Once you beat the game you unlock both of them. The karma you earn with them doesnt carry over to your unknown guy though. Also your unknown ninja can level weapons up to five, whereas it looks like Ryu and Ayane are capped at level 3 weapons.

Skilletor

Well, that's kinda what I mean; I suspect the performance is due to v-synch being forced at all times. I was kinda sensitive to the tearing in vanilla NG3 and holy crap, it really did break up almost all the time. In the desert level, if I stood in an empty area after a battle and spun the camera, the screen tore in half.

So I'm thinking the engine for this thing is really half baked, independent of hardware.

You are correct about this sucker being Bayonetta PS3 levels.

Ah well.

I'm not tech saavy or anything, but I saw it mentioned that none of the WiiU games have screen tearing. I wonder if there's a reason for that. I think I read it might be due to the gamepad.

Haha, the T-Rex battle is going to follow Hayashi to his grave, as it should. So awful.

I'm not finding the framerate dips to be as distracting as everyone else is finding them but for full disclosure I played through NGB on 360 prior to the patch that fixed its performance problems. That game dropped literally to single digits during hectic battles so that may have forever broken my sensitivity to shitty NG framerates.

I still found the Bayo PS3 and Castlevania LoS PS3 framerates to be much worse than this but a performance patch would be really welcome if someone's working on one. Even with the performance issues and the horrible T-Rex chapter I'm still enjoying the game a lot but it feels like it could have been so much better with more dev time. Maybe the rumored PS360 port will finally get it right.

Skilletor

A boss in Ninja Gaiden.

I think Ninja Gaiden is at its best when boss battles are 1 v 1 affairs with some minions on the side: Doku, Whatever the ninja's name was from NG2, Alma, Murai, etc.

But...that was the worst battle in the series by far. I'm surprised they kept it.

OmegaZero

I think Ninja Gaiden is at its best when boss battles are 1 v 1 affairs with some minions on the side: Doku, Whatever the ninja's name was from NG2, Alma, Murai, etc.

But...that was the worst battle in the series by far. I'm surprised they kept it.

That's the point.
It still surprises me that it exists, honestly.

I agree, though: 1vs1 fights have always been the highlight of NG bosses for me.

Skilletor

Day 4 is awesome. Framerate has been really good throughout. :D

I am capping some footage, but since I'm playing from the Wii U pad, there's no sound. I'll see about adding some later.

From today's Nintendo Direct:

QHajg.jpg

Skilletor

OHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!

Here's a video I capped last night. There's no sound because apparently there's no sound when capping with my hauppage and playing on the wii pad. Watching Dark Knight Rises + Wii U = awesome.

I'll try capping some vids straight from the console. Anybody want to see something in particular?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=qYWV20nJ_zQ

I have to say that this chapter felt awesome. It felt like NG. I'm going to start trying to mess around with using the cicada counter and getting intentional SOBs. Still getting used to Ryu's different animations.

I'm super digging the game.

Kai Dracon

I'm assuming that Momiji and Kasumi are playable in like Ninja Trials / co-op Ninja Trials. Not actually new single player chapters or something.

Juken

I'm assuming that Momiji and Kasumi are playable in like Ninja Trials / co-op Ninja Trials. Not actually new single player chapters or something.

I'm sure you can use them in chapter challenge at least...but yeah they would've mentioned it if they had brand new chapters for them.

I really hope you are wrong. Anayne's first level is the best level in NG3:RE. I really want a level designed like that for Momiji.

I've been playing this game after beating Batman and DSII. I've been playing on normal and it's been years since I played NG2. The game really forces you to learn how to play to move on. I think that's pretty cool. I see some other people (on Miiverse) had no idea what they were getting into, though.

I just beat the T-Rex last night. Fuck that guy.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I really hope you are wrong. Anayne's first level is the best level in NG3:RE. I really want a level designed like that for Momiji.

The 2 DLC characters do not have story chapters.

They can play any story chapter in one of the gameplay modes however.

Top Bottom