• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

rvy

Banned
Momiji is the best designed by far, she does actually bring something unique to NGS2

Ayane levels just felt like a chore.

Rachel is hot garbage, always was and always will be.

I'm guessing that's because she was designed as a playable character, as opposed to a story character that became a playable one, like the other two girls.

MCD

Momiji just have one cool move: Jump YT charging.

Which can be easily added to Ryu if they wanted to.

NateDrake

Momiji coming early next week. Kasumi by year's end.

Nintendo Facebook page:
There’s a new update to the roster of free, exclusive playable characters for NINJA GAIDEN 3: Razor's Edge for Wii U. We just announced that Kasumi from Dead or Alive will be a playable character for the first time in NINJA GAIDEN history, and will be available for download before the end of the year! You can get the first free downloadable character, Momiji, early next week.

Skilletor

Rachel is the most unfun character to play as.

Ayane's movelist is pretty well fleshed out in this. She doesn't feel as half-baked as she did in NGS2. I hope they put the same attention in to Momiji and Kasumi.

Re: Bitching about these particular character additions: You don't have to play as them. You're only forced to play as Ayane.

But aside from Rachel, I enjoy all of these characters. I'm a DoA fan, so these additions are more than welcome.

I quit playing NGS+ because of the 2nd Rachel section. She's horrible. :(

Sushigod7

Considering picking this up now with the extra characters and updates they did. Can you guys who have played tell me are the death kill slowdown deals still in there? On the PS3 demo every kill was slowed down and it got old real quick. Forgive me if I missed it in the thread I didn't see it mentioned.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Considering picking this up now with the extra characters and updates they did. Can you guys who have played tell me are the death kill slowdown deals still in there? On the PS3 demo every kill was slowed down and it got old real quick. Forgive me if I missed it in the thread I didn't see it mentioned.

The overall system has been rolled back to NG2 where you perform obliterations on wounded enemies before they rush you with death attacks. So you press heavy attack near one and get a flashy fatality.

But no, it's not like vanilla anymore (which is good).

Sushigod7

The overall system has been rolled back to NG2 where you perform obliterations on wounded enemies before they rush you with death attacks. So you press heavy attack near one and get a flashy fatality.

But no, it's not like vanilla anymore (which is good).

Thanks man awesome news love my NG but that original release was horrid. I think I'll pick this up with that TRU sale going on.

Skilletor

they're still in, but its more of a counter now. They actually take skill to pull off.

Effect

I do hope the game does well sales wise in the end. Enjoying it. If the bulk of third party support ends up being games from Japan I would help early one those games do well. So here's hoping Nintendo makes some noise when the DLC comes out to bring attention back to it.

JoeFu

Banned
I think this game is fun... and I haven't really been bothered by the framerate.

The stupid 3 ninja fight with Ayane was freaking annoying, but spamming her ultimate seemed to work well enough.

I think Bayo on ps3 was worse than thus frame rate wise

Skilletor

I didn't really have any problems with the ninjas. I was happy to see them, and it was also a nice storyline nod when Ayane mentioned they didn't have leadership anymore.

And if there's one thing I've learned about framerate on this forum, it's that some people are more sensitive, others less. Bayonetta may have been loads worse than the 360 version, but I don't think at any point that it dropped frames so bad that the music started skipping, or that it was running at 15fps at any point. I could be wrong, though. I didn't play it much.

I swear this drops from 60 to 30 and lower. I would love a DF analysis.

Dantis

I quit playing NGS+ because of the 2nd Rachel section. She's horrible. :(

It was a real slog for me to get through, and I was only on normal. Her lack of moves is almost laughable.

Have you finished Razor's Edge yet? When I inevitably get a Wii U at some point, it's pretty much the only interesting game to me, so I really want it to be good.

Skilletor

It was a real slog for me to get through, and I was only on normal. Her lack of moves is almost laughable.

Have you finished Razor's Edge yet? When I inevitably get a Wii U at some point, it's pretty much the only interesting game to me, so I really want it to be good.

I haven't yet.

The more I play, the more I enjoy it. The encounters are becoming more and more comparable to previous NG games. The day 4 boss is pretty cool. I really want to unlock more weapons.

School is almost over for me, so I'll be able to play some more next week. I'll be uploading more chapters on Youtube when I do. :)

Uh... OK.

Right, haha. The only game I can compare this to as far as performance is ps3 Bayonetta. Maybe some Ninja Theory UE3 games? I haven't played more than an hour or two of most of those, though.

JoeFu

Banned
I dunno... Framerate hasn't bothered me at all in this game, but I'm only on day 3, maybe it gets worse. For some reason bayonetta really bothered me. Maybe I'm just weird.

Dantis

I haven't yet.

The more I play, the more I enjoy it. The encounters are becoming more and more comparable to previous NG games. The day 4 boss is pretty cool. I really want to unlock more weapons.

School is almost over for me, so I'll be able to play some more next week. I'll be uploading more chapters on Youtube when I do. :).

Remind me what the Day 4 boss is? Most of the boss encounters in the vanilla game were so bad you wouldn't believe it. I can't understand how TN got it so wrong.

JoeFu

Banned
Okay... The framerate got terrible at the one part where you dive onto that tower and those bazooka guys are shooting you.

JoeFu

Banned
The online co op is pretty fun. Played a bunch with my main man volc. Nice to see it uses the gamepads mic for voice-chat. Don't get why blops2 can't do it...

I'm up to the end of Ryu's day 6. Days 4 through Ayane's day 6 were fantastic, the best segments of the game so far. Even the boss fights were enjoyable.

Ryu's days 6 was pretty OK but this end boss segment :/

I'm trying to figure out what Team Ninja is thinking about here. I'll spoiler for anyone who hasn't gotten there yet in either game.

So the boss battle begins with fighting two of the armored spider tanks from the first day. OK, annoying as hell but doable. I had a feeling that there would be more and sure enough the main baddie shows up and forms into a giant robot. OK, the robot goes down so surely the fight is over here right? Nope, the giant robot eats a fighter jet (???) and morphs into a flying armored attack dragon. Gah, wtf is going on?!?!?!?

OK, this is getting incredibly long and annoying but how much longer can it go? I shoot the dragon out of the sky, it then hits the ground and turns into some kind of motorized trike version of the horrible T-Rex boss from day 3. Oh hell no, there's no way Team Ninja thought that the dino fight was so great that it needed to be revisited. At this point I'm super annoyed and I've been fighting bosses for an hour so I decide to save and take a break... of course it never occured to me that the game didn't save at the point where I stopped playing until I loaded it up again and it's now at the beginning of the spider tank battle again >_<

Yeah, I think I need to take a few days off before I try to get through that again and I'll most likely just drop the difficulty to Hero to make it through as fast as possible. It's a shame too because the game was really improving a lot until that segment. It's just amazing to me that the game was re-done and stuff like the end bosses of day 3 and day 6 were kept as is.

When that boss rolls towards you just slide under the lasers between his wheels and then shoot the wheels with an arrows. It goes down really fast.

Never even thought of trying that but I was so tired at that point I just wanted it to end. Did vanilla NG3 have health items? Not having any in RE is really a problem for these multi-stage boss battles. Ninpo restores almost nothing against bosses, especially these robotic enemies.

Skilletor

So, if I've never played a Ninja Gaiden game (aside from the demo for the DS one) would I like this? Is it any good?

Do you have an xbox or ps3?

If yes, buy Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninja Gaiden 2, or Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma.

If no, this game is okay, but every one that has come before it is much better.

Never even thought of trying that but I was so tired at that point I just wanted it to end. Did vanilla NG3 have health items? Not having any in RE is really a problem for these multi-stage boss battles. Ninpo restores almost nothing against bosses, especially these robotic enemies.

It didn't. The Dragon Ninpo filled your health to 100%, I believe. Sometimes it does feel as if this game is balanced around always getting all of your health back like that.

Do you have an xbox or ps3?

If yes, buy Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninja Gaiden 2, or Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma.

If no, this game is okay, but every one that has come before it is much better.

I have both of the other consoles. But I was mainly looking at this as something else to have on Wii U.

As I said, the other games are all much better. :)

This game isn't bad, but I wouldn't recommend it over the other games in the series.
Prior to day 6 I wouldn't have agreed with you but the game is still too uneven to recommend it to any one over the other games. I'm no Sigma fan but even those games seemed to have fewer issues overall. If the DLC characters are as good as they look I would think that chapter playthroughs where the problem chapters can be avoided will make the game much more playable. Kind of like skipping the bad tracks on a decent album.

Skilletor

Prior to day 6 I wouldn't have agreed with you but the game is still too uneven to recommend it to any one over the other games. I'm no Sigma fan but even those games seemed to have fewer issues overall. If the DLC characters are as good as they look I would think that chapter playthroughs where the problem chapters can be avoided will make the game much more playable. Kind of like skipping the bad tracks on a decent album.

That's what I'm looking forward to.

But I agree. Day 1 and Day 2 were only okay. Day 3 and Day 4 were great, they really felt like NG.

I will enjoy doing chapter challenge with various characters, though.

Het_Nkik

So I just blasted throught the game in one day on Saturday. It's... uneven. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's frustrating but fair. Sometimes it's frustrating because I feel the game is broken as shit. The last boss comes to mind. The camera angle is set up to be cinematic or something, which means a low camera angle, which means it's really hard to see all the dudes you have to fight. And then the boss has attacks that block 100% of your vision so you can't see shit that's going on. The entire time it's raining projectiles that land in random spots. It feels more luck based than skill based. It's annoying as shit.

Frame rate gets really damn bad in some spots. The first time you have to fight dudes while a helicopter is shooting at you, the framerate was slideshow-ish. Actually just about any times helicopters are involved the framerate takes a shit.

But you know, I still love being a bad ass ninja and slicing through dudes and overcoming tough (but fair!) bosses. So I still enjoyed it overall. It had its moments.

I really like playing as Ayane, btw. Her version of the inazuma drop where she lands on the enemies standing on them breaks them in half makes me way happier than it should.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It didn't. The Dragon Ninpo filled your health to 100%, I believe. Sometimes it does feel as if this game is balanced around always getting all of your health back like that.

Personally, I've experienced that using the healing Ki move (hold down L3), which not only refills health but restores lost health bar, seems to be what you're supposed to do before a boss/at boss checkpoints if you go into it with any Ki available. Rather than saving it for Ninpo.

Some boss checkpoints make that a bit impractical, but for example against the day 03 dino, I was able to recharge a decent chunk of my health during the startup and still dodge out of the way when he charged me. Well that, and you could charge up Ki during the fight, and recharge while Derpasaurus is currently knocked out against a wall.

And the final checkpoint for the day 04 boss starts you off in the room before her final stage so you can easily pause and recharge if you've got the Ki.

Combined with a few other moves that actually use up Ki in this version, like bullet time bow targeting in the air, makes me think that Ki management and thinking ahead before blowing Ninpo on a group of enemies, is primary to attacking stages strategically.

Skilletor

Personally, I've experienced that using the healing Ki move (hold down L3), which not only refills health but restores lost health bar, seems to be what you're supposed to do before a boss/at boss checkpoints if you go into it with any Ki available. Rather than saving it for Ninpo.

Some boss checkpoints make that a bit impractical, but for example against the day 03 dino, I was able to recharge a decent chunk of my health during the startup and still dodge out of the way when he charged me. Well that, and you could charge up Ki during the fight, and recharge while Derpasaurus is currently knocked out against a wall.

And the final checkpoint for the day 04 boss starts you off in the room before her final stage so you can easily pause and recharge if you've got the Ki.

Combined with a few other moves that actually use up Ki in this version, like bullet time bow targeting in the air, makes me think that Ki management and thinking ahead before blowing Ninpo on a group of enemies, is primary to attacking stages strategically.

You know...I forgot all about that move. lol

I bought it early but haven't used it.

Het_Nkik

I bought it and then looked for it in my Ki list but didn't see it so never used it. Didn't realize it was its own thing lol. Probably would have made some bosses a lot easer.

I have been taking advantage of that although some of the boss battles pop up without much warning and the dino boss was the only one so far where it was safe to try to use it.

I attempted it during the day 6 boss when it was shooting out the lasers and I got hit for more damage than I was able to restore. The health management aspect of the game hasn't been that difficult until that day 6 boss guantlet but the game seems to give you back health from ninpo based on how much health damage you inflict on enemies (I think). The only problem with the day 6 boss gauntlet is that it doesn't seem to give you anything back on mechanical bosses. I hit the spider tanks with a fully charged inferno attack and got nothing back for health. I wonder if that's a glitch though.

I haven't played the previous games, and going through this version of NG3, so any opinion I have is irrelevant.

I can say this though: It is a Kill Bill Part 1 simulator.

Top Bottom