• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's dge |OT| I guess that's what it means to be a ninja

Effect

Dropped the game down to hero. Still getting my butt kicked at times but at least not dying as often. The Regent/mask guy was not doable on Normal for me even with figuring out how to approach him. To much damage was being done. Pushed it back up to Normal but then had to drop it again for the magic casting ninja fight. I've just kept it on Hero for the last few fights. Even then if I'm careful it's easy to get surrounded.

You wont' be penalize if you beat the game on Hero right? The game doesn't care right? It will show up in the leader boards right?

zroid

Banned
So how are you guys finding this game, overall? Does everything click, or does it feel like they just superimposed NG2's systems over NG3's design, resulting in an unpolished mishmash?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So how are you guys finding this game, overall? Does everything click, or does it feel like they just superimposed NG2's systems over NG3's design, resulting in an unpolished mishmash?

I'm not an expert level NG player. But it feels cohesive and surprisingly polished to me. They re-did the enemy behavior (as far as I can tell) to work with the altered system. The enemy groups and locations are different, so level flow feels new even if the stage geometry is mostly the same.

It mostly seems to click, yeah.

zroid

Banned
I'm not an expert level NG player. But it feels cohesive and surprisingly polished to me. They re-did the enemy behavior (as far as I can tell) to work with the altered system. The enemy groups and locations are different, so level flow feels new even if the stage geometry is mostly the same.

It mostly seems to click, yeah.

Sounding pretty good. Ninja Gaiden was one of my favourite games of the last gen, and although I skipped NG2, I've been meaning to try it for a while. So if Razor's Edge can approximately match its quality, I'm definitely in.

I just figured out something, It seems like you get credit for crystal skulls just for attempting them. I've earned 4 but I've only finished 2.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I just figured out something, It seems like you get credit for crystal skulls just for attempting them. I've earned 4 but I've only finished 2.

Yeah actually I find that it doesn't even matter if you finish or not. Actually if you do really well your first time trying it and get a lot of karma, it's best to not re-attempt it if you die on the last dude or something cause you lose the karma you have already gained on that run. But if you just proceed you keep the karma and whatever, try again next time. There doesn't seem to be any record of you actually finishing a skull, only finding them. And if you win, it seems like all you get is just a moderate karma bonus.

I heard that if you collect
ten of the eleven crystal skulls, just finding them but not beating them, that's how you unlock the final costumes

Skilletor

I don't know if its problem with my computer but the sound sync is off.

But yea Momiji looks awesome.

I just noticed...I'll have to tinker with some settings. :/

Hmm, weird, must be something going on with the upload to youtube. The capped video is fine.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsUsvJqKj04&feature=youtu.be

Ayane

They're both much more fleshed out than NGS2. Doing these trials makes me realize the tracking is pretty bad. :/

Ok, maybe I'm just terrible or don't understand the game(both are HIGHLY likely), but I do not like being killed by off screen stuff such as missiles, a random lunging attacks I couldn't see, a flying jet, etc. Not trying to draw comparisons here, but I've never had an issue with this sort of thing is something like DMC. The sounds the enemies made often gave away what they were about to do even if you couldn't see them, so it was never hindered me or seemed unfair. In this game, even if you have good enemy position awareness of where they were right before going off camera, you can still get fucked by something you didn't see at all such as a rocket guy showing up. I have no issues with then when I know they are coming since I've died their already, but it's a bit irritating to NOT no they are coming up, be in the middle of fighting a few guys, and suddenly catch a rocket to the back from an enemy you didn't even know existed until that point. I get that this may be the point of it, but it doesn't really seem "fair" from a gameplay standpoint. I would rather the game be so brutally hard that I can't beat the first level due to me just being terrible rather than being hit by attacks I have no knowledge of being there to begin with.

Same thing happened with the jet boss. You start getting attacked by those flying flame guys, then out of nowhere you catch a jet to the back for a one hit kill lol. Now, I know how to take out those guys faster to help avoid such a thing, but I just don't think I should have to die in order to be taught in a game like this.

- What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

- What should I rethink in terms of how to attack this game and become better?

- Are there systems at play that I'm not aware of?

I'm enjoying the game honestly, it's just that since actually trying to play it more seriously this time around, I'm finding a few issues with it. Issues that I've always had with Ninja Gaiden. I do love how the enemies don't just stand around now though in assimbly line fashion. I sort of laughed at that in the vanilla version, but that really isn't the case anymore lol

Skilletor

Ok, maybe I'm just terrible or don't understand the game(both are HIGHLY likely), but I do not like being killed by off screen stuff such as missiles, a random lunging attacks I couldn't see, a flying jet, etc. Not trying to draw comparisons here, but I've never had an issue with this sort of thing is something like DMC. The sounds the enemies made often gave away what they were about to do even if you couldn't see them, so it was never hindered me or seemed unfair. In this game, even if you have good enemy position awareness of where they were right before going off camera, you can still get fucked by something you didn't see at all such as a rocket guy showing up. I have no issues with then when I know they are coming since I've died their already, but it's a bit irritating to NOT no they are coming up, be in the middle of fighting a few guys, and suddenly catch a rocket to the back from an enemy you didn't even know existed until that point. I get that this may be the point of it, but it doesn't really seem "fair" from a gameplay standpoint. I would rather the game be so brutally hard that I can't beat the first level due to me just being terrible rather than being hit by attacks I have no knowledge of being there to begin with.

Same thing happened with the jet boss. You start getting attacked by those flying flame guys, then out of nowhere you catch a jet to the back for a one hit kill lol. Now, I know how to take out those guys faster to help avoid such a thing, but I just don't think I should have to die in order to be taught in a game like this.

- What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

- What should I rethink in terms of how to attack this game and become better?

- Are there systems at play that I'm not aware of?

I'm enjoying the game honestly, it's just that since actually trying to play it more seriously this time around, I'm finding a few issues with it. Issues that I've always had with Ninja Gaiden. I do love how the enemies don't just stand around now though in assimbly line fashion. I sort of laughed at that in the vanilla version, but that really isn't the case anymore lol

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's always been one of the weak points of NG, imo, especially NG2.

Do you have the focus attack move for your arrow? Try using that more. The arrow will often auto-aim at far off enemies. You'll especially want to use it on the rocket guys. I try to keep moving at all times when there are any projectile enemies on screen.

I try to take out projectile enemies first off in this game. They have almost no health. Pretty much one attack and they die.

Damn the game looks great, but the framerate really does go to shit.

Yeah...youtube being 30fps really hides how bad it got in the Ayane vid. It was turrible.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's always been one of the weak points of NG, imo, especially NG2.

Do you have the focus attack move for your arrow? Try using that more. The arrow will often auto-aim at far off enemies. You'll especially want to use it on the rocket guys. I try to keep moving at all times when there are any projectile enemies on screen.

I try to take out projectile enemies first off in this game. They have almost no health. Pretty much one attack and they die.

Cool. I'll try to keep these in mind when I jump back on it tomorrow, especially the focus arrow. Thanks.

I just noticed...I'll have to tinker with some settings. :/

Hmm, weird, must be something going on with the upload to youtube. The capped video is fine.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsUsvJqKj04&feature=youtu.be

Ayane

They're both much more fleshed out than NGS2. Doing these trials makes me realize the tracking is pretty bad. :/

That framerate.......Jesus.

This game definitely could of done with more time in the oven. That was worse than the vanilla ng3.
Hell, Even the staircase fight in ng2 wasn't this bad.

I don't even think you can blame the wii U. The original demo of NG3 was this bad, if you didn't use the dragon ninpo and allowed the enemies to continuously respawn.

The engine they are using is just fucked up.

Skilletor

That framerate.......Jesus.

This game definitely could of done with more time in the oven. That was worse than the vanilla ng3 hell Even the staircase fight in ng2 wasn't this bad.

It is horrible. And the drops in these vids aren't rare occurrences. It happens all of the time.

I said it earlier, but it's not hyperbole for me: this is the worst framerate in an action game I've ever played.

It is horrible. And the drops in these vids aren't rare occurrences. It happens all of the time.

I said it earlier, but it's not hyperbole for me: this is the worst framerate in an action game I've ever played.

Yeah like I said, I remember the show demo slowing to slideshow levels during the murder UT during the conditions I described above. The engine just cant handle all those effects.

Regarding tracking, don't the girls have a wind run move? It's been ages since I played sigma 2. Wind run was the only way I could deal with vanillas subpar lock on system.

Beat the game? I don't think my newbie self can do this :(

Sure you can. Just practice charging up ultimate's by holding down the X button. Once you getting the timing down it will make battle so easy. Also never let go of block unless it is to charge an ultimate or cast your ninpo. Once you learn to move around the map while blocking the whole time it makes battles so much easier. The scythe IMO is the best/easiest weapon in the game to use. Try to level it up to 3 as quick as possible. Lots of enemies can be beaten by just wall jumping and hitting attack at the top of your jump. Try using that to thin out big groups of enemies, especially the dogs.

I am so excited to go home and grab the update. I cant wait to see how she plays in this game, she was my favorite thing about Sigma 2.

I haven't played the previous games, and going through this version of NG3, so any opinion I have is irrelevant.

I can say this though: It is a Kill Bill Part 1 simulator.
Without and unlockable eye-plucking move I'm not sure how you could say this ;)

T-Rex battle? I like where this is going...
No, no you don't. Trust us...

I think I'm going to try to get back into this and finish it off tonight. I can't wait to try Momiji in CC :)

Now after Kasumi TN is going to work on the performance patch right? Right???
:'(

Het_Nkik

Man, reading about that T-Rex fight over and over in this thread got me thinking -- The boss life meters are absolutely worthless in this game. They don't mean ANYTHING. You'll be chipping off damage then hit a scripted scene or just lop something off and then all of a sudden the life meter will take a huge decrease. It doesn't actually tell you how close you are to killing anything since at any moment a quarter of the damn thing might come off all at once. It's dumb.

Skilletor

This literally looks like it was pulled directly out of NGS2. Even her move-list looks the same. Is there actually any difference?

Also, it looks clunkier than the old NG games. I noticed there were a few times where you missed enemies and things.

The targeting is off. Auto tracking is pretty bad. I can't recall an instance in NGS, NGB, or NG2 when an enemy was close to me and I would swing in the opposite direction. I didn't realize how bad the targeting was until these challenge missions. It's something I noticed in NGS+ and NG3 as well.

She feels more complete than she did in NGS2 to me. She and Ayane don't feel like Ryu with level 1 weapons. I didn't play her much in NGS2, though (just the missions I had to), so I could just be remembering wrong.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Man, reading about that T-Rex fight over and over in this thread got me thinking -- The boss life meters are absolutely worthless in this game. They don't mean ANYTHING. You'll be chipping off damage then hit a scripted scene or just lop something off and then all of a sudden the life meter will take a huge decrease. It doesn't actually tell you how close you are to killing anything since at any moment a quarter of the damn thing might come off all at once. It's dumb.

To be fair, given that the game is meant to be replayed a lot via chapter challenge having the live meters lets you know when a sequence change is coming up.

But yeah, the life meters with the bosses are wonky and the original version didn't have them at all, due to the nature of the bosses to go through a lot of phase and "gotcha" surprises.

I'd still rather have 'em though.

Dantis

The targeting is off. Auto tracking is pretty bad. I can't recall an instance in NGS, NGB, or NG2 when an enemy was close to me and I would swing in the opposite direction. I didn't realize how bad the targeting was until these challenge missions. It's something I noticed in NGS+ and NG3 as well.

She feels more complete than she did in NGS2 to me. She and Ayane don't feel like Ryu with level 1 weapons. I didn't play her much in NGS2, though (just the missions I had to), so I could just be remembering wrong.

Ayane definitely looks a load better. Maybe I'm remembering Momiji wrong. I dunno.

I do find it concerning that the new Ninja Gaiden team's solution to their problems is to roll back to what Itagaki did. They've released Sigma 2, NG3 and now NG3RE, and still not moved past standard NG2.

I haven't played the previous games, and going through this version of NG3, so any opinion I have is irrelevant.

I can say this though: It is a Kill Bill Part 1 simulator.
Haha, that's an interesting way of putting it.

And man, waiting for it here in the UK next month is killing me. Wish I was still in Cali and got a Wii U there. :(

Revan

I've noticed this in NGS+ and NG3:RE as well. I think that the inclusion of Hero mode seriously screwed up the hit boxes/animations and targeting.

For example - The opening sequence in NGS2 before the first Buddha battle. I can fly through the level (just using the DS) pretty quickly in NGS2 (playing on Normal for comparison sake). NG3:RE (it's the beginning of Day 4) however take me twice as long to get through because I'm constantly having to re-position Ryu.

So - I redid Day 4 on Hero mode and guess what? Played the way it felt like it should (more like NGS2). Now, keep in mind that I never let it get to the point where Hero mode needed to be activated (although I probably should have) so I don't know if I'm imagining things or not, however, I have a feeling that the base game, the way that TN wanted NG3 (and NGS+ for that matter) to played was on Hero mode to attract a new audience who saw the NG series too difficult on a whole.

Again, I could be wrong but the game feels more.....fluid when playing on Hero mode. NG3 was a terrible janky mess and while RE almost fixes these issues it's still nowhere near the crispness of NGS2.

/for the record I have never owned an Xbox/360 so I have never played vanilla NG, NGB or vanilla NG2.

Skilletor

It doesn't feel as fluid for me because everything has more recovery. The animations are longer, there are more strings where a single button press results in a multiple hit string, you can't cancel strings with dashes. The framerate taking a nosedive whenever anything happens also contributes.

(Edit: Just passed 10k posts! lol. I've been on gaf for 6 years. Doesn't seem that long. :))

Revan

It doesn't feel as fluid for me because everything has more recovery. The animations are longer, there are more strings where a single button press results in a multiple hit string, you can't cancel strings with dashes. The framerate taking a nosedive whenever anything happens also contributes.

(Edit: Just passed 10k posts! lol. I've been on gaf for 6 years. Doesn't seem that long. :))

The AI has NG levels of recovery time - the player controlled character doesn't (or so I have found), which leads me to believe that this was supposed to be a button masher with no finesse of skill required....which infinitely sucks because I was seriously hoping that they would have fixed what was broken in NG3 with NG3:RE....instead what got what we got.

If there is a PS360 Sigma version of the game I hope they fix that shit and re-implement NGS2 combat system and scrap this one entirely.

Grats on the 10K btw - I'm still waiting for member status lol

Sure you can. Just practice charging up ultimate's by holding down the X button. Once you getting the timing down it will make battle so easy. Also never let go of block unless it is to charge an ultimate or cast your ninpo. Once you learn to move around the map while blocking the whole time it makes battles so much easier. The scythe IMO is the best/easiest weapon in the game to use. Try to level it up to 3 as quick as possible. Lots of enemies can be beaten by just wall jumping and hitting attack at the top of your jump. Try using that to thin out big groups of enemies, especially the dogs.

I am so excited to go home and grab the update. I cant wait to see how she plays in this game, she was my favorite thing about Sigma 2.

thanks for the tips! Will try this :)

I'm finding the Tests of Valor to be pretty easy on normal with Momiji.

EDIT: WOOT just got my first S rank....I still have no idea how they grade that. I only got D's with Ryu and Ayane but with Momiji I've gotten B's and an S

Skilletor

The AI has NG levels of recovery time - the player controlled character doesn't (or so I have found), which leads me to believe that this was supposed to be a button masher with no finesse of skill required....which infinitely sucks because I was seriously hoping that they would have fixed what was broken in NG3 with NG3:RE....instead what got what we got.

If there is a PS360 Sigma version of the game I hope they fix that shit and re-implement NGS2 combat system and scrap this one entirely.

Grats on the 10K btw - I'm still waiting for member status lol

I think this is exactly right, which is going to make the higher difficulties a pain in the ass. The enemies certainly feel more aggressive, but at the same time I feel more helpless as a result. I didn't know why, but I think this is right.

This is my first Ninja Gaiden game (aside from a bit of the very first NES game) and wow am I having a lot of fun with it. Maybe it's because I'm not comparing it to Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, having never played them, or maybe I just haven't gotten far enough (Just finished Day 3), but I don't see how this can only have a 70 on metacritic. This is easily an 8-8.5 game for me.

goldenpp72

This is my first Ninja Gaiden game (aside from a bit of the very first NES game) and wow am I having a lot of fun with it. Maybe it's because I'm not comparing it to Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, having never played them, or maybe I just haven't gotten far enough (Just finished Day 3), but I don't see how this can only have a 70 on metacritic. This is easily an 8-8.5 game for me.

Get access to ninja gaiden black and NG2 somehow, it will all make sense :p

Revan

I'd really be interested in hearing your thoughts on prior NG games (except vanilla NG3.....for the moment) once you are done with NG3:RE. If you have a PS360 go grab any of the games (the Sigma games are the PS3 versions - NGB and NG2 are 360 - all of them should be really cheap too) - I suspect you'd see almost an immidiate difference in the combat alone (I won't even get into essence).

All the other NG games feel much tighter control wise to those who have played the past games first - but I would (and probably others) would love to hear what you'd have to say about the differences between this iteration and the others, having started with NG3:RE.

Don't waste your time with vanilla NG3 either until you've played everything else - there is a reason why people have bitched so much about it.

Dantis

So on a slightly related note: Last night I got a sealed copy of NG3 for 98p. Just loaded it up, and honestly, it's not quite as bad as I remembered (Day 1, at least). It's still awful, but it's not the worst game I've ever played.

Top Bottom