• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

If I didn't get Persona 3 a few days ago I would probably have gone insane during the wait for this game.

Must resist temptation to watch all the new videos...

clav

PJX said:
They gave it a 6 in graphics. That review already auto failed.
lol @ the PS3 fanboys jumping on the ship saying this is payback for all the hate they get in the comments. :lol

HondaF1Fanatic

Neo Member
Spirit of Jazz said:
It was reviewed by the guy who gave Bully and Boom Blox max marks, not to mention Penny Arcade is a better game.

Boom Blox and Bully are both great games though. One thing I am getting from the reviews is that they think it is too hard, I never felt that way about Sigma and I started out on hard. Hopefully that means I can handle NGSII on easy or normal especially since this won't be on my own console but a friend's.

HondaF1Fanatic said:
Boom Blox and Bully are both great games though. One thing I am getting from the reviews is that they think it is too hard, I never felt that way about Sigma and I started out on hard. Hopefully that means I can handle NGSII on easy or normal especially since this won't be on my own console but a friend's.

I'm not denying they're good games to an extent, however neither have the narrative drive, artistic imagination or immaculate gameplay to deserve a 10 out of 10 mark. Actually on a gameplay level Bully is pathetically shallow and repetitive.

Also I'm having difficulty seeing why anybody would have a hard time on easy/medium with this title seeing if it's l like the original spamming wall attacks and Izunas will be enough. On another note I've gone back to playing the original and I've already ran into one cheap instant death I forgot about on the airship with guards shooting me off the railing (if you're too hasty about it you don't see them come out around the other side of the ship and then the camera rotates to face Ryu's front so it's impossible to know they're there before it's too late.) so I'm not so sure why it's a huge issue now when it was just as simple to fix back then.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
sinnergy said:
Amazing, has to do with taste?

And not looking at this objective.

The story is totally pointless svada disguised behind skinnkledde puppedamer, and in addition, poorly told. To fight through the game's many levels are simply boring, then the game do not do anything to motivate me. I butcher me through the endless rows of Ninja and ghastly creatures, without any idea about where I'm on the road or why.

Fuck, man. I could apply that same shitty, apathetic attitude to any game and make it sound like ass.

Mamesj

Banned
The story is totally pointless svada disguised behind skinnkledde puppedamer, and in addition, poorly told. To fight through the game's many levels are simply boring, then the game do not do anything to motivate me. I butcher me through the endless rows of Ninja and ghastly creatures, without any idea about where I'm on the road or why.

The reviewer is totally pointless svada disguised behind skinnkledde puppedamer. He needs to read AMN's lesson on “It doesn’t have to make sense, just make it awesome” design.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
HondaF1Fanatic said:

You mean Normal right? I'm playing Sigma now and Hard isn't unlocked until you beat the game on Normal first.

Vaxadrin

Banned
I don't see what's so hard to understand about why you're fighting werewolves. They're fucking werewolves, they need to die. You can't just let them roam about freely. It's the same with the red dragons that appear out of nowhere in NG1.

KTallguy

Banned
Brandon F said:
You mean Normal right? I'm playing Sigma now and Hard isn't unlocked until you beat the game on Normal first.

You can download a save off of the internets and start on hard mode any time you want.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Vaxadrin said:
I don't see what's so hard to understand about why you're fighting werewolves. They're fucking werewolves, they need to die. You can't just let them roam about freely. It's the same with the red dragons that appear out of nowhere in NG1.

Yeah, I'm not sure what wrong turn society took that would cause someone to spot a mutant zombie with a chainsaw for one arm and a rocket launcher for another and go, "Meh, what's my motivation again?"

Drewsy

Banned
Vaxadrin said:
I don't see what's so hard to understand about why you're fighting werewolves. They're fucking werewolves, they need to die. You can't just let them roam about freely.

:lol

That should be a box quote.

duckroll

Vaxadrin said:
I really felt lost playing Tetris. The game doesn't explain to me at all why I need to rotate blocks into a hole.

I made up this scenario the other day to illustrate this exact point in another conversation.

In a far off galaxy, a planet has exploded. Millions of its inhabitants got away in escape carriers. Hundreds of years pass, and they have finally found a planet they can safely land on, but unfortunately the carriers are out of fuel and they all break apart into individual escape pods shaped differently. As these pods crash towards the planet, you are a junior air control officer who must guide each pod to land safely on the runway. The pods are designed such that they only open to release the people inside when enough cells are aligned in a row.

DO YOUR BEST! SAVE A LOST ALIEN CIVILIZATION! PLAY TETRIS TODAY! :D

duckroll

claviertekky said:
Or platformers like Mario Galaxy.

Platformers aren't action games? I'm not sure what the point of specifically mentioning Mario Galaxy in a NG2 thread would be either.... unless....

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
duckroll said:
I made up this scenario the other day to illustrate this exact point in another conversation.

In a far off galaxy, a planet has exploded. Millions of its inhabitants got away in escape carriers. Hundreds of years pass, and they have finally found a planet they can safely land on, but unfortunately the carriers are out of fuel and they all break apart into individual escape pods shaped differently. As these pods crash towards the planet, you are a junior air control officer who must guide each pod to land safely on the runway. The pods are designed such that they only open to release the people inside when enough cells are aligned in a row.

DO YOUR BEST! SAVE A LOST ALIEN CIVILIZATION! PLAY TETRIS TODAY! :D

I was always a fan of, Russia is raining blocks on you, do what you can to survive.

Mamesj

Banned
KTallguy said:
You can download a save off of the internets and start on hard mode any time you want.

Sigma has console-specific, protected saves. no easy unlocks, unfortunately.

A tentacle monster has busted through the wall and eaten the random busty blonde chick! Is this awesome? y/n

yeah, that was another point about the 1up review that was bothersome...

It's fun to pretend that NG2 doesn't take itself seriously when werewolves start throwing the torsos of other slain werewolves at you, but most of the time, it's just embarrassing to watch the parade of laughably lame fiends tear down any pretense of badassery. Once you've seen the Matrix Reloaded-style underground scene of monsters cheering and beating on drums, the unintentional hilarity comes full circle.

Is he really using the fucking Matrix as an innuendo against the werewolf arena??????! Yes, that scene in the Matrix was the moment where we all realized the sequel would suck, but that's neither here nor there. Was the arena scene that offensive to his "high-brow" sensibilities? and of what relevance is the game's pretense of seriousness when you're trapped in the middle of an arena and 100s of werewolves suddenly get pissed at you? :lol

dammit, RockSolidAudio. dammit. You may be reading this, so I'll just say I think you've lost your gaming survival instinct...you're too used to games that don't want to kill you, so in an effort to get back at this game, you analyzed whether the werewolves should be taken seriously. It's kind of a low blow against Ninja Gaiden, which sets out to do nothing more than put you in situations where you have to defend yourself. If you would suspend your disbelief for a moment, you'd see that being trapped in an arena full of werewolves is the pinnacle of that kind of game design :lol

but once again, this game needs to get here so I can stop reviewing reviews!!!1

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Ninja Gaiden 2
My Enemies are about to learn that life's a bitch and then you die.

I'm missing a Dodgers game(free!) for this. :lol

Mamesj said:
Is he really using the fucking Matrix as a strawman argument against the werewolf arena??????! Yes, that scene in the Matrix was the moment where we all realized the sequel would suck, but that's neither here nor there. Was the arena scene that offensive to his "high-brow" sensibilities? and of what relevance is the game's pretense of seriousness when you're trapped in the middle of an arena and 100s of werewolves suddenly get pissed at you? :lol

I'd also note that if it turned into a huge Werewolf orgy I'd get worried, however it's nothing like the Matrix fuck up.

Monocle

The whole "reviews don't matter" attitude is kind of silly. I doubt everyone would be saying this if NG2 were getting 9 - 9.5s.

The way I see it, we should not discount issues that are brought up by multiple reviewers. Even if we choose not to take their complaints at face value, a negative consensus is a signal to look at the identified area more closely. According to the reviews I've read so far, NG2's camera, framerate and difficulty have problems. This is useful information, particularly to people like me who aren't completely sold on a first day purchase. When I come to this thread and see so many of you in apparent denial that NG2 isn't the flawless sequel we all were hoping for, I can't help but think you're missing the fact that the purpose of reviews is to inform people, not tell everyone what they want to hear. In this sense, reviews most definitely do matter. Obviously you don't have to fully agree with every review you read, but dismissing one out of hand simply because you dislike its conclusion is irrational and ridiculous, unless it's clear the author is well and truly unable to offer an informed opinion on the game they've reviewed.

The 1up review is up : http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3167969&p=4

It got a B-

I don't think i'll be buying this one, doesn't seem my sorta gig, but hopefully fans of the series will enjoy it.

How metacritic equated B- to 67 I don't know, maybe B- is equal to 2 thirds of 100?

http://www.metacritics.com/games/platforms/xbox360/ninjagaiden2

If B- = 67, then maybe their whole scale is based on 15th's of 100?

A+ = 100
A = 93
A- = 87
B+ = 80
B = 73
B- = 67
C+ = 60
C = 53
C- = 47
D+ = 40
D = 33
D- = 27
E+ = 20
E = 13
E- = 7
F = 0

I'm bored :(

thrasher

Banned
Ninja99 said:
The whole "reviews don't matter" attitude is kind of silly. I doubt everyone would be saying this if NG2 were getting 9 - 9.5s.

The way I see it, we should not discount issues that are brought up by multiple reviewers. Even if we choose not to take their complaints at face value, a negative consensus is a signal to look at the identified area more closely. According to the reviews I've read so far, NG2's camera, framerate and difficulty have problems. This is useful information, particularly to people like me who aren't completely sold on a first day purchase. When I come to this thread and see so many of you in apparent denial that NG2 isn't the flawless sequel we all were hoping for, I can't help but think you're missing the fact that the purpose of reviews is to inform people, not tell everyone what they want to hear. In this sense, reviews most definitely do matter. Obviously you don't have to fully agree with every review you read, but dismissing one out of hand simply because you dislike its conclusion is irrational and ridiculous, unless it's clear the author is well and truly unable to offer an informed opinion on the game they've reviewed.

- Difficult is not a 'problem' That's now NG games have been
- Good players can maneuver the camera while keeping up with the pace
- Framerate issues have been fixed in the retail copies. Current reviews are based on 'review copy'

thrasher said:

-Hard is a problem to some if they don't have the patience for it.
-Good Players being able to cope with a flawed camera does not change the fact that the camera is flawed. Thats like saying "Good players at Lair can perform the fickle guesture motions consistently"

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Ninja99 said:

The camera doesn't matter to a lot of us, because it's very similar(or the same) as the old ones. We were fine with it then.

Difficulty is not an issue.

Frame rate? Boohoo.

You get to be wolverine! But a ninja wolverine!

FFChris said:
B- equates to 8 on the old scoring system I think.

(Note: I am not comparing these games, it is just a game I remembered the review score of)

I don't know if B- is 8. God Hand got an 8 in EGM but when everything was converted, it became B+.

It really doesn't matter considering B- is still considered good and we have all already made up our minds on if we will buy NG2 or not based on NG1.

FFChris

Linkzg said:
(Note: I am not comparing these games, it is just a game I remembered the review score of)

I don't know if B- is 8. God Hand got an 8 in EGM but when everything was converted, it became B+.

It really doesn't matter considering B- is still considered good and we have all already made up our minds on if we will buy NG2 or not based on NG1.

I see. In that case 6.7 is roughly correct.. but I can't imagine they would rate it that low if it was the old scoring system.

PhatSaqs

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
True. But hard to some = easy to others. Extremely subjective due to lack of clear basis.
-Good Players being able to cope with a flawed camera does not change the fact that the camera is flawed.
Joe says it's flawed, Jab says it's fine. Again, there's no clear basis here. It could be the first NG or it could be Bubsy 3D.

a Master Ninja said:
So let me get this straight:

Japanese Ninja Gaiden II Commercial

American Ninja Gaiden II Commercial

The American commercial starts strong, but what's with the gameplay footage? I realize you can't show the hyper-violence, but at least the Japanese one made the best of it. Would that footage be "too fast" for Western audiences? Hell, I think a 30 second cut of the CG announcement would be preferable. That's what God of War and Heavenly Sword do.
DOO DEET. DOO DEET. DEE DOO DOO. DA DOO.

soldat7

TheRagnCajun said:
-Good Players being able to cope with a flawed camera does not change the fact that the camera is flawed. Thats like saying "Good players at Lair can perform the fickle guesture motions consistently"

1) Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3 were hard. Ninja Gaiden was hard. Ninja Gaiden Black was hard. Ninja Gaiden Sigma was hard. Ninja Gaiden II is hard.

2) Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3 had cheap deaths. Ninja Gaiden had cheap deaths. Ninja Gaiden Black had cheap deaths. Ninja Gaiden Sigma had cheap deaths. Ninja Gaiden II has cheap deaths.

3) Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3 had bad stories. Ninja Gaiden had a bad story. Ninja Gaiden Black had a bad story. Ninja Gaiden Sigma had a bad story. Ninja Gaiden II has a bad story.

4) Ninja Gaiden, Ninja Gaiden Black, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma had poor cameras. Ninja Gaiden II has a poor camera.

See a trend here? I've personally loved every single one (although haven't played Sigma, but I still love it).

being strapped for cash does not make waiting for this game easy. i did all that very hard stuff on the original xbox version so i wanna step it up and go master ninja or whatever. but sadly only MGS4 is getting my money this month but i bet i can squeeze in a couple days and rent it before snake drops.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Gamespot delays Ninja Gaiden II Review

Hi all! I've had several readers ask me about Ninja Gaiden II, and when they could expect to see a review post. The short answer, of course, is always the same: we will post a review when it is ready.

The long answer is that Microsoft did not send final code to review outlets. The build we received suffers from loading issues, visual glitches, and other noticeable flaws that may or may not be present in the game you buy. Here is the statement we received from Microsoft when we pressed them on the matter:

Just a quick note from Team NINJA below regarding the "Ninja Gaiden II" red discs. Please note that the delay in load times you may experience is not representative of the final game. In the final boxed copy of the game, which you will receive once the game ships to retail on June 3 in the U.S., you will not experience any lag in load times. Team NINJA is aware of the issue and requests your patience as you play through the review red disc.

Xbox 360 spins DVDR media slower than replicated media, so it's not representative of how final media will perform. Also, please keep in mind that this build distributed early to you guys for review purposes is not final retail code (emphasis added -- KV). While the build contains many final gameplay features, story elements, and graphical capabilities, it's a press evaluation build so it is not as fully optimized as a retail product. Generally, load time is one feature that improves between review builds and final product. While there typically is not a major noticeable difference between review builds and retail product, it can vary, so please keep this in mind while working on your review.

Monocle

thrasher said:
- Framerate issues have been fixed in the retail copies. Current reviews are based on 'review copy'
1. Inconsistent difficulty is a problem, and virtually every review out there has remarked on NG2's weird combination of accessibility and sporadic stretches of frustration-inducing unfairness. To a game that relies so heavily on its combat, to the detriment of virtually every other element, I'd say delivering a consistently challenging experience is fairly crucial.

2. A player's ability to make the best of what he has isn't an acceptable alternative to a system that functions as it should. I think TheRagnCajun nailed it here.

3. Confirmation? I sure as hell hope you're right on this one.

QVT said:
The camera doesn't matter to a lot of us, because it's very similar(or the same) as the old ones. We were fine with it then.

Difficulty is not an issue.

Frame rate? Boohoo.

You get to be wolverine! But a ninja wolverine!
1. It didn't screw me over that much either, but from what I've heard it's worse this time.

2. See #1 in response to thrasher.

3. As an action gamer, are you really willing to settle for slowdown in what many consider to be a AAA franchise? Framerate hitches should be unacceptable in Ninja Gaiden. No excuses. We should accept nothing less than the best, especially after all of Itagaki's hyperbole about creating the perfect action title.

4. And I'm as excited as anyone. Just a little more cautious than usual in light of the lukewarm reviews.

Mamesj

Banned
Ninja99 said:

These are the same reviews we read when Ninja Gaiden 1 came out:

--omg so hard
--the camera is broken
--the story is bad
--the action is repetitive
--the environments are bland
--the platforming sucks

this time, the scores are lower, but the reviews are just as uninformative and they bitch harder and more furiously. After a couple days with NG1, it was apparent to people playing it that there was a lot more to the game than simple "action" and that it was a deeper, DMC-style action game that could be played forever. The reviews didn't convey that side of the story. In that sense, these NG2 (and NG1) reviews are like fighting game reviews--they'll talk about everything on the surface, but they're not going to go into any useful depth. None of these reviewers have established themselves as authorities on this game-- they're writing casual reviews for casual fans (because that's the way the wind is blowing in the industry these days.)

With that in mind, the real review is yet to come. Maybe Team Ninja nerfed NG2 somehow-- perhaps they screwed up guard crushes, gave too many enemies sabaki type properties, maybe the tonfas are useless-- it's these kinds of details a lot of us want. So, the ballot is still out, but I won't let "bad camera" and "too hard" sway me.

DC R1D3R

Banned
It's probably been posted before but here's Giancarlo Varanini's review
much like its predecessor, Ninja Gaiden II has this magical effect, a process where you first feel immense frustration--the kind that almost wants to make you stop playing the game because no matter how hard you try; you won’t be able to get past this certain point. Then comes the denial, placing blame on things like the camera or the new health regeneration system where your health is restored after every battle, but the maximum amount restored depends on how much damage you take. Then there’s acceptance--coming to the realization that while the camera occasionally causes some issues when it jerks from one side to another, particularly when a boss performs a dash attack, you’ll learn to use your attacks in such a way that not only properly orients the camera, but also deal some damage as well, effectively taking out two birds with one stone. And the regenerative health system? It’s a great addition to the Ninja Gaiden gameplay experience, making the overall game a little more forgiving and a tiny bit more strategic when you learn to not collect blue orbs until after a fight is finished to get a little extra bit of health. 9/10

Top Bottom