• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden II: The Official GAF Thread of Chaos

rvy

Banned
I noticed improvements, but, for all I know, this is because I was playing with no updates and I installed the updates the next day.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've been playing almost every day for the past few weeks. No recent updates that I can see. There may have been one that I downloaded when I first started it up again, but I don't remember.

rvy

Banned
GuardianE said:
I've been playing almost every day for the past few weeks. No recent updates that I can see. There may have been one that I downloaded when I first started it up again, but I don't remember.
Why must things be so hard. :lol

Why can't I skip the shitty fucking cut-scenes in this game? I can't get passed the second boss, and every time I die I have to watch him jump down from the roof and do his stupid fucking roar thing.

rvy

Banned
Neverender said:
Why can't I skip the shitty fucking cut-scenes in this game? I can't get passed the second boss, and every time I die I have to watch him jump down from the roof and do his stupid fucking roar thing.
Try pressing start maybe?

Draft

Neverender said:
Why can't your shitty fucking skills beat the second boss? Maybe you should go play Heavenly Sword.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Neverender said:

That's one of the few cutscenes you can't skip. I think because it's created realtime in the engine? Not sure, but it's a fluke cutscene, different from most of the others.

Draft said:
Why can't your shitty fucking skills beat the second boss? Maybe you should go play Heavenly Sword.

Well this is the first time I've ever played a Ninja Gaiden game so it's taken some time to get used to how the game works. Luckily I got the game free.

God's Beard said:
So you're saying his taunt is having the desired effect.

I can't really disagree, I am pretty bad at the game. The annoying cut-scenes that I have to watch after each time I fail aren't really motivating me to continue, however.

MoFuzz

Actually I've noticed that you can only skip cutscenes provided you have a save game showing that you are past that point.

So for example, if you have a save game up to chapter 3, you should be able to skip all cutscenes in the first 2 chapters.

Seems a rather strange design choice...

danmaku

I bought this game last weekend and played a bit in the last few days: holy shit, it is hard indeed. I started with path of the warrior but after a level I had to go back to the path of the acolyte. What a shame! :lol

Currently I'm on stage 4 and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it: is all about block and counter attack. I like the fact that even the weakest enemies have grabs and strong attacks that can break your guard, so you can't underestimate anyone. There's no "cannon fodder" here. On the other hand, when I meet groups of enemies I usually run away and try to take them out one by one. If I let them surround me I always get raped. Is this the right tactic (well, this and unleashing the ultimate technique whenever I can)?

My main problem, aside from the awful camera, are bosses. Stage 1 is a piece of cake, but stage 2 is a damn beast. Ultra fast attacks are fine, unblockable attacks? fine too, but how about unblockable attacks that I can't even dodge? The rotating sword attack always hits me, I can dodge the first blows but not the last one. How am I supposed to handle this? Same for stage 3 boss: I can dodge the electric balls, but not his small minions, there's too many of them. There must be some combat tactic that I'm not aware of. Any tips from master ninjas?

desh

danmaku said:
I bought this game last weekend and played a bit in the last few days: holy shit, it is hard indeed. I started with path of the warrior but after a level I had to go back to the path of the acolyte. What a shame! :lol

Currently I'm on stage 4 and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it: is all about block and counter attack. I like the fact that even the weakest enemies have grabs and strong attacks that can break your guard, so you can't underestimate anyone. There's no "cannon fodder" here. On the other hand, when I meet groups of enemies I usually run away and try to take them out one by one. If I let them surround me I always get raped. Is this the right tactic (well, this and unleashing the ultimate technique whenever I can)?

My main problem, aside from the awful camera, are bosses. Stage 1 is a piece of cake, but stage 2 is a damn beast. Ultra fast attacks are fine, unblockable attacks? fine too, but how about unblockable attacks that I can't even dodge? The rotating sword attack always hits me, I can dodge the first blows but not the last one. How am I supposed to handle this? Same for stage 3 boss: I can dodge the electric balls, but not his small minions, there's too many of them. There must be some combat tactic that I'm not aware of. Any tips from master ninjas?

Try continually dodge jumping. I haven't played the game in a while, but I remember you could dodge most stuff, if you repeated the following: dodge, then jump, then dodge, then jump, ...

danmaku

Yes, I figured it out by myself :D but thanks anyway. After 7 chapters on the path of the acolyte I thought that the game was becoming too easy, so I started a new game on warrior and beat it. Now I'm playing on path of the mentor, and the difficulty jump is pretty brutal. I replayed some chapters on warrior and now it looks so easy! :lol
This game has a lot of flaws and some really cheap deaths, but for some reason I can't stop playing it. Maybe because when the combat clicks it's so satisfying it makes up for all the (unnecessary) frustration you had to go through.

desh

I just started playing again, picking up my Path of the Mentor game. I had stopped about half-way through chapter 6, and now I've just finished chapter 8. Chapter 8 was brutal, and I'm not looking forward to Chapter 9 (the water fights with the mechs). How far are you on Mentor now?

danmaku

I'm at the last savepoint of stage 5. I had a lot of problems in stage 2 (the Rasetsu fight, I think it took me more than 100 tries!) and at the beginning of stage 3 but now I'm progressing rather smoothly (I even learned how to fight on water, something I never bothered to do on warrior). Werewolves are still fun as hell to fight (because they can take a lot of abuse before going down :lol ), and I swear I never saw those white ninjas before, do they really designed specific enemies for each difficulty level?

mernst23

I just started replaying the Mission Modes to get the last two achievements I need.

I'm 13/16 on MNM and still have mission 11, 12, and 14 to go
I'm 1/8 out of the weapon achievements (Only have the Scythe).

Never has a game made me so angry in my life. I somehow finished mission 10 and 13 last night after like a 6 hour marathon session of constantly dying because of the gold dragons on the second level of mission 10. Dagra Dai decided not to be a shithead and stay in the air the entire fight, but I still died at him like 5 times before I finally did it (barely). I kept using the Claw drop over and over for mission 13 and somehow did it, i was happy about that too.

Pachinko

Now that this is once again ressurected, am I alone in thinking the xbox version of this is superior to the ps3 port ?

The focus on flashyness and jiggling tits just makes sigma 2 feel like they zazz'd up the game and nuetered it at the same time.

I lost interest as soon as I had to play as momiji.

This in spite of many of NG2's problems being fixed.

There's just something enjoyable about fighting 10 dudes at once and having blood and ejecta all over the place.

Thread of forever indeed!

Just got around to beginning my journey to the Master Ninja list. As much as I'd like to 100% the game, I have to ask, is the Mission Pack really worth a purchase? It sounds rather bare bones, especially for the price.

Pachinko said:
Now that this is once again ressurected, am I alone in thinking the xbox version of this is superior to the ps3 port ?

The focus on flashyness and jiggling tits just makes sigma 2 feel like they zazz'd up the game and nuetered it at the same time.

There's just something enjoyable about fighting 10 dudes at once and having blood and ejecta all over the place.

Having played only the demo of Sigma 2, I suppose I'm not 100% qualified to make a judegment comparison. However, I didn't care for the demo much. Being able to hack the limbs off your enemies, to me, is a huge part of what makes the combat in NG2 so satisfying, and its absense in Sigma 2 is glaring. Some might argue that the gore is superficial, and while it is at some level, it actually does affect the gameplay as limbless enemies are potentially much more dangerous than those whose limbs are intact. Furthermore, looking around at what's left of your enemies after you've singlehandedly decimated them is a great feeling indeed.

ArachosiA 78 said:
Having played only the demo of Sigma 2, I suppose I'm not 100% qualified to make a judegment comparison. However, I didn't care for the demo much. Being able to hack the limbs off your enemies, to me, is a huge part of what makes the combat in NG2 so satisfying, and its absense in Sigma 2 is glaring. Some might argue that the gore is superficial, and while it is at some level, it actually does affect the gameplay as limbless enemies are potentially much more dangerous than those whose limbs are intact. Furthermore, looking around at what's left of your enemies after you've singlehandedly decimated them is a great feeling indeed.

Agree with the above, but I also enjoyed what little I played of Ayame in said demo!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Grimm Fandango said:
And I think the Master Ninja list needs some updating (ie, me >_>)

Me too. :(

Pachinko said:

This is a hotly debated topic, and one with no clear right answer. Some people prefer 2 despite all of the technical blemishes. Some people prefer Sigma 2 despite the easier difficulty and odd changes.

Played and beat both, though didn't finish Master Ninja in Sigma 2 (got distracted). I could go either way. I still think that Sigma 2 has a lot of merits and would probably recommend it more to anyone who wanted a taste of the NG series and those who are not gaming masochists like me.

ArachosiA 78 said:
Having played only the demo of Sigma 2, I suppose I'm not 100% qualified to make a judegment comparison. However, I didn't care for the demo much. Being able to hack the limbs off your enemies, to me, is a huge part of what makes the combat in NG2 so satisfying, and its absense in Sigma 2 is glaring.
Play the demo again, you CAN cut limbs off.

Fox Mulder

ArachosiA 78 said:

pretty much why the game ruled...

I still need to go back and finish it on the 360, but there's still so much rage over getting good at the game and MS fucking it up for like a whole month. By the time they got the shit fixed, I had moved on to other stuff.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
bkfount said:

I still need to go back and finish it on the 360, but there's still so much rage over getting good at the game and MS fucking it up for like a whole month. By the time they got the shit fixed, I had moved on to other stuff.

MS didn't fuck anything up. Tecmo released the patch that broke the game.

bkfount said:

Just play it. It's so worth it once you get back in the swing of things.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Pachinko said:

You damn sure aren't the only one.

Like what, half the enemies gone per encounter, almost no gore, making it easier, extra unnecessary characters? That takes away a hell of a lot in my book - and watching those limbs fly along with the blood strings streaming through the air, spurting out of openings - it's like what you'd imagine would really go down if a Super Ninja came through to fuck some shit up.

The biggest problem with the game to me was the framerate, and Team Ninja probably needed just one more month to get that polished, because it only happened when there was absolute chaos - and that was only because Ninja Gaiden II was the ONLY Team Ninja game with a hard release date, all thanks to Microsoft and its promotions, which was sadly a critical mistake for the polish...

Still the number one action game this gen for me by far though - the combat is untouchable.

Skilotonn said:

Like what, half the enemies gone per encounter, almost no gore, making it easier, extra unnecessary characters? That takes away a hell of a lot in my book - and watching those limbs fly along with the blood strings streaming through the air, spurting out of openings - it's like what you'd imagine would really go down if a Super Ninja came through to fuck some shit up.

The biggest problem with the game to me was the framerate, and Team Ninja probably needed just one more month to get that polished, because it only happened when there was absolute chaos - and that was only because Ninja Gaiden II was the ONLY Team Ninja game with a hard release date, all thanks to Microsoft and its promotions, which was sadly a critical mistake for the polish...

Still the number one action game this gen for me by far though - the combat is untouchable.

That's not cool. I'm getting ready to buy a PS3 just for Sigma 2 and Vs XIII. Think I'll hold off a little longer until vs XIII gets a solid release date then. Main reason I wanted Sigma 2 was for the co-op portion and extra boss bits. But it looks like Hayashi fucked up the whole essence of NGII and Itagaki's original vision by removing the gore element and adding all that bullshit otaku fanservice.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
295d5lh.png

Best thing ever.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
GuardianE said:
MS didn't fuck anything up. Tecmo released the patch that broke the game.

Wait wut??? What is the drama surrounding this? What is this patch and what did it do?

Brandon F said:
Wait wut??? What is the drama surrounding this? What is this patch and what did it do?

Patch made the game totally lock up in a couple of places (or at least before facing Dagra Dai).

Only way to complete the game was to clear your cache and keep the game from updating. The corrected update didn't come for more than a month.

And MS/Tecmo still had the gall to release the mission pack full priced after the whole affair. Such bullshit.

Jigsaw

Banned
riceandbeans said:
That's not cool. I'm getting ready to buy a PS3 just for Sigma 2 and Vs XIII. Think I'll hold off a little longer until vs XIII gets a solid release date then. Main reason I wanted Sigma 2 was for the co-op portion and extra boss bits. But it looks like Hayashi fucked up the whole essence of NGII and Itagaki's original vision by removing the gore element and adding all that bullshit otaku fanservice.

um

Skilotonn
xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
(Today, 07:18 PM)
Reply | Quote

ps3 version is fine,a bit easier on warrior and mentor but not on master ninja (not to mention ultimate ninja for the missions),limb removal is fully intact gameplaywise...though what's more important for a game like ninja gaiden,solid framerate for perfect playability or fountains of blood? (which looked better in their bullshots than ingame anyway)

the game is gorgeous in 720p,coop is a blast,enma's fang rocks

Jigsaw said:
um

Skilotonn
xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
(Today, 07:18 PM)
Reply | Quote

ps3 version is fine,a bit easier on warrior and mentor but not on master ninja (not to mention ultimate ninja for the missions),limb removal is fully intact gameplaywise...though what's more important for a game like ninja gaiden,solid framerate for perfect playability or fountains of blood? (which looked better in their bullshots than ingame anyway)

the game is gorgeous in 720p,coop is a blast,enma's fang rocks

Both. There's no one or the other :lol

Did they fix the huge slowdown portion towards the end of the game where you fight literally 20+ guys at once at the staircase? That portion was absolutely fucking epic, but the slowdown kind of brought it down.

Jigsaw

Banned
they limited the number of enemies to around 6 at once for the staircase fight,in other places you can "collect" enemies up to 12 though

11jqhl455cm.png

Fox Mulder

Grimm Fandango said:
Patch made the game totally lock up in a couple of places (or at least before facing Dagra Dai).

Only way to complete the game was to clear your cache and keep the game from updating. The corrected update didn't come for more than a month.

And MS/Tecmo still had the gall to release the mission pack full priced after the whole affair. Such bullshit.

The mission mode also gave you achievements for viewing replays of people earning the achievements, which sucked for anyone that actually enjoyed the challenge of this game.

riceandbeans said:
Both. There's no one or the other :lol

Did they fix the huge slowdown portion towards the end of the game where you fight literally 20+ guys at once at the staircase? That portion was absolutely fucking epic, but the slowdown kind of brought it down.
They "fixed" it by greatly reducing the number of simultaneous characters in that encounter. Instead of fighting one continuous wave, you dispatch a handful of enemies at a time and more appear to replace those that have died. It simply isn't the same.

The whole NG2 & Sigma 2 back story is still a sour point with me. As much as I love the series both versions have easily correctable shortcomings that still bother me. Once again, we're left without a truly definitive version.

Skilotonn said:

For me too. I like what I've played of God of War III, but it just doesn't hold a candle to NGII's epic combat.

mernst23

Just finished up the rest of the first 16 missions on master. Only 1 achievement left, the weapon golds. (I already have DSword and Scythe). I really can't believe I'm gonna do it, this game is like my best gaming accomplishment ever.

Edit: In the last week I've gotten gold/mnm on missions 10-14, 17, 21-22

I guess that year long break I took honed my skills. Only the Tonfa, Flails, Talon, and Lunar Golds to go.

Dresden

Damn, this thread brings back memories.

NG's combat truly is untouchable. Not even Bayonetta feels as good as NG. No action game has felt more fluid or natural than this.

danmaku

I reached chapter 8: the difficulty in this game is totally fucked up. It took me forever to beat the first 3 chapters and now I cleared 5,6 and 7 without any problem. I died a few times, but that's all. I'm certainly getting better at the game, but still it surprises me that I beat Genshin (chapter 7) on my first try while Rasetsu on chapter 2 was a fucking nightmare (so much that I wanted to give up).

desh

Chapter 8 reminds you that the game is indeed difficult. Although, I wonder if I'm making the game more difficult on myself by hoarding the life of gods and lives of a thousand gods, so I can use them as heals in the later chapters.

rvy

Banned
Dresden said:
Damn, this thread brings back memories.

NG's combat truly is untouchable. Not even Bayonetta feels as good as NG. No action game has felt more fluid or natural than this.
Indeed. It's too bad that it's nowhere near NG as far as the rest goes, because the combat far surpasses it. It's so visceral and offensive. Fucking insane when everything goes right.

High hopes for Itagaki's new game.

Top Bottom