• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection welcome to the hardcore

assurdum

Banned
So bought the last week, surely not a massive effort in the port (NGS1 has no rumble because it's basically the PS3 version) but outside that, I adore this series. It's a pity any games played until now never give me back the same fun. I think NGS1 is the top notch, just unreachable, so perfect and untouchable. The whole collection seems to runs 4k 60 FPS on pro too, though some effects are clearly low buffer (the heat distortion in the lava cave is really ugly, the IQ seems so low resolution) but man what a joy to play. I adore the atmosphere. I almost finished it. NGS2 to the other side, I don't know, played a bit the original, finished just the Sigma version, but he doesn't give me the same feeling of the first. I found most of the level really uninspired and ugly? I mean Venice, the Russian capital feel like seems so simple and flat compared NGS1 level. Still I have to touch the third, I heard is really awful. Very curious about it.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So bought the last week, surely not a massive effort in the port (NGS1 has no rumble because it's basically the PS3 version) but outside that, I adore this series. It's a pity any games played until now never give me back the same fun. I think NGS1 is the top notch, just unreachable, so perfect and untouchable. The whole collection seems to runs 4k 60 FPS on pro too, though some effects are clearly low buffer (the heat distortion in the lava cave is really ugly, the IQ seems so low resolution) but man what a joy to play. I adore the atmosphere. I almost finished it. NGS2 to the other side, I don't know, played a bit the original, finished just the Sigma version, but he doesn't give me the same feeling of the first. I found most of the level really uninspired and ugly? I mean Venice, the Russian capital feel like seems so simple and flat compared NGS1 level.
Both masterpieces, and in my top 10 best games ever made list. They truly don't make games like this anymore. Glad you're enjoying it.

While Ninja Gaiden Black is definitely the most polished game of the two, with a great balance of cool exploration in levels, puzzles, and well-balanced bosses, Ninja Gaiden 2 is the pinnacle of action combat. The combat is multiple times faster and more frenetic than NGB and the obliteration technique is such an amazing addition. When I go back between these two masterpieces, NG2 is just so far ahead in terms of the quality of the combat gameplay.

I continue to be surprised that anyone tries to underrate NG2.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well Tecmo claim it's the PS3 version but I don't think anyone has confirmed that with the final release
But the Trailer and Screenshots was definitely the Vita version

If Ryu looks like this in NGS1, then it definitely the Vita version
Ninja-Gaiden-Master-Collection-Tips-Featured-Image.jpg

This is the PS3 version
960x-1

Notice the textures are better despite being lower resolution
Or for example his arm guards, the texture is completely missing in the Vita version and in the screenshot they release for the Master Collection.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
NGS1 is the Vita version, that's why it has no rumble 😂
NGS1 was released first on PS3....from what I seen seem the carbon copy of the PS3 version outside the resolution. And psvita highly probable was the straight porting of the PS3 version which hasn't the rumble because the infamous sixasis controller hasn't it on PS3.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Both masterpieces, and in my top 10 best games ever made list. They truly don't make games like this anymore. Glad you're enjoying it.

While Ninja Gaiden Black is definitely the most polished game of the two, with a great balance of cool exploration in levels, puzzles, and well-balanced bosses, Ninja Gaiden 2 is the pinnacle of action combat. The combat is multiple times faster and more frenetic than NGB and the obliteration technique is such an amazing addition. When I go back between these two masterpieces, NG2 is just so far ahead in terms of the quality of the combat gameplay.

I continue to be surprised that anyone tries to underrate NG2.
I don't know, NG to me feel so better. More tough, more interesting environment. In the second you can kill every enemies with one hit after you have mutilated. Completely unbalanced advantage them. And some areas are really uninspired. Sure neither NG1 was exactly the state art from this point of views but Venice or the Russian city, are too much ugly and anonymous for my tastes

Last edited:

Unk Adams

Banned
I'm actually happy they released Sigma versions on PS3 instead of just porting the originals or giving them an HD update. I played them and enjoyed them on Xbox and liked seeing another developer's vision of the games.

assurdum

Banned
I'm actually happy they released Sigma versions on PS3 instead of just porting the originals or giving them an HD update. I played them and enjoyed them on Xbox and liked seeing another developer's vision of the games.
Never understood the hate. The difference are really minimal. Especially in NGS1. Played NGBlack, they just removed an area, don't know the reason but wasn't particularly fun neither. Probably NGS2 revisionism is a bit more drastic, censored, maybe too easy too with less enemies, but the final quality more or less was that. It was already a step back to the first, unfortunately.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Never understood the hate. The difference are really minimal. Especially in NGS1. Played NGBlack, they just removed an area, don't know the reason but wasn't particularly fun neither. Probably NGS2 revisionism is a bit more drastic, censored, maybe too easy too with less enemies, but the final quality more or less was that. It was already a step back to the first, unfortunately.

Yeah Sigma 1 isn't that much different from Black.

I think the Rachel areas sucked and the game was better off if it was separate content. I'm kinda indifferent on some item placements and the removal of certain stuff (generally Sigma is more streamlined, takes away some exploration). But the Doku prologue fight was sort of neat.

NG2 however is like a different game to me. Especially since the Xbox One the game is pretty much flawless in terms of performance (its locked 60fps, 1440p/4k with HDR). Its a more linear game than 1, with faster and more viscious combat. But in Sigma 2 the level design just feels wrong (its very empty, which should even be noticable if you never played NG2) as do the sub weapons with infinite ammo and the removal of explosive shurikens kinda sucks. The OT mechanics without blood also felt off, its like slashing dolls.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I've been playing "Black" and vanilla Ninja Gaiden 2 again over the last few weeks on Series X. I've already beaten both of them since I got the Series X in November, but I'm back at it, playing the hard mode of Black now. These games are still so great!

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I admire this, but to me it's sort of like saying "Well, I've never tried ketchup on top of ice cream before, so this isn't so bad."

Top Bottom