• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Theory teases new project, unveiling soon

clem84

Gold Member
number of good ninja theory games: 0
number of financially successful ninja theory games: 0

how do they keep trucking along while every other middling tier studio is getting closed left and right

They obviously are profitable or else they wouldn't be around.

Heavenly sword was ok but Enslaved was pretty good. Last I heard it also did decent numbers.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
were they?

I think so
datartaufo.png

Korigama

question
Heavenly sword sold over 2 million on the PS3, has DmC pass 2 million yet on 3 platforms?
Actually, Heavenly Sword managed just over 1 million (mainly due to Europe), not turning a profit for Sony, but it did break even. DmC's shipment numbers were downgraded from a projected 2 million to 1.2 million by the end of the recently ended fiscal year, but they had only shipped 1 million worldwide by that point. They haven't sold anywhere near that much.

Whatever it is, it's gonna bomb.

I wanna say that whatever they touch turns to shit, but it's more like they're only capable of creating shit. An important distinction.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Heavenly Sword 2 or something downloadable.

Looking forward to it either way.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Don't worry, they're quite obscure titles and not heavily marketed sections of them either, so I would guess most people didn't know.

and they are both EA published games(EA Partners Program) that got released close to each other...

Zarx

number of good ninja theory games: 0
number of financially successful ninja theory games: 0

how do they keep trucking along while every other middling tier studio is getting closed left and right

great pitch men and know how to manage a schedule and balance a budget I assume.

This is one of those development studios that makes you wonder how they keep being given large sums of money.

They have literally never had a big hit. Their titles range from mediocre sales to hugely disappointing sales.
Maybe they talk an extremely big game and manage to get in front of people who aren't used to utterly shameless self-promoters who can't back up their pitch.

TheHater

Actually, Heavenly Sword managed just over 1 million (mainly due to Europe), not turning a profit for Sony, but it did break even. DmC's shipment numbers were downgraded from a projected 2 million to 1.2 million by the end of the recently ended fiscal year, but they had only shipped 1 million worldwide by that point. They haven't sold anywhere near that much.

actually, Heavenly Sword sold over 1.5 million as of May 2010

farisr

If it's DmC2 I hope they announce that they've outsourced the writing for it like they did with Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. The writing and acting was easily the weakest part of that game and made me think they should never do their own stories again.

Aww really. I was looking forward to DmC just for the story/characters alone because I liked Heavenly Sword's so much. I heard good things about Enslaved's story as well so I thought it was almost a sure thing DmC's would be good too.

Oh well. At least this dampened some of my expectations. Would've been pretty bad to go into the game with those ones. Still a ways off though, have about a 100 games in my backlog to get through before I can buy new games. And there are about 20 games on my to-buy list before DmC.

Monocle

Ninja Theory did a good job downgrading DMC from the premiere action game franchise to B-tier rental fodder, so I'm looking forward to whatever they tackle next. Perhaps a new Ninja Gaiden game that dispenses with ninja themed swordplay and focuses on Ryu's quest for self-discovery as an artilleryman in the Russo-Japanese War. Fans will be furious, but fuck them, right?

To be fair, DmC was NT's best game and as a standalone action game, it would have been considered great. Unfortunately, it's a Devil May Cry game.

And as far as they go it's a below average Devil May Cry game, when it should have been a great DMC game, coming off of 4's mixed reception.

I do think that NT could do a good Onimusha. If someone else wrote the the story.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
A never ending nightmare. I hope it's a new IP because that's where their talents usually shine.

Kung Fu Chaos,Heavenly Sword and Enslaved are all bad games.

I really think the only way for NT is to not make action games but to do something in telltale/Quantic Dream interactive movie style-genre since they get praised for their storytelling (I think their stories are bad) and the mo-cap tech they use from the reviewers usually.

Ninja Theory did a good job downgrading DMC from the premiere action game franchise to B-tier rental fodder, so I'm looking forward to whatever they tackle next. Perhaps a new Ninja Gaiden game that dispenses with ninja themed swordplay and focuses on Ryu's quest for self-discovery as an artilleryman in the Russo-Japanese War. Fans will be furious, but fuck them, right?
Considering what Team Ninja have already did to Ninja Gaiden with 3 and (speculating) Yaiba, NT can't really do any worse.

Endo Punk

Kung Fu Chaos,Heavenly Sword and Enslaved are all bad games.

I really think the only way for NT is to not make action games but to do something in telltale/Quantic Dream interactive movie style-genre since they get praised for their storytelling (I think their stories are bad) and the mo-cap tech they use from the reviewers usually.

I agree but they are bad games tht I couldn't give a shit about and continue to ignore them, I prefer that than bad games in franchises I love. They need to stay the hell away from my favourite franchises and continue to make new IPs.

To be fair, DmC was NT's best game and as a standalone action game, it would have been considered great. Unfortunately, it's a Devil May Cry game.

And as far as they go it's a below average Devil May Cry game, when it should have been a great DMC game, coming off of 4's mixed reception.

I do think that NT could do a good Onimusha. If someone else wrote the the story.

And to be fair, Capcom helped out a great deal on gameplay, which is absolutely essential of a DMC game. So I wouldn't even say DmC was purely a NT since NT was quiet clueless about gameplay

Monocle

Considering what Team Ninja have already did to Ninja Gaiden with 3 and (speculating) Yaiba, NT can't really do any worse.
True enough, I suppose. Then again, Razor's Edge happened, so somebody must have puzzled out some of the reasons NG3 was garbage. I'd like to see Capcom display similar self awareness.

jett

D-Member
The answer is also yes, but it's quite uncommon since it's not overwhelmingly straightforward.

shadows-of-the-damnedw5fod.jpg

Those garbage levels are so fucking awful I actually wish 2D games weren't possible in UE3.

Anyone that recommends Shadow of the Damned is not to be trusted.

Endo Punk

And to be fair, Capcom helped out a great deal on gameplay, which is absolutely essential of a DMC game. So I wouldn't even say DmC was purely a NT since NT was quiet clueless about gameplay

And that's what people don't realise. DmC was co-developed and the game was never going to be considered good if NT did it themselves like originally intended. The praise people give the gameplay to "prove" NT's worth is unwarranted. Just look at how dogshit HS and Enslaved play like. Capcom wont get the praise from these people because they have absolutely convinced themself that DMC is bad in Capcoms hands no matter what.

What's NT REALLY good at it anyway that's so special?

Gameplay? Lacking as an action game. No platform/traversing smoothness or subtlety.
Art? Sure, maybe environmental. Character design? Dubious. but video game is also meant to be played
Story: maybe "superior" given that it's a video game, but it doesnt really stand out. Are we really considering Enslaved the pinnacle of video game storytelling?
Facial/motion capture? Check
The DmC environmental shift? Sure cool at first, but the cynic in me also feels like they take what was in Inception and beat to death with it as a gimmick

Help me out here.

Monocle

And that's what people don't realise. DmC was co-developed and the game was never going to be considered good if NT did it themselves like originally intended. The praise people give the gameplay to "prove" NT's worth is unwarranted. Just look at how dogshit HS and Enslaved play like. Capcom wont get the praise from these people because they have absolutely convinced themself that DMC is bad in Capcoms hands no matter what.
I almost wish Capcom had left NT to their own devices just so we could see the monstrosity they would have wrought, but that wouldn't be fair to people who enjoyed the game we ended up with: a serviceable action title doomed from its inception by a standard of quality well beyond NT's capabilities.

Even DMC4 sharts a mighty fountain of diarrhea on DmC, and DMC4 used to be the closest thing we had to a middling DMC game, well above DMC2 but well below DMC1 and DMC3.

Those garbage levels are so fucking awful I actually wish 2D games weren't possible in UE3.

That was EatChildren's top 3 game from last year right?

jett
Banned
(Today, 11:44 PM)

but really, both SotD and Alice won my award for "stylish but SUPER repetitive UE3 shooter of 2012". A most contentious title!

Dahbomb

Dahbomb love DmC,so it's not a surprise.

but yeah NT on Onimusha will be a huge mess,it's like asking One Direction to write a song about the Arab Spring.
I don't love DmC, I like it.

Onimusha is more in line with the type of game that NT delivers. Less focus on combat and high octane action.. more on the presentation.

If you really think the few Capcom team members overseeing could create a game as good as DmC with any random code monkeys, without the bulk of the old series team, they are free to do it.

But I'm hopeful that NT has improved in action game design from Capcom's tips and their experience, and will deliver another good game, whether it's original, DMC, or another IP.

jett

D-Member
That was EatChildren's top 3 game from last year right?

jett
Banned
(Today, 11:44 PM)

but really, both SotD and Alice won my award for "stylish but SUPER repetitive UE3 shooter of 2012". A most contentious title!

I haven't played Alice but now I know I won't ever.

And maybe I will be wrong but I really doubt all of the sudden NT will just "get it" in terms of understanding the nuances of gameplay after one collaboration with Capcom if they want to keep making action games.

And I am really hesitant to give a lot of credit of DmC's combat to NT since a lot of the combat's arsenal lifts directly from previous DMC games or are variations of it. This is not to say there weren't good stuff, especially important innovations in the DMC franchise, I just find the game overall to be more fluff than substance.

Wow me with gameplay, not your (unskippable) cutscenes

I never had much invested emotionally in their DMC reboot, but it will be my turn to be enraged if it's Strider-related.

i hope it's a capcom collaboration.

I'm not really too interested in what they're doing by themselves.

Yeah... I don't think DmC turned out as well as it did (relatively speaking) because of Ninja Theory.

Defuser

If it wasn't for Hideaki Itsuno stepping to help, DmC would have been crap. Wasn't there an article saying the guys at Ninja theory doesn't understand the concept of action games which makes Hideaki Itsuno shake his head and show them how to do it?

IIRC Ninja Theory's priority is always art and story first, gameplay is secondary.

Gold_Loot

Are those stages garbage? Yes they are. The rest of that game was a pleasure to play though, boners and all.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
You haven't lived until you experienced the world's prettiest, most mundane puzzles/combat mixture again and again and again for several hours!

Thank you, based McGee

Alice MR was my goty 2011,I don't mind it been long it was so good,and chapter 4 is classic.

also its story is something NT should learn from to how you do a powerful,simple and effective story.

jett

D-Member
Are those stages garbage? Yes they are. The rest of that game was a pleasure to play though, boners and all.

I stopped at 5-1, I couldn't bring myself to continue on doing the same goddamn things over and over in every level in the game ever. Awful game design, awful level design. I thought this game would be a decent RE4-inspired game. Nope. Mikami is rolling in his grave.

You haven't lived until you experienced the world's prettiest, most mundane puzzles/combat mixture again and again and again for several hours!

Thank you, based McGee

hahaha

I stopped at 5-1, I couldn't bring myself to continue on doing the same goddamn things over and over in every level in the game ever. Awful game design, awful level design. I thought this game would be a decent RE4-inspired game. Nope. Mikami is rolling in his grave.

hahaha

You should play the second to last boss fight. Gets pretty lame on high difficulties in terms of timing. It's nothing but a chore and endurance test.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't love DmC, I like it.

Onimusha is more in line with the type of game that NT delivers. Less focus on combat and high octane action.. more on the presentation.

I didn't know people used "high octane action" outside of PR statements

but yeah I don't buy into this at all. Especially with how the Issen system evolved in the later games. Gameplay in Onimusha is as important as it is in any Capcom game.

and in terms of settings and subject matter DMC was always the better choice given Onimusha being based in feudal japanese history.

I mean unless they did a reboot that took place in some fictional setting with eastern culture influences like their other games, I don't see a Japanese company hiring a Western developer to make a game based on Japanese history.

Village

I was at the GDC panel where they showed images with "some "old Dante" homosexual jokes at people/DMC fans". They were nothing of the sort, it was a joke in relation to Capcom asking them to make DmC like a western movie. But as I've come to learn over the course of this game's development, bitter fans like to fabricate stories to make NT look bad.

And evidently you're one of those people.
Or they have done bad things, and tameem might be a bit of a douche.
That's possible.

If it wasn't for Hideaki Itsuno stepping to help, DmC would have been crap. Wasn't there an article saying the guys at Ninja theory doesn't understand the concept of action games which makes Hideaki Itsuno shake his head and show them how to do it?

IIRC Ninja Theory's priority is always art and story first, gameplay is secondary.

People want to magically forget that.

Dahbomb

We don't really know what changed with the game with Capcom's own influence so it's sort of premature to make assumptions. I mean yea it's obvious the game went through various game play changes, at one time it had contact sensitive finisher moves. But good or bad the quality of the game is attributed to NT mostly.

I can safely say they made a considerable improvement over their previous games. I hope they can improve themselves even further and get a bonafide hit to their name.

Mechazawa

It's too bad DmC doesn't have the equivalent of a DahBomb or Gunbo(he hasn't played it, right?) that falls on the other side of the fence, because there are way too many people who just come into Ninja Theory threads and post the most useless and reductive criticisms about DmC's mediocrity.

Top Bottom