• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS: 4 multi-million sellers in five months, a first for the Japanese market

JoeM86

The thing is, pre-orders are absolutely insane for this version, it's releasing around the same time as a YW movie that already broke multiple records regarding pre-ticket sales and it's the holidays. It seems the craze wasn't even at its peak when the original YW2 launched.

I don't think it's going to get a 2 mil opening (although that would be amazing), but it's obviously going to sell very very well.

I have no doubt it'll do well, but do note that Pokémon and Youkai Watch sold the amount they did at least in part due to multiple versions and people buying multiple versions. It's a large reason why Pokémon's enhanced versions never sell anywhere near the same as the originals.

Chindogg

Nah, the DS sold 150+ million. All the piracy in the world couldn't make that unprofitable. Also the software sales as someone else pointed out. Has to be above 200 million now.

Congrats to Nintendo. Continuing to prove naysayers wrong.

At this point the doom predictions really need to start relaxing. Every time someone declares doom for Nintendo, something like this happens. They're not going away, its time to accept that and embrace that the gaming industry relies on their continued existence.

Alrus

Wonder when and if so what version of Youkai Watch they're going to bring to the West.

If they go at it the same way as Inazuma Eleven, they'll start from the begining.

I have no doubt it'll do well, but do note that Pokémon and Youkai Watch sold the amount they did at least in part due to multiple versions and people buying multiple versions. It's a large reason why Pokémon's enhanced versions never sell anywhere near the same as the originals.

I honestly don't think the 2 versions are that big of a deal anymore, B2/W2 didn't sell much better than the usual third release iirc.

SSB Brawl is at 2.3M. Guess only a few months from now and it will be overtaken by SSB 3DS. Nice!
I don't know why, but I thought Brawl sold like 10 million copies. The hell was I thinking...

Regardless, those are impressive numbers and an impressive feat. The vault of cash continues to grow.

L~A

Ha ha, yeah, I don't think there's a single game that managed to sell over 10m in Japan (other than F2P mobile games, obviously).

But it's great to see Smash 3DS doing so well. I had no doubt it would have (popular series + popular platform + quality = sucess, generally).

mazpratim

Ha ha, yeah, I don't think there's a single game that managed to sell over 10m in Japan (other than F2P mobile games, obviously).

But it's great to see Smash 3DS doing so well. I had no doubt it would have (popular series + popular platform + quality = sucess, generally).

Pokemon Gen 1 did if you combine blue/red/green together I believe

You have to add Yellow as well to reach the 10m mark.
Red / Green / Blue - 7.78m
Yellow - 2,29m

Have in mind that YW is still growing. This third version will attract people that just discovered the franchise, or maybe they had merchandising but not the videogame. Pokémon is a well-estalished IP that has its own fanbase and it's hardly growing at the rate YW is.

I'm really not so sure. It took a few weeks to reach that with two versions. Here's just one game and it's not really that new. It'll be 1 million launch week at absolute best

It can open better than YW2 combined, of course if L5 provides enough stocks, and if it's not after 10 days it will be after 17 days (3 weeks)

People not living in Japan can't understand the popularity gained by YW during this year, Jinbanyan is everywhere and children are crazy for him, I think the younger audience likes him maybe more than Pikachu actually.

you have to combine 4 different games (red, blue, green and yellow) sold in 3 different times, so I don't think it's correct to count Pokemon Gen 1 sold 10mln

the top seller game in Japan is Super Mario Bros, 6,8mln, followed by New Super Mario Bros, 6,4mln
considering SMB sold that amount of units in part due to the bundle with NES, we could say that NSMB is the top seller game

iso135

Congratulations! Its good to see dedicated handheld games succeeding.

This. I wrote off handhelds for many years. Purchasing my 3DS XL ~2 years ago was one of the better gaming decisions I have made. A ton of enjoyable, refreshing games to break the monotony of xbox (360/one).

Percy

Banned
Single handedly keeping the industry alive in Japan.

I think Youkai Watch looks like such garbage, but it's nice to see a genuine third party megahit originate on 3DS at last.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wondered what Youkai Watch 2 is so I looked at the wiki entry for it and it Japaned the fuck out of my brain.

Nightbird

I wondered what Youkai Watch 2 is so I looked at the wiki entry for it and it Japaned the fuck out of my brain.

That's part of why it's so awesome.

@Topic: Those are some mighty Numbers for sure, and a proof that there is still some Money to be made on Handhelds. For me as an almost Handheld-only-Gamer, this is great News.

DizzyCrow

Quite a feat, congrats Nintendo!

I wonder if Vita is the last portable from Sony, its audience will move for the next Nintendo platform or they will all go mobile?

3DS-It-Prints-Money.gif

There needs to be Amiibo version

zeromcd73

It took Pokémon remakes 2 weeks to hit that. Youkai Watch isn't bigger than Pokémon. You're dreaming that a single enhanced version of Youkai Watch would do that.
Youkai Watch 2 Shinuchi 5 days before launch has more pre-orders on COMG than Pokemon X/Y did on launch day.

It's going to be absolutely huge and should no doubt pass 2 million in 1~2 weeks.

zeromcd73

Damn. Can't wait to see how it performs. When is it out again?
It's out this Saturday :)

The Youkai Watch movie, which BTW has broken the Japanese record for ticket pre-orders will also release in the next two weeks which should provide the series with another massive boost :)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
so what are the remaining 6 3DS games?

Pokemon X, Pokemon Y, Mario 3D Land, NSMB2, Tomodachi Collection, Mario Kart?

are there any others that might eventually reach 2 million? Layton, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter 3, etc?

It's out this Saturday :)

The Youkai Watch movie, which BTW has broken the Japanese record for ticket pre-orders will also release in the next two weeks which should provide the series with another massive boost :)
Damn x2 - Level 5 must be pleased. Hope they learn form their mistakes and don't run it into the ground.

zeromcd73

Pokemon X, Pokemon Y, Mario 3D Land, NSMB2, Tomodachi Collection, Mario Kart?
3DS has sixteen million sellers (will be seventeen next week). Not including the games you or the OP listed:

Luigi's Mansion 2
Dragon Quest VII
Youkai Watch
Youkai Watch 2 Shinuchi (next week)
Puzzles and Dragons Z
Monster Hunter 3G
Monster Hunter 4
Animal Crossing

Edit: Oops, didn't sell the "multi" part. >.<

Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire
Pokémon X / Y
Monster Hunter 4
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke

All 10 games that sold more than 2 million.

Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire
Pokémon X / Y
Monster Hunter 4
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke

All 10 games that sold more than 2 million.

If I'm not wrong, Tomodachi is also extremely close right? About 1.8 - 1.9?

Top Bottom